• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I still haven't bought a game on EGS but I have claimed a lot of free games.

If there were an exclusive I really, really wanted is probably finally pull the trigger but hasn't happened yet.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Yeah its kinda crazy to think about that the KH games is on pc and you dont hear anything about them... Im also waiting for them to hit steam, but i will probably be like "if i could wait a year for it to hit steam, then i might aswell just wait till i can get them all for like 15-20€"

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But don't you think they took that check because they don't understand the demand for their games on Steam?

The fact that Persona 4 Golden's success caught anyone by surprise is proof of this. How were you not aware of pent-up demand for that game on PC (and also now on Switch)?!
Funny you mention this, since Persona 4 Golden and Sonic Colors are published by Sega. People have been asking a port of Sonic Colors for years. And Sega decided to take the cheque instead of releasing the game on Steam and EGS. Depiste Persona 4 Golden on Steam being a success.

As far as I'm aware, Sega has had good sales on PC. Like Valkyria Chronicles, for example. So they are fully aware there is demand on Steam.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Some of us gamers that played stuff like KH on PS2 have moved to PC exclusively
The operative word here being some. Look, I don't necessarily disagree with the thrust of the OP, but it's not helped by the examples chosen. They chose three games not traditionally associated with the PC, one of which is a fairly niche fighting game and the other two of which are the third entries in long running franchises. Even if they had all launched on Steam day one, there's still a fairly low ceiling on how popular they'd be/how well they'd sell(I'll allow that KH3 is a up for debate, it would probably still sell well but not do crazy numbers). The OP would've been better served using a game like BL3, for example, which sold a ton once it came to Steam.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, I've always said that bigger companies doing this are short-sighted. They don't need the moneyhat and they'd make more money without the exclusivity period, even if the game does well on Steam when it's eventually released.

I personally skip EGS-exclusive releases and I wait to buy the Steam release until it's on sale.

Big companies have done this forever on consoles so it was bound to happen on the PC as well since there are multiple stores to buy games on.

I don't like the tactic on consoles and i don't like it on PC but it's not gonna stop now.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even about the store at this point. It's about having the exact same comment derail every thread about EGS. How many gamers not interested in PC games and not following PC games in the past years can decide to have existential questions about EGS exactly at the moment a new thread pops up before becoming annoying?

I'd imagine you're going to get one in every single new thread, and if it's annoying the only solution would be to stop making Steam vs EGS if you don't want anyone questioning the discussion around it.

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
I was interested in Chivalry 2... until I saw it is EGS exclusive for a year. If the player base is still solid in a year ill consider picking it up then on steam.

I just hate the idea of having to juggle multiple launchers so I can't support EGS exclusivity.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If you think that's bad. It's been nearly 5 years and the Nintendo Switch eShop still doesn't have a shopping cart lol.

The Switch is missing lots and lots of things that practically every other platform on the planet has, to be fair, even its direct predecessors.

It's fairly baffling, but as usual these sorts of things are just Nintendo being Nintendo, for better or worse.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
If the game is available on both Steam and EGS and is the same price I will go for the Steam version. Otherwise i'll get whatever version is cheaper. The friends list and chat stuff doesn't matter to me since everyone I know just uses discord. I don't put a lot of stock in to steam reviews either so that doesnt really matter to me either. Its cool having everything in one store but it really doesn't matter that much to me.

Besides that Isn't EGS more friendly to developers? I thought that the devs get more money if you buy on EGS vs Steam as EGS takes a smaller percent of the sale than Steam.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Lol didn't even know KH released on PC. I'll never install Epic so it doesn't exist to me if it's exclusive. Plenty of other things to play.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The operative word here being some. Look, I don't necessarily disagree with the thrust of the OP, but it's not helped by the examples chosen. They chose three games not traditionally associated with the PC, one of which is a fairly niche fighting game and the other two of which are the third entries in long running franchises. Even if they had all launched on Steam day one, there's still a fairly low ceiling on how popular they'd be/how well they'd sell(I'll allow that KH3 is a up for debate, it would probably still sell well but not do crazy numbers). The OP would've been better served using a game like BL3, for example, which sold a ton once it came to Steam.
Ok look at ANNO 1800

It was an amazing upgrade and new entry in a long-time PC series, I feel like if it had launched on Steam it would be way bigger. (I got my preorder in on Steam before the EGS announcement and they honored it luckily)

Epic Games Store; come for the moneyhatted exclusives, stay for the ?????????
Free games and ResetEra threads lol

Nov 14, 2017
Funny you mention this, since Persona 4 Golden and Sonic Colors are published by Sega. People have been asking a port of Sonic Colors for years. And Sega decided to take the cheque instead of releasing the game on Steam and EGS. Depiste Persona 4 Golden on Steam being a success.

As far as I'm aware, Sega has had good sales on PC. Like Valkyria Chronicles, for example. So they are fully aware there is demand on Steam.
Colors getting moneyhatted completely baffled me. Why a remaster of all things?

Fortunately I'm in no rush to replay it, and by time I've gone through my backlog it'll probably on Steam.

Dizfy

Oct 17, 2019
Man i can't wait for Tetris and Kingdom Hearts to hit Steam. Was very close to getting Tetris but because i own a Valve Index i like my VR games to "just work" trough Steam. Already finished all KH games like 5 times on PS4 but i would double dip on Steam.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
If the game is available on both Steam and EGS and is the same price I will go for the Steam version. Otherwise i'll get whatever version is cheaper. The friends list and chat stuff doesn't matter to me since everyone I know just uses discord. I don't put a lot of stock in to steam reviews either so that doesnt really matter to me either. Its cool having everything in one store but it really doesn't matter that much to me.

Besides that Isn't EGS more friendly to developers? I thought that the devs get more money if you buy on EGS vs Steam as EGS takes a smaller percent of the sale than Steam.
EGS is more publisher friendly than dev friendly. Also, no Steam input so EGS is extra dead for me.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Well in the case of KH, it didn't help that the pricing was asinine, you could get the entire series on PS4 for like $40-60, but they want like $170+ on PC (excluding the rhythm game). But yeah, EGS exclusivity means little exposure aside from BL3 at the time.

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
User Banned (permanent): Sinophobia, prior serious ban while still in junior phase
This is woefully out of date isn't it? They've had 2FA since I first used the app which seems like years ago now.. and they've had cloud saves a while too.

And Chi-Com spying? Really? lol

(egs sucks, don't get me wrong.. but I'm pretty sure it has several of these features, and no "Chi-Com spying")
the fuck is chi com spying ? did you really have to use a chart with that kind of nonsense ?
"Chi-Com spying"

this image is dumb as fuck and you should feel bad for making it

Some things are outdated, others are not. This a random picture that you find with a simple "Steam vs Epic" on Google.

The concerns about Chinese spyware are because of the Tencent, with has a 40% of Epic Games. EGS make a vast data collect on your computer, so this raised some eyebrows.

www.dsogaming.com

PC gamers report that Epic launcher collects their Steam friends & play history, Epic Games responds

A few hours ago, Resetera’s member ‘Madjoki’ discovered that Epic Launcher collecting players’ Steam friends and play history. Going into more details, Madjoki found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud. This...

Where there is fire there can be a fire. Facebook denied spying on its billions of users until they were caught red handed. The US government NSA were caught spying on millions of citizens until Edward Snowden exposed them.

Tencent be a part of Epic Games and Tencent with China's government involvement, it becomes very dubious / suspicious.

Dizfy

Oct 17, 2019
I kinda view EGS timesd exclusives as Denuvo. Will get it when it is patched out/released on Steam

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some things are outdated, others are not. This a random picture that you find with a simple "Steam vs Epic" on Google.

The concerns about Chinese spyware are because of the Tencent, with has a 40% of Epic Games. EGS make a vast data collect on your computer, so this raised some eyebrows.

www.dsogaming.com

PC gamers report that Epic launcher collects their Steam friends & play history, Epic Games responds

A few hours ago, Resetera’s member ‘Madjoki’ discovered that Epic Launcher collecting players’ Steam friends and play history. Going into more details, Madjoki found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud. This...

Where there is fire there can be a fire. Facebook denied spying on its billions of users until they were caught red handed. The US government NSA were caught spying on millions of citizens until Edward Snowden exposed them.

Tencent be a part of Epic Games and Tencent with China's government involvement, it becomes very dubious / suspicious.

That's a lot of words to say "China scares me and I want it to scare you too"

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

www.dsogaming.com

Cool double down lmao

The Mollusk

May 13, 2019

The need for "hype" as part of the gaming experience seems to be less of a requirement on the PC gaming side compared to consoles. If you look into the console threads on here in the leadup to a release you see endless numbers of people repeatedly expressing their excitement for the upcoming game, many of whom when met by anything less than total enthusiasm ask why more people aren't excited for the game.

PC Gaming for the most part seems absent of the hype-train. People like what they like and aren't driven by the need to have others share in their enthusiasm. Platform threads on here can goto some weird places sometimes.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Samsho was dead on arrival, SNK did their best to kill any hype for it. With no good rollback, online, xplay in mind and a high price point with a very small fan base it already had a very, very rough start ahead on consoles already but what they did to the pc version is worse than expected. It was planned to be released on Steam a year after console release (which is a ridiculous delay already) and SNK were saying they would not do a Epic exclusivity deal because of the massive success they're gonna have on pc and don't need it. Then they decided to do a Stadia timed exclusivity and many months later tooked another timed exclusivity deal with Epic which killed any interest. Fucking up their own reputation and hype with no regard how things will end up is tragic.
The recent Steam release is another middle finger, no 120fps mode like on xbox and it's still extremely overpriced and dead online. Game is still absurdly overpriced and not worth picking up on both stores for whatever reasons. What a fuck up.

Shenmue 3 genuinely has some rough edges and is not that good. The Kickstarter debacle didn't help either. A lot of negativity sorrounded the game.

Kingdom Hearts collection is the most overpriced port I've seen. The PS4 remaster collection and 3 is sold to a ridiculously low price but meanwhile they try to kill any interest of legitimate customers on pc launching it on Epic with barely below average port with obscenely high price. Almost criminal how they think this is alright.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yeah, I don't even have EGS installed and I refuse to. I dropped Rocket League because of the Epic integration and I'll do the same with other games. I want nothing to do with Epic Games

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

www.dsogaming.com

racist with under 200 posts to their name?

sounds about right

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The need for "hype" as part of the gaming experience seems to be less of a requirement on the PC gaming side compared to consoles. If you look into the console threads on here in the leadup to a release you see endless numbers of people repeatedly expressing their excitement for the upcoming game, many of whom when met by anything less than total enthusiasm ask why more people aren't excited for the game.

PC Gaming for the most part seems absent of the hype-train. People like what they like and aren't driven by the need to have others share in their enthusiasm. Platform threads on here can goto some weird places sometimes.
A vast majority of those games are multiplatform, and among the people expressing hype are people who are going to be playing the game on PC.