• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

With the release of Reach I decided to look up the trailers for the game, and I barely see this mentioned when the best video games trailers are listed. The music and CG are on point and really capture the feeling of the game very well.

For me this's probably the best Halo trailer, and the best live action trailer for a video game ever.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Halo trailers are so well done.

Y'all remember the interactive Halo 3 diorama? That was incredible too.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
All the Bungie Halo trailers were amazing really. It's really hard picking a favorite for me!

The Reach trailer does get me teary eyed, it's very poignant.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I completed the game today for the first time ever. I remember the advert well but this is the first time I've seen it since playing the game, and it sure does capture the tone of the game very well.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Watching these trailers make me hyped for what kind of trailer Halo Infinite is going to get, maybe a super bowl spot? Who knows. But yeah, they're all really good... but the Halo 3 Believe one takes the cake for me. Chopin's Raindrop Prelude works very well for it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
That trailer upped my excitement and convinced me to go the midnight launch which I was not planning on doing. The Halo trailers under Bungie were something special.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All Halo trailers are very well done. That being said Reach campaign never felt as hopeless or a grand battle as the trailer "Deliver Hope" shows.

You never fight against insurmountable odds ir impossible objectives. With the exception of the last mission.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Halo trailers are pretty great. I just wish the games themselves had the same emotional heft. The moment to moment shooting is excellent with some memorable set-pieces but I find the storylines to be pretty dry affairs (haven't played ODST, 4, or 5).

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
All Halo trailers are very well done. That being said Reach campaign never felt as hopeless as the trailer shows.

You never fight against insurmountable odds ir impossible objectives. With the exception of the last mission.
Wut?
Long night of solace is the definition of hopeless, Jorge died for fucking nothing, all new Alexandria missions feel the same, you are destroying phantom after phantom, banshee after banshee and it makes no difference.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

This one is so good! Still gives me chills. The look on the younger soldier's face at the end is so intense. Honestly a great small piece of acting there without any dialogue.

I also really like this Halo 3 one:

The subtle music and the serious, somber tone was great. All these felt like clips from an actual war documentary.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wut?
Long night of solace is the definition of hopeless, Jorge died for fucking nothing, all new Alexandria missions feel the same, you are destroying phantom after phantom, banshee after banshee and it makes no difference.
I'll give you New Alexandria, but most of the game the Covenant was extremely incompetent, and it didnt really match the events of Novel Halo: The Fall of Reach.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, ill give you that, The Fall of Reach was more intense.
Yes that's my main gripe with Reach. The Fall of Reach was depicted as a quick brutal strike in which humanity stood absolutely no chance, most Spartan 2 were decimated, the fleet battles were lost due to the sheer number of covenant capital ships, and it was the most crippling defeat humanity had experienced.

In fact in halo 2 Lord Hood comments when he sees the fleet that invaded earth he remarks "something's not right... the fleet that destroyed reach was fifty times this size". That fleet's overwhelming power is never shown in game only alluded to. As much as I wanted to like the game I just could because we were relegated to small skirmishes and the only relatively big battles we fight are in The Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace. And the only two missions where you get the feeling of hopelesness was on New Alexandria and Lone Wolf.

To this day I sometimes watch the Reach reveal trailer and think what it could have been...

I still sometimes imagine what It would have been like to fight in smoldering Ruins fighting a retreating battle trying to delay the inevitable

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Bungie's Halo adverts are the heart and soul of the franchise. I absolutely adore Landfall too. I really hope 343i can deliver something like this again.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I look much more fondly back upon Halo Reach than I did at release. Always had problems with how the battle of Reach was depicted vs the novel, but it is what it is.

Always loved that trailer though. That and the Halo 3 one with the bubble shield are top notch. Gimme more, 343i.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I felt the Halo infinite teaser and trailer were also pretty good, they're just undercut somewhat by people being hungry for more gameplay stuff and info about what the actual structure of the game is.

Remember when Marvel basically recreated the Reach trailer for the end of Endgame but it was half as good?

Remember when Rogue One was basically just Halo Reach :P

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For what it's worth I felt the Halo infinite teaser and trailer were also pretty good, they're just undercut somewhat by people being hungry for more gameplay stuff and info about what the actual structure of the game is.

Remember when Rogue One was basically just Halo Reach :P

From the beginning, you know the end. :P

Yeah, what was the better prequel, Reach or Rogue One?

Remember when Marvel basically recreated the Reach trailer for the end of Endgame but it was half as good?

What was this?

Oct 27, 2017
This one is so good! Still gives me chills. The look on the younger soldier's face at the end is so intense. Honestly a great small piece of acting there without any dialogue.

I also really like this Halo 3 one:

The subtle music and the serious, somber tone was great. All these felt like clips from an actual war documentary.

These are some of my favorite marketing pieces ever, so well done, I still go back and watch them once in awhile after all these years

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes that's my main gripe with Reach. The Fall of Reach was depicted as a quick brutal strike in which humanity stood absolutely no chance, most Spartan 2 were decimated, the fleet battles were lost due to the sheer number of covenant capital ships, and it was the most crippling defeat humanity had experienced.

In fact in halo 2 Lord Hood comments when he sees the fleet that invaded earth he remarks "something's not right... the fleet that destroyed reach was fifty times this size". That fleet's overwhelming power is never shown in game only alluded to. As much as I wanted to like the game I just could because we were relegated to small skirmishes and the only relatively big battles we fight are in The Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace. And the only two missions where you get the feeling of hopelesness was on New Alexandria and Lone Wolf.

To this day I sometimes watch the Reach reveal trailer and think what it could have been...

I still sometimes imagine what It would have been like to fight in smoldering Ruins fighting a retreating battle trying to delay the inevitable

It's been a long time since I've played reach but...what? The one thing that stuck as I got closer and closer to the end of that campaign was that the odds were becoming increasingly worse for Noble Team as the Covenant was dominating the planet. Those last few missions had you alone in a battle that you knew that you could never win. Focusing on a lack of Covie ships undercuts the fact that Noble Team was up against a shitload of ruthless Covies, which the player gets a taste of with the superb enemy AI in Reach.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017

Uh, the level end cutscene here...

Clearly shows you that the Covenant had just "fully" invaded, before the camera is cut again.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, the level end cutscene here...

Clearly shows you that the Covenant had just "fully" invaded, before the camera is cut again.

I know, that's the famous scene where the covenant armada invades

"detecting multiple targets below the defense grid"

"Impossible, check your source"

But in the original depiction of the Fall of Reach in the novel it was a completely different type of battle. In the game the UNSC know that the Covenant is in Reach way before the main fleet arrives. In the novel it was a surprise attack done by the covenant, and they caught the UNSC completely off guard.

At the time in the forums of Bungie.net many(not all) fans were dissapointed with the campaign because we expected battles like in the one in the "Deliver Hope trailer". Because in the original interpretation it was a direct assault on Reach because the covenant already knew what Reach meant to humanity, not only that it was lead by Thel'Vadamee(The Arbiter in Halo 2) which at this time he was one of the most acomplished commanders in the Covenant Navy. And the Covenant absolutely outplayed, outgunned, outnumbered humanity in this battle.

In short, as you stated if you view Reach in isolation, it did do what you said it presented a pretty bleak scenario. But when you compare the campaign to it's source material and marketing it fell short and it got some details wrong which in turn soured my opinion of the campaign as a whole.

Again, no mission feels as hopeless as the "Deliver Hope" trailer. Or as brutal as the Reach reveal was.

Edit:If you notice the Reveal trailer it's the same event from the cutscene at the end of Long Night of Solace.

In the game, Winter Contingency is declared in July on the first mission. On the original dialogue Winter Contingency was declared on August 30 at the same time the covenant fleet appeared on Reach's orbit.

Last edited: