• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
All of this do make me wonder, could a world without police even exist ?
Logically, it wouldn't be since people would just do whatever they want without thinking about the consequences of hurting others.
But there has to be a in-between ?
the entire NYPD went on strike a couple years ago, and the crime rate actually went down

take from that what you will

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean... why is it even that wrong? I get people are angry at the police over what happened and has happened, but what Reggie says in that tweet to me just seems to concede that we do need the police, and we're looking for things to change. At the end of the day someone has to work for the police and they have to do better, right?

I'm not sure what the issue people have with it is. That he isn't condemning all police generally and saying black lives matter?
His only tweet on the situation isn't to say BLM or praise the protestors but to praise a police chief of one of the worst departments of the nation who has tear gassed protestors, said they would not tear gas protestors and then did it again anyway, covered up their badges to hide identification, maced protestors and reporters including a little girl, arrested people who filmed their brutality and shot rubber bullets at protestors.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
So, I guess it's a good time to point this out. While I am not quite an anarchist myself, Anarchy =/= mad max. Actual anarchists are actually idealists that belive humanity is more than capable organizing itself without the need for vertical hierarchy and government, and in fact would be for the better. You can't be an anarchist if you actually believe that people just devololve into fallout raiders en masse.

Anarchists have gotten the worst PR over the course of last few generations and are completely misrepresented.

Trust me, i wish life was fairytale too but that cannot happen in America. Way outside the realm of possibility. Especially in this political climate noless. We're more divided than ever

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Also this comes back to don't trust companies and their representatives. We hold people like Reggie on a pedestal because he represents a company that we may like in a positive or "cool" way but his job is to present that positive public facing image. Nobody here actually knows the real Reggie. I'm not saying he is a bad dude but we definitely shouldn't vouch for him being a good guy either unless someone personally knows him.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
His only tweet on the situation isn't to say BLM or praise the protestors but to praise a police chief of one of the worst departments of the nation who has tear gassed protestors, said they would not tear gas protestors and then did it again anyway, covered up their badges to hide identification, maced protestors and reporters including a little girl, arrested people who filmed their brutality and shot rubber bullets at protestors.
I see. Yeah, it's a shame he takes that side.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you see this and your honest reaction is "I don't see how this is controversial", you haven't been paying attention.

Reggie, shut the fuck up.

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020
User Banned (3 Months): Inflammatory False Equivalence Around Racism and Police Brutality
Pathetic how some people think policewomen and policemen, protesters are ONE entity...

you are generalizing, not all policemen are violent,...everybody is HUMAN before all and some humans are assholes, others are real heroes, rehardless of their profession or if they are protesting or not.

what's controversial here ? Voicing support for ONE policewoman ? Really ?
if you want to hate all policemen and/or protesters and start to stereotype and generalize you are not that far from those crazy racists...think about it.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
My thing is this. Actions speak louder than words and always will. I'd love to think that most police are good hearted individuals but after this week, I'm convinced thats a small minority and there needs to be a massive structural change for police to actually be better.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Trust me, i wish life was fairytale too but that cannot happen in America. Way outside the realm of possibility. Especially in this political climate noless. We're more divided than ever

"It's just a fairy tale" without proper elaborating is alwyas a response. The current system isn't some force of nature that was always there. All systems are built, over time. And none of them are necessarily entitled to stay around forever. Some people are fine with being in it for the long game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic how some people think policewomen and policemen, protesters are ONE entity...

you are generalizing, not all policemen are violent,...everybody is HUMAN before all and some humans are assholes, others are real heroes, rehardless of their profession or if they are protesting or not.

what's controversial here ?
And those individual humans in the police have the choice to go against the abusive cops and not still stand with them.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I mean... why is it even that wrong? I get people are angry at the police over what happened and has happened, but what Reggie says in that tweet to me just seems to concede that we do need the police, and we're looking for things to change. At the end of the day someone has to work for the police and they have to do better, right?

I'm not sure what the issue people have with it is. That he isn't condemning all police generally and saying black lives matter?
He's praising the chief of SPD. Look what's been going on with SPD recently, some receipts have been shared in this thread. Couldn't have picked worse time to back up his friend, when her goons are assaulting people, including kids. If she's talking against police brutality, she should be speaking bit louder. I'm not hearing it over all this tear gas, rubber bullets, and flashbangs flying around.

Last edited:

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
"It's just a fairy tale" without proper elaborating is alwyas a response. The current system isn't some force of nature that was always there. All systems are built, over time. And none of them are necessarily entitled to stay around forever. Some people are fine with being in it for the long game.
No ones arguing that. Im all for change and replacing our current police forces with a better alternative would be a good first step. I just dont view anarchy as "progress" Sorry :/

Thats like evolving backwards

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if you want to hate all policemen and/or protesters and start to stereotype and generalize you are not that far from those crazy racists...think about it.
You put a group of assholes and good people in a highly toxic, violent, racist, corrupt environment.

- Some of the good people get influenced by the shit
- Some of them quit
- Some of them voice their complaints and get thrown out
- You no longer have good people in that environment.

And this isn't "just one policewoman", but the head of a department caught up in some of the worst shit of the past week.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So, I guess it's a good time to point this out. While I am not quite an anarchist myself, Anarchy =/= mad max. Actual anarchists are actually idealists that belive humanity is more than capable organizing itself without the need for vertical hierarchy and government, and in fact would be for the better. You can't be an anarchist if you actually believe that people just devololve into fallout raiders en masse.

Anarchists have gotten the worst PR over the course of last few generations and are completely misrepresented.

Indeed, here's a good article on that:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so you can look past his fascism because he does some neat video games related work.

Come on.
Do you negate helping kids in poverty because it's done so via video games? I don't.

Anyone, I don't look past anything. The police force being bad has been abundantly clear to me since I was like 13. The history was there, the news articles were there, it was all easy to spot if you cared enough about police brutality to look into it, or just talk to anyone from the previous generation that lived through the Civil Rights movement. What was obvious to me, wasn't to most of my peers. If I wrote off everyone who didn't agree with me at the time, I'd not have a single friend. I'd be willing to bet most people here weren't screaming ACAB in 1999, even though they should have been.

As I said, Reggie seems to have good intentions to me. There are a lot of people that want to change the status quo by seeing leadership in the police force drive that change. I don't think this is an evil stance to take, just an incorrect one. Like I said, I don't agree with Reggie.

So yeah, I don't label people that easily and write them off based on misguidance.

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020
And those individual humans in the police have the choice to go against the abusive cops and not still stand with them.

100% agree. But how.

quit your job ? How are you going to feed your family.

maybe the problem is higher up, one need to be able to report abuses anonymously if needed and more control and monitoring of the behaviors of people representing the law...there is NO framework for thzt, once you get your badge you are protected up to a point imho and that needs to change.

but just saying all X or Y are like that, often it's counterproductive

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Yes, hating the police, a voluntary job, is totally comparable to racism against black people, who are born black, being kidnapped, enslaved, terrorized, marginalized, systematically oppressed, and killed for centuries.

A voluntary job dedicated to propping up our broken and evil criminal justice and prison system.

Meanwhile black people just exist and have to beg to be treated as a human being.

All cops are bastards.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Threadwhining in a sensitive thread. Community generalizations. Long history of severe infractions.
This board is a bunch of people trying to identify the hive mind and follow it. What the fuck is this thread? Someone did something maybe controversial and it needs a thread? This is barely about gaming.

This is not a thread of discussion. It is a thread for aligning judgments.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Appreciate you taking the time to post this, Hentailover.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I get the feeling you're the type that says "I don't see color" or some such nonsense. As such I don't feel the need to repeat what ACAB and BLM are, but I surely know by going #notallcops you are part of the problem and you enable the fascism to reduce first amendment rights that we're seeing across the country. You should be ashamed.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you dont have the "integrity" or "courage" to not tear gas, harass and kill innocent people youre still a piece of shit
We all need to have integrity and courage to oppose racism. Whether you're police officer, or an educator, or just an ordinary person with a desk job.

We all need to have courage to say "this is wrong" when we see it, regardless of the consequences.

Actively opposing such behavior is every person's job. There is no "taking orders" when it comes to this.

No one gets a pass. The change needs to be systemic.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This board is a bunch of people trying to identify the hive mind and follow it. What the fuck is this thread? Someone did something maybe controversial and it needs a thread? This is barely about gaming.

It is a thread about a famous gaming spokesperson saying something controversial during an important time in history. GTFO of the thread.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is this "controversial"? Reggie is objectively being wrong here.
SPD has been trying to brand this as a "protester violence" problem, instead of looking at systemic issues. Additionally, how the fuck can anyone trust police to fix themselves. Giving a glowing review of certain black officers within SPD might as well be like saying "things won't change."

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

"Someone", "maybe controversial". If you feel the thread isn't even needed, do you still need to post in it?

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
i think some of the posters are putting a lot of words into his tweet that he dosent convey, its a pretty simple tweet though he is obviously trying to vouch for cops he knows. a lot of people do know officers/leaders in law enforcement and will express support for some of them, your going to have to dig a bit deeper at times in the debate than just referring to ACAB as a blanket statement. getting larger change or really cleaning out a hyper local institution like your police department will require it, especially on a leadership level where your not going to push everyone out.

while i agree in large that his statement should be called out, SM with posts like this have too often become about yelling the person down until they are quiet. that dosent change that persons opinion or get them to do anything about it. if you can have a conversation about it, its better to try and gain more understanding of the problem.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
User Banned (3 Months): Inflammatory False Equivalence Around Racism and Police Brutality
Now is not the time to defend any cop, no. Especially not a police chief that used teargas despite being told not to do so.

Fuck 12.
Ok look, this is a ridiculous statement. Obviously there are huge issues with the police and there are a lot of criminals. But to paint every single cop in the world with the same brush is not less bigotry than you're accusing them of.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm not a cop and I manage to feed my family.
This. As a cop you should either be looking for a job that isn't being a cop or working to change the system and calling out the bullshit that's happening. How many cops have we seen trying to de-escalate the situation right now through change? How many cops have we seen jumping in front of the rubber bullets, batons and tear gas? How many cops have we seen publicly posting solutions to the broken system?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Ok look, this is a ridiculous statement. Obviously there are huge issues with the police and there are a lot of criminals. But to paint every single cop in the world with the same brush is not less bigotry than you're accusing them of.

No actually. Saying an acronym isn't the same as killing people. Nice try though.

If I wanted to read or watch a fascist enabling fowl I'd just watch a Trump press conference.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Seattle PD sending cruiser fleets out to apprehend protesters at their homes as retribution; holding without bail

57 members of Buffalo police riot response team resign from assignment in support of fellow cops suspended for critically injuring elderly man

Cheers erupt as suspended Buffalo police officers Robert McCabe and Aaron Torgalski leave the courthouse office

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
i think some of the posters are putting a lot of words into his tweet that he dosent convey, its a pretty simple tweet though he is obviously trying to vouch for cops he knows. a lot of people do know officers/leaders in law enforcement and will express support for some of them, your going to have to dig a bit deeper at times in the debate than just referring to ACAB as a blanket statement. getting larger change or really cleaning out a hyper local institution like your police department will require it, especially on a leadership level where your not going to push everyone out.

while i agree in large that his statement should be called out, SM with posts like this have too often become about yelling the person down until they are quiet. that dosent change that persons opinion or get them to do anything about it. if you can have a conversation about it, its better to try and gain more understanding of the problem.
But the cop he knows and mentions by name to praise, is the chief of SPD who are assaulting people. Peaceful protestors at that. What words do you think people are putting into his tweet? Tell me about the great job she and her department are doing right now, please. What have they done to be proud of lately?