• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I really wonder what happened with Nintendo from 1999-2002 or so, Sunshine and even Wind Waker really felt undercooked and kinda felt like dev teams weren't that into the product. Even Luigi's Mansion needed more time in the oven.

Agree with Sunshine, but wind waker is one of the best games ever made. Not perfect of course, but it is an incredible game.
The GameCube was tanking in sales and third party were leaving Nintendo.

They did the same again during the Wii U era with some games being released undercooked, most famously Mario Smash Tennis.

There are always filler games like that tenis game, but for the most part first part games on the wiiu were gold.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It would basically need to be remade to make it worthwhile. Sunshine is such a wonky game, and it would need to be adjusted to work with digital triggers.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine was a beautiful setting but one of the worst Mario games, because of FLUDD.

FLUDD simply was a pain in the ass. So was having to refill FLUDD, and use FLUDD to simultaneously clean shit and fight off those glop monsters while the camera is zoomed in way too far. I remember the stage boss of some gopher thing shooting bombs, being the point where I just gave up. A sheer pain in the ass to reach, and then getting killed or knocked off just wasn't fun.

Mario Sunshine's best parts where the stages without FLUDD. Anyone who denies that is lying.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Agree with Sunshine, but wind waker is one of the best games ever made. Not perfect of course, but it is an incredible game.
Incredible or not (it is), the game is obviously undercooked. Just look at the lack of a dungeon for the third pearl, or the triforce quest.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
After beating it once completely, I really don't have any intention of ever playing it again in the way it was released. Very questionable design decisions were made in Sunshine. 64, both Galaxies and Odyssey are far better games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer if they did a full remake of it rather than a remaster, kinda like what they did with Mario 64 DS.

Redesign the blue coin challenge (or let you unlock a map of them or something), tweak a couple of the more annoying Shines, add a level or two, stuff like that.

I'd still love the game and I'm sure I'd buy a straight HD re-release if it came to Switch, but I'd really love for the game to get the extra layer of refinement it deserves.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine has the highest highs and lowest lows of any 3D Mario for me. If Nintendo could ditch some of the jank levels and tweak the camera a bit, I'd be all for a switch port. Especially if you could use the joycon to point Fluud, making the running-while-spraying parts more controllable.

edit: like what the poster above me said

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a fun game but there are so many of those "that moment" I think back on that frustrated me as a kid.

Pachinko, Chuckster, Watermelon, etc.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I recently played it on Dolphin and while it is a good looking game, the gameplay game levels/design are a bit outdated. Those Galaxy-like missions are surprisingly tough and those races are pretty annoying if you don't learn the short cuts. FLUDD gameplay can be fun at times but on platforming sections it can also be a bit annoying when you fail or fall down and have to start all over.

If anything, this game needs a remake or a sequel. I'm fine with a port but its not going to be received well by today's Mario Odyssey fans.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I love this game and there are only like 3 missions that really piss me off. The pachinko level comes to mind and then the one on the toxic water slide where you have to collect 8 red coins. I believe it even was a pain in the ass to get there cause you have to ride on the boats with Yoshi.

Oh and getting all blue coins, you have to be a little masochistic for that.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Why would you want Sunshine when Odyssey is by far the better game and a true successor to Mario 64.
Maybe we could get a Sunshine world in Mario Odyssey 2 but that's it.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
With this game being home to some of the worst levels in the history of the franchise, I don't think it deserves any parole.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Sunshine is that it's probobaly the least user friendly Mario game ever made. It practically assumes that you have played and gotten pretty good at Mario 64 and are familiar with all of that games Advanced movement options. It expects the player to already knows how to perform the Forward Dive jump, which in this game is the Long Jump equivalent from Mario 64 or the incredibly useful spin jump. Which the game does not tell you at all how to do in game. Which leads to much frustration from new players especially in those obstacle course levels. The game never teaches you how to slide or practically anything else. It just expects you to already know all of this stuff which is pretty bad considering how complex the control scheme is for a Mario game. Nintendo realized this issues thankfully when developing Odyssey and included a Movement list in the menu and a brief tutorial.

I seriously believe that had they done a similar thing with Sunshine, the game would have been looked back on much more fondly. Not to mention because Susnhine is a early 2002 game and this is Nintendo they won't let you have any options to adjust the camera movement speed or even invert the camera controls. So you end up with this awkward camera system that in theory is really good, only when you get used to it. When i was watching Giantbomb play this game for the first time, it just dawned on me how poorly the game communicates anything to the player. Yes they did suck at the game but i don't think it was entirely their fault, it just really crystallized why Nintendo went in the restrictive and hand holdy design philosophy during the Wii era.

If Nintendo does a HD remake of this game they really only need to add some quality of life improvements and tweaks and have the game run at 60fps (Like it was originally going to even as late as E3 2002) It would turn out pretty great.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to have Sunshine on the Switch but it seriously needs a remake more than a remaster. The original Sunshine is a game I both love a lot, but also recognize it has some horrible lows for a 3D Mario game. Some content needs to be redone and they straight up need to add more locales to visit. The blue coin system is just...blegh.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Sunshine's not a bad game but having replayed all the 3D Marios before Odyssey came out, it was the only one where I felt it was actively trying to keep me from having fun. I especially dislike forcing the player to get the first seven Shines of all worlds to beat the game, it completely limits replay value.

Delfino Plaza is an all time great video game hub though.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Dear Nintendo,

Please pull a Konami and lose the source code for Super Mario Sunshine.

Thanks XOXO

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The GameCube was tanking in sales and third party were leaving Nintendo.

They did the same again during the Wii U era with some games being released undercooked, most famously Mario Smash Tennis.

Yeah but their mainline games on the Wii U didn't feel as rough as they did on Gamecube. No one really cares that a spin-off series gets an underwhelming sequel, but it's easy to see why so many were disappointed to get something like Sunshine as a follow up to one of the greatest games of all time.

Same goes for Wind Waker off the heels of OOT and Majora's Mask (even though I loved it).

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you want Sunshine when Odyssey is by far the better game and a true successor to Mario 64.

They already released Odyssey on the Switch. It's not one or the other. Having Odyssey AND Sunshine objectively better than just having Odyssey. And they'd just hand sunshine over to a third party team to remake it, so it wouldn't be instead of Odyssey 2.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for this game particularly, but yeah Nintendo needs to get on Gamecube emulation. Outside of things that got re-released like the Metroids and Zeldas, the Gamecube era got left behind.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
Nah, keep it there. It's an incredibly cursed game, I'd rather have Galaxy back

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its the only mario game I did not 100%, It was tedious and the fludd mechanics were not fun. I'd rather play Mario 64 DS.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Nintendo is never embarrassed about their past work otherwise they would have never remade Majoras Mask.
That's...their best game. That's literally the best game they've made.
Sunshine pretty well took over the direction of the serices once it released. Toadsworth started being in everything and every sports and party title ended up having a tropical island filled with Pianatas.
They moved so far away from it in the next game, going so far as to do most of the camera positioning themselves to put less stress on the player and alter Mario's moveset to be way easier to control.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
You know, every time new Nintendo hardware releases, and it's without analog triggers, I am saddened because I know this won't see a remaster. Not the best 3D Mario, but a super fun and all around great platformer none the less

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it has a few quirks, but it's still fantastic and deserves the love. A remaster that fixes some of the tedium would be amazing.

Also, I absolutely can't understand why Delfino wasn't in SMO. If there's a sequel, it's gotta be there.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Why nintendo seems intent on ignoring this entry is beyond me. They seem to want to remaster every zelda under the sun but then turn their backs on what was a very well received mario at the time, if not reaching the level of it's predecessor or some subsequent games.

It's great, but I just played them back to back recently and I would definitely say Galaxy 1 and 2 are better games. More diversity, better level design, more mind bending innovation.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
I'd love more sunshine, or anything gamecube in general. I've been getting my sunshine fix from watching streams of any% runs. They made such a great universe and it's continually referenced in current games. Even getting complete race tracks in the Mario Kart series.

#ReturnToIsleDelfino

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing graphics, best story, clever level design and good water gameplay. The challenge levels are a little too difficult but overall it's a way better Mario game than Odyssey. It deserves a port.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to play it.
But recently I've started watching the Giant Bomb east playthrough "steal my sunshine".

The camera seems to be the biggest issue. It's like they designed the levels and hoped the camera would be able to cope.
It's very unpolished for a Nintendo game.

A complete remake that fixed the problems would be preferable to an HD remaster.
But probably best to let it fade into the past.