• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The quality of the show took a nosedive in Season 5 imo, but the last couple of seasons were hilariously bad. I have no interest in even thinking about the latter half of the series anymore, so I don't bother talking about it. I bought the first four seasons on Blu-Ray. That's all I'll ever need.

Battle of the Bastards is trash ftr.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember S3? Aaaaah those were the days

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the best series ever. Just skip the last few episodes and you are good. Many incredible episodes, the battle of the bastards is the best episode ever made on any series.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it fairly normal to stop talking about a show when it ends? There isn't anything new to discuss so people move onto other things.

Even when something ends it often has a long-lasting cultural impact. People still talk about the Sopranos, for example. That still might happen with GoT of course, who knows how time will treat it--but I definitely agree with the OP that it just sort of... fell off the radar in my experience.

of course time is just moving so fast these days who knows if this is exclusive to GoT

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I still haven't bothered watching the last 2 episodes and I've seen every episode before it.

Game of Thrones was incredible initially. It was depressing to see it devolve as bad as it did in the final season.

Not all of the later seasons are as bad as people make them out to be. They are perfectly fine. Only the last season seemed actively poor.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't blame the show writers.

I blame GRRM for being super lazy. I have no desire to see the prequel show or to read the last book(s) anymore.

The show ended for me in the Knight of the 7 Kingdoms episode. Best episode of the season IMO. After that, it was just dumb.

GRRM's not lazy. The opposite. What he is is super unfocused. He juggles 20 different projects at once. He edits the Wild Cards stories and keeps the lore straight, he's a producer for several different shows, he goes to cons all the time, he runs a movie theater and he also built a fucking world for From Software for their next videogame etc.

Blame the show writers for not earning the ending that they had in their heads since season 3.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
It went from being my all time favorite series to being a forgettable show that i don't even care about at this point, never thought that would be possible. The last season just killed every ounce of passion i had for the show

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Last season went from: "I can't wait to get this whole show in 4k blu-ray and re-watch it" to "I never want to see or hear about this show ever again."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The thing that gets me about that is by season 5/6 they must have been briefed by Martin on the ending. But there seemed to be little/no interest to build towards that, like they didn't give a crap about Bran and were happy to keep Dany basically a "good guy" all the way through season until the very end.

It's like they knew where the had to end up but were in denial about it or something.

GRRM told them his whole ending between seasons 2 and 3 in 2013.

"Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don't know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be," Benioff says in the April issue of Vanity Fair. "If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character."

That's right. The trio had a spoiler-filled summit in Martin's Southwestern abode. Still writing book six, The Winds of Winter, Martin noted that not all of the pieces of the puzzle are in place. "I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren't there yet," he tells Vanity Fair. "I'm hopeful that I cannot let them catch up with me."

And they've said 2 separate times now that they knew Bran was going to be king from the beginning.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god I didnt invest my time from the very beginning like a lot of poor souls did. I only started watching around S5 and just like Lost and Dex, I was hooked enough to see it to the end and laugh my ass off. Acutally, I bailed on Dex during S2. Never bothered to go back.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The massive backlash didn't start earlier because season 5 and 6 are nowhere near the shit that is season 7 and especially 8.

Season 7/8 is some of the worst writing ever, it's a polished turd with great actors, great music, and great sets. There's nothing more to it, it's literal shit.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
This. It's not possible to have a discussion about the show anymore that isn't 147% toxic fandom bullshit. So why bother.

I dunno. I love S1-S7, and S8 was a huge failure. I hope I still count as a fan :P This is not a particularly toxic opinion to have, and it is backed up by careful analysis of the episodes, not just random rants.

Quick edit: and I hope fans at least all agree on the fact that Djawadi's OST is brilliant for every single season.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I love S1-S7, and S8 was a huge failure. I hope I still count as a fan :P This is not a particularly toxic opinion to have, and it is backed up by careful analysis of the episodes, not just random rants.

Quick edit: and I hope fans at least all agree on the fact that Djawadi's OST is brilliant for every single season.

Yeah, this toxic stuff is bs, it's not an internet thing, almost everyone I discuss it with IRL hates the ending. I'm still a big fan of the IP and I hope it survives this mess, but it's definitely in danger now.

Ramin Djawadi is amazing and I truly hope he does House of The Dragon.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah, this toxic stuff is bs, it's not an internet thing, almost everyone I discuss it with IRL hates the ending. I'm still a big fan of the IP and I hope it survives this mess, but it's definitely in danger now.

Ramin Djawadi is amazing and I truly hope he does House of The Dragon.

I legit got a text post-finale Monday from my Mom who only saw the first season saying "'omg everyone is saying the finale was awful was it??" Every radio station, every casual media newsfeed, everything was talking about what a mess it was

By all means like it if you want but this apologist narrative people are trying to shill is bs because it got torn apart online from waaaaay more outlets than " toxic fans"

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
No, because they completely botched the ending.

It's not toxic to say that, just like it's not toxic to say Transformers 3 isn't a great film.

Dec 31, 2017
The last couple seasons were incredible in every way, but completely failed when it came to writing. Truly a sad example of squandering potential and fucking up the landing.

Still looking forward to the Targaeryen series. The world of ice and fire is enormous with extreme amounts of lore to be discovered.

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
That last season was so bad that I have no desire to even talk about the show.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think House of the Dragon will do reasonably well, but it won't be a pop culture phenomenon the way GoT was. Kinda like Breaking Bad to Better Call Saul in terms of popularity.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
The only good thing I can say about the last season is that all the world class talent that went into making it such a spectacular visual achievement are still out there, and their work will continue to raise the standards of what we can expect from a TV show.

That is the only good thing.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I feel about it exactly like how I felt about Lost. I was so into Lost but then it ended and all of that was gone. That is, it was shit but I enjoyed the ride and chatting about it every week for years. It's about the journey and all that. I don't really relate to the retroactive ruining of the series. I will never ever want to watch either of these shows again but the moments I had was still good, I don't regret being there.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
The people who like it, myself included, don't like talking about it publicly anymore, because 100% of the discourse turns toxic immediately. I talk about it with close friends now.

This. Plus people typically stop talking about shows months after they've finished. This isn't unusual.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Same here. LOST will forever have the single worst ending ever. The last two seasons were embarrassing trash.
I always wondered what happened to that dude that was in charge of the underwater facility. He set that bomb and then scuba dived away. Just a random thought that always stuck with me.

Yeah this show fell out of the zeitgeist FAST. It'll be interesting what the interest level is like for the other HBO GOT series when they come out. Will people just watch the Tolkien series on Amazon or the wheel of time series and just ignore the GOT prequels cause they're pissed?

Obligatory fuck the jets for GRRM.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Who of where?

There's nothing to talk about, other than the next book and any news about its release.

The show's final season disappointed millions of people by Thanos snapping the White Walkers in a single episode and completely disregarding their centrality to the series' themes, rolling back seasons' worth of character development, and boiling down all the complexities and shades of gray to a petty black-and-white power struggle. I think a lot of us prefer to block it out.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
theres more amazing tv shows than ever before, and new ones are constantly coming out - i just think that even if the ending was great, it still wouldnt be talked about much anymore.

I personally absolutely loathed some of the choices in the final season - the long night was one of the most disappointing episode of tv ive ever watched, for example, but ultimately still enjoyed it. I think about it a lot... but there's not much to talk about really.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's actually quite sad how the show fell off the map, albeit deservedly.

We all witnessed what could have been one of the greatest Television events ever, just turn into a complete void in a matter of months. A show that could have joined the ranks among LOTR & Marvel in terms of storytelling, visuals, and meeting the hype. All vanished.

I do agree with some that we will look back at GoT and appreciate it more at some point, and I cant wait to rewatch it again. So far though I've had zero itch to do so, which to me speaks volumes.

Even after the Lost finale I'd jump with excitement at a friend saying they wanted to get into it. Any time GoT is brought up (which isnt much at all anymore) my first response is always "Well...", like I'm about to give my Star Wars Prequel warning.

When all else fails I really just appreciate how hard it is for TV shows to go out on top and stand the test of time. Breaking Bad, The Wire, Six Feet Under (my baby), all more impressive looking back at it post GoT.

And lastly, hopefully HBO learned quite the lesson heading in to any spinoffs they have planned down the road. My fear is we could see GoT shifted into some sort of TWD fatigue if not.

RIP.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people who were watching it casually don't give a crap anymore since it's over, and the people who cared want to forget about it ASAP (or meme it to death) due to how much the quality dropped in the later seasons, especially the last one.

Everyone thought it would join Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Shield and co. as one of the best TV dramas in history, but instead it joined shows like Dexter or LOST or in the hall of infamous shows which started out fantastic but shat the bed so hard most people just want to forget about them.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I haven't watched the last season yet because it only came out on Blu-ray a few days ago, but I'm looking forward to finally bringing this series to a close!! Hopefully there are some reflection videos and that sort of thing in the bonus material as well!

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, people have been invested in the show for such a long time. For show watchers, close to a decade. For book readers, over two decades!

The main complaint is that the show totally fell flat on the landing. And it's not the plot points or where characters ultimately end up, but rather that the showrunners seemingly rushed through in a manner that wasn't cohesive or consistent with the themes and arcs of the major characters. It wasn't the ends, but the means that I think most people take issue with.