• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Google said they would stream in 4k, not that the games themselves would be 4k.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
1800p/60fps (upscaled to 4k) matches the Xbox One X version. While I'm kinda ok with that (the final requirements for 4k/60 are pretty high - a 2080Ti), id did totally say that it'd run in 'true 4k' at the Stadia announcement. Which looks incredibly stupid now.

"We couldn't be happier to be bringing Doom Eternal to Stadia, and are thrilled to announce that the game will be capable of running at true 4K resolution, with HDR colour at an unrelenting 60 frames per second."

Oct 27, 2017
"When Google unveiled its streaming platform at the Game Developers Conference in 2019, id boss Marty Stratton took to the stage to say Doom Eternal would run at "true 4K" - prompting a round of applause form the audience."

I mean this is more of a id issue than google. Also it's not like the other console manufacturers have stated 4K and not have it be close. Like 4k from checkboarded 1440p sources for certain games.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh another Stadia hate thread, cool I guess. Considering the recommended hardware by ID needed for 4k60 is quite high, it doesn't sound that bad. Stuff changes during development and I guess they were sure it would work out like that a year ago. It's not like downgrades, change of features / promises is something new in game development... I mean, just look at any platform announcement or E3 game announcement...

This board got some serious double standard issues. Not even positive Stadia threads remain constructive but end in a lot of drive-by shitposts.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Google: Don't worry, we will deliver with Stadia!

Gamers: Nah, you won't.

Google: .... Damn you're good.

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
Blame Bethesda. They advertised that it will be playable at true 4K on stage. You can watch the video.
the same happened with games (publishers/developers)on consoles. Developers telling lies again. Shocking news.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm, its almost like there is no magic bullet to control the conditions of all the various ISPs, and so quality was always in doubt. The promise was always greater than the product.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should have lowered expectations from the start. No one would have complained at 1080p on a handheld

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Oh another Stadia hate thread, cool I guess. Considering the recommended hardware by ID needed for 4k60 is quite high, it doesn't sound that bad. Stuff changes during development and I guess they were sure it would work out like that a year ago. It's not like downgrades, change of features / promises is something new in game development... I mean, just look at any platform announcement or E3 game announcement...

This board got some serious double standard issues. Not even positive Stadia threads remain constructive but end in a lot of drive-by shitposts.
because the service is awful and google does not need your defence

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hmmm, its almost like there is no magic bullet to control the conditions of all the various ISPs, and so quality was always in doubt. The promise was always greater than the product.

What does this even have to do with the topic

because the service is awful and google does not need your defence

Comments like this are the problem. Bet you didn't even test it and shitpost just because its cool and you can. Toxic as fuck

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This place is getting embarrassing at this point with Stadia topics, like holy shit.

It's clear at this point there are limitations with the hardware, the initial communications were disastrous which is likely went Phil is in hiding.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to seeing how the One X handles this game.

It's 1800p upscaled to 4k, same as the Stadia version.

Stadia
1800p upscaled to 4k/60fps

Xbox One X
1800p upscaled to 4k/60fps

PS4 Pro
1440p upscaled to 4k/60fps

PS4
1080p/60fps

Xbox One
900p upscaled to 1080/60fps

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Still buying it day one. People talked a ton of shit about Destiny 2's performance and I thought it was terrific, so I have no misgivings about playing Doom on it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
1800p actually doesn't sound too bad. Probably higher res than most pc players would be playing at anyway. Even at 60 fps though, it won't feel nearly as good through streaming.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I have a 4K TV and 350Mbit/s down, but 1080p is enough for me. I see the first year of the service as beta testing.

Stadia for AAA+ games and Switch for Nintendo/indies/others is enough for a man in my point in life. My PC is basically today only used as a Kodi/Plex server.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I legit thought they shut Stadia down. Maybe that was something else that I'm mixing it up with.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 1800p upscaled to 4k if you can stream at highest quality. Only 1080p if you're using the free tier.
I know that, but they still set expectations too high. Just saying "higher resolutions" in the paid tier would have been suffice. Id coming out with "true 4k" and likewise for other games doesn't help with the narrative

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I see this as a kind-of positive thing - this sounds like the first time a Stadia game actually matches Xbox One X quality and framerate. Until now most games have been at Xbox One / PS4 quality, not X / Pro quality.

People who are saying the developer "lied", development happens. Not all announcements over a year before release are able to come true. Maybe at the time they made the statement, it was running at full 4k/60, but maybe when they delayed the game's release, they improved the graphics so it could no longer reach that resolution while maintaining the important framerate. Or maybe they thought they could do full 4k/60, but during development just couldn't manage it, or maybe the hardware wasn't as powerful as they were led to believe (that's my theory, based on the fact that even Destiny 2 couldn't manage any better than 1080p/medium quality, even with Google's direct development help).

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Google should do what they do best and abandon Stadia because this is a cesspool of false advertisement. Typical Google.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have a 4K TV and 350Mbit/s down, but 1080p is enough for me. I see the first year of the service as beta testing.

and nobody would have had an issue if it had been announced as a beta without all these promises of 4K/60, more power than current gen consoles combined and yet most games look sub par.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Somewhat disappointing, but given the minimum-spec increase over Doom 2016 I can see why they might have had trouble hitting true 4k.
Not that I'm going to notice on my 1080p TV.

I'll be more interested to see what the detail settings are. If they are equivalent to PC on Medium, High or Ultra? I'm not expecting Ultra, but I'd be disappointing if they were just Medium.

Still getting it on Stadia though. The service has been fantastic, and I do not want to go back to box-under-the-telly style consoles at this point. They just feel so antiquated.