• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017

What happened to this, was it a scam? Every video I come across is critical and they're bombed with thumb downs, probably by angry company owners.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
IIRC they released some business focused software unrelated to game design. Don't quote me on that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't a scam, just wasn't suited for games at the time. maybe now? who knows since they aren't focused on games anymore

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
It wasn't a scam.
It's just tech that has way too many unsolvable limitations (without extreme performance consequences) to actually be used in real AAA games.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they are still going to this day, but the applications are business focused.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It was definitely not a scam. It just didn't pan out. It had too many limitations.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Might see a return of this with the faster SSDs. Makes sense from a technical perspective, but limits on data size and speed made it a nonstarter for the games industry.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Just in case you don't want to google:

www.euclideon.com

Euclideon Pty Ltd Home | euclideonptyltd

Finally! All your 3D data unlocked for free Visualise, analyse, present and share massive 3D geospatial data with unlimited detail.Euclideon is a cutting-edge 3D data technology company with an enviable pedigree in digital transformation in 3D data consolidation, streaming and sharing. Euclideon...

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This immediately came to mind after the UE5 tech demo. Couldn't remember the details for it to save my life. Thanks for bringing this up, OP

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't all bullshit, but the limitations made it def unsuitable for actual use to ship a title while making bold claims and being outright bullish towards the rest of the industry for "not seeing the light".

The tech would still be useless today in video games. Sparse voxel octrees are great to show single models with insane detail, but have huge disadvantages like the way it stores data that makes it very hard to work with and is very memory intensive. Def not a technique that is ideal for interactive worlds.

Its claims that it will offer "unlimited detail" was nonsense
as far as I remember they simply instanced a few models and scattered them around trying to build other things with them, like bricks. While it represented a lot of geometry, good luck in trying to convince an industry to start building actual walls in games by manually placing bricks.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a hoax, they just vastly oversold the premise and usability of their own technology in real world applications, Unreal Engine 5 does exactly what what they set out to do in the context of a real-time gaming engine.

The problem is primarily in terms of how big these assets are on disk, we are talking about a ton of data that needs to be streamed in, and I'm curious how Unreal Engine 5 addresses this issue. The I/O in Playstation 5 is what finally makes this possible and I imagine Unreal Engine 5 stores several point cloud versions of a mesh on disk to have the best possible version to calculate the final triangles from with the least I/O overhead possible.

I expect that Unreal Engine 5 applications that uses this technology with be significantly larger than games we have today simply due to the amount of data it needs to calculate triangles from a runtime and any shipping products will need to simplify these point clouds to a certain degree to ensure viable file sizes on these relatively small 1tb drives the next gen systems have.

We don't know a lot about how Epic achieves the results they do, but the immediate downside of it seems to be a massive increase in stored geometry on disk.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
They have a bunch of videos showing off stuff. One of them allegedly shows them winning a Best Technology award from SEVID.
Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. You be the judge.