• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No one told Rockstar about the Switch until last month and it was too late.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Hilarious explanation. Rockstar should port rdr, gta iv and gta v to switch though.

On the switch - its my least used console ever. Great start with zelda, and mario odyssey was good, but after that we've had nothing but ports and slightly upgraded ports (yes i know I mentioned rockstar porting more titles to the console). I really don't know how switch is selling decently.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 ain't gonna happen but I'd still be down for a GTAV conversion if only to see how the sausage was made.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the Switch's processing power compared to its competitors.

I mean, I get it. He obviously can't say it's because of the hardware differences. Maybe someday with a streaming service.
Graphics can be downgraded, but yeah if the major draw of a game is visuals than it becomes a bit more difficult. I think gta v would work better for its pick up and play nature

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Because it has performance issues in certain areas even on PS4? Even Panic Button couldn't make that port happen, lol.

GTA V Switch needs to happen though. That is some serious money being left on the table.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Hilarious explanation. Rockstar should port rdr, gta iv and gta v to switch though.

On the switch - its my least used console ever. Great start with zelda, and mario odyssey was good, but after that we've had nothing but ports and slightly upgraded ports (yes i know I mentioned rockstar porting more titles to the console). I really don't know how switch is selling decently.

Yeah, because Switch sure didn't have Aces, Octopath Traveler, Mario Party, Pokemon, and Smash along with big DLC to their evergreen titles.....

I know it's all taste, but come on 'nothing but ports and slightly upgraded ports'?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the thing about DOOM 2016 is that it was a game that people outright said was impossible to run on the Switch at all until it happened. Then people thought DOOM pushed Switch to its absolute limits, yet Panic Button kept making improvements to it even now, allowing the game to run smoother and the frame rate to be more stable. Add that and its sequel coming to Switch and you can see why 'the Switch can't handled this' is always questionable when the exact same thing was said about DOOM when people talked about back on the old forum.
a game that runs at 60 fps is a whole different thing. by cutting the fps in half, a switch versions becomes possible and something that a publisher may consider. or by having the game run on a scalable engine. for games that run at 30fps even on pro/x consoles, there's not much of a point in even considering a port.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just resize textures and you are good to go. Maybe decrease resolution.
If they could fit DOOM 2016 on the Switch, they can fit Red Dead 2. It'd just be a vastly inferior experience with some SERIOUS graphical compromises.
i hope we're not serious about this? i can't actually tell if this is a joke but yeah. file size is the least of the concerns. the switch simply doesn't have the processing power to run RDR2. which is fine. not every game needs to be on it

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
What's funny is that RDR2 is perfect for streaming. With how slow and deliberate the game is the compromise in latency and visual acuity wouldn't impact playability too much.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I actually want to see this happen now.
Even if it runs horrible I still want to see how far they get. Do it, Rockstar!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the thing about DOOM 2016 is that it was a game that people outright said was impossible to run on the Switch at all until it happened. Then people thought DOOM pushed Switch to its absolute limits, yet Panic Button kept making improvements to it even now, allowing the game to run smoother and the frame rate to be more stable. Add that and its sequel coming to Switch and you can see why 'the Switch can't handled this' is always questionable when the exact same thing was said about DOOM when people talked about back on the old forum.

We're still comparing a linear game to a complex open world. Yes, in theory even RDR2 is possible, but they'd probably have to tone down the AI, the viewing distances adding the good old PS2 era fog (see Morrowind) or some other unelegant solution, tone down the graphics beyond what the engine was supposed to be ever used in basically, and that's without even thinking about the file sizes when games like GTAV last-gen were already struggling to fit on the X360 discs. Any game is, in theory, possible to port. But whereas porting Doom mainly required major graphical downgrades, porting something like RDR2 would require major dialing down to the actual gameplay and world building, to the point where Rockstar may think that in order to make it run at an acceptable rate they'd have to effectively take away what makes RDR2 the game it is. Happy to be proven wrong, but I honestly would not expect such games on the Switch. Even GTAV is not a given because they'd likely have to go back to the last-gen version they abandoned years ago - but hey, that game ran (with compromises) on last-gen hardware so that one could work I guess. But RDR2? I don't see it happening.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a game that runs at 60 fps is a whole different thing. by cutting the fps in half, a switch versions becomes possible and something that a publisher may consider. or by having the game run on a scalable engine. for games that run at 30fps even on pro/x consoles, there's not much of a point in even considering a port.

So you say that Crash trilogy cant be ported to Switch ? Damn, what a shame.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
If RDR2 was built with the Switch in mind, it would run on the system, that's all Reggie is saying really. Obviously they built RDR2 with the Xbox as the weakest system and that's why it wouldn't run on the Switch. I also imagine downports for open world games are much more difficult to develop than linear shooters such as Doom.

This is so obvious, it's painful that people here can't understand what he's saying or just refuse to listen.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Except again, people on the old forum mocked the idea of DOOM ever happening on the Switch at all, not just a downgrade version. Heck, we had the people at DF wondered how Panic Button was going to get Wolf 2 working on Switch given how demanding it was on the base PS4 and Xbox One and how that would pushed Switch to its limits. And Panic Button still managed to improved Wolf 2 with patches.

Not saying that RD2 is possible on the Switch, I don't think it is given the overall demand, but it always come off that Switch is underestimated and people keep acting shocked when it pulls off games that was deemed 'impossible'. Then again, this same forum though Switch could barely run FighterZ for some reason until the port happened.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that didn't seem like a very demanding game even on ps4/xbo. not really comparable with a huge open world graphical showcase.
crash would have probably been 60fps even on base ps4/xbo if the dev wanted it to be. it's not more demanding than odyssey and that runs at 60 fps.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that didn't seem like a very demanding game even on ps4/xbo. not really comparable with a huge open world graphical showcase.
crash would have probably been 60fps even on base ps4/xbo if the dev wanted it to be. it's not more demanding than odyssey and that runs at 60 fps.

Thats the point. not because a game is 30 fps means that it is impossible to port, Its not that simple. Red dead and other games cant be ported, but is not just becuase they are 30 fps on the other consoles.

Elderly Parrot

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I think what he is trying to say is Agent is going to be a switch exclusive so there's no need

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is so obvious, it's painful that people here can't understand what he's saying or just refuse to listen.

I think most do understand, but I think it's too easy to mocked Reggie's words. Like Capcom stated that the reason why MHW wasn't on the Switch was mostly because they didn't really know what the Switch was and what it could do before the game was long in development and they didn't want to downport.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Crash trilogy is different, the game maxes out the gpu rather than the cpu. Handling that isnt much of an issue because you can just downsize textures, lower some graphic based settings, drop resolution etc and it will work.
Red dead however maxes out both the cpu and gpu, and decreasing cpu load is much harder, because that to decrease cpu load you need to change the fundemental game, drop view distance to nothing, add ps2 fog, make NPCs dumb as fuck, and even then the game will most likely drop to below 20fps at the moment that you enter a town due to geometry complexity. Its just not worth it to port a full open world game to the switch, both because its hell for the porting team, and you wouldnt even enjoy the downgradathon that will be red dead redemption 2 switch.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats the point. not because a game is 30 fps means that it is impossible to port, Its not that simple. Red dead and other games cant be ported, but is not just becuase they are 30 fps on the other consoles.
you're right. it's not correct to say that as a general rule, if a game runs at 30 fps on other consoles then a switch port is impossible.
but it's safe to say the "AAA, pretty, huge open world games that run at 30 fps on ps4/xbo" are very unlikely to be coming to switch.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...he's not wrong. He's just leaving out the part where even if the Switch conversation had begun 8 years ago, RDR2 still wouldn't be on it because Rockstar wouldn't have hamstrung it to cram it onto such weak hardware. Switch will likely get a port of the Xbox 360 version of GTA5 and that'll be that.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crash trilogy is different, the game maxes out the gpu rather than the cpu. Handling that isnt much of an issue because you can just downsize textures, lower some graphic based settings, drop resolution etc and it will work.
Red dead however maxes out both the cpu and gpu, and decreasing cpu load is much harder, because that to decrease cpu load you need to change the fundemental game, drop view distance to nothing, add ps2 fog, make NPCs dumb as fuck, and even then the game will most likely drop to below 20fps at the moment that you enter a town due to geometry complexity. Its just not worth it to port a full open world game to the switch, both because its hell for the porting team, and you wouldnt even enjoy the downgradathon that will be red dead redemption 2 switch.

I know that Red dead is almost impossible to port to the switch, but that was not my point, my point was this.

Not because a game is 30 fps means that it is impossible to port, Its not that simple. Red dead and other games cant be ported, but is not just becuase they are 30 fps on the other consoles.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I know Reggie has already dispelled this and such, but with all the Switch revision rumors, my initial hope was for increased focus on streaming -- yeah, western infrastructure I get it, but Google is pulling it off just fine in Chrome for those who do happen to have the connection speed. I'd love the option to stream stuff like Red Dead 2 on Switch.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're right. it's not correct to say that as a general rule, if a game runs at 30 fps on other consoles theb a switch port is impossible.
but it's safe to say the "AAA, pretty, huge open world games that run at 30 fps on ps4/xbo" are very unlikely to be coming to switch.

This, I agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Just a random video on YouTube. Can't say it runs great, but it's just the most demanding game on the market, and it needs an XBOX One X to run at anything resembling 1080p30.
Red Dead 2 would naturally be a lot better than this, considering it's actually optimized.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a matter of downporting, I imagine we'll get a GTAV+RDR2 collection on Switch sometime next year.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The people on this forum never cease to amaze me on how accurate they can determine whats PR speak but then take it word for word as gospel. LOL

You simply can't predict when they take an exec at their word or when they think it's PR speak.

I mean, this is obviously PR speak. Reggie is not going to publicly say "Our console isn't powerful enough to run this game" and why in god's name would anyone expect him to? Honestly, shame on Hollywood Reporter for asking such a dumb question.

His answer was actually pretty clever under the circumstances.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Japan had Resident Evil 7, so there you go, it can be done it's just have to Possibly be streaming is all.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People also need to remember that the game needs to run in handheld mode.

No way in hell this ever gets on switch and is remotely comparable to the PS4/XB1 versions.

I'm still shocked that Doom Eternal and MK11 are making it on there, but one's a level based shooter and the other a fighting game. Not a huge open world game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
People also need to remember that the game needs to run in handheld mode.

No way in hell this ever gets on switch and is remotely comparable to the PS4/XB1 versions.

I'm still shocked that Doom Eternal and MK11 are making it on there, but one's a level based shooter and the other a fighting game. Not a huge open world game.

As has been pointed out, they actually can if they chose to stream it like AC Odyssey. And what's so shocking about MK11?