• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Puzzle Quest 3 Announced

This morning 505 Games announced Puzzle Quest 3, a free-to-play sequel that takes place 500 years after the original.

A direct follow-up to 2007 surprise hit Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, Puzzle Quest 3 will once more see players traveling across the world of Etheria, competing in 1-on-1 battles against fantasy creatures by combining gems to harvest resources, used to cast powerful spells and abilities. The official announcement mentions a "3D game world," which is new to the series, as well as some sort of gameplay twist that is not explained.

I am a Puzzle Quest veteran and nerd, and I loved Puzzle Quest (played a shitton of it on Xbox 360), Puzzle Quest 2 is cool and the Sci Fi Galactrix, but the king has returned.

WHAT SAY YOU

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
While I loved PQ1, I couldn't get into 2, so I have high hopes for 3.
Free to play? I played Gems of War but after a while it asked so much playtime to keep up I gave up.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest since launch which is....over 7 years ago now. I played the original on Xbox 360 before that.

So yes, I'm definitely down for this.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
i can't think of a game that needed a "3D game world" less than Puzzle Quest but i'm still intrigued

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has been able to capture the same as the original. PQ2, PQ Galactrix, Gems of War, etc... fingers crossed though

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm bummed that it is free-to-play. I haven't had a positive experience with free mobile games yet.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Free 2 Play is... spooky, but I've heard great things about their marvel puzzle quest games so here's hoping it's reasonable.

Oct 26, 2017
How's the Switch remake/remaster of the original? I heard it has issues, were those ever ironed out, same with performance?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I know it wouldn't be most people's preferred platform to play a game like this but I really hope it comes to ps5.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Candy Crush F2P model meant terribly unbalanced levels that either required lot of luck or use of paid items...

Hope this is different, really enjoyed the first one back in the day.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope to god it doesn't have F2P bullshit in it. I must've spent 100s of hours in PQ1 on the DS. I would happily pay full AAA MSRP for PQ3 if it avoided F2P MTX.

OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
If anything I would believe Infinite would base their monetization on customizing your game and wanting it F2P to get the most people to look at it

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh man, I didn;t care much for the sequel but I adored the first one. Exciting stuff!

Jan 7, 2021
It's been said , but free to play tells me when I get my ass kicked multiple times that I may be locked out from trying again for a set period of time unless I have some in game currency that is earned or bought with real world currency.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I loved Puzzle Quest 1 and disliked PQ2 because of its dumb level scaling that mean leveling up served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I would love to see a game recapture the magic of PQ1, but being F2P fills me with a strong sense of doubt.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Will give it a try. Are there any good match 3 mobile games out now that aren't stuffed with free to play timers or 6 different currencies? Something I can just buy for a few quid and enjoy without having to do daily login or any of that other crap.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
It's been said , but free to play tells me when I get my ass kicked multiple times that I may be locked out from trying again for a set period of time unless I have some in game currency that is earned or bought with real world currency.
Check out Gems of War if you wanna get an idea of what free to play might look like from them. That's their current puzzle game that they've been supporting for the past 6 years.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I love Puzzle Quest, but it's also the only series I know that gives me Tetris effect, which is hella annoying.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Will give it a try. Are there any good match 3 mobile games out now that aren't stuffed with free to play timers or 6 different currencies? Something I can just buy for a few quid and enjoy without having to do daily login or any of that other crap.
-Hero Emblems (iOS only)
-Starbeard
-EightyEight Games catalog
-Million Dungeon
-Troll Patrol

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Hmm.

I want to be excited about this (hell, I was the guy who port-modded PQ1's expansion to PC), but the mention of F2P and unspecified platforms has really cut off my hype. We already have Gems of War, from the same developer, for our F2P Puzzle Quest timesink; not sure how PQ3 is going to fit in to that ecosystem.

There was a Puzzle Quest 2?
There was, although they tried to take things in a very different direction than PQ1, and it kinda didn't work for the most part. Instead of traveling across a giant continent, conquering cities and building an empire, PQ2 was basically one town and one interconnected dungeon. The smaller scale didn't really fit PQ's weird nature IMO. PQ1 also let you pretty much break the game with overpowered combos, where PQ2 was much more reigned in. Normally that would be a good thing, but I absolutely loved PQ1's potential for game-breaking chaos. It somehow worked really well (unless it crashed the game, lol)