• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The character on the screen isn't me. It's a character on the screen. 'S not as complicated as you're making it.

OP
OP
P-Tux7

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
The bible also says Thou shall not kill. If you interpret having fun in a game where a fiction character prayers to another god as celebrating that fictional god, then that must also mean that if you enjoy a game where you kill someone, then that means you celebrating kill others in violation of God's commandments. Right OP?
Is he watching you have fun killing things in games where there's killing too? Wouldn't that be... I don't know... more of a problem for pretty much every religion?
Honestly, both of you are right and I didn't really think about that. I'm not quite sure about my religious beliefs so please don't take it as me trying to get religious people to quit gaming or using this forum. I was just curious how they managed to make it work within their belief system, and I didn't want to make any assumptions about it so that's why I asked.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh I've never felt it was a concern. That said, if someone else feels it's harmful, then I'm not going to question their faith or say its silly that they feel that way. For example, when my mother was newer to Christianity, she got kinda strict on some things, especially anime. I remember being really big into YuGiOh and Cardcaptors at the time and got super upset about it. We had a talk about fiction and our beliefs. Which basically boiled down to not banning anything, but if you feel it honestly bothers you then examine why and go from there.

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
please tell me you mean yu gi oh AND cardcaptors as opposed to yugioh cardcaptors being a single proper noun because if you did mean that as a single franchise then you are officially an old person

Dang it, yeah I meant to separate those. Pls no the 90's and early 2000's weren't that long ago. Riight?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its only a game. It doesn't bother me one bit, and I am Catholic and former CCD teacher.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm attracted to the idea of goddesses, like Nayru in Zelda, Reah and Feena in Ys, and the Goddess of the Dragon Quest games. But of course they're just video games.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
As a Hindu from India, it doesn't bother me honestly. But that could be due to the fact that very games actually tackle my religion or its themes in any way

ehagans

Nov 3, 2017
I draw the line at anything that's outright sacrilegious or blasphemous.

Something like Zelda where Link and the Hylians pray to the goddess doesn't bother me because I consider it to be fiction. It's just a part of what the characters do in that world.

As a Protestant Christian I probably would avoid a game where the main character prays to or worships the god of one of the other major world religions. But I can't think of any games where any of the main characters practice any of the major world religions, including Christianity.

As a side note, I always stay away from anything that has outright satanic, demonic, occult, witchcraft, and other dark supernatural type themes. Yes this includes games like the Witcher, Dark Soul's, DMC, etc...

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm not religious at all. But you know you're not actually doing the thing the character is doing right? Just like you're not actually killing people in war games

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, this topic is inspired by not only Nintendo's former ban on religion in games but also the years I went to a Christian private school.
So a lot of Christians I've seen or even talked to have mentioned liking games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild. That game, and this is hardly spoilers, lets you pray to Hylia in order to get upgrades (more HP/stamina). I've always been confused about that, though. A lot of monotheistic religions have rules such as "Thou shalt have no other God before me"; how does this gel up with praying to them in games? I've heard explanations along the lines of "God knows that I don't worship them", but if you're having fun playing the games, isn't that sort of a celebration of it? Not to mention that God is ALWAYS watching you, even when you're playing a video game.
I mean I understand reading books with deities in them is one thing, but what do you religious users think about games where you as the player actively engage in plots like that?

Please note that I'm sincerely asking this question and would love to hear opinions about it; please don't make a reply along the lines of "WHY WOULD ONE FICTIONAL CHARACTER GET MAD THAT I'M PRAYING TO ANOTHER ONE LMAO". The idea of a sovereign God is important to a lot of people's lives and I feel that a question about how that applies to imagination and game-playing has merit. A lot of people don't bring up their religion in gaming-related circles, but I'd like this thread to shed some light on what the religious users here think without any judgment.
It's the character the one praying, not you. No problem at all.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Not religious but my mother (a fire and brimstone Pentecostal woman) was deeply offended by Ocarina of Time's three goddesses when she saw them. She didn't like Pokémon because they were healed with "potions." Sometimes I think she was being dramatic for effect but the woman isn't really that clever.

She also didn't like me watching Power Rangers because they didn't "praise god" when they beat Rita or Zedd.

Pun intended but it's a miracle I ended up as normal as I am.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
With all due respect, you're in for a pretty shit life if every time you have "fun" you feel some kind of guilt for worshipping a false Idol. Seriously if fun is a "celebration" of something ungodly (your own words) then do you feel the same guilt when you enjoy music written by someone who worships another God, or who believes Allah has gifted them with the talent to make delicious bread that you're celebrating when you enjoy it?

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
These are fictional worlds and you will find them in games, books, films, etc. I know some people (not the OP) can be upset about that, but those people always seem to try hard to be upset about something.

I think Cooking Mama is sacrilicious.

I hear she doesn't even say grace.

Last edited:

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
A game is a game. I don't murder people steal or do anything crazy like I do in video games. Praying to a video game god wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Honestly, both of you are right and I didn't really think about that. I'm not quite sure about my religious beliefs so please don't take it as me trying to get religious people to quit gaming or using this forum. I was just curious how they managed to make it work within their belief system, and I didn't want to make any assumptions about it so that's why I asked.

I'm an atheist so, perhaps, I'm the wrong person to answer this but I would assume that God, if she exists, would be more concerned how good of a person you are than if you're following rules from some scripture. There are so many moral dilemmas and challenges in life to be concerned about your digital character worshiping a digital deity, I'm pretty sure that would be that last thing God cares about. Just try to be a good human as best as you can - it should be enough.

Mar 18, 2018
but if you're having fun playing the games, isn't that sort of a celebration of it? .
Honest question, OP.

Do you play games where you kill people/animals, steal, damage stuff, swear set things on fire, etc?

Because games are really just this: games. And you should be perfectly able to distinguish real life from virtual entertainment.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
'god isn't real and neither are videogames' is what I tell myself to soothe my emotions when I have to consider the existence of fallout 76 and/or the last few paper mario titles

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, sorry if this may sound blunt, but when you spend most games mowing down living beings, I don't think praying to a made up deity should be at the top of the list of concerns.

I mean, if you're going to question this kind of action in games, you might as well start to question a lot of other ones as well. And if, in the end, it all comes down to "it's all fictional, so there's no harm", then I guess the same applies to the subject at hand.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's not like, falling apart at the seams or able to deliver on what it promises, but there's a distinct lack of character and so it's frustrating they'll make the redundant and unnecessary paper mario games and not a single f-zero game since GX

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just games. Like sometimes when I pick the evil side, which may or may not be killing innocent people(in game duh), for the hell of it. Doesn't bother me at all.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Honest question, OP.

Do you play games where you kill people/animals, steal, damage stuff, swear set things on fire, etc?

Because games are really just this: games. And you should be perfectly able to distinguish real life from virtual entertainment.
Well it depends on the situation i think, so lets say in mass effect im chosing to let an entire species die its basicly ok but not the character chose their fate i do, in a game sure but i couldve saved them too.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm a Christian and I think faith is a beautiful thing as long as it's sincere (as opposed to an excuse to hate other cultures). I don't care if the characters religion is the same as mine (and I don't expect it to be with so many fantasy games around).

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not anywhere near what OP asked, but sure, it'd still be a game.

It is the same argument to me. If you can enjoy killing a greek god, you should have no trouble also praying to one or doing any other religious interactions.
But if you can't do the same towards your own religion, you might have to think about that one.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
As a devout Muslim, it's just a game, what matters is the intent not the action itself, and it's not you worshiping a false deity but your game avatar.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
As a Christian I'd rather not deal with it, but I generally just pass it off as a fictional interaction, just like killing or stealing.