• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
You remember that mid to late 00s-early 10s period right? Man, I'm remembering that time period and going down a loophole of some games that tried it out.

Were any your favorites? Any you disliked? I remember Uncharted being my go-to during then.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 2 was a game praised for its SP cinematic nature and huge jump over Uncharted 1, but underneath all of that was a ridiculously good MP and Survival mode.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Dead Space 2, Bioshock 2

Edit: oops, you meant favorite ones. I listed the ones I thought were completely unnecessary. I liked GoW: Ascension.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2 was a game praised for its SP cinematic nature and huge jump over Uncharted 1, but underneath all of that was a ridiculously good MP and Survival mode.
There were definitely some gems among the games that had no business having multiplayer.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is another example. Nobody asked for it but the online mode was incredible, I think about it to this day.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I miss having a bunch of multiplayer options outside COD and the latest battle royal fad

One of the few things Sony dropped the ball on this gen was multiplayer games. PS3 had so many unique online games

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
remember when they added multiplayer to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that nobody asked for, but it was actually good?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ME3's multiplayer was legit great. I still don't understand who ever even tried the MP in 2013's Tomb Raider. That was wasted development dollars right there.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 2
God of War Ascension
Enter The Matrix
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Bioshock 2
Batman Arkham...Origins, I think
Dead Rising 2
Sly Cooper 3
Uncharted 2
Whatever incarnation of Metal Gear Online you remember
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Yep and I disliked it. Just tacked on to try to cop some multiplayer money/crowd. That extra development time coulda went to something else on the game itself

I don't miss that at all. Bunch of rose tinted glasses in this thread. For one it became a pain in the ass to 100% games that had multiplayer trophies/achievements. It wasn't every other game either, it felt like every release had tacked on multiplayer or random online content. Remember online passes?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Spec Ops' was kind of hilariously tone deaf

There were some cute interpretations like the Mass Effect and Metal Gear Onlines but yeah, I wish the resources went elsewhere or that they were used for full-blown spin-offs. Most of the time they felt like half-measures.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
remember when they added multiplayer to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that nobody asked for, but it was actually good?

Brotherhood had the best multiplayer. Had the best characters too. The others didn't quite match it. Not even Unity's Co-Op, which didn't come close. Brotherhood multiplayer is still active to to this very day (at least on steam) The AC community is keeping it alive, as it should be.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes but while a lot were bad a couple ended up being good

Bioshock 2 actually had a good multiplayer
The Uncharted MPs were good even though no one asked for them at first.

I don't mind tacked on MP because there's a chance one ends up being good.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Online and Metal Gear Online 2 are still some of the best multiplayer experiences ever. There was so much shit you could do in those games, it's ridiculous. And if Metal Gear Online 3 had more support instead of being shoved out to die, it'd be up there, too.

Those three are the only shooters were melee isn't some boring ass rifle butt strikes or one hit kill affairs. You run out of ammo and the other guy runs out of ammo, you can have a melee fight to the death! Or unconsciousness that eventually results in death.

Shit was tense. I wish someone would elaborate on those kinds of things in a future game, maybe even adding in CQC counters if you get timing down correctly to parry being hit, only for it to be all for naught because someone threw a grenade at your forehead.

I really need to do those mods so I can play MGO2 on my PS3 again.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer felt pretty tacked on, but I really enjoyed it.

Except for the microtransactions... ugh, Spectre Packs.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Batman Arkham Origin's multiplayer really is the embodiment of this trend.

anyone even remember it... or play it? I think I tried a few rounds and still couldn't tell you anything about it

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Brotherhood had the best multiplayer. Had the best characters too. The others didn't quite match it. Not even Unity's Co-Op, which didn't come close. Brotherhood multiplayer is still active to to this very day (at least on steam) The AC community is keeping it alive, as it should be.

That's interesting, I do remember enjoying it on 360. Is anyone still playing on there? If not I might double dip

Oct 28, 2017
It was better than what we have today where instead of multiplayer, RPG elements get tacked on to the single player experience of everything. At least I could ignore tacked on multiplayer.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Tomb Raider's multiplayer was absolute dogshit. The devs must have known because they dropped it in RotTR.

Dec 20, 2017
IMO the multiplayer obsession era was a perfect storm for innovation, since it pushed triple-a devs to try and extend multiplayer into new genres. The stealth genre really benefited from this- Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell both had fantastic multiplayer modes. Obviously nowadays we have indie devs leading the charge of unique and quirky multiplayer experiences, but I miss that era when major studios were putting their money towards it.