• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
What came to my mind reading the title

YYwyw08.png

Let's hope is not a hot mess like Quantum Break was. Unplayable even today.

Yeah I hated QB but loved Alan Wake so I'm hoping this is a bit more than a return to form for Remedy.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I am a little confused by this game... Is it a horror game or not?

I heard it was based off of the SCP Foundation but I can't really see that from the trailers.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all over this. Playing with a character who has strong telekinetic powers is a fever dream of mine.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Pre ordered on Xbox blind because I trust Remedy that much. Looking forward to playing it again on PC in a year too.

I hope this is a smash hit for them.

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019
No HDR is a bummer, but there's no way in hell I'd skip a new Remedy game! Already pre-ordered on Xbox One and PC, can't wait!
HDR would have been perfect for this game with its atmosphere, bright lights constrasted by darkness... Plus vivid colors to break it up. Would have contributed immensely to the atmosphere and immersion. Huge oversight and I'm incredibly bittered because I too was looking fwd to the next Remedy game for years. QB I gave a pass as it was 2016 and still very early days for HDR. But this is just unacceptable in 2019. Just Cause, Wolfenstein, Rage and now Control. Can only hope it will be patched down the line.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
HDR would have been perfect for this game with its atmosphere, bright lights constrasted by darkness... Plus vivid colors to break it up. Would have contributed immensely to the atmosphere and immersion. Huge oversight and I'm incredibly bittered because I too was looking fwd to the next Remedy game for years. QB I gave a pass as it was 2016 and still very early days for HDR. But this is just unacceptable in 2019. Just Cause, Wolfenstein, Rage and now Control. Can only hope it will be patched down the line.

Worst part for me is that I bought a 4K HDR TV and bought an X pretty much for this game, since my 1070 can't play in 4K HDR, but whatever, Gears is around the corner!

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, I'm very, very hyped for the game regardless!

Last edited:

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely disappointing. Yet another AAA game with no hdr support. Was so looking fwd to this game, won't be buying.
The experience, gameplay, story and mechanics. All out the window because a recent graphical option isn't available.

The game still looks phenomenal, regardless visually.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Just read that it has metroidvania elements in it I didn't know before. Sounds amazing and the game got even more interesting for me. I seriously can't wait anymore and I haven't had that feeling in a loooong time.

No HDR is a non-issue for me due to lack of HDR capable equipment (it's a mess on Windows 10 anyways).

Is it a horror game or not?
It seems to feature some horror elements such as monsters and bizarre creatures, but it's not a horror game per se.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Worst part for me is that I bought a 4K HDR TV and bought an X pretty much for this game, since my 1070 can't play in 4K HDR, but whatever, Gears is around the corner!

Umm, a 1070 can play in 4k HDR though?

Also it seems completely ridiculous to me to skip a game you've been looking forward to because of HDR support.

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019
The experience, gameplay, story and mechanics. All out the window because a recent graphical option isn't available.

The game still looks phenomenal, regardless visually.
Its actually a game changer, not just a mere graphical option. More impactful than 4k or Ray tracing, no question. The epitome of visual fidelity is unattainable without HDR. Playing it without hdr will only frustrate me because at every scene before I can appreciate it I would say 'man, imagine this in hdr'... would drive me insane. Trust me I have tried but the frustration is simply not worth it. Once you see, you cannot unsee.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
well it's just, there's so many dark corners in the game from what i've seen and HDR would help with clarity a lot. not to mention there's some interesting stuff going on lighting wise and HDR could really help make it pop.

still super hyped though. already got this puppy pre ordered (i hardly do that) really looking forward to diving in. wish we were there already.

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019

Shame bro I feel for you. But yeah there's Gears, Ghost Recon, Star Wars and Call of Duty which are all HDR confirmed for PC so a decent consolation prize to bring me out of my valley of despair.

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019
well it's just, there's so many dark corners in the game from what i've seen and HDR would help with clarity a lot. not to mention there's some interesting stuff going on lighting wise and HDR could really help make it pop.

still super hyped though. already got this puppy pre ordered (i hardly do that) really looking forward to diving in. wish we were there already.
So true. The impact HDR had on Metro was profound and was so looking fwd to seeing it in action in a moody, atmospheric environment like Control's. There were so many jaw dropping moments in Metro where I would just stop and stare...blinding lighting amidst pitch black darkness with a splash of ultra vivid color which made for an unforgettable experience.
My good ol faithful 65" ks9500 blasting at 1500 nits, lighting my lounge up like a Xmas tree.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Couldn't pass up on the PS4 digital deluxe edition. You get a LOT of extra stuff for only $12 more, including the 2 future DLC's.

Really excited for this, looks like Remedy's best game to date.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Any word if Remedy will sell a digital deluxe upgrade separately? I want to get the physical print.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I've been replaying Quantum Break and man the platforming sections in "frozen time" are extremely bad. A chaotic environment where you can't tell what's happening, if you're using your powers correctly, and then an object judders into you and you die. Control must do better in this area.

edit: like, look at this. What?

fUjeREM.jpg

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been replaying Quantum Break and man the platforming sections in "frozen time" are extremely bad. A chaotic environment where you can't tell what's happening, if you're using your powers correctly, and then an object judders into you and you die. Control must do better in this area.

edit: like, look at this. What?

fUjeREM.jpg
I really hope that Control just totally eschews most things from Quantum Break. The limp and weak gunplay, the terrible forced walking sections, the pacing - that all needs to be drastically improved upon here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a CE of some sort available in Canada?

there is no collectors edition at all, afaik. there is only the standard edition and the deluxe edition, and the difference (from the website) is (prices USD):

If you pre-order the standard edition of the game for $60, you receive two exclusive in-game items: Jesse's Tactical Response Gear outfit and a Crafting Resources pack. Pre-orders of the PS4 version also receive rare Service Weapon and character modes, the Astral Dive suit for Jesse, and two themes featuring the game.

The physical Retail Deluxe Edition is available for PS4 and Xbox One for $70 and comes with exclusive metal packaging and limited edition art cards. The PS4 Digital Deluxe Edition is $80 and comes with all of the items in the standard PS4 edition, as well as an extra side mission called "Isolation," and Jesse's Urban Response Gear outfit. The PS4 Digital Deluxe Edition also includes both expansion packs, "The Foundation" and "AWE," which will release after launch.

there only seems to be the regular $60 edition for PC players on the epic game store, no physical version. The PC version doesn't even mention anything about expansion packs, but it does say pre orders get the Tactical Response gear and crafting resources.

The whole thing is super bizarre, I don't know why the PS4 versions gets so much more lol. With PS+ the PS4 digital deluxe is also currently $72 and gets you two xpacs and pre order bundles and an extra mission.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that Control just totally eschews most things from Quantum Break. The limp and weak gunplay, the terrible forced walking sections, the pacing - that all needs to be drastically improved upon here.
The gunplay was really surprising, too, because if there's one thing I just take for granted when it comes to Remedy is weapons feeling and sounding great, but Quantum Break really dropped the ball there. Hell, it's Remedy gunplay with superpowers, how in the world could that be boring? And yet... I find combat in Alan Wake much more satisfying. The "explosion" when you break an enemy shield has such a great effect, as well as their death sound, it never gets old.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if someone from Remedy could comment on enhancements for the PS4 Pro and One X. I would like to know what resolution is being rendered on each if possible.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one that read the title as Remote Control and thought oh shit, we're getting a revival of this?!

s-l225.jpg

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
They've specifically stated in interviews (Gamespot I think) that they've re-focused on gameplay and moved away from the design approach they had with Quantum Break. Combined with the more open level design, things bode well for Control as a new direction for Remedy.

My biggest worry is that they still haven't shown much enemy variety in Control, something that's marred their last two games.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They've specifically stated in interviews (Gamespot I think) that they've re-focused on gameplay and moved away from the design approach they had with Quantum Break. Combined with the more open level design, things bode well for Control as a new direction for Remedy.

My biggest worry is that they still haven't shown much enemy variety in Control, something that's marred their last two games.

I'm not very impressed with what I have seen. The environments look very same-y, which I feel is an area Quantum Break was much better. To me, this looks like a low budget version of Quantum Break. I also think the story will be a pretty big step back. Personally, I don't like this trend of everything needing to be more open either.

I cancelled my pre-order, and will purchase Control on a sale if it reviews well.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Quantum Break seems pretty high budget. Graphics are still outstanding 3+ years later, all the "time" effects are incredible, they had several name actors on the cast, they used a lot of licensed music...

Control is almost certainly lower budget, plus it apparently has a semi-open structure.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I find enemy variety isn't as straight foward as it might seem. You mentioned Quantum Break and Alan Wake, but what enemy variety both Max Payne games had? It was just guys with different guns and different skins. Yet I stand with you that neither Max Payne suffered from a lack of different foes, because it's not just about that.

You can make the same enemy feel fresh time and time again, but you need great mechanics to do that. More than that, you need to explore those mechanic in different ways. That what I felt was the biggest Alan Wake's shortcoming.

For Control, it seems the ingredients for a great (top tier Remedy) game are there, let's see how they come together in the final game.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very impressed with what I have seen. The environments look very same-y, which I feel is an area Quantum Break was much better. To me, this looks like a low budget version of Quantum Break. I also think the story will be a pretty big step back. Personally, I don't like this trend of everything needing to be more open either.

I cancelled my pre-order, and will purchase Control on a sale if it reviews well.
On the bright side it isn't open world, instead they're promoting more intricate levels with their metroid-vania comparisons. It's a more nuanced design choice, I think.

I find enemy variety isn't as straight foward as it might seem. You mentioned Quantum Break and Alan Wake, but what enemy variety both Max Payne games had? It was just guys with different guns and different skins. Yet I stand with you that neither Max Payne suffered from a lack of different foes, because it's not just about that.

You can make the same enemy feel fresh time and time again, but you need great mechanics to do that. More than that, you need to explore those mechanic in different ways. That what I felt was the biggest Alan Wake's shortcoming.

Yea, Max Payne had a better balance of vulnerability without bullet time, it gave it an edge that was satisfying despite the same gangsters. I'm not expecting Control to bring back that simple magic either, just hoping that it doesn't feel flat for 9 hours. With their focus on weirdness maybe it means creative enemies or bosses, but if they're nailing the gunplay loop, all the better.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I haven't enjoyed a Remedy game since Max Payne 2 (finished AW and tried to get into QB several times, unsuccessfully), so I'm cautious.
But I'll wait for the reviews, maybe this time it'll be actually good.