• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

Is this something we can make with current technology?
Do people actually want something like this?
Do you want to babysit a virtual boy?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I sure do. It's probably the most dishonest / crazy thing ever shown off at E3.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I remember it well! It was incredibly weird and I never believed it was something actually in a decent development state...
And I also dont see the appealing, outside of the fascinating AI thing...

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this, and not gonna lie it reminded me of the digital Waifu

I also thought the title was talking about a certain other person that I'm glad has faded into obscurity

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
"Science fiction writers, Filmmakers.. they haven't imagined what we're able to do today"

Good ol' Molyneaux horse shit.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this, and not gonna lie it reminded me of the digital Waifu

I also thought the title was talking about a certain other person that I'm glad has faded into obscurity

This atleast makes sense, theres plenty of desperate horny people ready for AI love

I dont think theres that many would-be parents wanting to adopt a virtual son though lmao

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I like that Peter Molyneaux got a dog, and he inserted a dog in Fable.

Got a kid, think of (because no way it was a real product) a game when you have a kid.

In a sense it was ahead of all the "daddy games" came out later (Walking Dead, God of War, Last of Us, etc...)

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It was one of the most sociopathic bare faced lies I've ever seen at an event. It wasn't just bending the truth or covering up some minor flaws. The entire presentation from start to finish was a lie.

Anyone defending Peter Molnyeux as just a visionary who gets carried away talking should watch that video. This was a prepared and planned event they spent time and money on. And every single word and part of it was a lie.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
if it were real there'd be tons of videos of people trying to convince him to kill himself or some shit so im glad its not.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just re-watching this video and it's amazing how clearly it's all fabricated. Things like the paper being passed over almost instantly recognising the fish...

Did no-one call this out at the time?

There's stuff happening in this video that even AI assistants now can't do (emotion detecting etc.)

Makes me wonder what their endgame was with this. Did Lionhead think they could actually get this working and they were buying time?

Seems to be the very definition of vapourware.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Can we call it a hoax? It was such cynical and deceptive marketing for the potential of the Kinect.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Releasing this video independently is one thing but how in the hell did Molyneaux not only lie to Xbox Execs but also get away with getting their funding for this barefaced lie?

edit: Unless I guess Xbox were in on it as well....

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just re-watching this video and it's amazing how clearly it's all fabricated. Things like the paper being passed over almost instantly recognising the fish...

Did no-one call this out at the time?

There's stuff happening in this video that even AI assistants now can't do (emotion detecting etc.)

Makes me wonder what their endgame was with this. Did Lionhead think they could actually get this working and they were buying time?

Seems to be the very definition of vapourware.
People called it out at the time.

I think people were still willing to give Molyneux the benefit of the doubt due to being an established developer and believing that they had a working prototype, even if some of the footage was embellished for the presentation.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Releasing this video independently is one thing but how in the hell did Molyneaux not only lie to Xbox Execs but also get away with getting their funding for this barefaced lie?

edit: Unless I guess Xbox were in on it as well....

sure they were in on it.. do you not remember the cirque du soleil show..? the Star wars presentation? or almost everything about Kinect at that time? it was a fine product, but it was advertised as the next BIG thing in gaming...

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I'm now craving for Milo.

102296_milo_1.png

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out there's not much of an audience for a game about watching and talking to an adolescent boy for extended periods of time.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
If it actually works it would be quite popular in some genres. For example, a Love Plus game, a Nintendo's game, etc.