• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
It's like someone took the two Death's Head and mashed them together.

61enc5IooGL.jpg

images

I really liked Death's Head II. It sucks they put him on ice. :(

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at those desings reaffirms my belief that my cherry picking of DC books throughout the years was a wise decision.
Then again I've always liked when Pat Mills riffed off of everyone's super heroes in Marshal Law, so what sort of taste do I have?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
A thread about a pastiche/parody team confirms your feelings that Marvel has better character design?
I'm being a little cheeky but yes.

Hyperion has always had a pretty consistent and solid look. Riffing on Supes from day one by having the huge belt/belt tights instead of straight tights
Yeah Squadron Supreme is like parody designs done well, they aren't just bootleg versions of the characters to get around copyrights or just made to poke fun, they work as parody and as their own thing. It never consciously registered that Hyperion's belt was a riff on Superman's underwear tights but it does poke fun while making it unique enough to be it's own thing rather than just a gag about the design choice, something that even DC seems to acknowledge is dated in its design but has a difficult time moving past.

I guess a counter point would be how some of Marvel's biggest characters aren't parodies but lifting lots of elements from DC characters to make a different character, like how we got Thanos being like Darkseid or Deadpool being like Deathstroke.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Overall I do like the Original Death's Head more but I do like the second one as well. It was cool having him back for a bit during Revolutionary War Event a few years back.

I liked the design better of the second version. An arm that transforms into different weapons, or a mace and axe? Kid me also thought a time/space traveling cyborg who fights evil was more exciting than a robot bounty hunter.

I haven't read comics in years now, but if they brought DH back for a spell I need to look that up.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm being a little cheeky but yes.

Yeah Squadron Supreme is like parody designs done well, they aren't just bootleg versions of the characters to get around copyrights or just made to poke fun, they work as parody and as their own thing. It never consciously registered that Hyperion's belt was a riff on Superman's underwear tights but it does poke fun while making it unique enough to be it's own thing rather than just a gag about the design choice, something that even DC seems to acknowledge is dated in its design but has a difficult time moving past.

I guess a counter point would be how some of Marvel's biggest characters aren't parodies but lifting lots of elements from DC characters to make a different character, like how we got Thanos being like Darkseid or Deadpool being like Deathstroke.
Back in the early days when they were purely villainous they had a lot of fun with the riffing. For example early Hyperion played with the unreliable narrator trope and he presented a different origin each time he showed up against a different team with a grudge against humanity being the recurring theme. What I want to say was the second of the early origins that he told while selling the earth's water to intergalactic miners was a really good inversion of Supes. He was the sole survivor of a planet from the micro verse that was destroyed because it was the atom split by the first atomic bomb created humanity, he mysteriously escaped with powers to destroy mankind.

also Supes gets his powers from the sun while Hyperion is essentially a living sun. That was another fun riff I liked

Of course as Slayven will tell you he's been reformed and his origin standardized at this point

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's Justice League took over their world, and their version of Firestorm got cancer and died.

Squadron Supreme is an obvious Justice League knockoff, yeah. But unlike the way DC treats its Marvel homages, the Squadron Supreme actually feels like characters with some thought behind them.

DC's Marvel pastiches just read like "lol marvel characters are silly" or "these designs/powers are dumb".

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I liked the design better of the second version. An arm that transforms into different weapons, or a mace and axe? Kid me also thought a time/space traveling cyborg who fights evil was more exciting than a robot bounty hunter.

I haven't read comics in years now, but if they brought DH back for a spell I need to look that up.
DH2 showed up along with all the other 90s Marvel UK characters showed up in a mostly contained event called Revolutionary War in 2014.

latest

Death's Head 1 has been making semi regular appearances throughout the Marvel Universe and had a miniseries where he co-starred with Wiccan and Hulkling called Death's Head and introduced another new Death's Head and the return of Evelyn Necker in 2019.
clean.jpg

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
The Extremists got another redesign a couple years ago. Vixen's JLA had fought them. It was a pretty good arc.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DH2 showed up along with all the other 90s Marvel UK characters showed up in a mostly contained event called Revolutionary War in 2014.

latest

Death's Head 1 has been making semi regular appearances throughout the Marvel Universe and had a miniseries where he co-starred with Wiccan and Hulkling called Death's Head and introduced another new Death's Head and the return of Evelyn Necker in 2019.
clean.jpg
That Deaths Head book looks dope! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Squadron Supreme is an obvious Justice League knockoff, yeah. But unlike the way DC treats its Marvel homages, the Squadron Supreme actually feels like characters with some thought behind them.

DC's Marvel pastiches just read like "lol marvel characters are silly" or "these designs/powers are dumb".

I think at least part of that is the iconic nature of the DC pantheon. There seem to be a lot more homages to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Justice League, done by creators that want to work with the archetypes (like Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Alan Moore on Supreme, etc.). Besides the Image copycats (because most of those creators had just left Marvel), the first time I can think of a truly iconic reimagining of Marvel characters was Planetary (I'm probably missing something). Like who even remembers that Cyborg Superman was an FF rip off?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Who is the better spin on Superman? Sentry or Hyperion? I honestly can't decide, both have compelling arguments: one has the particularity of also being a being of pure chaos called The Void and not believing in his own existence, the other is a refugee from another dead dimension and also a part of Marvel's spin on Justice League.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the early days when they were purely villainous they had a lot of fun with the riffing. For example early Hyperion played with the unreliable narrator trope and he presented a different origin each time he showed up against a different team with a grudge against humanity being the recurring theme. What I want to say was the second of the early origins that he told while selling the earth's water to intergalactic miners was a really good inversion of Supes. He was the sole survivor of a planet from the micro verse that was destroyed because it was the atom split by the first atomic bomb created humanity, he mysteriously escaped with powers to destroy mankind.

also Supes gets his powers from the sun while Hyperion is essentially a living sun. That was another fun riff I liked

Of course as Slayven will tell you he's been reformed and his origin standardized at this point
It's not that Hyperion showed up with a different origin, it's that those were all different Hyperion's. Most Squadron appearances consisted of them popping up from different universes and different dimensions, and characters in universe noting that these are different versions and the different versions, mainly the different Hyperions, popping up to fight each other.

Even the current Squadron in the comics right now is different from the Squadron of merely five years ago.

Who is the better spin on Superman? Sentry or Hyperion? I honestly can't decide, both have compelling arguments: one has the particularity of also being a being of pure chaos called The Void and not believing in his own existence, the other is a refugee from another dead dimension and also a part of Marvel's spin on Justice League.
The real answer is Mr. Majestic.