• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coolhandleek

Oct 27, 2017
The Inhumans have never been interesting enough by themselves despite multiple attempts to make them a thing. Cool ensemble pieces to a greater story (like Annihilation-era Cosmic Marvel) but not enough that anyone cares beyond a few characters.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
The only exposure I have to inhumans is Agents of Shield, where I think they were pretty interesting and a good addition to the show.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
medusa-marvel-inhumans-abc-hair-header.jpg
Barely related but it'll always be funny to me how the second My Hero Academia movie just blatantly stole Medusa and used her for a villain.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Such a strange era of marvel. Has the story ever come out about why Inhumans turned from a movie into a tv series? Since that was when marvel tv and movies were under different Umbrellas I'd imagine there was quite a behind the scenes struggle.

Not in detail, which means its likely tied to the struggle behind the scenes between Feige and Perlmutter. Perlmutter is usually given credit for the decision to push Inhumans as a X-Men analogue.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine how different the MCU would be right now if the Disney deal never happened?

Perlmutter would be still releasing Marvel movies right now as I'm sure he believes COVID is a hoax and we'd be on Inhumans 2: Everyone Hates The X-Men or some shit.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
No. I don't remember it at all. The X-men have never left us. The Inhumans were that comic book by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee right? Dig that book. I've been reading comics for 30 years and haven't seen the Inhumans since that series.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because all it's done is straight-up torpedo the likeability of Inhumans as a property. People are actively cheering for such a swing-back for X-Men that it renders Inhumans completely irrelevant if not dead (and why not, part of Inhumanity involved giving mutants magic cancer so it's not like it's unfair play) with people wanting Kamala retconned into a mutant to distance her from them.

They have as much of a place in the grander MU as any other and if the MCU is willing to give the goddamn Eternals a space then there's no reason the Inhumans don't deserve one.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It sucks because all it's done is straight-up torpedo the likeability of Inhumans as a property. People are actively cheering for such a swing-back for X-Men that it renders Inhumans completely irrelevant if not dead (and why not, part of Inhumanity involved giving mutants magic cancer so it's not like it's unfair play) with people wanting Kamala retconned into a mutant to distance her from them.

They have as much of a place in the grander MU as any other and if the MCU is willing to give the goddamn Eternals a space then there's no reason the Inhumans don't deserve one.

They aren't dead. They'll be recast and rebooted, as shown in the Ms. Marvel footage we've gotten with a very clear depiction of Maximus.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
doing the Eternals instead of bringing in the mutants will be a huge misstep as well.
What do you mean? X-Men are better than they've been in a long time in the comics and we all know that they're coming to the mcu sooner or later.
Eternals if anything might actually explain how we get to mutants.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good. Because if he was originally a person, he's an old man pretending to be a dog to hang out in teenage girls' bedrooms.

Specifically, John Byrne wrote an issue where Lockjaw speaks to Ben Grimm, revealing that he was mutated by Terrigenesis. Later, after editorial realized that this meant the Inhumans were treating a person who was horribly mutated into a new form as a pet, Peter David retconned it that Lockjaw is just a dog and the Inhumans played a prank on Ben.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Eh I kind of liked the comics and the tension brewing between Inhumans and Mutants. I never got around to reading past the first year or so, though.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The tv series is abysmal but I like the Inhumans in general.
Still love the World War Hulk moment with Hulk vs Black Bolt
08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Someone was watching Mr. Sunday Movies.

Get in the mines you wingless bitch!

Was just about to post this.

Had recently read about how uncomfortable Kevin Feige was with this show but Ike Perlmuter pushed it right through. Gotta love them adding "Season 8 of Dexter/Season 1 of Iron Fist" legend Scott Buck as the head writer and showrunner.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Inhumans, at least, are easy enough to bring in without raising too many eyebrows since the Kree were already introduced.

The Eternals are going to be a bit weird since you need to explain why these practically immortal and unstoppable superheroes didn't raise a finger to stop Thanos, despite knowing about him long before anyone else. If even one is comparable to Carol in power, then they could've taken Thanos out before he even got one Infinity Gem.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's literally a bummer that we're not going to get Black Bolt in the MCU.

But yeah, this is years of Marvel's mismanagement coming back to bite them. Feige can't handle all of it an the people tasked with the other parts of the business fumbled it almost constantly.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Specifically, John Byrne wrote an issue where Lockjaw speaks to Ben Grimm, revealing that he was mutated by Terrigenesis. Later, after editorial realized that this meant the Inhumans were treating a person who was horribly mutated into a new form as a pet, Peter David retconned it that Lockjaw is just a dog and the Inhumans played a prank on Ben.
Of course it was Byrne.

Nobody else would have done it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, it's literally a bummer that we're not going to get Black Bolt in the MCU.

But yeah, this is years of Marvel's mismanagement coming back to bite them. Feige can't handle all of it an the people tasked with the other parts of the business fumbled it almost constantly.
Inhumans were a relic of the Ike Perlmutter era. Same guy who insisted on pumping out Thor and Iron Man sequels rather than expanding the Marvel world, same guy who chased Edgar Wright away from Ant-man, same guy who refused to make Black Panther/Captain Marvel because "those demographics don't pay to see super hero movies", same guy who said that no one would notice if he recast Rhody and yeah, the same guy who went out of his way to choke out any references to mutants or the F4 to spite Fox.

I'm pretty happy he's no longer in charge.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
What do you mean? X-Men are better than they've been in a long time in the comics and we all know that they're coming to the mcu sooner or later.
Eternals if anything might actually explain how we get to mutants.
The Eternals aren't a great group to introduce after Endgame. It's introducing a whole new race, for the most part, with an entire new set of mythologies, who have no name or face recognition with the characters. You do a slow introduction (more than the few passing references in Phase 1-4) of them, as opposed to leading with them and then waiting until post-2025 for the mutants.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

But we are going to get Black Bolt in the MCU :)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The Inhumans have never been interesting enough by themselves despite multiple attempts to make them a thing. Cool ensemble pieces to a greater story (like Annihilation-era Cosmic Marvel) but not enough that anyone cares beyond a few characters.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. As occasional suped up side characters in FF stories they were fine, and you had a deus ex machina in Black Bolt's seemingly unlimited power (if unleashed). As a regular series, though? The tv show, while terrible, really emphasized what makes these characters hard to write: they are a ruling class who basically subjugate whatever inhumans they find, then subject them to terrigen mists to unlock their potential one way or another. It made it really really hard to care about the tv Black Bolt and his privileged family when hey, maybe Maximus was right all along (in concept). I mean think about your favorite Inhumans: probably Ms. Marvel, AoS Quake, maybe Inferno. All are basically humans who happened to be Inhumans.

Also, I never understood as a kid why they kind of just forgave Maximus over and over and over only for it to bite them again and again.

One of the best Inhumans stories, the Jenkins/Jae Lee mini, had several things going for it: it was a miniseries, the point of view wasn't one of the royal family, and it portrayed them as dicks. Meanwhile, Inhumans vs. X-men tried to "both sides" the factions where one side was being destroyed by a floating cloud and the other side was basically "well, you can't destroy that cloud, we need it for reasons, screw you."

Mutant hitler indeed. That was probably one of the most disappointing reveals ever, and for comics that's saying something.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's so obvious that Marvel's Avengers was made during that era, the Inhumans have the exact same role as the mutants: Being hunted and hated by mankind, and also the allegory to minorities.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time Mutants were dying horribly to Tettrigan Gas and tried to stop it and the Inhumans were like "Noooo that's our culture. " and fought them about it and the comics said the mutants were the bad guys?

Good times.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me when Marvel released a promotional shot of a bunch of their most prominent characters around like three and a half years ago and it included zero mutants but the entire Inhuman royal family.
8b63f7434abe0e95736997355fba2290.png

It just looks so desperate. Like... man, Marvel, no one in the history of the universe has ever given a shit about Triton.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
At least it gave us some good books (Soule's Inhumans, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, Black Bolt) until CB and Cates killed them off as the middle finger and pushed the X Men with Hickman, could have just did the latter but you can tell CB hated them.

Also yeah, the AAA games have that stink to them, even Lego Marvel 2 where half of the cast was replace by alt versions of the cast at times.

And of course, Inhumans would have come out by now with Ike wasn't a dipshit and took the ball and gave it to Scott Buck who ruined the Inhumans, Iron Fist and the Netflix MCU in one fell swoop of a year.

Maybe Kamala's show will help bring them back.

Reminds me when Marvel released a promotional shot of a bunch of their most prominent characters around like three and a half years ago and it included zero mutants but the entire Inhuman royal family.

It just looks so desperate. Like... man, Marvel, no one in the history of the universe has ever given a shit about Triton.
Also the posters and shirt that edited them out

710-2HTjwZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

57-121-600x800.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

No mutants, no Fantastic Four. If Sony didn't make nice with them I wonder if they'd have been bold enough to edit out Spider-man. Eh, Daredevil can take his place, right?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what Marvel did during that period was one of the most childishly petty thing I've ever seen a major entertainment company do. Completely blacklisting some of their most popular and iconic characters from most of their media/merchandise just because they didn't have the film rights to them at the time, just to spite Fox...

Fucking Perlmutter.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I fully believe it was the one-two punch of Iron Fist and Inhumans that made me lose interest in superhero shows (even my beloved AoS). What an absolute horseshit show.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
So due to movie rights, Marvel was trying to move away from mutant stuff and they tried to replace the X-men with Inhumans with some dumb comic book storylines that were just urgh. Honestly, Inhumans failing made me so satisfied plus Ike sucks ass. Anyway, this was one of the worst moments in Marvel History honestly
I mean, this petty-ass decision arguably killed Marvel Infinite.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I think it may have poisoned the well for the Inhumans for a lot of fans with the whole no X-Men thing. It was one thing though having Marvel down play all the X-men and cancel the FF's book, but it was another when they were outright removing them from things that they otherwise were in. It certainly didn't help out Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (though that still would have probably had issues).

It also certainly doesn't help that there's really not enough history or development to replace the X-men. I think some of them have some good core concepts, but they always just show up and then fade out because they can't carry a book. Still, after 50 years, has anything really developed with Triton? Karnak's got a cool power, but he was just that guy with that one cool power until after decades he got a mini-series, and even then, I'm not sure how that went for him. Like maybe you can try to revitalize the Inhumans or maybe get a TV Series or movie a push (if you have writing or budget for them) but you can't erase the X-men for that.