• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a Republican. If you like a particular political party it doesn't mean you agree with everything the party does. I'm sure there are Republicans who feel the same way about Guns as liberals do.

I agree that you can be affiliated with a party, and not agree with them on everything. But these days I don't know a single Republican that isn't spouting the same regurgitated far right bullshit. And Fox News is leading the way, hand in hand with the POTUS.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
People will forget way too soon about this until next time and the exactly same discussion will be brought up until people will forget again. This will probably not end well.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I don't understand why this is even a discussion. If you arm the public with weapons that can kill people at the drop of a hat of course it's going to lead to many deaths over the course of a year. It's not rocket science.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't understand why this is even a discussion. If you arm the public with weapons that can kill people at the drop of a hat of course it's going to lead to many deaths over the course of a year. It's not rocket science.
They know. But this is what happens when the NRA and gun lobbyists get in the pockets of politicians who can be swayed to prevent any actionable change in American gun ownership laws, and you have a deeply engrained culture that will defend this shit.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They know. But this is what happens when the NRA and gun lobbyists get in the pockets of politicians who can be swayed to prevent and actionable change in American gun ownership laws, and you have a deeply engrained culture that will defend this shit.
Besides those direct cultural barriers, I also think there's a significant indirect one in that you've got a powerful movement to treat several legal documents as immutable, nigh-sacred texts, even the one that has received several famous additions.

Like, the same bill of rights that shuts down attempts at hate speech laws also forms the justification for gun culture. I don't think that connection is lost on originalists.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a Republican. If you like a particular political party it doesn't mean you agree with everything the party does. I'm sure there are Republicans who feel the same way about Guns as liberals do.

Gun laws have nothing to do with being a republican? do you pay much attention to USA politics?

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
now, i dont mean to belittle the seriousness of gun crime and the pain the families of those affected must be goign through, it is truly terrible. and Reggie is right, as has been echoed throughout the gaming community: video games are all over the world and its only America that seemingly has this problem.

But how the hell are politicians willing to point the finger at video games and somehow find a relationship between gun crime/shootouts and video games, but somehow feel gambling addiction and current gamign strategies (loot boxes etc) has no correlation?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't aware that gun violence is relatively high in Canada as well, also didn't expect the UK to be so much lower than e.g. Italy.
Gun violence is hardly a topic in western / central Europe anyway (terrorist attacks in France aside).

Thank you Reggie btw.

It's actually a statistic that only tells a small part of the story. The vast majority of gun deaths in Italy are perpetrated by criminal organizations, Camorra and 'Ndrangheta on top. Naples is the homicide's capital of Italy and that is because of the Camorra's war for territory.

In reality, violent deaths in Italy have a lower average than EU which is 1.0 deaths per 100.000 inhabitants while Italy's is about 0.7 per 100k people, much lower than UK's to name one. For reference, Naples' at 1.0 homicides per 100k, which would be equal to UK's.

Countries ranked by homicides every 100.000 people:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But how the hell are politicians willing to point the finger at video games and somehow find a relationship between gun crime/shootouts and video games, but somehow feel gambling addiction and current gamign strategies (loot boxes etc) has no correlation?

Generally speaking, american politics (particular republican politics) aren't about any kind of logic/reason, they're about emotion and what sounds like it could be reasonable to someone who already wants to justify their existing stance. There is no interest whatsoever in facts/logic/reasoning/truth -- at all. You just have to accept that and let it go

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I thought 4% of Americans holding 43% of guns was out of whack, but its actually 43% of guns in the entire world being owned by just Americans. Holy Shit!

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I will never understand how a contry allows civillians to purchase assault rifles or a SMG's, it makes no sense at all. Here in Spain the only weapons you can buy are the ones designed for sports (olympic shooting) or hunting and the procedure needed to have one is incredibly complicated.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful story, I didn't watch the game awards was not aware of this.
Good on the Canadian Government, and good on Reggie for speaking up in this case regarding the shooting.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
There's probably a little bit to be said about countries were hyper violent FPS games are highly popular. It's not unreasonable to say that they may not be the healthiest thing for people to be playing for hours on end, particularly those who may already have mental illness/issues, suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. Ultimately though video games, and other mediums with certain highly violent high profile genres/releases, are really low on the list of things to investigate and address when it comes to gun violence, or violent behavior in general.

If after we've dealt with gun laws, significantly de-armed the population, put serious money into mental health care and medical care in general, curtailed hate speech and radicalization online, etc., and we still have severe problems with gun violence and mass shootings, then sure lets take a look at the media we are consuming.
Dude I suffer from depression and anxiety. I play the "violent games" the only time I ever feel homicidal rage is toward animal abusers but would I go out there and act out any violent actions the chance is 0

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Dude I suffer from depression and anxiety. I play the "violent games" the only time I ever feel homicidal rage is toward animal abusers but would I go out there and act out any violent actions the chance is 0
I am the same. And the only time *I* feel any kind of homicidal rage is when I think about the people who abused me when I was younger, causing me to be the way I am.

I would never randomly go out and seek to harm people. Especially because I know what its like. Just doesn't make sense to me that people think someone like me would. You know?

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I mean why treat this like a console war thing when Reggie isn't even at Nintendo anymore

If he still would work for Nintendo he he would not twittered this.
For some reason, I had this unfounded fear that Reggie might be a hard Republican. Glad he's speaking up about this.

It was clear from the beginning that Reggie has more than three brain cells, so it's very unlikely for him being a republican.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019
I will never understand how a contry allows civillians to purchase assault rifles or a SMG's, it makes no sense at all. Here in Spain the only weapons you can buy are the ones designed for sports (olympic shooting) or hunting and the procedure needed to have one is incredibly complicated.

Portugal as well, for you to own a weapon you need soo much stuff and pay soo much money that is really not worth it unless you really love the sport or hunting.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they're not ill-informed. They're purposely lying to try to distract from what they know are actual problems but refuse to take responsibility for or do anything about.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reggie is still kicking ass and taking names.

I like his facts are facts outlier but I would also like to see a breakdown of games sold in each country that have gun violence in them.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Tell me when you meet one.

Anyway

That's literally a screenshot with a written quote on a randos Twitter. I can't find any other source of that jackass saying a quote that fucking dumb.

This is likely fake. The truth is enough for us to be angry. Is there a better source for this quote?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good on Reggie. He probably couldn't have made a comment if he was still employed by Nintendo.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I get what they want to do, but comparing revenue 2019 to violent crimes 2017 doesn't do anything...
It's measuring how much people spend on video-games in specific countries and directly compares it to the amount of violent gun deaths in each one of them. If video games are equally - or even more - popular in other countries, how come they have an staggeringly lower number of violent gun deaths?

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
The US needs to change their laws so only hand guns are legal. There is no reason for people to own anything more powerful to protect themselves. They love blaming games, films etc but if they did not have access to assault rifles and semi automatics these type of incidents will cause less deaths.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Regginator setting records straight. You just can't hate the man. <3

Except for pro gun, butthurt, truth and fact deniers fragile bitchass dummies ofc.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
The US needs to change their laws so only hand guns are legal. There is no reason for people to own anything more powerful to protect themselves. They love blaming games, films etc but if they did not have access to assault rifles and semi automatics these type of incidents will cause less deaths.

As a non-US citizen, I still find it totally alien to me considering carrying even a pistol to 'protect' myself. To protect yourself from what particular threat etc?

This isn't a pop at you however; just creating a topic of discussion.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
18a.jpg

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
That's literally a screenshot with a written quote on a randos Twitter. I can't find any other source of that jackass saying a quote that fucking dumb.

This is likely fake. The truth is enough for us to be angry. Is there a better source for this quote?
Yeah if it's fake it shouldn't be getting spread, it just makes it look like anti-gun people are untrustworthy and fabricating things in order to push their argument.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
As a non-US citizen, I still find it totally alien to me considering carrying even a pistol to 'protect' myself. To protect yourself from what particular threat etc?

This isn't a pop at you however; just creating a topic of discussion.

I'm not American. I don't understand it either but think its more likely to pass a law reducing to a handgun than making all guns illegal (although I think there is no change of anything happening). I think if it was limited to hand guns you should only be able to keep it in your house to protect from intruders and should never be allowed to take it out in public.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out Reggie's been very consistent on his anti-weapon policy. If you want to kick someone's ass, apparently your bare hands are the best weapon you can get