• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Insane tonal shift and aggressively problematic 00s aesthetics notwithstanding, I remember the game being pretty damn good?

It's so tempting to think this game was a direct response to God of War, but it released four months before GOW.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't like how the combat constantly interrupted platforming. In Sands of Time, the combat wasn't exactly great either, but at least there were long stretches where you didn't have to fight anything.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely loved Warrior Within. Great gameplay, cool story and I really liked the general aesthetic. It was definitely a product of its time.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the IT guy at work shared my appreciation of Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil. When I showed him the Warrior Within trailer, he couldn't believe it. I remember he saw the Prince beheading people and said, "well that was unnecessary".

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Warrior Within was awesome imo,Dahaka is a iconic stalker enemy tbh.
Using the word edgelord makes you a edgelord too,they just aimed for a more dark fantasy style.
The prince in Two thrones could be the key art for a new Disturbed disc too.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I remember buying the game at launch, playing it for a couple of hours, hitting a game breaking bug that wouldn't let me progress any further, and taking it to Gamestop and trading it in. All within the span of a few days after launch. Always consider the game trash after that, even if it is a decent game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
215511792_o5PkM-L-2.jpg
Came to post this lol

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Butt rock aside, the game was better than Sands of Time except for the fact that it was a buggy, broken mess. I had to restart like halfway through the Gamecube version because of a bug.
Sands of Time also had a savepoint bug, too. One of them was set AFTER a checkpoint, meaning if you saved at this specific point and stopped, if you restarted, the events wouldn't trigger.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Would love for them to do a throwback to the old Prince but I don't know if that would fly today his design is very stereotyped. But I would like that gameplay again overanimated and hard to control. We'll probably get edgelord Prince back if he returns in a full game.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I SMOLDER WITH GENERIC RAGE.

But anyway, it was amazing that it was such a tonal shift that we got two games explaining why/how it happened.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The tone shift and the whole edge was a huge downgrade (and yet the teenage me really liked that at the time >_>) but the game itself was great. Level design (including switching between the past and the present), combat flow, puzzles and Dahaka chases were really good.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What's good enough for the Scorpion King is good enough for a mere prince.

yeah... The Scorpion King.

wasn't that The Rock's first big acting gig?

If this goes down, then Staind is in there somewhere as well. During a montage of slow-mo 'struggle fight' moments perhaps?

I'm on the outside, and I'm looking in
I can see through you
See your true colors
Cause inside you're ugly, ugly like me
I can see through you
See to the real you

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game back in the day. A bit frustrating, but fun.

I remember climbing a section of the map you were not supposed to (it was designed to go down instead of up).

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Wasn't the biggest fan of the tone changing so much, but fuck me was WW an awesome game.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
It was very cathartic to see Jordan Mechner basically disown it in some Edge interview years ago. He was diplomatic, said something like "they took it somewhere I wouldn't have", but it was so clearly the direct opposite of his vision for the character.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I won't lie, early-oughts edge never fell out of favor for me.

Goth Prince was low key my husbando when I was 14, so

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like replaying the original trilogy now.
I'm talking about this game based on a faint memory from almost 2 decades ago,barely remember anything outside of some key moments.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember this game playing really well, especially the combat. Some of the character designs should never have seen the light of day though. Dahaka was fucking awesome.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved the description of "that time the Prince listened to Godsmack and let his mom cut his hair."

The gameplay was still fun but... yeah....

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
What's funny is that I feel the DAHAKA would have even more effective if they used it's design but stayed with the older, lighter tone and style for the rest of the game. Like, it's the same irreverent, swashbuckling prince from the first game but now he's feeling out of his depth being stalked by a horror that's literally out of time.

As it was the Dahaka eventually just kinda gets lost among the endless sea of edge.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
What's funny is that I feel the DAHAKA would have even more effective if they used it's design but stayed with the older, lighter tone and style for the rest of the game. Like, it's the same irreverent, swashbuckling prince from the first game but now he's feeling out of his depth being stalked by a horror that's literally out of time.

As it was the Dahaka eventually just kinda gets lost among the endless sea of edge.
That's a great idea.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
WW was the best of the trilogy in regards to combat, platforming and pretty much everything that's gameplay related.

I can understand the edgy Prince too. IIRC, he couldn't eat nor sleep well at all with Dahaka stalking him for a few years.
I can only imagine how pissed off I would be without a good night of sleep for a few years.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
The tonal shift between SoT and WW was incredibly jarring. I couldn't reconcile both games at all. WW felt like an entirely different game with no bearing to the first game......except that for some reason its a sequel to the first game. Absolutely bizarre.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
WHAT

Please find it for us. I need to read this.
Will a ResetERA copypasta do?
www.resetera.com

With Switch 2 on the horizon, is it time for Mario and classic Nintendo franchise to evolve?

I am a 2x year old gamer, who started gaming since NES and bought every single console and upgraded my PC until this Generation (No Xbox1). For the first time I will not buy a Nintendo Console on Day 1. It seems my taste has evolve. Games that I used to enjoy are not that entertaining anymore...

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When it was announced I thought it was the lamest shit after coming from Sands of Time.

My opinion hasn't changed, such a disappointment.