• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Remember RTS games? I miss those
AoM brings backbgreat childhood memories alongside wc3 and the lotr strategy games

I remember having AoM with the expansion disk but for some reason my baby brain was incapable of installing the update for 2 years. No matter how little content it had, once i got it working I was over the moon

The Expansion was disappointing tho, instead of introducing some other mythologies they just added the Titans.
Afaik the titans expansion included the Atlanteans

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean ugly duck?

I remember it being very popular, as much as expected from a successor to AoE2.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Can anyone remember what this unit is called at 03:20?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I usually dislike RTS games and I absolutely loved Age of Mythology. It got me into mythology as a whole and I have very fond memories of it.
I had always been interested in Greek mythology but the game opened up a whole new world of myths to me. I loved learning about Egyptian and Norse mythology and reading more about units through that in-game encyclopedia full of factoids and trivia!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
you are very right that history is taught in a very nationalist way. We just don't give a fuck about it. Our "culture/way of life" is (has always been?) about having good food, drink and companionship (read that as sex). Combine that with the fact that our last dictatorship was the exact opposite of that (faith,work and family - read that as less sex) it leads us to pick governments and staff that are mostly left wing. Which kinda leads to more tolerance because if you can afford good food, drink and have companionship then who cares about [insert discriminatory/minority trait] people.
It is an EXTREME contrast between the people and the books.
You can see our nationalistic tendencies in soccer. Portuguese fans are horrible.
It is just that in normal everyday we just don't care that much about Portugal being the "best country", we just want it to be a comfortable home.

Note that portugal was super misogynist and still has a lot of issues because of it despite many of our leaders being ladies.
Well, at least seems that people dont give a fuck about natinoalistic history at the end of the day, and thats the important thing. And dont worry, not only portugal is nationalisitc in football. We all know how nealry every country in europe is exactly the same with that lol

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Remember RTS games? I miss those
AoM brings backbgreat childhood memories alongside wc3 and the lotr strategy games

I remember having AoM with the expansion disk but for some reason my baby brain was incapable of installing the update for 2 years. No matter how little content it had, once i got it working I was over the moon

Afaik the titans expansion included the Atlanteans
Which were basically the Greeks again, is what I'm saying.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Really fun single-player, but no multi-player staying power, compared to the juggernaut that is AoK; still it's the second-best AoE game. Always wanted a sequel to tackle more exotic pantheon but the Chinese expansion is apparently not Forgotten Empires' finest work.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
After Ensemble's demise, the early to mid 2010s were probably a low point for the series with Online's missteps and the weak HD/Extended Edition re-releases.

AoM needs a Definitive Edition because frankly the Extended Edition plus later expansion chucked out at the time were terribly low effort and poorly resourced during development.

It deserves better.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Easily one of the best RTS I ever played, I loved building towards the Titans too. Smart players would find ways to destroy them quick.

I hope MS does another one after Age of Empires 4.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Was one of my favorites games of my childhood. If Microsoft decided to release a Definitive Edition like the recent AoE games, I would be there day one. And also if they released a sequel.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play too much back in the day but I had fun with it.

Hopefully there is at least a definitive edition in the works.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Age of Mythology is my favorite RTS game by far, I'm happy to see so many other people saying they loved it; I feel like it's usually way overshadowed by AoE2.

For those unaware, the version on Steam released with a new expansion back in 2016 called "Tale of the Dragon" that adds Chinese Civs and a new campaign, and it even got balance updates as recently as June 2020.

The new Civs aren't quite up to par with the originals, but I had a ton of fun revisiting the game earlier this year with new content! The online community seems small (and mostly focused on playing "serious" game modes versus the silly ones I loved as a kid), but there are still matches being played if you're interested.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I adore Age of Mythology...but stay well away from the wreck that is Extended Edition.

I sincerely hope the game gets the DE treatment. That they are pursuing more aggressive changes to AoE III DE than the previous two games shows that there is some hope that a major cleanup of EE can happen. And the game is just begging for a Celtic civ to round things off (Chinese never made much sense as a choice IMO given the game's regional focus).

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Remember? It's one of my favorite RTS games of all time. I spent thousands of hours as a teenager playing custom AoM maps online. I was kind of bummed they went with AoE III for the latest Definitive Edition instead of AoM, but I'm hopeful that they'll get to it someday. Maybe. Please?

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love this game. I haven't played many RTS games but AoM is my favorite by far. I still remember all the cheats i used when i was a kid lol.

ATM OF EREBUS
TROJAN HORSE FOR SALE
JUNK FOOD NIGHT
ISIS HEAR MY PLEA
DIVINE INTERVENTION

And of course:

O CANADA

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
AoM is one of my favorite games ever and helped mold me into a lifelong fan of ancient mythologies. It has a legit contender for the best RTS campaign ever. Such an awesome story and a fantastic mix of stories and characters from various cultures. I would love to see a sequel one day.

Oct 26, 2017
But what about

81AYJiAeKwS.jpg

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
An absolutely incredible game that I have poured way too much time into over the years. Played it a ton back in high school.

Gameplay aside, possibly my single most cherished friendship to this day began with geeking out about this game with another kid who just happened to be equally obsessed with it... so it's got that going for it too, subjectively.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that Age of Empires 3 is considered the ugly duck. Mythology seems to be better received in general.

I do really hope it gets the DE treatment. Sure the Extended Edition is out, but AOE 2 got an HD release before DE so maybe Mythology will get a DE release in the future.

I would LOVE to see a Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds DE, but I'm sure that's a licensing nightmare.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I adore Age of Mythology...but stay well away from the wreck that is Extended Edition.

I sincerely hope the game gets the DE treatment. That they are pursuing more aggressive changes to AoE III DE than the previous two games shows that there is some hope that a major cleanup of EE can happen. And the game is just begging for a Celtic civ to round things off (Chinese never made much sense as a choice IMO given the game's regional focus).
Celtic, mesoamerican, or one of the many polytheistic religions of the ancient Mediterranean would be awesome. Hello Baal.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
It was fun in its own way. I don't recall that much aside from not liking the early 3d as much as the 2d used in Age of Empires, and the balance seeming off with some myth units being junk or virtually so, and others being really strong.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One of my favourite PC games of all time, and the best Age of game in my eyes.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
AoM is the one Age of game that deserves a Definitive Edition over AoE3, but I guess getting the whole trilogy out before 4 makes sense.
Really hope they look into AoM DE now, I'd buy that one too, got me into mythology stuff and I loved how unique it was.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Just reading the title I can't remember much of the game other than I finished (maybe?) and the twister you could launch to your enemies, everything else is drowned by the sound of the fans on my pre-built Alaska PC trying not to die while running this game at a rock solid 15fps.

For some reason, Empire Earth, Black and White, Unreal Tournament and AvP had better performance and did not caused the fans to rev up as much as AoM.

I could give it another go if I can manage to fix my PC and if I can find my CD.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Absolutely my favorite game in the series, but man The Titans expansion introduced so many broken aspects. The HD release also was just not great. Hopefully a sequel would capture what made the original release so good.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Leye? Isvoli! Voulome!!

Pretty sure i ran into some greek people and asked them what these words meant. Needless to say, noone spoke ancient greece.
Prostagma = Order (as in, I give an order, not the order of things)
Etimos = Ready
Leye = Say it
Isvoli! = Invasion!
Voulome = I want

Ancient and modern Greek are largely the same. Source: am Greek.

Are you sure those you ran into were Greeks 🤔

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Excellent RTS for the time. I really wish the recent Steam port with the China campaign hadn't been such a bummer. A full budget modern sequel with the scope of a StarCraft II campaign would be great.