• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Hostility toward another member
Achievements have been "next up" on their list since Spring 2019. Epic barely devotes any resources to their store, and features are rolled out at a glacial place. It really should not have taken as long as it did for some of the features on that store.

You know what, I was willing to accept this info, there was quite a bit of delays with their roadmap.

Then, as I was closing tabs, I found the EGS board was still there when I looked it up for the previous post. So I looked...

QR4g7T0.png

Why the fuck are you lying. Make your arguments and opinions, but stop the misinformation.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
You know what, I was willing to accept this info, there was quite a bit of delays with their roadmap.

Then, as I was closing tabs, I found the EGS board was still there when I looked it up for the previous post. So I looked...

QR4g7T0.png

Why the fuck are you lying. Make your arguments and opinions, but stop the misinformation.
The larger point was that they should have had it at launch but they didn't because it's three people stuffed in a broom closet with a budget of all the pennies they found between the sofa cushions in the break rooms. Epic doesn't care about this thing and it shows. You said there are new features all the time, which I'm going to disagree with there because it looks to have been six months since "price sorting" which I guess is a feature. No, fixing details on store pages is not a feature.

Sorry the thing that should have been there five (sorry almost six, you seem to care a lot about dates) years ago was mistakenly said to have been up next two years ago instead of one. And now has seven months of 'nearing completion'.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There is a wishlist.
EGS is getting new features all the time, next one being Achievements.
It will never grow into Steam: Linux, Music Player, Reddit aren't part of the Epic's plan.
Gifting is the core feature that is lacking.

Why are people, who never buy anything in the first place, are so fixated on that shopping cart? Do you also ramble about App or Play store? It is two clicks to buy anything...
A lack of a shopping cart makes it a nuisance to even collect the free games.

Yes, I do ramble about the Play Store. The difference between EGS, and the Apple/Google Stores is that both Apple and Google still provide core functionality that people find useful even though they stupidly lack carts. EGS lacks those core functionalities and stupidly lacks a cart.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

QR4g7T0.png

Lmao even if the date was off its still been "Up Next" for 15 months. My point still stands.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lack of a shopping cart makes it a nuisance to even collect the free games.
The most interesting part about the shopping cart is that the EGS has actually one: it is just manually disabled.

I don't think there's any technical aspect to the question why it is disabled because the exact same shopping cart is working in the UnrealEngine store.
It's more likeley that it is disabled for marketing or psychological reasons like ... stopping people from having buyers remorse if you show them the price of 5 single purchases instead of one bigger sum for a combined purchase. Customers rather spend 5 x $30 instead of 1 x $150.

Edit: maybe there really are technical issues regarding the shopping cart as posted below

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting part about the shopping cart is that the EGS has actually one: it is just manually disabled.

I don't think there's any technical aspect to the question why it is disabled because the exact same shopping cart is working in the UnrealEngine store.
It's more likeley that it is disabled for marketing or psychological reasons like ... stopping people from having buyers remorse if you show them the price of 5 single purchases instead of one bigger sum for a combined purchase. Customers rather spend 5 x $30 instead of 1 x $150.

Edit: maybe there really are technical issues regarding the shopping cart as posted below
I think the working theory is that the coupon thing is held together by rubber bands so enabling it will just break everything.
That just makes it worse!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I think the working theory is that the coupon thing is held together by rubber bands so enabling it will just break everything.
Completely speechless. Tim Epic with all the money he gets from Fortnite and Unreal royalties can't even develop a proper store.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I got pissed about a Epic store PC release was for Shenmue 3. I specifically backed for the physical PC disc, but that got changed once it became an Epic store exclusive.

Those of us who backed that specific tier got screwed out of an extra $30 compared to the digital options. The solution was giving us the epic launch on a disc and the wait for the game download.
Like, jesus fuck that was scummy by everyone who signed off on that deal.

Besides that bullshit, I don't really have many issues with Epic PC releases other than the store still being woefully underdeveloped for years now.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
If you refuse to listen to any arguments for months and keep throwing in your "lol it's just a launcher / icon!" posts to derail threads then you're clearly trolling.
I listen . I said I still don't understand . I dont care what you do I just don't get it . That's fine, we don't have to be on the same page . I'm not trolling, enjoy gaming however you want.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't see any way else for a storefront on PC to compete with Steam. MS is behind Sony so they are opening their wallet so to speak. It's business. People don't have to like it, of course, but I don't see another way for Epic to make any headway.
Personally i think there are several ways to compete. For example:
  1. allow selling library games. Basically introducing the used market to the digital space. IMO this feature would heavily push costumers to buy on your store VS steam. Because digital games don't breakdown, there can be rules limiting this feature, for example a license can only be sold 2-3 times. ALso the used sale price should give part of that to the devs.
  2. More tools and more ways to monetize the games. I'd imagine If a store had better monitization policies devs would be willing to add it to the platform, even if their size isn't as big as steam
  3. Play your games on cloud for free. For example any game you bough you get a Stadia/GeforceNow type of service for free. IMO this would heavily benefit AAA games where people usually won't have powerful enough desktops to run them well
  4. Having a steam controller but for accessories like wheels and flight sticks. There is a very active, although small, costumer base that really sinks their teeth in on simulator games. Right now, IMO, it is a mess to get the flight stick and wheel customizable. Having a template like the steam controller would make it super easy barely an inconvenience to set up these accessories.
  5. Loaning games could also be an interesting market to tackle, specially for small SP games.

However i'm sure engeneers can come with more important features that can push the market forward. The problem is that using new features only works until your competition catches up. THe thing is that steam evolves super fast. Origin adds refunds, steam in a few months offers a better version of the feature.

If EGS truly competed with steam at a feature level, both costumers and Devs could get much mroe value for their money. The particularity of the situation is that EGS knows steam doesn't take blows and that it will adapt quickly to any inovative change EGS does. Because of this EGS choose a feature where steam can't compete -> exclusives.
EGS has used millions of $ buying exclusivities but can't afford to pay an engineer to add a shopping basket for more than 2 years.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I listen . I said I still don't understand . I dont care what you do I just don't get it . That's fine, we don't have to be on the same page . I'm not trolling, enjoy gaming however you want.

translation 'I don't care or want to read or understand the arguments of others'

people have given you concrete arguments and reasonings and you still cling to 'I don't understand lolz'

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Man makes me so sad they sent out KH PC to die like that.. could have added such a massive fanbase on PC. But yeah just didnt would have sold gangbusters too. Sad times.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
User Banned (3 Days) - Continued Trolling in thread
translation 'I don't care or want to read or understand the arguments of others'

people have given you concrete arguments and reasonings and you still cling to 'I don't understand lolz'
Translation - I think yall being petty . Why does what I think even matter to you ?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really does. The game has to be something I simply can't/don't want to miss for me to think about getting it on the Epic store.

So far that's been:
Borderlands 3 (huge fan of the series)
Kena (coming soon)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Word of mouth for EGS launch exclusives is noticeably weaker. Compare the Persona 4 Golden launch to the KH series drop on EGS.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
It really doesn't kill any hype for me.

Obviously Steam is the launcher were I get my games by default, but there are so many launchers these days....

EGS, Battle.net, Ubisoft, EA Play, GoG, etc. I just compare EGS to those launchers but with a bigger gamebase. I even prefer getting stuff on Gamepass because I can launch games without a freaking launcher lol

Having to chose between Steam and EGS? Well, duh lol

But a game is a game and ultimately all I want is to be able to play games.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One positive side to the situation (from a certain point of view) is that the Steam launch can, if handled properly, serve as a second launch. Hades was great when it came to Steam; it had most of its functionality implemented and came with a 20% discount and a free copy of Pyre!

And these days the "better by the time it hits Steam" argument doesn't just apply to Early Access titles...

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Steam sales were better before because the pricing was way more aggressive. You had new games at 75% off frequently. Now you are lucky for the popular games to be on sale at all or with a 25% discount only. Maybe those prices before were too good to be true but there has definitely been a reduction in how many of the marquee games go on sale for big discounts.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Steam sales were better before because the pricing was way more aggressive. You had new games at 75% off frequently. Now you are lucky for the popular games to be on sale at all or with a 25% discount only. Maybe those prices before were too good to be true but there has definitely been a reduction in how many of the marquee games go on sale for big discounts.

Primarily its a market issue, since Valve never set the prices and at the time, it was a perfect storm for all users and the pubs/devs. As Steam has become some core to PC gaming with an exponentially larger audience, and Steam has enabled so many more way to have promotional sales, even though customers have tended to lean towards spending more during the summer sales, prices set by devs/pubs are simply not as low as they used to be.
Meanwhile its also great to check price history, as it becomes clear during pub/dev specific sales or sales closer to major updates for the respective games, you can get better prices on Steam than Summer Sale.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Because they think they're right and your wrong. Simple as that. They think because they gave "well reasoned" arguments that you're not allowed to give your 1 or 2 cents.
Making fun of people for whom those issues matter and saying that they all just "bent out of shape" and don't understand how lucky they are is not "giving a 1 or 2 cents", especially if it's done continuously over multiple threads. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, but this is trolling and arguing in bad faith to derail the discussion.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Man alot of ignorant people sure do love coming into Epic threads with "lol idk just a launcher who cares" and getting banned because they don't care to educate themselves on the topic, or purposely muddy the waters while being hostile because they just wanna stir up shit.

You would think after the many threads we have had with multiple bans, that some would wise up.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because they think they're right and your wrong. Simple as that. They think because they gave "well reasoned" arguments that you're not allowed to give your 1 or 2 cents.
Handwaving issues and being a weird smug dick about it like you've personally been banned for doing less than a month ago isn't "giving your 1 or 2 cents"

Just because you think peoples isuses are "stupid and don't matter" doesn't mean they are.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Handwaving issues and being a weird smug dick about it like you've personally been banned for doing less than a month ago isn't "giving your 1 or 2 cents"

Just because you think peoples isuses are "stupid and don't matter" doesn't mean they are.

Oh, it's not that it's stupid and don't matter.
It'd basically bad faith arguing.

You can not care about achievements. You can not care about your library not being in the same place.

You may not care about sharing your games, remote play together, steam input and such. Fair game.

Now, when you tell me "why should you care about higher prices, except for some lucky ones, and split servers because of their launcher shenanigans, which means people on PC cant play together depending on where they buy their game, unless "crossplay" is added", well, I tell you, you're a fucking troll and can gtfo.

Let's be honest, people saying "it's just a launcher" "you don't have to pay for a console" are just petty people who actually enjoy the situation.

I'm tired to pretend there's no obvious platform warring on Era when you have people coming to tell you "it's fine, why do you complain" when they have no stakes in this and don't even play on the platform in question.

Heck, there are glaring exemple of people saying before "well, I'm glad it happens, because you had it too good on PC" or people wishing a game is EGSclusive if it's not exclusive anymore on PlayStation, as a "payback".

There are some issues that are up to the person. But there are factual, universal issues, by design.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only games I've bought from Epic are ones that are not likely to ever come to Steam like the Tony Hawk 1&2 remake and Hitman 3… The KH games though? Yeah I'm not touching the Epic version either, I'm also waiting for the real release. I am super reluctant to spend any money whatsoever in the EGS.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Man alot of ignorant people sure do love coming into Epic threads with "lol idk just a launcher who cares" and getting banned because they don't care to educate themselves on the topic, or purposely muddy the waters while being hostile because they just wanna stir up shit.

You would think after the many threads we have had with multiple bans, that some would wise up.
I mean, a large portion of Era's PC community left partially due to the toxic EGS discourse that was allowed.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Epic, I've felt that games like Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon weren't really on PC before the got to Steam. Technically they were of course, but in terms of mind share and impact it's really all about Steam.

Not every games needs it though. Escape From Tarkov, League, Blizzard stuff, they do fine without it.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Epic, I've felt that games like Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon weren't really on PC before the got to Steam. Technically they were of course, but in terms of mind share and impact it's really all about Steam.

Not every games needs it though. Escape From Tarkov, League, Blizzard stuff, they do fine without it.
To be fair they are first-party games that were never expected to come to Steam (and going forward MS is releasing its games on there alongside its own platforms.) The equivalent would be Epic bringing Fortnite to Steam which isn't happening any time soon.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

There are plenty of major PC games that aren't on Steam. It's just that the Windows Store is so terrible that people forget it even exists unless people are complaining about it.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't kill hype for me, its just another installer, if I want to buy a release I'm excited for and its only on the EGS, I'll just buy it on the EGS and get on with my life.

Jul 7, 2021
There are plenty of major PC games that aren't on Steam. It's just that the Windows Store is so terrible that people forget it even exists unless people are complaining about it.

Yeah I was just on the gamepass thread a week ago detailing my experience. Ended up buying two copies of sea if thieves and control on Steam over the much cheaper gamepass because of the issues I kept running into.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I don't really play games on PC or follow PC games that closely

why does everyone hate EGS? Isn't it just steam with a different name? Are the games more expensive or something?

Edit: nevermind I'm not allowed to ask this I guess
You probably had this answered already but I'm sorry you got pounced on! This question is often asked in bad faith, it's super not on you. Anyway, the PC is generally considered an open platform, lots of devs put their games everywhere: steam, GoG, etc. EGS has come in and aggressively tried to gain market share not by adding more features for consumers or anything people want but by paying publishers to explicitly not put their games on steam. EGS lacks multiple features steam has - modding for instance. People get really heated about this topic. It's nuanced, I think. Exclusivity for indie devs is great and I'm happy for them keeping the lights on, it isn't their fault Tim Sweeney is a hypocritical charlatan (he's the CEO of Epic and is currently suing Apple and Google over their stores not being open lmao). On the other hand, it sucks that they're taking a historically open platform and asking customers to tolerate a worse experience to play the games they want because if they didn't buy exclusives, they couldn't compete.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Windows Store is even worse than EGS. Like, EGS sucks, but at least you don't have to start downloading from zero if something bad happens, or have to figure out how to uninstall a game. At least Microsoft was smart enough to put their games in Steam.

Last edited:

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
My only real problem with EGS is it takes games that work great with linux out of the box on steam and makes you need to go back to the bad old days of manually configuring wine prefixes. Its actively hostile to linux gaming in general. Just a huge net negative on on all the work Steam is done (which is of course open source -- EGS could just steal proton if they wanted! I'd be fine with it)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Windows Store is even worse than EGS. Like, EGS sucks, but at least you don't have to start downloading from zero if something bad happens, or have to figure out how to uninstall a game. At least Microsoft was smart enough to put their games in Steam.

Windows Store being terrible is just another reason to ignore something entirely. I gave up on it a iteratively but now just use an Xbox for all of that. It's dead to me.

Also: I remember when "it's just another installer/launcher" would land you a ban.

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I can honestly say I had 100% forgotten that Kingdom Hearts is available on PC until I saw this thread.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
My only real problem with EGS is it takes games that work great with linux out of the box on steam and makes you need to go back to the bad old days of manually configuring wine prefixes. Its actively hostile to linux gaming in general. Just a huge net negative on on all the work Steam is done (which is of course open source -- EGS could just steal proton if they wanted! I'd be fine with it)

A lot of people have a steam feature or two that they would miss too much. Makes it a deal breaker. My top one is proton. I'm not going to bother going back to messing with wine configuration when proton exists.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Since most people are tired of constant outrage that folloowed the early moneyhat announcements, now PC gamers have chosen to fight EGS with indifference. Except for the coupon-fuelled savings, when you can buy Uplay titles that don't actually require EGS for dirt-cheap. Along with some other games, I guess.

Epic doesn't have the playerbase that's interested in as wide variety of games as Steam and GOG do. Let's be honest, bulk of their userbase are Fortnite and Rocket League players. And the storefront doesn't really try to showcase new games to players, the way Steam and especially GOG does (the latter usually has a separate news items for every new release). The lack of effort on Epic's part, combined with its (relatively) small user base is what dampens the hype surrounding EGS releases more than anything.

But yeah, in the case of Kingdom Hearts, I'm sure Squeeenix' insane pricing choices didn't help. I'm waiting for the games to release on Steam, so that I can grab a decent discount on the early games collection from GMG a few months' after that release.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I get exactly what you're saying, OP. If a game is a timed exclusive on EGS, it doesn't even exist to me until it is freed from that cage. There are too many games both in my backlog and in the market for me to get excited for an EGS exclusive. I'll just grab it a year later or whenever it is allowed to exist outside of EGS exclusivity bubble.