• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man, in the last couple of weeks I have played through every single Prince of Persia game since Sands of Time, and this one... I have some things to say about it. I'd like to make a thread about it all because it's been kind of a great experience. But this game? Ugh.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I loved WW level design, combat, platforming and difficulty were all superior to SoT. it's the best one in the trilogy.

I didn't mind the tonal shift of the prince too much, imo it made sense in the story of the game, since the goal is to undo what has been tormenting the prince all that time and made him that way.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
While the game's tone/story criticisms are valid, I've always thought that the basic idea was a pretty solid one: the immortal Dahaka ceaselessly hunts the Prince as consequence for the Prince altering the timeline, and as such, the Prince becomes a more hardened person due to always being on the run. If that basic premise was handled with more restraint, I think it could have been a very effective sequel indeed.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great game. I used to think the dark/Godsmack take was so cool at the time. I was so hype on like everything about that game, especially coming off of TSoT. Pretty fucking lawl looking back at that. But the game was good.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone who has worked on this game ever talked about it years after? I want to know if anyone is ashamed of it. Like, what does the art team think of it now, in 2020?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
It was rough, and backtracking through the Island of Time could get annoying at times. Still, WW remains a fun game to me.

Plus, having WW Prince return as the Dark Prince in Two Thrones (same VA, too) was a treat.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Loved sands of time and it was memorable due to how good art design and aesthetic of game were. I liked pop we and sequel but art direction and general aesthetics got hit and became unmemorable.

Also sands of time didn't ran on my pc at the time because my geforce 4 didn't supported DX 8

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
WW had the best soundtrack and made the game play way better. Also the darker tone fit the game and story. I was taken back by the language used though.

Anyways 1 and 2 are classics. I don't know about the 3rd entry. I never got to play it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
WW had the best soundtrack and made the game play way better. Also the darker tone fit the game and story. I was taken back by the language used though.

Anyways 1 and 2 are classics. I don't know about the 3rd entry. I never got to play it.

Yeah the non Godsmack soundtrack was actually really good too.

I'm still a huuuge fan of the SoT soundtrack, magical.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Mid-Aughts was a weird time. Lot of game developers seemed to think going edgy-dark was the way to go for... some reason?

Some examples include...
Shadow the Hedgehog
Jak II
Ratchet Deadlocked

But I do remember seeing the Warrior Within cover art, and thinking that it looked especially weird. Not sure why even, it doesn't look that out of place compared to Sands of Time.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Have it on Steam but havent played it but does the song actually play in the game or was it just the commercials that had it?

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
61EPtgGhk1L._AC_SX522_.jpg

REDO

pop_pack_pc_2d_pegi.jpg

NO SHIT WAIT UNDO
take it back

PoP 2008 is wonderful

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was quite the shock to younng me who rented the game expecting something similar to Sands of Time.

Mid-Aughts was a weird time. Lot of game developers seemed to think going edgy-dark was the way to go for... some reason?

Some examples include...
Shadow the Hedgehog
Jak II
Ratchet Deadlocked

But I do remember seeing the Warrior Within cover art, and thinking that it looked especially weird. Not sure why even, it doesn't look that out of place compared to Sands of Time.
Ratchet Deadlocked... edgy? The game was fairly in line with the first three games tonally.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
The major annoyance to me was the change from Yuri Lowenthal as the prince to Robin Atkins Downes. And then they brought Yuri back in The Two Thrones but without the accent from SoT and just ugh.

Still the only game I've had a gamebreaking bug happen to me in where I just never bothered to go back and complete it.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
It was quite the shock to younng me who rented the game expecting something similar to Sands of Time.

Ratchet Deadlocked... edgy? The game was fairly in line with the first three games tonally.

If nothing else, the marketing was definitely going for the dark-edge crowd.

Ratchet%3A%20Deadlocked.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This song from Godsmack was very popular at the time and it's clear they wanted to capitalize on the popularity of The Mummy movies, where this song was used in and to promote The Scorpion King. It's really awful how many sequels to games just suddenly turned dark and edgy, plenty for no apparent reason. They could have just made a different series, but no.

What a really awful interview.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Remember playing the heck out of this game when my older brother got it for PS2 back in the day. I was a really big fan of it then and, though I haven't thought about it in years, a lot of the major story beats still resonate with me. The whole getting chased by the Dahaka and the plotline with the Sand Wraith are such cool concepts, I love it. I also remember being sad at the 'bad ending', I think, because the woman ends up dying.

Also, the ass is fat. I'm all for improving women characters, but sometimes the booty is just booty; I'm here for it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I kept playing Warrior Within to hear I Stand Alone while i ran away from the beast lol

Warrior Within was the best of the trilogy too, i loved that game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Game had its moments. However this is when the PC controls became terrible. Prince got too edge for proper mouselook, I guess.

Neither Warrior Within nor two Thrones played as well as Sands of Time, in my experience.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the entire games background music was the instrumental intro to Megadeth Symphony of Destruction.
So ridiculous. Penny Arcade had a pretty famous comic mocking the games angst and the girls thong. Lol good times.
O7jSulJ.jpg

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
In every way that matters Warrior Within was so vastly superior to The Sands of Time. It's such a shame that the edgy shit and numetal became such a huge part of the narrative around that game.

I blame the games media. G4 especially. Too many emotionally stunted players wanting their games to be ~mature~.

Vague Rant

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Warrior Within was the first modern Prince of Persia I played, and I think I had already aged out of its target market by that point. I barely remember it and never got very far at all because everything about the presentation just made me hate it more. Eventually I got to play Sands of Time and while it was certainly flawed, it pretty quickly became my favorite game of the generation, and then I didn't know what to do when I finished it.

I never bothered playing the other games in the trilogy, but I did pick up The Forgotten Sands on Wii (separate game to the PS3/360 version) and absolutely loved it. I felt it was everything a sequel to Sands of Time should have been and I pretty much just think of the games as a duology at this point. I'd strongly recommend it to anybody who noped out of the series with Warrior Within.

Damn. What was with people in that era who thought like this?
Seriously, that interview is like a perpetual bad takes machine. I've never played the Jak & Daxter games at all but they were always on my to-do list, but this is the kind of thing that really keeps the series at arm's length for me.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Have it on Steam but havent played it but does the song actually play in the game or was it just the commercials that had it?
It used to play in the main menu but it got patched out recently due to licensing issues, it always played an instrumental version when you're chased and last time I played it still seems there.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is edge free. I loved the first game. Jak 2 takes inspiration from GTA but edgier. Jak 3 still has edge but now in the desert.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
I loved this game at the time and I rolled my eyes at the start as much as anyone but I remember it kinda easing off on that throughout the game? Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I remember the further in you got the less in your face it got. and running from the Dahaka was always great fun. Remember a hanging gardens puzzle being really impressive too.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fucking loved this game. But I was also a huge Godsmack Fan back then. The tonal shift didn't bother me too much.

Dec 13, 2017
But man, what a magical time in the history of gaming when a company thought that the delicious edge, blood, Godsmack and women in metal thongs was the way to further popularize the franchise. Meanwhile Jak was screaming about how he was gonna murder someone and SEGA... uhhh... greenlit Shadow the Hedgehog. We will never experience such magic ever again.
Ahhhhhh
What a time to be alive

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Yes, and it was awesome. I STAND ALONE!!! with that opinion, but I genuinely think so.
You, my good person, are not alone in this! Warrior within was FUCKING awesome HELL YEAH, and I say it as someone who was surprised and delighted by the Sands of Time depiction of a kind and compassionate hero. Tbh, I think we still need more relatable heroes instead of 80's macho machines.