• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely LOVED the MP in those games, so many great memories especially playing Brotherhood.
I always wondered why they got rid of the MP. It was something different.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Should make a F2P version with maps from across the series and a handfull of free skins, then sell more from across the series too.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
WTF OP, I was going to make this thread today. So weird. Is there a reason why we felt compelled to reminisce about AC online modes? They really were fun and tense, sneaking up on other players instead of the usual twitchy kill-fests.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's actually a crime that they stopped making them, and arent even including them in the re-releases.

Probably the most fun I've -ever- had in any MP game.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
WTF OP, I was going to make this thread today. So weird. Is there a reason why we felt compelled to reminisce about AC online modes? They really were fun and tense, sneaking up on other players instead of the usual twitchy kill-fests.
i got the idea in the black flag/rogue coming to switch and how the mp would be excluded. and i was like , oh yeah those modes were neat.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Brotherhood's MP mode was dope, having to blend in and psyche people out was the best.

Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't my cup of tea personally, but I feel like AC multi was well-received compared to like Dead Space or BioShock or something. It's weird that they dropped it. I have one friend who was super into it and basically dropped the series after they stopped including the multi.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played any Assassin's Creed multiplayer, but I just played through Watch_Dogs and loved the stealth multiplayer in it. You'd think they would keep this kind of thing going with the newer Assassin's Creed games, but maybe they just didn't have enough people playing compared to the singleplayer to justify the added costs?

Regardless, it's a shame.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who spent ungodly hours on those modes I never really figured out why it didn't resonate with people, yes .. it had a learning curve but it wasn't Auto Chess or a fighting game type of learning curve, and I thought the thrill of getting them big scores by a single kill and seeing yourself shoot-up to the first place after stalking someone across half the map would keep people coming.

There was only I think one game that tried to recapture what those games had which was Murderous Pursuits but .... it didn't do too hot.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think they just need to emulate Revelations MP and bring back some classic maps and make it a stand alone AC MP game. Make it free to play or whatever. Do it Ubisoft!

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I miss it.. wouldn't mind if some other company tries out the same concept. Imagine this mode with a few adjustments in a Hitman game...

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't very good at this MP but it was really well crafted. I remember how long it took getting to Lv50 for the Platinum trophy on Brotherhood lol

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Two ways to play? I don't think anyone got the memo. When I played everyone was running around not even trying to be subtle. It didn't take me long to drop it.

I think it's an awesome concept on paper but shitty people always ruin things.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know about this one. Looks better than The Ship. What was the problems?
I didn't play much tbh but from what I remember, the game controls just felt ... bad? it wasn't fun to control/kill/escape(really weak on the game feel), and was lil bit clunky mainly the lock on.

Other than that it was a faithful good attempt to recapture what the AC games did.
They had a free weekend with 144k players peak but nobody stuck around :/

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I barely touched this series, but one of the couple times I did, it was Brotherhood's multiplayer.

A lot of criticism has been levied at the series' easy freerunning and simple "blend into crowd" feature, but when you're pitted against human players who can do everything you can, it suddenly enriches those mechanics tenfold. Using those pulleys to zip up while fleeing a pursuer and hopping across the rooftops was really cool and I never encountered something like in the bits of the single-player I'd played.

I would be interested in other experiences like it.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I played a ton of Brotherhood's multiplayer, and I would totally play something like that again.

Lots of fond memories of sitting on the couch with my little brother, passing the controller off after each match and sharing our best methods of acting like a CPU player.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
For Honor is the only one and that was years later

Speaking of: Didn't one of the Arkham games have its own version of this multiplayer? Did anyone ever play it? Was it any good?
That was Origins. It was ok. It was a PvP shooter with two teams of criminals against each other. The twist was that there were also two people playing as Batman and Robin taking out the criminals in the middle of the match.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
That was Origins. It was ok. It was a PvP shooter with two teams of criminals against each other. The twist was that there were also two people playing as Batman and Robin taking out the criminals in the middle of the match.

I never really tried that mode out even though it sounded interesting. I really want some form of multiplayer game that involves roof hopping in a real cityscape, so more multi from these series would be welcome by me.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Such a great game. It's a shame they dropped it. I was going to ask if the switch black flag might give the MP another chance but it looks like it's excluded. Such a bummer!

The MP took quite a bit to get into. It seems like running around is the best at first but you really do want to blend the two play styles. If you play only slow it's hard to reach targets in time. If you play fast your score for each kill will be low. I think the changes to scoring they eventually settled with in Black Flag were the best implementation. It was able to kill the "runners only" play style by making you scope a target for max points instead of starting at max and going down for high profile (which meant if you ran into someone around a corner you'd get a lucky max point kill - those got harder to pull off)

Still, the cat and mouse aspect is still unmatched for me. I spent so many hours across all the games that had MP. When you successful outsmart someone, or find yourself on the other end of an expertly placed poison, it's hard not to be impressed. I remember getting a few friends into it during a steam sale for black flag solely for the MP, and the in-house games we had were SO good.

I would love some kind of MP platform that could bring the game back into focus. It could be an "animus mash up" where you play across all the maps and characters from the different time periods. There's a fair amount of customization IIRC so I could see some opportunities to go for some kind of fair F2P model if that works best. Unfortunately I think Ubisoft has For Honor as their MP game that sooooorta fits the niche (I know they are completely different gameplay-wise, but vaguely similar in terms of theme and setting). It is still such an utterly unique competitive multiplayer game that I think it deserves to be brought back in some way.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Brotherhood's MP, when Revelations came out I played it for a bit but I remember them making some changes to the game modes that made it feel more arcadey like smaller map sizes and stuff. For me I loved the real long chases that spanned a large area until you finally got the kill. I kinda burned out on it though so I never tried AC3 or 4's mp.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it's looking like i'm the only one in the thread that preferred Revelations MP eh?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 18807

it's looking like i'm the only one in the thread that preferred Revelations MP eh?

giphy.gif
Not at all.
Case in point is that a very significant part of the AC playerbase skipped Revelations for various reasons. I skipped because I was fucking tired of Ezio, but there were some people that skipped it because the multiplayer didn't seem improved substantially over Brotherhood.
But as far as I can tell, Revelations's MP was the most balanced, deep and competitive in the entire series, so it eventually gathered a lot of the multiplayer enthusiasts that hated how they handled MP in AC3 and beyond (me included).
Unfortunately that was already very late for me and I could barely find any servers.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not at all.
Case in point is that a very significant part of the AC playerbase skipped Revelations for various reasons. I skipped because I was fucking tired of Ezio, but there were some people that skipped it because the multiplayer didn't seem improved substantially over Brotherhood.
But as far as I can tell, Revelations's MP was the most balanced, deep and competitive in the entire series, so it eventually gathered a lot of the multiplayer enthusiasts that hated how they handled MP in AC3 and beyond (me included).
Unfortunately that was already very late for me and I could barely find any servers.
yeah i didn't care for the single player for revelations but really dug the MP. I see you're a man of culture as well ;)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the multiplayer in Black Flag, but it was one of those where if people didn't play the objective properly, it completely ruined the experience.

Most matches ended up with most players just running around trying to kill whoever.