• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

lol. Did anyone buy this thing? I moved to 7zip ages ago.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't used WinRAR in ages.

Though I still use it as a shorthand celebrationwhen I find an amazing deal.
Damn, I still remember that. We are old >:(
I went to 7zip a while back, but if I wanna run a program inside a rar, 7zip only uncompresses the exe, and a lot of times it won't work. WinRAR did everything and I didn't need to uncompress it to a fixed location.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Even though at best settings 7-Zip generally beats RAR5 (oddly rebranded as "RAR" format some time ago, while the old .rar format is now called RAR4 for no good reason) in sheer compression ratio, I do prefer WinRAR as my default tool.

I favor RAR's support of recovery record and volumes, the customizable self-extraction module and the settings depth for all features. 7-Zip is a bit too simple for my needs although I haven't explored it extensively. Surely the command line tool must be quite interesting but so is WinRAR's.

It helps that I won a WinRAR key a while ago when I wrote a review about it, but I can see why most users would just install 7-Zip for regular use.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault-8.jpg

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I've got WinRAR installed on my machine, but it is for decompressing malware in .ACE files and such that are annoying as hell to deal with on my work Mac (I work in IT security) and don't play nice with 7zip.

(There's an ACE plugin for WinRAR, it's a b.s. proprietary format that is apparently somewhat popular in parts of Asia.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I've used WinRAR for ages, and I have it registered. Can't live without it.

I have given 7Zip multiple tries but never liked it. I don't even remember why at this point. WinRAR does everything I need and does it well.

Wakawun

Oct 27, 2017
I switched from WinRAR to 7zip because it had some weird issues with changing filenames with unicode characters or something going from Mac to Windows. Does it still have that, or was I just using a super old version?

Anyway, all I need this stuff for is extracting/creating zips and rars with a simple right click in Explorer and 7zip does that just fine.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Last time i tried 7zip couple years ago, the ui and os integration was still trash and buggy. Drag drop didn't work at all. Also it did not support creating rar files. Is it better now?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad someone caught this rare event on video. I've been seeing that message for over two decades, so I should probably register.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think winrar only cares about business paying for a license. I paid for a license for winzip back in the day, and again recently, but they have a yearly license, and it just not worth it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Winrar for so long, still do today. Watched this LGR yesterday.

Amazing that the key works on prior versions too.