• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
In one episode of the Fresh Prince, a girl Will is dating doesn't believe in sex before marriage so in order to get around this, Will hosts a fake marriage ceremony with her in order to get her in bed. Thankfully, he came to his senses and revealed the truth, which resulted in her rightfully punching him and all, but that was a massive yikes for Will as it could very likely be considered sexual assault. In fact it was so bad, we got this moment at 2:38

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, that punchline by Uncle Phil was amazing

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Humans can be scum. Not excusing such behavior, but history is full of people doing horrible things to get their way.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I remember being really shocked by this even as a kid, but the show was always open that Will's philandering was borderline unhealthy, and various women call him out for this. They're used as teachable moments, especially for those of us who were nowhere near as successful at dating.

And, eventually, he grows up, as seen in his relationships with Jackie and Lisa.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Worst episode in the show

When Will finally realized what he was doing was wrong only to be all "since we already here..." made me so upset when I was younger lol

When she clocked him I went YASSSS GIRL

Dec 31, 2017
"Don't you think before you do these disgusting things." From Uncle Phil the GOAT made it clear Will was a moron.
Lmao.

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
Every time I see or hear Uncle Phil I remember that the actor who played him died a few years ago and it wrecks me. He was seriously awesome in that role.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
And who here hasn't set up a fake wedding ceremony when they were 17?

Dafuq dude

he was not a real person though. Reminds me when people try to apply real life morality expectations to like, Office characters. I think it simply speaks more to what was considered "fair game" for comedic purposes and how that's changed over time to what is and isn't seen as socially acceptable, more so than a "was Will Smith, the character, a bad person?" debates.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Remember the episode where he cheats on his fiancé and it ends with him briefly considering telling her but he then laughs it off and it's never brought up again.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing Will done in the show from what i remembered

Uncle Phil punishment is amazing though lol

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Dude got cold cocked though. At least the show itself had a moral core vs letting him get away with his bs.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Remember when he slept with the girl who was into's Mom who was also Uncle Phil's old flame and his excuse was:

"Have you ever seen your mom naked?"

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
And who here hasn't set up a fake wedding ceremony when they were 17?
Lol so an actual wedding is a sitcom exaggerating things but a LOT of teens/young guys will go to massive lengths of lying to have sex... it's not good at all but it happens. Will never gets his way and his tomfoolery is always put in a negative light - his character is a playboy though.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm not sure I get the point of this thread.

This is your typical 80/90s sitcom guy goes to both scummy and desperate measures for sex.

I guess it's different from say Always Sunny since those characters are supposed to be terrible people where the tone and Will in this show is someone we should like but laugh at.

James Avery was so perfect as Uncle Phil.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Lol so an actual wedding is a sitcom exaggerating things but a LOT of teens/young guys will go to massive lengths of lying to have sex... it's not good at all but it happens. Will never gets his way and his tomfoolery is always put in a negative light - his character is a playboy though.
yikes

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Triple-H-Stephanie.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when he slept with the girl who was into's Mom who was also Uncle Phil's old flame and his excuse was:

"Have you ever seen your mom naked?"

One of the last reruns I caught of the show I think was this one, where Phil's old crush (and I think mom of the girl he was dating or something?) invited him into her hotel room and implied they had sex.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It can be difficult to watch old sitcoms. ~10 years ago someone being "gay" was still used as a cheap laugh.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
And this is why watching stuff that is 10 years old or more is painfull a lot of times.

Oct 27, 2017
In one episode of the Fresh Prince, a girl Will is dating doesn't believe in sex before marriage so in order to get around this, Will hosts a fake marriage ceremony with her in order to get her in bed. Thankfully, he came to his senses and revealed the truth, which resulted in her rightfully punching him and all, but that was a massive yikes for Will as it could very likely be considered sexual assault. In fact it was so bad, we got this moment at 2:38

It definately would have been sexual assult if he had gone through with it. And she definitely physically assaulted him. She had no right to physically assault him as she was in no immediate danger. What was right about it?

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
It definately would have been sexual assult if he had gone through with it. And she definitely physically assaulted him. She had no right to physically assault him as she was in no immediate danger. What was right about it?
Dude, he was planning on sexually assaulting her and then he said "since we're here, we might as well"

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I mean, if you was in this situation you wouldn't feel in immediate danger of rape?

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Minimizing concerns about sexual assault in media
Dude, he was planning on sexually assaulting her and then he said "since we're here, we might as well"

That was the threat? The punch was bullshit and just part of normalisation of domestic violence against men. What makes it harder to defend is that he was a dipshit for what he was planning to do.

I mean, if you was in this situation you wouldn't feel in immediate danger of rape?

Come on. Your stretching here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, that's pretty awful. A lot of sitcoms from back in the day were painfully tone def, offensive, and just cringe. Except for The Golden Girls. #thebestsitcomeofalltime

Uncle Phil was channeling his inner Shredder in that clip from the 2:38 point on down.

Speaking of, I think I learned that James Avery was the voice of The Shredder back when I was in my 20's, but it totally explained why Uncle Phil was intimidating as fuck to me XD XD

Man, RIP, James Avery. The best Uncle, and endangerer of mutant turtles...

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
That was the threat? The punch was bullshit and just part of normalisation of domestic violence against men. What makes it harder to defend is that he was a dipshit for what he was planning to do.

Come on. Your stretching here.

As someone who has been a victim of domestic violence from a woman, no. He tried to trick her into having sex, learned his lesson, then at best jokingly tried to have sex with her again. Maybe there isn't a legal right to punch the guy, maybe she would get in trouble. But you tell a judge that story, and he doesn't deny it, I think the judge lets her off.

It's a horrible thing to do, and in reality he would be raked over the coals for it. Don't try to turn this around.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
My fave scummy Will move was when him and Carleton taped the previous nights lottery and let Jeffery think he won lol.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PoBA was all about moralising though right? You pretty much have to do some fucked up shit in order to be able to teach the slack jawed masses that 'X is bad'

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
A creepy, absurd episode. I could see it happening in Married with Children, but even at the time thought it was overly gross for FP.