• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Imagine a thread where people are bashing Sony because someone said a game would be X resolution and is released under X... people hating in Stadia and ignoring iD, typical Stadia thread.
You've been asleep all last gen or something?
Sony was blasted for the performance of 3rd party games and Nintendo was blasted for WiiU when devs couldn't be arsed in providing anything but a subpar performance.
It's par for the course really.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Comments like this are the problem. Bet you didn't even test it and shitpost just because its cool and you can. Toxic as fuck
I've tried google's game streaming. It was garbage as fuck compared to playing on a PC at 144hz. Vsync lag, streaming lag, compressed image, only 60fps, etc. No way would I ever even consider purchasing a game only playable on that service.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the point of Stadia supposed to be future proofing so people wouldnt have to buy next gen consoles?
Performing worse than Xbox One X with the new consoles right around the corner is not that...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ don't ask me.

Worth noting that it performs the same as the Xbox One X version (1800p/60fps)

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
They can't keep up with all the hardware demands, what with the service being so wildly and unexpectedly right out the gate. Yep. Definitely.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Once it comes out, things like latency will also be a big factor in deciding whether it's more capable than 3 out of the 4 platforms though.

If the latency of a stream is gonna make a native 900p version more capable than a 1800p version for you then I'd say that you shouldn't be considering streaming services at all.

We know what the latency is because we've been able to play lots of other Stadia games. It's fine and perfectly playable.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the point of Stadia supposed to be future proofing so people wouldnt have to buy next gen consoles?
Performing worse than Xbox One X with the new consoles right around the corner is not that...
Any of these cloud services can just change it the hardware which is what future proofing refers to.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I see this as a kind-of positive thing - this sounds like the first time a Stadia game actually matches Xbox One X quality and framerate. Until now most games have been at Xbox One / PS4 quality, not X / Pro quality.
Maybe some but I've been playing through the Tomb Raider trilogy on Stadia, they doubled the framerate from XB1 on all games, looked gorgeous.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If the latency of a stream is gonna make a native 900p version more capable than a 1800p version for you then I'd say that you shouldn't be considering streaming services at all.

We know what the latency is because we've been able to play lots of other Stadia games. It's fine and perfectly playable.

it's a but uneven though.

RDR2 has less input latency than the XBX Version while other games like FFXV have worse/more notable latency.

Metro Exodus IIRC also had more notable latency as per DF.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
When Google unveiled its streaming platform at the Game Developers Conference in 2019, id boss Marty Stratton took to the stage to say Doom Eternal would run at "true 4K" - prompting a round of applause form the audience.
This ones on iD, not Google.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some but I've been playing through the Tomb Raider trilogy on Stadia, they doubled the framerate from XB1 on all games, looked gorgeous.
I never realized how much I cared about framerate until playing Destiny on Stadia and Division 2 on GeForce Now and then trying to go back to the 30fps versions on my PS4.
Now I'm hooked lol

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Any of these cloud services can just change it the hardware which is what future proofing refers to.
Yeah, but they could change their hardware now to give a better than console experience, but they're not. Why should anyone believe that Google specifically will follow through on their promise of future proofing when they can't even outdo a soon to be replaced console?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You've been asleep all last gen or something?
Sony was blasted for the performance of 3rd party games and Nintendo was blasted for WiiU when devs couldn't be arsed in providing anything but a subpar performance.
It's par for the course really.
PS3 had a bad devkit, devs complained all the time it was hard to develop, some didn't even use the SPU... I haven't heard anything about Stadia being difficult to develop or anything close to that.

I still think the % Google take from each sale is proportional to hoe much GPU power theh use so devs are just aiming at XOX levels of performance while next gen doesn't come.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but they could change their hardware now to give a better than console experience, but they're not. Why should anyone believe that Google specifically will follow through on their promise of future proofing when they can't even outdo a soon to be replaced console?
I was explaining the concept, whether it is implements by Google, MS or Nvidia for their cloud services is up to them.

This weird idea that Google setup this system and is wilfully lying to us is pretty weird.

Everyone would agree that the way they are rolling this out it's not in line to what gamers are used to but they are building 2 studios and acquired another, not really in line with panicking and closing shop

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
PS3 had a bad devkit, devs complained all the time it was hard to develop, some didn't even use the SPU... I haven't heard anything about Stadia being difficult to develop or anything close to that.

I still think the % Google take from each sale is proportional to hoe much GPU power theh use so devs are just aiming at XOX levels of performance while next gen doesn't come.
You're delusional if you think anyone gaving shit to Sony about ps3 lack of performance gave any kind of a shit about any of this.
Again Google's issue is one of perception and this is exactly what you're seeing when people give shit to Google about Doom Eternal.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Why not hold Microsoft and Sony to the same standard and demand for them to release a better version of their hardware, every single time a game doesn't reach native 4K? If you don't want to believe anything that Google says that is your prerogative, but there are of course several logical reasons why someone can say that it is more than likely and possible for Google to continue to upgrade the Stadia hardware over time. Look at Microsoft and how they plan to upgrade the Xcloud hardware with the Series X and Sony will probably do the same with the PS5 hardware on PS Now. The only problem here is how Stadia over promised and under delivered, but taken by itself a 1800P/60fps/HDR stream is more than aceptable for a lot of people. Just look at any Geforce Now thread and how most people are enjoying games (me included) at 1080P without HDR.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
At half the resolution and cut down effects though. You can either play those games at 4k/30 or 1080p/60, and you don't get the extra effects the XBox One X enhancements added. You're right that the games still look great, and 60fps/1080p makes for a great experience. But it's still worse than Xbox One X, whereas Doom Eternal is the same (supposedly - it's possible some visual effects were cut down).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia was supposed to be future-proof "out of the box" though. Sure, they could upgrade their hardware if they choose to, but they announced from the start that the hardware would be roughly twice as powerful as Xbox One X, which it clearly isn't. Even with the specific GPU/CPU/memory they announced, the games should be at least matching Xbox One X - Destiny 2 on that hardware should have been at 4k/60fps/High Quality, not 1080p/60fps/Medium Quality.

Stadia was also supposed to be future-proof by allowing developers to use two server instances for one game if they wanted, for even more power.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's a similar feeling amongst the people who bought into Stadia and the folks who bought into PSTV. I bought PSTV eventually when it hit twenty bucks, and even that seemed like a stupid waste of money that I should have thought through more, I probably won't make the same mistake with Stadia. It's a shame though, I think Stadia had real potential, it's just that Google shot it in the foot so many times, and the gun manages to just keep going off in the exact same place somehow; it's actually kind of remarkable.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You're delusional if you think anyone gaving shit to Sony about ps3 lack of performance gave any kind of a shit about any of this.
Again Google's issue is one of perception and this is exactly what you're seeing when people give shit to Google about Doom Eternal.
Go on and trash Google then, we can pretend nothing else matters. For sure Google announced a 10+TF platform and it run games just like 2-6TF platforms from years ago... and all the blame is on Google! Even when a dev says they will run in 4K and it ends up not running, the problem is not the dev, it is Google!

And if you didn't read well, I actually said that the problem might be Google (YES!) and presented a theory for the reasons devs are not using all the available GPU performance right now. But in this case the devs said 4k and if they didn't reach 4k, well, their problem I guess. No Man's Sky promised the world and underdelivered and got shat on, and they announced all the stuff in a Playstation E3 Conference but noone ever put the blame on Sony for them misleading players, right?

You guys just love to hate Google

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was explaining the concept, whether it is implements by Google, MS or Nvidia for their cloud services is up to them.

This weird idea that Google setup this system and is wilfully lying to us is pretty weird.

Everyone would agree that the way they are rolling this out it's not in line to what gamers are used to but they are building 2 studios and acquired another, not really in line with panicking and closing shop
Underdelivering doesn't imply malice on Google's part. But they are underdelivering nonetheless and that doesn't inspire confidence. The phrasing in my last post was bad too; I don't think they're just not gonna upgrade their hardware at all (that would be an extremely dumb move with next gen coming soon), but we have no idea how or when these upgrades will come.

There was a publicized incident recently where a programmer complained about developing on Linux and Linus himself stepped in. I'm not sure who ended up being right on that particular debate.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Go on and trash Google then, we can pretend nothing else matters. For sure Google announced a 10+TF platform and it run games just like 2-6TF platforms from years ago... and all the blame is on Google! Even when a dev says they will run in 4K and it ends up not running, the problem is not the dev, it is Google!

And if you didn't read well, I actually said that the problem might be Google (YES!) and presented a theory for the reasons devs are not using all the available GPU performance right now. But in this case the devs said 4k and if they didn't reach 4k, well, their problem I guess. No Man's Sky promised the world and underdelivered and got shat on, and they announced all the stuff in a Playstation E3 Conference but noone ever put the blame on Sony for them misleading players, right?

Exactly. What I demand from people is to at least not have a double standard. Having different rules to measure a problem, depending on who you're measuring, is not a good way to have an objetive opinion.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonising another member

You fanboys are something else.
Where exactly did I trash Google here exactly?
And you're telling me that the company that got shit for Killzone 2, Lair and numerous other shit was never blamed for anything?
PS3 was trashed for not even having games at all to the point it became a meme.
PS3_HAS_NO_GAME_by_FreshNfly89.png.jpg

What is happening with Google is really the consolidation of its image in the gaming community.
Sony distanced itself rather quickly from Hello Games AND No Man's Sky was merely 1 in a long list of games they were promoting.
Same reason they didn't get shit for Shenmue 3 disappointing anyone pre or post release.
There are little news for Stadia and what little there is is negative, Google not bothering to communicate is certainly not helping.
It's not the gaming community's job to push a platform.

sandweed

May 8, 2018
It's really funny that you guys are defending poor google, every single bad thing about Stadia they could afford to avoid, but they don't and they won't.

-Posted from my Android Phone.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Oh another Stadia hate thread, cool I guess. Considering the recommended hardware by ID needed for 4k60 is quite high, it doesn't sound that bad. Stuff changes during development and I guess they were sure it would work out like that a year ago. It's not like downgrades, change of features / promises is something new in game development... I mean, just look at any platform announcement or E3 game announcement...

This board got some serious double standard issues. Not even positive Stadia threads remain constructive but end in a lot of drive-by shitposts.

And when those downgrades/broken promises happen, it becomes a topic of discussion. Why should this time be different?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

That post about making posts "based on hurt feelings about hurting my preferred megacorps feelings" sure aged well.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's less about it still being impressive to pull off streaming gaming AT ALL with the quality they can do, it's the fact that they kept touting 4k 60fps with Doom SPECIFICALLY (if I recall correctly), and it ended up being bullshit.

Stadia is such a laughingstock at this point it's almost sad.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why though. Stadia should at least be capable of higher res/fps than XBX and here it's not the case. Maybe they've simply decided to not optimize the game for Stadia's h/w and are using the XBX version there essentially?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder why though. Stadia should at least be capable of higher res/fps than XBX and here it's not the case. Maybe they've simply decided to not optimize the game for Stadia's h/w and are using the XBX version there essentially?
Like always it's never an issue of it's doable or not but whether they consider the effort worth doing.
Doom Eternal could probably run like the best thing ever but I doubt Bethesda will be happy to see Id waste so much time on something that is gonna sell so little.
It's probably good enough for what they need and don't want to push it further because why would you need to.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That post about making posts "based on hurt feelings about hurting my preferred megacorps feelings" sure aged well.
That was me and it still applies :P

How much of the posts in Stadia threads are not just fanboy crap?

It defies logic that every thread end up the same regardless of the actual subject otherwise .

The system undeniably has a low user base but amazingly there is an endless tital wave of people saying how terrible it is in every thread without any actual experience with the product itself.

On topic, still waiting for a performance review of Stadia vs PS4 pro before biting the bullet on Doom

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought we already knew that Stadia isn't streaming games at true 4K? I thought that was one of the major criticisms when it launched that their 4k wasn't native.

Either way stadia is a fucking joke.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

I wish you'd read the article. There's this handy quote here

"On the other hand id Software was the dev Google has been hyping up as working on Stadia for almost five years now and they've been very enthusiastic towards the platform so if even they can't hit 4K60 I think people can no longer keep saying the inability to hit 4K60 is a result of the devs and not the hardware."

I think we're nearly At that point.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
After looking at the insane hardware requirements of the PC version it makes total sense.
I hope you looked close enough to see that those 4k specs aren't requirements to be able to run at 4k60FPS on PC, they're the requirements for maxing the game out at 4k60fps. Those are settings none of the consoles or Stadia are likely to even get close to.

qjaPJvb.png

oaHUVmX.png

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Get past their initial shitty messaging and in context of this thread and the reality is you have a version of Doom that seemingly is on par with the XB1X, out performs every other console including ps4 pro, that you can play in a tab in your Chrome browser,TV (with Chromecast) or phone and you can switch between these devices on the fly.

And it will almost assuredly be the fastest to load based off of previous games on Stadia.

It's amazing how all of this is discounted for...reasons.

The game will have cons vs other versions but this black and white dialogue where Stadia is just bad is beyond absurd.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we already knew that Stadia isn't streaming games at true 4K? I thought that was one of the major criticisms when it launched that their 4k wasn't native.

Stadia is very much streaming games at true 4k. Now, whether the game itself is rendering that resolution, that's a different question entirely (and the subject of this thread). But some games are rendering at full 4k, and the stream is delivering the full 4k resolution.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get how games have a million things to deal with at launch, how maybe it can't get optimized in time, the platform changes, etc, etc. No issues.

What I am totally baffled by is how Google seems to be completely indifferent to how their system is perceived by gaming enthusiasts. If they wanted, they could pay Bethesda/ID $10m and say "make Stadia the BEST place to play Doom eternal at launch, barring high end PCs". It really feels like they just don't care at all, and other stories echo these sentiments - that Google offers very little incentive to devs to port, and almost none to optimize for Stadia.

Its like they own a gaming environment but view it just as a place to experiment rather than as a business to grow and be proud of.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you looked close enough to see that those 4k specs aren't requirements to be able to run at 4k60FPS on PC, they're the requirements for maxing the game out at 4k60fps. Those are settings none of the consoles or Stadia are likely to even get close to.

qjaPJvb.png

oaHUVmX.png
You are right, I didn't pay attention to that. Still assuming Stadia is a Vega56 it would probably be impossible to get 4K/60fps even with medium/high settings.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Get past their initial shitty messaging and in context of this thread and the reality is you have a version of Doom that seemingly is on par with the XB1X, out performs every other console including ps4 pro, that you can play in a tab in your Chrome browser,TV (with Chromecast) or phone and you can switch between these devices on the fly.

And it will almost assuredly be the fastest to load based off of previous games on Stadia.

The game will have cons vs other versions but this black and white dialogue where Stadia is just bad is beyond absurd.

All of this gets ignored in the noise, even though they are very cool features. Google made this about power and not convenience and low barrier of access as they should have. Time will continue to go on and better games will come that take advantage of what is possible in the cloud and the promised features will eventually come out, but in the meantime they have to suffer unnecessarily just because they were not clear about their service.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I totally get how games have a million things to deal with at launch, how maybe it can't get optimized in time, the platform changes, etc, etc. No issues.

What I am totally baffled by is how Google seems to be completely indifferent to how their system is perceived by gaming enthusiasts. If they wanted, they could pay Bethesda/ID $10m and say "make Stadia the BEST place to play Doom eternal at launch, barring high end PCs". It really feels like they just don't care at all, and other stories echo these sentiments - that Google offers very little incentive to devs to port, and almost none to optimize for Stadia.

Its like they own a gaming environment but view it just as a place to experiment rather than as a business to grow and be proud of.

Well, so far we can assume it will be better on regards to graphics settings and framerate, when compared to the Xbox One, PS4 and PS4 Pro versions. Using previous games as reference, the most we can expect out of the Stadia version is to be equal to the One X version. When you take into account that you don't have to pay the price of the console to play the game, it really can be a good value for some people. Google decided to make this a power comparison and this is how they are being judged, when it was not necessary at all. Look at Geforce Now and how you rarely see complaints about the service being limited to 1080P without HDR.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
At half the resolution and cut down effects though. You can either play those games at 4k/30 or 1080p/60, and you don't get the extra effects the XBox One X enhancements added. You're right that the games still look great, and 60fps/1080p makes for a great experience. But it's still worse than Xbox One X, whereas Doom Eternal is the same (supposedly - it's possible some visual effects were cut down).
Should've been more direct, I replied to this:
"Until now most games have been at Xbox One / PS4 quality"
That's not the case at all on the TR games, Nixxes has made three stellar ports for Stadia, haven't finished Shadow yet but so far it looks gorgeous at 60 rock solid fps.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most disappointing thing about stadia, games not running at what they were promised
and I won't take it seriously until they are running at those specs

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
All of this gets ignored in the noise, even though they are very cool features. Google made this about power and not convenience and low barrier of access as they should have. Time will continue to go on and better games will come that take advantage of what is possible in the cloud and the promised features will eventually come out, but in the meantime they have to suffer unnecessarily just because they were not clear about their service.
Pretty much, games will not be judged on their own merits but rather on what that guy said a year ago before any games had been released or finished on the platform.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if this is how it actually performs, 1800p/60fps is impressive and promising for the future of streaming.

That said, Stadia's business model is enough to get a big nope from me.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I dont think anyone should look past false advertising. The only thing be discounted here is saying we should ignore them lying to us. Everyone else already knows the pitch of stadia however, which is why those things aren't be discussed here as positives.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to the -58 of you who were looking forward to this version of the game