• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be a thing most people on here actually went to because there was only one that ever offically opened in its full state in Chicago. It only was there for 2 years from 1999 to 2001...weirdly closing literally exactly a week before 9/11. We actually went there I think twice, one time being for my birthday when I was a kid. It was really really cool without being able to explain if you never went in. You went into a 4dish type elevator thing first with Genie from Aladdin talking and getting you ready.

Going to actual main area had pure disney stuff everywhere. There was a full Aladdin ride, like with water splashing and other stuff. There was a toy story section where you could could go on these computers and customize your own Sid kind of fusion toy. There was a crazy neon lightsaber part. Tons of other stuff. This is a good video on its background.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
We had it in Orlando till like 2 years ago, the place was awesome for a while but they never updated it, it was such a cool place but they let it just age and die instead of constantly updating the software and machines

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I went to the Chicago one for my 10th birthday. I absolutely loved it at the time, but I can only remember the elevator and some room scale pirate game where you fired cannons.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I went to the one in Chicago when I was a kid. It's where I played Ehrgeiz for the first time :D

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Went to one as a kid, was something I loved being a video game obsessed 10 year old, but in retrospect kinda see why this failed. My parents could have cared less, it was basically a less tacky more expensive Chuck E Cheese from their perspective.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Went something like a year or two before it closed.

I mainly remember playing that ancient Aladdin VR game and getting stuck on the build your own roller coaster thing.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
I was a few years too young for arcade culture, so going to the one in Orlando in the early 2000's was my first and only arcade-esque experience. Holy shit was it magical.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Orlando one was a good time, but it aged like fine milk.

Still, Hyperspace Mountain was always a good laugh.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went to the Chicago one back when I was ten. Wow that video takes me back

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember going to the Orlando one when it was brand new and being absolutely awestruck. I didn't want to go back to the parks in later days, Disney Quest was that good.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I went around the time it opened and then again a couple years before it closed. Was such a surreal experience the difference 13 or so years makes. When I went the first time you couldn't do everything, but when I went back years later your ticket let you access everything. I remembered there were so many awesome video games in the arcade and when I went back there were very few that were operational, they were quite dated, and console graphics had finally surpassed them.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I had never heard of it until this video, can't say much other than Michael Eisner's fumbling business ventures are certaintly funny in retrospect:

The whole channel is also fantastic, BTW.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
what do you mean there was only 1? Orlando had it for over a decade.

good stuff - loved the retro arcade.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to mention the defunctland video, it is great.

I miss it also. It was better than the NBA experience I'm sure (haven't done it yet/don't plan on it.)

Edit: I've only been to the one at The old Downtown Disney. Really interesting that you are referring to Chicago's OP

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it, having been to the Orlando one several times, and somewhere I've still got a T-shirt and payment card from the first year.

I always thought that Virtual Jungle Cruise demonstrated a game design that I'd love to have seen applied to something like Wii MotionPlus:

jFAH0DX.png

Also was very much fascinated by the CAVE technology that was used in a Hercules-themed game which evolved into a (very impressive) Pirates of the Carribean-themed game, in a room surrounded by 3D screens. I've not been in recent years, so I've not seen the ride first hand, but when I read about Smuggler's Run it sounds like a natural progression of that technology.

As someone who liked both theme parks *and* computer games, it was a really interesting look into just how the two concepts could be merged, and a great insight into (then) bleeding-edge technology.. In hindsight it could never have lasted - as early as my second visit I got huge warning signs from the fact that they'd radically overhauled the payment scheme into a pay-once format (which made sense for it more than the original scheme, I think, but clearly shows it wasn't viewed as good VFM originally)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As a self-proclaimed theme park aficionado and enthusiast, Disney Quest is one of my favorite oddities from a time where Disney actually needed to take Hail Mary risks to stay on top of the public's mindshare.

Quite honestly, I think they'd hit it big if they ever revisited this idea but given the absolute dominance that Disney has over every single brand of entertainment, they have no reason to potentially risk hundreds of millions of dollars on another experiment like this.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note, Bright Sun Films and Jake are fantastic and he has a bunch of other good videos on things that closed up that are Disney related.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never went there, but I did go to the NBA experience. Bottom line is that you only gonna really enjoy it if you're an NBA fan, and even then the offerings are pretty weak for the asking price. Seems like poor execution with plenty of room for improvement. With the history of Disney Quest, however, I don't see that being likely.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I never went there, but I did go to the NBA experience. Bottom line is that you only gonna really enjoy it if you're an NBA fan, and even then the offerings are pretty weak for the asking price. Seems like poor execution with plenty of room for improvement. With the history of Disney Quest, however, I don't see that being likely.
Need to ask, did you pay the asking price or get in on one of the promotional deals?

I can't believe they launched with a $35 entry fee. It seemed like a hard sell at that price even as a big NBA fan.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I went during one of its last years and it was a little sad. It was free with our package and my partner had fond memories about it, so we decided to go. It had a great selection of arcade machines, but the Disney Quest specific attractions were incredibly dated or just not working. Some of them made me motion sick within moments and others just felt like poor motion simulators.

Still, I imagine it was really impressive when it opened. I would have much rather had them update it rather than tear it down. It did remind me of some of the indoor parks you see in Japan (such as Joypolis), but definitely didn't see the attention that some of those places do.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of it until this video, can't say much other than Michael Eisner's fumbling business ventures are certaintly funny in retrospect:

The whole channel is also fantastic, BTW.

Came here to post this, I love Defunctland.

I remember going to the Disney Quest in DisneyWorld in the mid 00's.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Need to ask, did you pay the asking price or get in on one of the promotional deals?

I can't believe they launched with a $35 entry fee. It seemed like a hard sell at that price even as a big NBA fan.
Na I paid full admission (which it's definitely not worth). I was there and I'm too much of an NBA geek not to be morbidly curious. I don't regret checking it out and did enjoy some of the stuff there, but it's hard to recommend it to anyone.

Edit: I'll provide some more scoop. I went there last September and it was pretty dead inside. Can't say there were more than 20 other visitors inside. Probably the best part for me was I ended up talking hoops with one of the cast members for like a half hour. They were clearly doing their best with what they had.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a behind the scenes video on Disney Channel showing off the Aladdin VR thing and young me really really wanted to play that.

The Defunctland video linked is pretty good.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I always remember my best friend who passed away a few year ago when I think of Disney Quest.

We went so many times for my birthday or my sisters or his birthday with our friends. Countless fond memories running around in there for hours.

Last edited:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be a thing most people on here actually went to because there was only one that ever offically opened in its full state in Chicago.
There was one in Orlando that was open up until a few years ago.

I remember going back in the early 00's as part of an end-of-year trip for band class and really enjoying it. The VR stuff they had was really cool, but for some reason I didn't get around to trying that "Ride the Comics" type game that they had. I kept meaning to make one last trip back there when they said they would be shutting down, but never got around to it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney Quest was always my last-day outing at WDW before travelling to the airport.

But at least we've now got mediocre food and extortionate lane fees at Splitsville, in its place.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One of my earlier dates with my now-wife was to the Orlando DQ. That was an incredible day across the 5 or 6 floors of games they had. It was so sad to hear that they just shut it down. Now it's a sportsbar themed restaurant.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I loved Disney Quest! Crazy timing considering I was just talking about it today on one of my streams this morning.

The huge Might Ducks hockey/pinball game was the shit, as was the Buzz's Astro Blasters bumper car thing. And the Jungle Cruise! I even remember the multiplayer Hercules game and the PotC attaction it turned into. Aww good memories

It's really too bad they've turned Downtown Disney/Springs into a glorified mall. I was excited to visit Pleasure Island...then they closed it down :(

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea there was any others outside the one that used to be in Orlando/Downtown Disney.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I went to the Orlando one in 2000 and it was amazing, possibly better than the theme parks themselves. Spent the whole day there with my brother and cousins and had so much fun with the rides and arcade games. When I went the arcade games were unlimited free play, which was mindblowing and helped me beat some games I always wanted to beat.

The highlight for me was the build-your-own-coaster ride. You better believe I put in as many loops as possible.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Na I paid full admission (which it's definitely not worth). I was there and I'm too much of an NBA geek not to be morbidly curious. I don't regret checking it out and did enjoy some of the stuff there, but it's hard to recommend it to anyone.

Edit: I'll provide some more scoop. I went there last September and it was pretty dead inside. Can't say there were more than 20 other visitors inside. Probably the best part for me was I ended up talking hoops with one of the cast members for like a half hour. They were clearly doing their best with what they had.
Thanks for the follow up! I'll be curious to see how they plan to update it/plan for the re-opening.

I have a feeling it was/is Bob Iger's pet project foreshadowing some future NBA ownership goals