• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Wasn't there a weird online teaser campaign before the game was announced, where they called it 'Project Needlemouse' and were keeping the character design a secret for a while? I recall a Sonic silhouette with a ? over it or something... then we just got the usual modern Sonic design anyway 🤔
Never forget

mSJhf.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It was an ugly game with terrible physics and largely awful music made with cat noises.

Episode II is fairly solid though and had some cool tracks.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It was OK but I have zero desire to revisit it. Even beat the mobile version of Ep 1. The name was always a corny thing. Treating numbered sequels as better or more consistent is one of those things I'll never get on board with the rest of the industry over.

I'm of the controversial view that Ep 1 was better than Ep 2 in all ways but bosses, but mostly that's because the extra moves in Ep 2 rarely added to the design and just serve to produce new end-of-level death traps, a later series design staple I dislike.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
It was fine, even as 4. Continued the legacy of trash that was 3 anyway.

Did the developers of 4 at least get compensated properly?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Episode 1 was very bad, and I wasn't crazy about the "buddy" mechanic for Episode 2 with the little animation that you did every time.

I really wish they didn't call it 4 but whatever.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The gall of calling Sonic4 to what amounted to an episodic/mobile experiment

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I try not to.

Okay they aren't THAT bad, but horribly mediocre and not at all deserving of their title.

That's what hurt the most! They were on a roll with the Advance & Rush games. Then 4 and Generations 3DS happened.
The day stages in the SD version of Unleashed were pretty damn good too.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that I was able to stand at a complete 90° angle on one of the ramps and not move.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Episode 1 was absolutely awful. 2 was... fine I guess. Both I would never play again.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really tried to enjoy it when I got it for WiiWare but just couldn't... I remember playing the Genesis games on PC as a kid with those shady emulator downloads and Sonic Advance on VisualBoyAdvance and recall Sonic "4" playing nothing like those games and feeling much inferior.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its a solid sequel to SONIC ADVANCE but no more, and i like the added abilities like spin dash

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot Sonic 4 was a thing before Mania was even announced. It's best to leave that game in the bowels of gaming history

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They're "merely" mediocre games at face value. It's just laughable that they were billed as Sonic 4.

I honestly have no idea how people can prefer Episode II over the first one beyond graphics. 4-II might have the worst boss battles in the entire franchise, and the tag mechanics wear thin almost immediately.
I thought the bosses were pretty cool in SONIC 2, much more original than the rehashes in EP1, and you actually had to use your abilities to win

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The visuals in some levels really were a great marrying between the Adventure and Classic aesthetic. That first level that jumps between highway and Green Hill like visuals really was excellent artistically. The Advance games became more abstract with time, but 1 had a great art direction.
Honestly the ADVANCE games were so good looking they surpass SONIC RUSH and Mania in some areas, despite being on weak hardware i find the texture and detail/artwork to be lovely

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I actually had a fair amount of fun with Episode 2. A cute game with its own visual style (and not the product of whatever shit algorithm they fed Sonic 1 assets into for Episode 1), and it just generally felt like the people calling the shots gave a shit.

Still, Dimps should never ever touch a Sonic game again. Ever.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Honestly the ADVANCE games were so good looking they surpass SONIC RUSH and Mania in some areas, despite being on weak hardware i find the texture and detail to be lovely
Can't agree about Mania, but Rush was a huge step down artistically for sure.

It's too bad that SEGA didn't hire Dimps to make another Rush game instead of Sonic 4. The DS games were great and would've been a great fit for XBLA or PSN.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Wishful fantasy: Sega allows the Mania developers to remake Sonic 4 as a single game so that the name isn't tarnished and wasted. Those who own Episode I or II gets a discount if buying it for the same platform family (PlayStation or Xbox).

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Wishful fantasy: Sega allows the Mania developers to remake Sonic 4 as a single game so that the name isn't tarnished and wasted. Those who own Episode I or II gets a discount if buying it for the same platform family (PlayStation or Xbox).
Not even remotely worth it considering that the majority of levels from both Sonic 4 directly ape the art style and/or music from the classic games.

It would be nice if SEGA actually hired the Mania team to make a new game though. Fucking nuts that the game performed so well and SEGA have not hired them again.

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not even remotely worth it considering that the majority of levels from both Sonic 4 directly ape the art style and/or music from the classic games.

It would be nice if SEGA actually hired the Mania team to make a new game though. Fucking nuts that the game performed so well and SEGA have not hired them again.

Par for the course for Sega. Find something that works? Ignore it.

Generations received good marks by audiences and critics. Sequel? Nah. We'll do Forces, a follow-up that isn't nearly as good, a number of years too late.

Mania was the best received Sonic game in two full decades. Sequel? Nah. Not even a peep of what's next.

Mania 2 is all I even need. There is so much more they could do. Aside from brand new zones, they could surprise fans with zones based on some of the Game Gear games or even something from one of the Adventure games.

Give me a Toxic Caves Zone in Mania 2.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Never bothered with these games but I heard episode 2 was good. Anyone able to weigh in?

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Mania 2 is all I even need. There is so much more they could do. Aside from brand new zones, they could surprise fans with zones based on some of the Game Gear games or even something from one of the Adventure games.
I had a similar idea for Generations 2. Why not levels based on obscure or non-Sonic levels? Pumpkin Hill, Spinball, Game Gear, etc.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

it could be happening. there hasn't been a followup to sonic forces either. and mania had the additional plus content 18 months ago as the most recent new sonic material, and it was joined by a retail release that did pretty well too.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
it could be happening. there hasn't been a followup to sonic forces either. and mania had the additional plus content 18 months ago as the most recent new sonic material, and it was joined by a retail release that did pretty well too.
I hope so. Is there sales data for Mania? Last I heard it did about a million, which, imo, isn't exactly great considering the series' potential. Better than Forves though, thankfully.

Nov 17, 2017
The visuals in some levels really were a great marrying between the Adventure and Classic aesthetic. That first level that jumps between highway and Green Hill like visuals really was excellent artistically. The Advance games became more abstract with time, but 1 had a great art direction.
Dont forget how it starts on a beach! You're right, the art direction was really great.Egg Rocket was a standout. You start on earth with this climatic sunset view:

maxresdefault.jpg

Then you literally climb a rocket as it ascends into the sky; each section breaking off as you go higher until you finally reach outer space.

Sonic_Advance_zone_6_Disassembly.png

5ac54220d4ae6.jpg

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought we are talking about sonic and knuckles, then i was questioning myself, "why not? its a great game" only after watching the trailer i remembered, my brain deleted it, amazing

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went back and booted up Episode 1 after reading this thread, and honestly, the physics are the biggest issue. Getting stuck and losing momentum sucks.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I hope so. Is there sales data for Mania? Last I heard it did about a million, which, imo, isn't exactly great considering the series' potential. Better than Forves though, thankfully.

No, the million announcement came not too long after release. We have no idea what it's sold since then, and we've heard nothing at all about the physical version. The physical version at least sold well enough that Sega released another physical version about a month ago without the Plus DLC and art book (presumably to have a cheaper version of the game on store shelves in time for the holiday season). They wouldn't have released a second physical edition if the first one bombed.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't deserve to be numbered. EP1 was below average. EP2 was average. But meh at the end of the day. Really forgettable.

Mania is the real Sonic 4 we deserve.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Loved everything about Sonic 4, apart from the god damn character physics. They way you jumped just felt that the gravity was that of the moon instead of the physics of the originals. Oh and lack of original character model I.E generations.