• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Word has it that Metal Gear Solid might be getting a big AAA upgrade that leaves its story and feel as it was, but it's just pushing the envelope of graphics and sound like Demon's Souls is.

Interesting. I wonder what they'd "do" to it, as it isn't exactly a long game. Whether they're try and make it more free roamy on the island rather than the room by room of the original.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think Deus Ex is a great shout OP...that game was such a big deal...I'm thinking that perhaps Cyberpunk 2077 will kind of be a Deus Ex of it's time though...and it's nearly here!

May 10, 2019
220px-Maxpaynebox.jpg

The_Getaway_PS2.jpg

2972479-box_rtbc.png

WingCommanderBox-front.jpg

*Not Squadron 42 but a remake of the original.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Is love a full remake of Blood Omen 1, with the same gameplay in a modern engine.

I'd settle for hd collections of some of the classic Rpg series like Xenosaga and Shadow Hearts.

also remakes of Ssx and ssx tricky.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Twin Snakes is the only remake I can think of that fans almost universally shun. Are there any others like this?
Final Fantasy III is one. A lot of it was because it was most people's first time with FFIII (the remake in general had some new features but also some things were worse about it) and it failed to live up to FF5 or FFT as far as a job system game in a lot of eyes.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If I had my pick?

Rayman_2.jpg

It was lauded as one of the best 3D platformers of the late fifth/early sixth generation and while it's received tons of bad-to-average ports over the years it's never really gotten the proper TLC it deserves.

Rayman 3 was mediocre and while Origins/Legends are fine, I miss Rayman in 3D.

This would be mine too - real remakes of Nintendo N64 games put aside.

OP
OP
Asbsand

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Interesting. I wonder what they'd "do" to it, as it isn't exactly a long game. Whether they're try and make it more free roamy on the island rather than the room by room of the original.
I mean, don't take it from me. I just saw a thread here a while a go about some such rumor, and people have speculated that it was just someone mistaking the GOG release. (Wait MGS was released on GOG??) either way, don't count on it. Just think of it as a "would be nice to have" idea.

I'm just interested in what YOUR ideas are for games you think should have remakes.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Do they? I thought it was only the resetera bubble. I love that game!
It is very divisive among Metal Gear fans, of which there are a lot here. There is a reason it has never been remastered or rereleased alongside the rest of the Metal Gear series. There is a distinction to make though that it is not a bad video game. As a video game it's fine. There are complaints to be made about adding first person aiming to a game designed without it (it doesn't bother me personally) but Metal Gear Solid is a major historically important game that people hold in extremely high regard and with great respect. The stylistic decisions made in Twin Snakes alienate a lot of people who love the original. It is not how many people prefer to think of MGS1.

I do think that 1) It has become sort of canonical that Twin Snakes is bad and therefore people write it off whether they've played it or not and 2) How bad it is can often be exaggerated. Like I said earlier, it's really a matter of taste. But in this case there are a lot of people whose taste is at odds with its flavor.

Twin Snakes is pretty difficult to play in 2020. It does feel like a game that was left behind.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It is quite frankly gross negligence that we haven't had a remaster, reboot or re-imagining of KOTOR at this point. Especially considering the EU keeps hinting at their existence.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I will always want Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve remade. After FF7 that is the game I want remade the most.

Also, if any Metal Gear game is gonna get remade, why not the original non Solid one. Remake Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think it would make a lot of sense to get a Motorstorm collection in the vein of the Wipeout Omega Collection...

If you included Motorstorm, Pacific Rift, Apocalypse and Artifc Edge, you'd have the most packed arcade racer ever released, I think. A total of 84 tracks or something like that, and a killer soundtrack too! I'd be in love.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
My short list
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
  • Warhawk
  • Motorstorm and Motorstorm: PR
  • MGS 4
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • Jedi Knight series
  • Transformers War for and Fall of Cybertron
  • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed (remaster would be fine)
  • The Simpsons: Hit and Run
  • Onimusha
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Star Tropics

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I would love it if they could take the existing dialogue from the Soul Reaver games and re-do them.
I don't want Squeeenix touching Blood Omen for anything but an HD remaster; that game is too quirky to survive a modern remake without losing like half its charm- any 3D remake would get rid of like half the items, a quarter of the spells, (and associated dungeons), as well as probably at least 1 (probably 2) forms, and most of the secret areas.

But Soul Reaver 2's amazing linear story and puzzles with actual good, less repetitive combat sections would be fire

Soul Reaver 1..... ionno, better controls and a graphical overhaul would be nice; but trying to get away from the monotony of constant block puzzles, and making the combat more traditional instead of the tedious "stun the vampire, then throw them somewhere to impale/burn/melt them before they recover; then make sure to absorb their soul, before it can re-enter the body and revive them; (oh, and also do it to 2 or 3 enemies at once chop-chop)" would make it make it just a run of the mill action game. Soul Reaver's story in a vacuum isn't that special, the game worked so well largely as a contrast between story and atmosphere, and exploration on one side, and the clunky combat and traversal on the other.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Persona 1 - but be careful with it, do not make it into Persona 3/4/5. Lower number of damage types, lower encounter rate, new visuals (obviously). Keep first person dungeon crawling.

Persona 3 - There is no ideal version of it and there's two "good" versions of the game, but both have a significant downside.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - I'm referring to this game, that was never released in English, not Raidou 1.
Devsum.jpg

Fire Emblem 4 & 5

I don't know if we're counting HD ports/enhancements under the "remake" category too, but I'd like to see these under that:

Persona 2 duology - Add full voice acting, make other QoL changes such as not having to switch Personas first to use a spell outside of combat, an instant Analyze button where you don't have to back all the way out to the first menu in combat. I'd arguably file this under the remake category because as a bonus I'd like to see the Tarot card system scrapped and turned into recruiting demons to fuse into Personas.

Shin Megami Tensei I, II, and if... - Pretty obvious reasons, the main one being they were never officially released in English other than SMT1 on iOS...and it doesn't even work with modern versions of iOS.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Pretty much the sole reason why, or at the very least just re-release the original game as-is.
8mVCcTi.png

Good post. I'd settle for all these as well as Chrono/Xenogears in the new DQ engine. Oh and Pokemon Gold and Silver as fully fledged 3D open world games. I don't ask for much lol