• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Edit it to say me instead of you
ezgif-6-9b4f41002d4d.gif

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
said they would not tear gas protestors and then did it again anyway
I've seen other people mention this, but I can't find a single article online about it happening, do you have a source for this? The closest I can find are articles that talk about the tear gas ban (specifically, CS gas), and mention that due to the ban they switched to pepper spray, which doesn't have the problems tear gas does, spreading indiscriminately throughout entire neighborhoods when used incorrectly and causing breathing issues, which were the reasons for the ban.

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
FUCK OFF, Reggie.

So funny how many people are being light on him here cause of his affiliation with NCL, lol

Dec 31, 2017
Contrary to your belief I don't think a lot of people here would have problems quitting a fascist gang that kills, assaults, arrests and intimidates the people they're trying to protect. Even if they get paid for it.

This says more about your morals than anything else.
Police work isn't about any of the things you are talking about and no human being joins an organisation like that to kill people and intimidate them. So a few people is not representative of the whole organisation and those doing their work that have husbands/wives, kids, and other dependents have no reason to quit and it would be hard for them to do so without huge repercussions on those they care about.

Lots of talking on these boards, would really love to know what's the % of people actively out right now and fighting the good fight instead of arguing about what Reggie tweeted on a message board.

The system of policing in America is racist and was designed specifically to ruin the lives of black Americans. The cops participate willingly in the system. Therefore, the cops are racist.

That some cops are black or brown doesn't absolve them from being racist. They participate in the system for their own reasons, but they're racist.

That some cops have black family members or black friends doesn't absolve them from being racist. They participate in the system and, as we've seen, they are quick to band together when questioned on their racism.

All. Of. Them. Are. Racist.
Please explain the how and why of what you are trying to claim here. You are making a lot of claims here without backing it up. I would be willing to bet that a majority of policemen and women are white as the majority of the population of the US is white so the police force should normally reflect that. Considering racism is widespread in the US (and considering people like Trump get elected at the head of the country it would be hard to refute that one) it means that racism will also be widespread within the police force as they are a representation of the population itself (just like any organisation in the country btw, including military, government, etc). This means that the police force itself isn't racist and people aren't taught to hate on black people when they join, they already are racist fucks when they join. So while I will not start arguing about whether or not the police need a reform, I will however argue that the problem in its most simple form isn't the organisation itself but a portion (could be a high or low %) of the people joining it.

The problem is a society problem, not a police problem. Fix your people and you'll fix your problem, it's that simple.

The police has a lot of power, that much is true. What matters is who you give that power to, as someone humble and reasonable will not act like a fool, while others will power trip as we are seeing right now.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Police work isn't about any of the things you are talking about and no human being joins an organisation like that to kill people and intimidate them. So a few people is not representative of the whole organisation and those doing their work that have husbands/wives, kids, and other dependents have no reason to quit and it would be hard for them to do so without huge repercussions on those they care about.

Lots of talking on these boards, would really love to know what's the % of people actively out right now and fighting the good fight instead of arguing about what Reggie tweeted on a message board.
Mate read the news, it's not a few bad apples. It's entire departments.

And fwiw I've donated to BLM and multiple bail funds, would like to protest as well but haven't because I'm immuno-suppressed.

If you actually gave a shit about police officer families you would be denouncing the police as well since the last study that was done was self-reported that 40% of officers beat their spouses.

You're literally arguing for the continuation of a fascist police state just because you're worried police officers who already get paid a shitton would have issues finding a new job.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
And this is what I keep saying - the people who get to these positions, the CEOs, exec boards and such - they're not your friend. This is an elitist club defending what's theirs.

It's fine to be a gaming fan of Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft, but i'm sick and tired of the bootlickers blindly defending bootlickers who bootlick other bootlickers boots.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Even if I did nothing but argue with people in threads, it would still be more than you have done for the movement. Especially considering you're trying to argue in a thread about THE SEATTLE POLICE of all departments.

But to answer your bad faith question: I've done more than argue in threads but i'm not going to brag about my contributions because there's still much more work to be done. Also, it's none of your fucking business.

Last edited:

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It's entirely possible to be friends with someone or have them as part of your family and be able to seperate them from their occupation and still see their occupation as something that must be dissolved.

I'm not going to put words in peoples mouths but ACAB is a criticism of the institution not of the personal values of the people who work those positions. Uncle Joe might be a swell dude who put your kids through college but he's still trained by a corrupt institution to oppress society.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
It's entirely possible to be friends with someone or have them as part of your family and be able to seperate them from their occupation and still see their occupation as something that must be dissolved.

I'm not going to put words in peoples mouths but ACAB is a criticism of the institution not of the personal values of the people who work those positions. Uncle Joe might be a swell dude who put your kids through college but he's still trained by a corrupt institution to oppress society.
This and also just because they're your neighbor or friend doesn't mean you know about their internal beliefs. How many times have we heard "I'm shcoked! I really I would have never suspected Timmy to do that"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always under the impression Reggie was of the conservative bent but now that I think about it I'm not exactly sure where that perception came from. This tweet still rings pretty hollow considering what the Seattle PD is doing to people right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Please explain the how and why of what you are trying to claim here. You are making a lot of claims here without backing it up. I would be willing to bet that a majority of policemen and women are white as the majority of the population of the US is white so the police force should normally reflect that. Considering racism is widespread in the US (and considering people like Trump get elected at the head of the country it would be hard to refute that one) it means that racism will also be widespread within the police force as they are a representation of the population itself (just like any organisation in the country btw, including military, government, etc). This means that the police force itself isn't racist and people aren't taught to hate on black people when they join, they already are racist fucks when they join. So while I will not start arguing about whether or not the police need a reform, I will however argue that the problem in its most simple form isn't the organisation itself but a portion (could be a high or low %) of the people joining it.

The problem is a society problem, not a police problem. Fix your people and you'll fix your problem, it's that simple.

The police has a lot of power, that much is true. What matters is who you give that power to, as someone humble and reasonable will not act like a fool, while others will power trip as we are seeing right now.

I'm not going to explain the history of policing in the United States and how it was established specifically to enforce racist laws to you. Read a goddamned book instead of posting with such confidence, but such ignorance.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the people saying ACAB, what would you propose as an alternative/solution?

The police are the blunt instrument that deals with societies ills and failures. You would focus on fixing many of those issues directly instead of relying on cops to beat people, arrest them and throw them in jail or worse. For example cops responding to and dealing with wellness checks for things like mental health is a terrible idea that causes undo problems for everyone involved as cops are rarely trained to properly deal with those types of situations.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
  • Defund or abolish the police.
  • Abolish police unions.
  • Abolish prisons.
  • Invest all that money that would have gone to the police into the community.
  • Establish trained professionals who can deal with specific problems like mental heath, domestic abuse, drugs, etc.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
life isn'tso black and white like you want to believe.

theres So many variables, life stuff that plays into all scenarios.
This is a meaning bunch of drivel that doesn't change the fact that minoriries systematically oppressed and murdered by a racist institution, which the police are an integral part of.

Nov 10, 2017
User Banend (Permenant): Concern trolling regarding police brutality against minorities; account in junior phase
In an anti-racism movement, is it helpful to stereotype an entire profession? People are like "Teachers good, cops bad" when we all know there is nuance in this world and we shouldn't judge people like that.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Abolish police unions.
  • Abolish prisons.
  • Establish trained professionals who can deal with specific problems like mental heath, domestic abuse, drugs, etc.
Without police who will you call for help when someone is trying to kill you? Do you think all murderers can be reformed?

Nov 10, 2017
  • Abolish police unions.
  • Abolish prisons.

We would enter into a dystopian world of unregulated private security firms, most likely. Every bank, every store, every rich neighborhood, would have their own unregulated security force to enforce the law.

Who investigate murders? Domestic violence? Violent crime in general?

People would solve their issues 'outside' the justice system, with revenge killings, gang warfare, and general anarchy.

And would the private security be any less racist? Likely they'd be worse, like comparing private military to the USA armed forces. Why not reform the police and make changes needed now that we have public support?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
You mean he isn't always a fun-loving Gamer?! I can't believe it!

You shouldn't care what this guy says anymore. He's just another person. And you shouldn't expect him to carry on his persona from Nintendo. He was there to sell us toys. That's it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Eliminate/disband our police institutions, rebuild as specialized institutions to serve the public, moving funding to better serve the people. There are a whole lot of things police are involved with that have nothing to do with serving the public good. If you use Google, you can find a variety of proposals and detailed explanations of how it would work.

Personnel wise, they've had a constant thread of serving white supremecy since the early days of being slave catchers, a thread that was never cut. They have further been heavily infiltrated by other white supremecist/Nazi groups, and even deliberately disqualify people who are deemed to be too intellegent, in many cases. Police departments and police unions are also very cult like in the way they behave, and have supported police criminal activity nearly every single time it occurs, while also viewing themselves as some sort of "thin blue line" between order and chaos.

Good cops aren't good cops for long. They either come to support all the heinous shit their "brothers" do, or they lose their jobs (or worse).

I was a reformer, but taking a step back and examining all the problems that need reformed, I see a police system that is unsalvageable.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
You gotta be a real corncob to "well actually" in a thread specifically about a PD who have been attacking protesters and arresting people for filming their negligence all week and as we speak.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
A lotta boot lickers showing up in this thread lol

Are you surprised? I have a lot I would like to say about how problematic gamers in general are when it comes to issues of race, equality and how easy it seems to be for so many to forgive their favorite "personalities" who show themselves to be fools on those issues but.. I'll just say I'm glad OT has pretty much been devoid of the " But but good cops"

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Without police who will you call for help when someone is trying to kill you? Do you think all murderers can be reformed?
We would enter into a dystopian world of unregulated private security firms, most likely. Every bank, every store, every rich neighborhood, would have their own unregulated security force to enforce the law.

People would solve their issues 'outside' the justice system, with revenge killings, gang warfare, and general anarchy.

And would the private security be any less racist? Likely they'd be worse, like comparing private military to the USA armed forces. Why not reform the police and make changes needed now that we have public support?

Defunding the police doesn't entail the complete elimination of state-funded public safety personnel. It refers to shifting funding back from (and breaking up) general-purpose militarized police forces to more specialized, targeted programs.

www.theatlantic.com

Defund the Police

America needs to rethink its priorities for the whole criminal-justice system.

A more radical option, one scrawled on cardboard signs and tagged on buildings and flooding social media, is to defund the cops. What might that mean in practice? Not just smaller budgets and fewer officers, though many activists advocate for that. It would mean ending mass incarceration, cash bail, fines-and-fees policing, the war on drugs, and police militarization, as well as getting cops out of schools. It would also mean funding housing-first programs, creating subsidized jobs for the formerly incarcerated, and expanding initiatives to have mental-health professionals and social workers respond to emergency calls.

www.theguardian.com

What does 'defund the police' mean? The rallying cry sweeping the US – explained

Activists have long advocated taking money from police and reinvesting it in services. The idea is now seeing a wave of support

What does it mean to 'defund the police'?
For years, community groups have advocated for defunding law enforcement – taking money away from police and prisons – and reinvesting those funds in services. The basic principle is that government budgets and "public safety" spending should prioritize housing, employment, community health, education and other vital programs, instead of police officers. Advocates argue that defunding is the best way forward since attempts to reform police practices over the last five years have failed, as evidenced by the brutal killing of George Floyd. Groups have a range of demands, with some seeking modest reductions and others viewing full defunding as a step toward abolishing contemporary police services.

How much does America currently spend on police?
In the past four decades, the cost of policing in the US has tripled and is now $115bn, according to a recent analysis. That steady increase comes as crime has been consistently declining. In most cities, spending on police is significantly greater than spending on services and other departments ($1.8bn on police in Los Angeles, for example, which is more than half the city's general fund). The Covid-19 economic crisis has led cities and states to make drastic budget cuts to education, youth programs, arts and culture, parks, libraries, housing services and more. But police budgets have grown or gone largely untouched – until pressure from protests this week.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's bad judgement to praise the person involved in the department's current actions, considering how flagrant they have been in betraying community trust. Even if the longer-term goal is supposedly reform. That credibility isn't earned yet, and they are/were among key decisionmakers for the current brutality (and conscious lies in their communications).

This is understandable, but it reflects poorly on Reggie.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing is perfect and we'll probably still need some type of authority that carries a gun, but the purpose is to minimize the need to call someone who's only training is to protect property and hand out tickets.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Fair enough, and I'm trying to read up and learn more. But I'm usually pretty disconnected from current events, so it's been a lot to take in.

It's pretty crazy how out of the loop I've been, and how easy it is to stay that way if all you do to get news is, say, check google news once a day or so.

But this is getting pretty off topic since this is supposed to be about Reggie, so apologies. Hopefully he will say something more and clarify his position.
Big thumbs up from me on taking the responsibility to get up to speed. It is so important people do this.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Reggie is no longer affiliated with Nintendo so his opinions are his own. I don't agree with it, but respect his opinion. I guess people atill think his opinions are Nintendo's opinions which they're not.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
In an anti-racism movement, is it helpful to stereotype an entire profession? People are like "Teachers good, cops bad" when we all know there is nuance in this world and we shouldn't judge people like that.

There's not a micron of similarity between criticizing systemic abuse and corruption of a specific institution and racism itself. This isn't "reverse racism" against "blue lives." The issue is a criminal lack of accountability when law enforcement itself carries out extrajudicial executions and/or brutality.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've seen other people mention this, but I can't find a single article online about it happening, do you have a source for this? The closest I can find are articles that talk about the tear gas ban, and mention that due to the ban they switched to pepper spray, which doesn't have the problems tear gas does, spreading indiscriminately throughout entire neighborhoods and causing breathing issues, which were the reasons for the ban.

Just in case you're wondering, they did earlier tonight as they asked the crowd to move back and they did not. As well as a guy got shot because a shooter drove up with his car near the crowd and just shot someone and then ran towards the police.

Oct 26, 2017
TOTAL ANARCHY AHHHHHH

We will find a way to go on with out pigs stepping on our necks. I know, it's hard to imagine.

I feel like if you propose a major change to society, you should have any solution prepped.

The main alternative I've heard is "stop working with current police departments, start brand new law enforcement departments but then fill those departments with good police" which like, yeah, that could work pretty well, but is much more like a reboot than abolishment.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Trained and paid by the institution. Also obliged to their orders, no questions asked.

aJjC2X3.jpg

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I feel like if you propose a major change to society, you should have any solution prepped.

The main alternative I've heard is "stop working with current police departments, start brand new law enforcement departments but then fill those departments with good police" which like, yeah, that could work pretty well, but is much more like a reboot than abolishment.
That's what people mean

Also not dumping tax payer money into them so that they can build actual armies that answer to literally no one.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any large society currently or in the past who have not had some sort of law enforcement. Calling for the dissolution of this factor in society seems like a pipe dream on the level of getting rid of money.

I have a feeling police are generally disliked to loathed in most every country. The police in my current country are corrupt as fuck and give no shits about it. Is there any country you all can think of that have model law enforcement?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that tweet is controversial.
Reggie believes the police can change but these past few years have shown that change is only temporary. Reform isn't good enough.

It's better than locking people up or killing them and calling it a day. We're talking about new systems that actually tries to solve the root of societies problems.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
He was like this before probably, but he knew Nintendo would not allow such point of views to be expressed.
When you know that certain opinions are not appreciated, you should also know it's the best to keep them to yourself. If you want to keep up the appearance that is