• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017

Always that one person.. STICK TO WHAT YOU'RE GOOD AT, NEVER COMMENT ON ANYTHING ELSE

DWmOp1A_d.jpg

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
There's probably a little bit to be said about countries were hyper violent FPS games are highly popular. It's not unreasonable to say that they may not be the healthiest thing for people to be playing for hours on end, particularly those who may already have mental illness/issues, suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. Ultimately though video games, and other mediums with certain highly violent high profile genres/releases, are really low on the list of things to investigate and address when it comes to gun violence, or violent behavior in general.

If after we've dealt with gun laws, significantly de-armed the population, put serious money into mental health care and medical care in general, curtailed hate speech and radicalization online, etc., and we still have severe problems with gun violence and mass shootings, then sure lets take a look at the media we are consuming.
good post.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a Republican. If you like a particular political party it doesn't mean you agree with everything the party does. I'm sure there are Republicans who feel the same way about Guns as liberals do.
Tell me when you meet one.

Anyway

Edit: pretty clearly fake bc lack of evidence, just thought it was funny my b

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I love Reggie. Glad he's being vocal about this.

But facts don't work anymore. They haven't for a while, now.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
It baffles me that after all these shootings literally every person can still have access to a gun. Blaming video games is just sickening and a lie. But it's all about the Benjamin's. Young lives destroyed with the squeeze of a trigger.

Good for him for telling the truth. A pixel on a screen doesn't end lives. It's could be harmful when the person viewing does not have enough cognitive capabilities to see a game for what it is. But you still need bullets and guns to go on a murder spree. No more access, no more shootings.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i like it that he is defending his former industry even after he retired! and yes violent video games may have effects but gun accessibility has way more effects

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
How about those Canada numbers, how are the gun laws in Canada?

Basically:
  • You need a license (gained through gun safety training and a background check) to own any guns.
  • Handguns and semiautomatics need to be registered.
  • You can't carry guns outside without a good reason (e.g. you're a police officer and you've been issued one).
I think that's it. I'm sure there are more rules for specific cases.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's sad that facts mean very little to the people who jump to these easy scapegoats. Easier to blame a video game than to consider giving civilians access to deadly weapons might not be a good idea.

Boggles the mind, honestly, the lengths people will go to defend and justify what they want.

Well done to Reggie, always a legend.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
If Reggie actually ran for president there would be a massive surge of young voters

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There's probably a little bit to be said about countries were hyper violent FPS games are highly popular. It's not unreasonable to say that they may not be the healthiest thing for people to be playing for hours on end, particularly those who may already have mental illness/issues, suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. Ultimately though video games, and other mediums with certain highly violent high profile genres/releases, are really low on the list of things to investigate and address when it comes to gun violence, or violent behavior in general.

If after we've dealt with gun laws, significantly de-armed the population, put serious money into mental health care and medical care in general, curtailed hate speech and radicalization online, etc., and we still have severe problems with gun violence and mass shootings, then sure lets take a look at the media we are consuming.
"Hyper violent FPS games" are extremely popular everywhere yet the US is literally the only developed country where this shit happens regularly.

Hell, it isn't even the only country with both that AND guns. We have guns in Spain too. As far as I know guns can be legally owned in the UK and Canada as well.

It's not about videogames and it's not about "guns or no guns", it's about having sane gun legislation. About a system of gun control that keeps guns in the hands of people who actually have a good reason to have them (sport shooters is one example) and who can reasonably demonstrate on a semi-regular basis they're not fucking nuts.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I don't know why this reply made me laugh so hard. Might be seeing it randomly come from a blue checkmark.

In my head I just imagine Reggie on stage and on one side of the crowd one dudes tells him to stick to games and some other random dude in the theatre yells out to the other guy to shut the fuck up.

My in head lore gave me quite the chuckle.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The sad thing for the USA is that there is such a proliferation of weapons that, even if the most stringent of gun laws were brought in, it would probably be decades before any change had an appreciable effect. And in the interim, while guns were still everywhere, every time there was a mass shooting (post-gun law changes), and that would still be often, you'd have the NRA screaming that clearly the gun laws didn't work and should be changed back.

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
*America after banning violent videogames, clearing up illegal drug problems nationwide, sorting out the economy, healthcare, poverty, literally addressing every societal issue but the fact that you can just go buy a gun*

"Why are we still seeing mass shootings?"

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
If the chart can somehow be narrowed down to "Shooting video game revenue per person", it'll be even more convincing. I'm sure US will still top it.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't aware that gun violence is relatively high in Canada as well, also didn't expect the UK to be so much lower than e.g. Italy.
Gun violence is hardly a topic in western / central Europe anyway (terrorist attacks in France aside).

Thank you Reggie btw.
I vaguely recall that suicide being included in gun violence is one of the reasons why Canada's is higher than you'd expect. Canada also has way more guns than Canadians tend to think - there are a lot of the in rural areas and not so much in urban ones.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Common sense and something the rest of the world is very aware of. Bizarre and frightening to see so many American replies to his tweet disagreeing that gun access is the problem.

But great to see Reggie using his platform to speak out and not pull any punches on such an important issue.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fantastic to see reggie posting the hard facts. all game companies should do it too, and don't tolerate video games being blamed every time when we all know the real reason.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So the US owns nearly half the worlds guns......fuck me,I knew it was bad over there......but not that bad.
Banning guns in the US is about as likely as banning tea drinking over here in the UK....in other words....it ain't gonna happen.