• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't remember any of this. I was very successful at ignoring the N-Gage.

The only "advertising" I remember about it was at E3 2005, when my friend and I walked past the N-Gage booth, and the attractive young woman at the booth stopped us and asked us to try it. So we did, briefly. I recall being mildly impressed at the graphics.

Then we moved on to the next booth, which had several high-powered PCs running Crysis at an atrocious framerate.

Good times.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am not sure if anyone chronicled it unfortunately but there was this N-Gage ad that ALWAYS made me burst out into laughter.

It was some dude quietly playing in a waiting room then suddenly shouting "Get off me! GET OFF ME!! GET OFF ME!!" then he starts whining while holding back tears a bit then continues quietly playing.

Anyone remember that?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I'm afraid to ask but I legit don't understand the "Lara" ad
Talking about Tomb Raider? Because I remember that being advertised for the NGage
What's with the scenery of the bus stop(?) At night?
I feel like it's some fucked up innuendo based on other examples in the thread but I really don't get what it's trying to tell me

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about Tomb Raider? Because I remember that being advertised for the NGage
I feel like it's some fucked up innuendo based on other examples in the thread but I really don't get what it's trying to tell me
"get far" with someone refers to "bases" of sexual conquest. First base is typically kissing, second base making out, third base heavy petting, home run being sex. It's saying she is a bus stop whore and they had sex with her where she'd only let others do heavy petting or similar.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

"get far" with someone refers to "bases" of sexual conquest. First base is typically kissing, second base making out, third base heavy petting, home run being sex. It's saying she is a bus stop whore and they had sex with her where she'd only let others do heavy petting or similar.

Yes, double entendre. Got far in Tomb Raider while waiting for the bus, or see above :D

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I'm cool as fuck and the gp32 was way better. The gp32 could link up to the dreamcast.

It was ❤️ I remember bringing it to high school (in France) at a time when video games were still seen as toys, even the GBA. Everyone was amazed at how you could watch movies and play MP3s on the go, that was 2002. That is also off-topic so : yeah, the N-Gage was trying really hard to be rad. Shame both of them were a miss...

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was ❤ I remember bringing it to high school (in France) at a time when video games were still seen as toys, even the GBA. Everyone was amazed at how you could watch movies and play MP3s on the go, that was 2002. That is also off-topic so : yeah, the N-Gage was trying really hard to be rad. Shame both of them were a miss...

The gp32 was my first mp3 player. I used it in college. No joke, the gp32 is my all time favorite portable system. I got it for my birthday from lik sang. The day I got it, my grandma got me a big SD card for it. I was going somewhere that evening with the folks and threw little John, an nes emulator on it, and loaded ninja Gaiden 2, one of my favorite nes games, and played it on the go. Absolutely mind blowing in 2002. I had a super early model with the old stick that wouldnt hit the corners right, so I had to whittle down the stick and sand down the well the stick went in. Later got a BLU when they upgraded, still have both gp32s. I have a lot of legit games for it too, including tomak and little wizard. It was the first time I ever bought a digital game too, before steam and direct2drive. I bought pinball dreams for it digitally on their online store. Later bought blue Angelo, one of the best games on the system. The port of doom was amazing.

I remember when the gp32 launched in Europe and they had a big os update that changed the look and feel of the entire system. Also remember buying gpcinema so I could watch movies on it.

I would do programming for the gp32 using sdl. Talked to Ryan Gordon about it once and he had never even heard of the system, was amazed that sdl had gone that far.

Amazing system. So, sooooo ahead of its time.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
7c8cf25c25223c5d2debe7a0ce8f6483935474cf
SIDETALKING 4 LIFE.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first half of the 2000s was basically just the 90s, but with desaturated colors, tribal tats and hair gel.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The buildup to the Ngage was really weird for sure. I still remember being confused about why anyone would ever want one of those.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorta bump, because I have gotten a bead on a supposed N-Gage software development variant, which blew my mind because I'd always heard N-Gage software was just developed on PCs using standard s60 hardware and an N-Gage emulator. Supposedly this N-Gage SDK has some sort of built in port to interface with a development PC.

I think I would very much like to take a stab at writing N-Gage homebrew lol.

Apr 25, 2020
I owned an N-Gage back in the day. It was the Christmas gift for a very naive 13 year old who was looking for his first ever mobile phone.....And happened to be a gamer who fell for this shit hard. I played the Tony Hawk game a fair bit but that was it. Everything about it was just a catastrophe of poor design choices, sleazy marketing and mostly shit games.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The later N-Gage software was pretty good, actually, and the QD was pretty alright.

Fair. I agree that the QD was decent, but it came out at a time when the DS and PSP were about to totally revamp handheld gaming.

That said, the advertising seemed to be something that pretty much every company that has challenged Nintendo in handhelds has done since the early 90's - position their device as the cool, hip, edgy, teen alternative to Nintendo's kiddy baby games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me want to read more about actually good things from otherwise terrible systems/products.

no system is truly completely awful or terrible. There are usually some neat or cool things on literally every system I own worth checking out. It's usually the cost involved that makes them not worth investing into, though. Like, to get the good out of the n-gage, you have to spend a lot of money for the actually good games. way more than they're actually worth. But in isolation, ignoring cost? If they had been sold like normal titles? Lots of actually really good games on the system.

Even the tiger R-zone, I liked the panzer dragoon game. To a degree, of course.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me want to read more about actually good things from otherwise terrible systems/products.
It wasn't terrible. Some game recommendations here:
www.resetera.com

Nokia N-Gage Appreciation Thread

That's right. I said appreciation and N-Gage in the same sentence. Launched in October 2003, the N-Gage was Nokia's attempt to merge the handheld gaming and cell phone markets into one machine. At the time it reminded me of the "multimedia" systems of the '90s trying to merge game consoles with...