• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The movement felt really bad, which is surprising because Dimps got closer to feeling like Sonic in Advance 1.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
ec49f04e3752db5d163ab3aeee44985cae01512b_hq.jpg

Clearly Sega doesn't remember. Or prefers not to.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the Pikachu in a Sombero meme that came about because of the Sonic 4 teaser?

Nov 1, 2017
I remember Eurogamer giving Sonic 4 Episode 1 a 10/10 from when they still gave out scores. Funnily enough, it wasn't the catalyst for them dropping scores all-together, but it should have been.

Being a massive fan of Sonic 1, 2 and 3&K i tried so, so hard to like it. But it's just garbage. But at the very least it will always be useful as a template on how not to do a 2D sonic, much like Sonic 06 is the template for how not to do a 3D Sonic, except Sonic Team for some reason hasn't realised that yet.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed them when they came out and remember arguing with some people about it on the other site. Then, I tried the second one again last year and didn't enjoy it much. I should give it another try maybe since I've been in a Sonic mood.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I....liked it. The movement was not great but nowhere near as bad as some people said. I....kind of like it more than Mania, which gets convoluted in its level design at times.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I am going to collect all 7 of the chaos emeralds and snap this game and Sonic 4-2 out of existence. They don't deserve name of those classics.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had it just been left as 'Sonic the Portable' it'd have been a mediocre if inoffensive game at best, but whoever decided to slap that '4' on there should have known the reaction they were going to elicit. Bad, bad move so soon after 06 and at a time when fans were clamouring for a true Sonic 4.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
As if I didn't have any faith left in the franchise between the movie and Forces, you go and bring up this old shit. Thanks, OP, thanks for that.
See, this is a narrative that I couldn't fucking stand around the time of this release and beyond. Dimps made bloody good Sonic games before this!
That's what hurt the most! They were on a roll with the Advance & Rush games. Then 4 and Generations 3DS happened.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
Wasn't there a weird online teaser campaign before the game was announced, where they called it 'Project Needlemouse' and were keeping the character design a secret for a while? I recall a Sonic silhouette with a ? over it or something... then we just got the usual modern Sonic design anyway 🤔

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that this game started as a mobile Sonic game, and it was later in development that they decided to put it out on consoles and to rebrand it as "Sonic 4" ?

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
Even the trailer is bad and amateurish.
The Sonic 1 sprite isn't animated properly, the Sonic 3 sprite is moving up and down in an almost bootleg-ish way.
It really feels like they didn't care. Then again, I don't mind the game too much and while the soundfont used in the game is an absolute nightmare, the compositions themselves are pretty OK. Part 2 is also kind of decent on its own and has some neat stages.

That said, I'm okay with never getting a third part.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly no Sonic fan can forget it. Episode 1 is a terrible, terrible game with awful gameplay, boring rehash level tropes that rip off Sonic 1 and 2, and music that proves Jun Senoue should stick to his guitar (I still can't believe he actually dug out that ridiculous scrapped Sonic 3D Blast music for the boss battles). Episode 2 was slightly better... yet still a terrible, terrible game.

Also, for some reason the mobile version of Ep.1 looks vastly better than the console versions after they updated the Sonic model to actually look presentable.

sonic4ipad.jpg

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I think the big takeaway is the tremendous difference it makes when people that actually care about the IP work on it.

Oct 28, 2017
Rush games were awful too, with really bad level design.
Rush games were absolutely fantastic. Mania is the only Sonic game since Rush Adventure to be on the level of those games. S ranking stages in both games was heaven, Rush 1 in particular had a great story, the special stages were great, the bosses in both games are my favourite of the series by far, the music was amazing, presentation was on point. And Rush 1 gets serious points for creativity the way it turned the Sonic formula on its head and straight up changed the way Sonic games were made going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 1 was kinda.. not good. Episode 2 wasn't great, but it certainly was way better than the first.

Mania is the proper Sonic 4.

Oct 27, 2017
If Sonic Colours hadn't come out in the same year I probably would have given up on the series after this disaster.
Funnily enough, they even said that Colors was for the more kiddy, casual crowd, whereas the super-hyped Sonic 4 (remember the whole Project Needlemouse thing?) was the proper Sonic game.
I don't think anyone thinks it's a secret

MlFVfsl.gif
This animation always makes me sad. It lacks CD :(

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I want to know how they forgot the controls/physics.
What the hell happened?

You'll say "yeah Dimps" but Dimps actually had a decent approximation of classic Sonic physics with the Advance games. It was the level design that people complain about with the Advance series, not so much the controls.
If Sonic 4 controlled ok I could at least give it a shrug and forget about it, but the fact that it looked, sounded, and played horribly is a far greater offense.

Sega/Dimps never figured it out again either. The 2D sections of the boost games (eg Classic Sonic) and Sonic 4 Ep 2 still felt dreadful.
This animation always makes me sad. It lacks CD :(
Thanks for reminding me that Sega suddenly decided to make Sonic CD canon to Sonic 4 era.
That was a weird decision..

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's seems like insanity to me how some people reviewed it positively, it how people day it wasn't that bad, someone here actually said it's better than Sonic 1!

I genuinely don't understand how you could think that unless you were a videogame illiterate.

There's certain genres that when reviewed show up most videogame writers (fighters and skill based games mainly) but I don't think they expected a Sonic game would be one of the clearest examples.

Sonic is, at its heart, a physics simulation.
The zones are a sandbox which are a cross between Outrun and a Shoot em up.

It's the quintessential distilled essence of Sega.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
800px-ManiaGHZ1clean.png

I mean I like Sonic Mania but I look at it more as an homage to classic Sonic games like Sonic Generations than "the real Sonic 4."

Which by the way the real Sonic 4 is actually Sonic Advance 1 fight me.

Sonic Mania's biggest weakness is reusing levels, I agree. But those physics man, that music! It's the Sonic 4 of our hearts!

(Sonic Advance is legit and underrated though, Advance 2 specially is up there with the big boys)

Deleted member 32726

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Episode 2's reception was much warmer than 1's, but the games don't hold up. Remember how Episode 2 teased another episode? That didn't make it in the final game, lol. Looking back, I appreciate the genuine attempt at mending the rift teared by Sonic 1. That era of Sonic had a lot of fans pining for Sonic to go back to basics. We all know Sonic 4 was just not it. Sonic Team and SEGA seemed super tone deaf back then...

Which by the way the real Sonic 4 is actually Sonic Advance 1 fight me.
You are absolutely right my friend.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 is better but by then the damage had already been done and Sega just dropped the project. The whole thing was just badly managed, which is par for the course for the Sonic IP.

Having said that, I would still play Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2 over Mania.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I played Episode 1 on Wii... then Sega didn't even release Episode 2 on it lol. :| Who does that??

Played 2 (along with 1 again) years later on Xbox 360 just for some Achievements, game just really doesn't feel right. We all knew the '4' was just a marketing shit thing, but it still feels a dirty disgrace to name it that.

Mania is a thing now so 4 kinda has been forgotten.

Despite all that, I do still wish we got a combined physical release of it somewhere. I want it for my collection.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually forgotten all about it. I do try to find the good in most entertainment products, and enjoy a game at what it tries to succeed at, but that was tough with Sonic 4. Episode 2 had quite a few highlights, at least.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we get a new classic Sonic, which will most likely be a successor to Sonic Mania, should it be titled "Sonic Mania 2" or "Sonic The Hedgehog 5"?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Episode 2 wasn't thaaaaat bad (tbf, my expectations were below the floor), but Episode 1 man, what the fuck. Glad Mania ignored the existence of these games.