• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Depends on what you're playing it on. For most devices you'll need to use a hack that let's you set the light intensity manually but for something with a light sensor like the Switch it works perfectly.

So if Konami wanted free money they could get M2 to port the games to switch then?

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
There's translated interview with Kojima on shmuplations.com:

shmuplations.com

Boktai – 2003 Developer Interview - shmuplations.com

In this 2003 interview from Nintendo Dream, former Konami creative Hideo Kojima discusses the production of, and inspirations behind, the Game Boy Advance title Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hand, an isometric vampire-hunting adventure game with stealth elements that makes heavy use of both a...

Boktai – 2003 Developer Interview
Kojima: Originally, I thought we'd make a different type of game. It wasn't going to be a sequel to Ghost Babel or anything, but I actually wanted to use the "hiding" (stealth) concept in Metal Gear 2 to create an entirely different kind of "escape game." It would have begun with you being caught and imprisoned by the enemy… I thought a game like that could work really well on a portable system, but after a lot of planning, it turned out we just couldn't work it into something satisfying. At that point, although it was quite a risk, we decided to challenge ourselves with an entirely new game.
—There had been games that used infrared rays before, but a sensor for sunlight was something new.
Kojima: Sometime last year, I think, I approached Shigeru Miyamoto at Nintendo and gave a presentation pitch. In the beginning then, it wasn't just a sunlight sensor—I actually had wanted to include a sensor that measured how your breath smelled too! I *really* wanted to add that! The enemies are vampires, right? So if you ate something garlic-y and breathed on the mic, they'd all die. (laughs)

boktai05.jpg

Concept illustrations for the player-character Django's various actions, including a few Metal Gear-inspired stealth actions.
boktai07.jpg

Kojima demoing the game for the folks at Nindori.
boktai02.jpg

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I played the first two and Lunar Knights religiously as a kid. Loved them! I have the third that I imported now but I haven't played it yet.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, of course I remember, I played it and my friends too just because it was A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME™

It's nice but it wasn't for me, I don't know why, like it works but the game itself was just okayish for me (the dotart it's pretty nice though).

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I loved this game when it came out. I don't think I got to the sequel though because I forgot to write down the password at the end and then started New Game+ on Hard Mode and overwrote the save. Dumb mistake of mine.

If there's one thing that sucks about the move to discs and tiny flash cartridges it's the shift away from games integrating interesting technologies for one-off experiments since everything is now dependent on the system hardware to provide things like real-time clocks, wi-fi, motion sensors, rumble, etc.

Also, the random nostalgia wave for this over the last two months is one of the more fascinating things this year to me:

arstechnica.com

Kojima’s GBA experiment—and the sunny island childhood it changed forever

Puerto Rico wasn't a gaming hotspot, unless a game required constant sunshine.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted these but could never find them at the store.

The concept and setting always seemed really cool to me.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Great game. Producing the fan translation for Boktai 3 was my first ever real game development project. Now it's my job!

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
You could unlock it through completing some actions in-game and starting a new playthrough (or there was a code you could enter to get it)

In Peace walker Kojima had another easter egg thrown in where BB has to search some trucks. One contains the mascot of Boktai and you hear BB yell "SUNLIGHT!!'" in a very excited manner

youtu.be

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker: SUNLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Metal Gear... you and your easter eggs.

LMAO, Kojima is so friggin dork with his Easter Eggs. The way Snake closes the curtain kills me