• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Is there anyone who likes this game and feels that its worthy of the title Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

I feel like Sonic Mania made everyone on this planet forget that Sonic 4 even exists.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Absolutely wasted the name Sonic the Hedgehog 4 on this.

And people might not have hated on it quite so much if it was just called something else.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it. It wasn't bad for what it was; I actually enjoyed it.

But it had no right to be called "Sonic the Hedgehog 4"

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It annoys me that it was released in two 'episodes' which did not resemble each other in any way.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I remember thinking it was pretty terrible at the time. Bad controls, bad music, bad stages... Just, bad.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_nbeocmAGOn1svhhs6o2_500.png

"Sonic the Portable"

This game really was just initially some cheap mobile cash-in that at some point SEGA decided to bring to consoles and slap the "Sonic 4" moniker on for marquee value.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I try not to. Sonic Mania is the real 4.

At least Sonic fans have grown up enough for us to get Sonic inspired games like Electric Jester, and its sequel, and Freedom Planet (and that sequel when it appears).

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The graphics have not aged well at all. It suffers from the same problems as the lesser Sonic games in that it just does not feel good to play. 5/10, not horrible but it's forgotten for a reason. What is Dimps up to now?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming media outing themselves as knowing jackshit about what makes sonic work when they proclaimed this the sonic comeback story

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_nbeocmAGOn1svhhs6o2_500.png

"Sonic the Portable"

This game really was just initially some cheap mobile cash-in that at some point SEGA decided to bring to consoles and slap the "Sonic 4" moniker on for marquee value.
Where does the image come from? I remember a long time ago initially it started out as a mobile/iPhone game.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Episode II was decent. Not great but good imo. Way better than the first in which it had no resemblance.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it for what it was. It didn't feel like the original games, but I don't think it was a fundamentally bad game either, and a lot of it still played to my fondness of the series, particularly thematically.

It annoys me that it was released in two 'episodes' which did not resemble each other in any way.

This annoyed me more than anything else. It felt like they released two mismatched parts of an incomplete whole.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No joke, I forgot this existed so hard that even reading the thread title I thought "what is this person talking about!?"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It was an atrocity. The controls/physics were terrible. Even when it wasn't totally bugging out, it felt horrible.

It's like they somehow made a 2D version of the 3D sonic games.

Edit: I never liked the GBA/DS sonic games, but this was even worse.

Plus the level design was uniformly terrible.

Sonic Mania proved that another good Sonic game could exist. I really hope we get a Sonic Mania 2 at some point.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The games were playable. That's about the kindest thing I can say about them.

Utterly forgettable, especially with Mania around.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly quite enjoyed Episode II, so I never understood why it got such a lukewarm reception compared to I.

Georgeishon

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 19, 2018
Still can't believe they would waste that name on a mobile game, such a disgrace.
The game was ok, especially episode 2.

Nov 1, 2017
Got it on Steam somehow but I never got around to playing it much. All I remember was the leak and the hysterical mess surrounding it. That minecart level (that was removed for the non-mobile versions along with the pinball level), man.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I actually don't mind these games. They're certainly better than the original Sonic the Hedgehog, in my view. I think the homing attack can totally work in 2D Sonic. Biggest knock against Episode 1 has to be the visuals, whereas Episode 2 felt like some of its' levels could've done with more time. Both are far too easy, also.

Oct 26, 2017
They're "merely" mediocre games at face value. It's just laughable that they were billed as Sonic 4.

I thought Episode 2 was pretty cool.

Episode II was decent. Not great but good imo. Way better than the first in which it had no resemblance.

I honestly have no idea how people can prefer Episode II over the first one beyond graphics. 4-II might have the worst boss battles in the entire franchise, and the tag mechanics wear thin almost immediately.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
On the one hand, being in the Sonic community during the Sonic 4 era was one hell of an experience. And I think it can be argued that the road to Sonic Mania began with Sonic 4, so it will always hold a special place in my heart because of that.

On the other hand...this game was a fucking mess.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the XBLA demo and being so disappointed.

I couldn't believe they made a game called Sonic 4 and I didn't play it day one. I've never finished it. Sega should deny this game's existence.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
They were completely forgotton until you reminded about their existence, OP. I'll see you in court.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I remember having the world record in a stage for about two days. Then my flue was cured and i thought to myself: What the hell is this shit? Never played it again. 3/10

Episode 2 was a tad better though....but damn it holds yout hand everytime you have to make a jump or gain some speed if i recall. There bumpers everywhere and speedboosters up the ass. 4.5/10

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember how the video gaming press loved Ep 1 but didn't have the same energy for Ep 2 despite it being a little better.

But yeah, it's terrible - both eps for similar and different reasons. Good excuse to pull up Savaged Regime's Gecko Yamori's Splash Hill remix though. I can't remember when he did it but I want to say it was right near launch.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I know that I played both parts, I know I did. But can't remember almost a thing about them. Pretty sure I remember enjoying them both, but not very memorable at all. Sonic Mania is secretly the real Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know what's worse: Calling this shit game Sonic 4 or calling Sonic 2006 just 'Sonic the Hedgehog'.

Sonic 06 is stupider, but I'd argue Sonic 4 is a worse situation. At least the world has agreed on the name "Sonic 06" to refer to that game, while Sonic 4 is stuck as Sonic 4. It also prevents a hypothetical sequel to Mania from being called Sonic 4.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I will say Part 2 was a decent looking game and its stage gimmicks were pretty cool for the most part.
Hah. I kind of want this to happen. Get the Sonic Mania team on it. Or at least a "Complete" version that's more fixed up.
If they could at least get Part 1 up to the standards of its followup it might not be such a total embarassment.

Last edited:

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Remember how a bunch of critics said they were good simply because "3D bad". Jim Sterling gave it an 8/10! XD