• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Depends on how the dev kits / hardware tools will differ between X|S

MS needs to make it as easy as possible to port between platforms

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Era writing off a developer's comments cause they know better. lol k.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else remember the endless vitriolic arguments on this website when I reported last December that Lockhart wasn't canceled and that its existence was worrying some developers? I sure remember lol

Aug 6, 2020
I'm a software engineer, but take this with a grain of salt.

Here's the thing, I understand the issues with supporting next gen and last gen at the same time. Different architectures require different dev kits, and the work is increased, etc. You're building multiple binaries with drastically different tools and processes. In this case though, The Series S and Series X have identical dev kits and architectures, just different performance levels. Nobody complains when you make a game that runs on PC with a billion possible configurations, and I don't expect that supporting the Series S and Series X will be any more difficult than supporting, for example, the PS4 and PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and Xbox One at the same time.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in the Xbox article today they posted this:

"In speaking to game developers, we identified the areas that are most difficult to scale effectively, including the CPU and I/O, and made it easy to include Xbox Series S for developers who are targeting their experiences for Xbox Series X."

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X Launch November 10, Starting at $24.99 a Month with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play - Xbox Wire

Now more than ever, gaming plays an important role in our lives. As one of the greatest forms of creative expression, gaming sparks in our imagination and connects us to new worlds, stories, and our friends. On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision...
nice

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yes and now they get to do it again for Series S. Another additional platform to support, this time around mandatory.
A console that will undoubtedly outsell the X and lead to even more game sales. Without the S I wouldn't be buying an Xbox, and I assume that is going to be true for many other people. So hopefully the headache it causes is somewhat alleviated by all the extra profits.

guitarNINJA

Dec 30, 2017
The worry is weird. Don't PC devs do this already?
PCs are not expected to have curated settings for highly tuned performance. Some of the onus is on the consumer to dial in the settings how they would like. There is an expectation on consoles of very even performance, and thus the developer must carefully balance the precision of many things. This also presents a performance floor that limits the range on the high end. If a developer has an idea for a fully path traced game at 1080p on XSX where they feel the low resolution would be justified by the rich visuals, they might change their mind if it means they have to run at ~620p on XSS. Somewhat ironically, I would expect the existence of the XSS to mean more native 4k games on XSX, as devs might be dissuaded from ramping up other graphically demanding areas as it might drop the resolution too far on the XSS.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Era writing off a developer's comments cause they know better. lol k.

No one is writing off, but this comment coming from a developer that made poor PS4 and Xbox One versions of Control is iffy.

Having a Series S means just more work, and they are already used to; Remedy released Control on PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X and PC, this wasn't troublesome?

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
On PC we mostly brute force through unoptimized games or go through setting by settings to achieve the fps we want. Sometimes you get games like Doom Eternal run well across the board and then you have Avengers, Control, Horizon as recently that clearly needed a lot more time so yes it's not as simple a task.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else remember the endless vitriolic arguments on this website when I reported last December that Lockhart wasn't canceled and that its existence was worrying some developers? I sure remember lol
Was the worry that it would hold them back or that it was just extra work? I mean, it makes sense for Remedy cause they can't optimize for shit and the extra work load I could see bugging them.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Remedy technical producer... they were probably involved with the worst game I've ever played on PS4 (Control) so I can see lots of trouble for them trying to optimise any game on any system.
Lol yeah I do remember, is it safe to say devs are still worried about Series S or are they more okay now they've got their hands on it and can actually work with it?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Finally a believable take on this.

Especially from a games producer side. Does the existence of XSS increase your audience, or does it shift users away from XSX or PS5 and help Microsoft's bottom line?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
In this case though, The Series S and Series X have identical dev kits and architectures, just different performance levels. Nobody complains when you make a game that runs on PC with a billion possible configurations, and I don't expect that supporting the Series S and Series X will be any more difficult than supporting, for example, the PS4 and PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and Xbox One at the same time.

This is exactly what's happening right here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a matter of holding back development or just being more optimization work? This comment reads like the latter (which is not huge), if it's the former, that's a problem.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I remember, and Digital Foundry said they were hearing the same things as well. Has anything changed?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
But the only difference they need to worry about is resolution.

The Series S can run exactly the same graphics settings as the Series X- just at 1440P instead of 4K from what everyone is saying.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
pepperidge farms Remembers lol. and yeah its natural to worry about it.

The Series S can run exactly the same graphics settings as the Series X- just at 1440P instead of 4K from what everyone is saying.
not true. There are Ram bandwidth differences, slight CPU differences and the GPU all that has to take time to optimize. its not just simply click a button and change resolution.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, not like the *checks notes* One X and One S or the Pro and Base PS4 versions they had to support this gen.

Nope, now it's a problem.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is writing off, but this comment coming from a developer that made poor PS4 and Xbox One versions of Control is iffy.

How is that iffy? They made a technical showstopper on Pc and had trouble running it on consoles, now they're worried about even more, weaker consoles. if anything, this is the exact kind of dev whose opinion matters most.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please tell the Remedy Technical Producer that they are absolutely wrong and that the Series S will not make anything harder for developers and will not hold the Series X back?

/s

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

That's really impossible. The GPUs of the Series X and the Series S are not that similar to just drop a few pixels and have it working. Different CUs, speed, memory, etc. More work has to be done.

Not hard probably, but really, it's not automatic or anything.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't want to play the next Remedy game on a Series S, based on how their last game played on my PS4.

Nov 8, 2017
Remedy is always pushing boundaries so I imagine the series S versions will look like smeared ass. The xbo versions of quantum break and control had low pixel counts and shoddy performance (particularly control, QB at least performed okish)

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Human brings worry about a lot of things. It's basic survival instinct.

It doesn't make you not stupid for being afraid of a daddy long legs in your basement though.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah i would also be worried if i was behind Control, but maybe they could use some of that extra money they want for the next gen patch of Control...

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Sensing some struggle with RT effects porting process from X to S while keeping resolution at acceptable level in upcoming Control patch.... mmm yes indeed

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't Series S/X be easier to work with in this regard than One S/One X? I'm not fully in the loop but from what I hear CPU and storage tech is identical? That leaves the graphical side of things, does MS demand a minimum resolution of 1440p or sth?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a software engineer, but take this with a grain of salt.

Here's the thing, I understand the issues with supporting next gen and last gen at the same time. Different architectures require different dev kits, and the work is increased, etc. You're building multiple binaries with drastically different tools and processes. In this case though, The Series S and Series X have identical dev kits and architectures, just different performance levels. Nobody complains when you make a game that runs on PC with a billion possible configurations, and I don't expect that supporting the Series S and Series X will be any more difficult than supporting, for example, the PS4 and PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and Xbox One at the same time.

The thing is the Series X isn't supposed to be the Xbox One X redux, right? Like there is no mandate from MS that every game has to run on 4K on Series X, is there? What happens if a dev optimizes like crazy for Series X and, in doing so, decides that it's best to not use 4K native resolution but 1440p with upscaling on Series X. The Series S port becomes that much more difficult because you can't just drop the resolution to match the Series X version but now have to make more nuanced decisions.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, but every console and platform has it's own quirks. There's overall optimization you can do to improve performance in general, but each console is going to have it's own headaches. 2 Xbox SKUs == 2 sets of headaches. It also creates a larger set of hurdles to jump for release on the platform as you now either need ONE low-spec version, or two versions, one for each X-Box. A good example of this is that back in ye olden we had an issue where overlapping colliders were a surprisingly expensive issue on PS4, but not on XBox or PC.

It just complicates the picture.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
PCs are not expected to have curated settings for highly tuned performance. Some of the onus is on the consumer to dial in the settings how they would like. There is an expectation on consoles of very even performance, and thus the developer must carefully balance the precision of many things.

Eh, I don't think that this can still be argued in a post Digital Foundry world. Many console games suffer from inconsistent or outright bad performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.