• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
GR09-30.jpg

GR15-30.jpg

GR18-16.jpg

Only for it to turn out it was just a plot by Mephisto to fuck with Ghost Rider.

The funny story behind that is the writer of Ghost Rider at the time planned a 2 year arc where Johnny basically is freed from his hell curse by "Jesus" and becomes a divine powered Christian hero... but by the time it came time to pull the trigger on the conclusion, Jim Shooter was in charge and he was like fuck that make it a Mephisto plot

GR19-03.jpg

This shit was wild when I bought a Ghost Rider omnibus on a whim once and read this arc blind.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I think of it, 70s post-hippie Christ-adjacent messianic imagery is low-key my favorite brand of weird comic aesthetic. Adam Warlock on Counter-Earth? Wundarr the Aquarian? That guy in Green Lantern/Green Arrow that crucified himself on a plane? Just shaggy dudes waxing about spirituality and philosophy in goofy costumes. Or, like, next to guys in goofy costumes. That's the good stuff.

Ghost Rider loses all his flavor when he's not explicitly Biblical in mythology.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
but why is Jesus a white hippie?
What else would he be? He's famously 100% American
For legal purposes: /s. Both about Jesus being white, and about using "American" as synonymous with "white".
I'd be surprised, like genuinely taken aback, if any comic produced in the US back then featured Jesus as anything but white

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As I think of it, 70s post-hippie Christ-adjacent messianic imagery is low-key my favorite brand of weird comic aesthetic. Adam Warlock on Counter-Earth? Wundarr the Aquarian? That guy in Green Lantern/Green Arrow that crucified himself on a plane? Just shaggy dudes waxing about spirituality and philosophy in goofy costumes. Or, like, next to guys in goofy costumes. That's the good stuff.

Ghost Rider loses all his flavor when he's not explicitly Biblical in mythology.
daredevil-101b790bd0.JPG

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Their was a great storyline I read in a Ghost Rider one time at Barnes and Noble about him trying to escape hell? It was a really good story line where some demon found "a way out" and it was just lies on top of lies and he was actually a servant of Satan. If they ever make another movie or video game that'd be a dopeass set up though. Something about that idea really intrigues me the dude trying to escape hell on his motorcycle