• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I get the feeling this is a good business move for him. But it's pretty surprising lol

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
People often sit on multiple boards, or have other jobs in addition to sitting on a board of directors.

Don't think this means he's left his other job or anything, probably just getting paid handsomely to sit on the gamestop board. And for Gamestop it makes sense as he's a name that might bring more respectability for investors.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamstop is a ticking time bomb!
0sSf9r7.gif

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
He doesn't really have anything to lose - he's on the Board, acting in an advisory capacity. If he succeeds, GameStop may reverse some of its problems. If he fails, he gave it a go and goes back to lecturing and being paid large fees to appear at events.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If retirement doesn't suit him and he wants to go back to work I kind of wish he would go back to Nintendo.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goes without saying, but in America the only reason an old exec signs at a dying company is because they either make millions for riding it out until they get real old, or they are ready to bank on the inevitable millions in contract buyout the board has to pay the exec when the company sinks anyway. Reggie likely knows he can't save GameStop, and when it collapses, he won't care like any exec. He will get his millions in an instant and the employees get laid off with nothing to help. Not his fault it's like this, but that's what this is in America. The golden parachutes. He took this job because he actually will be among a board that will take millions and say they have NO responsibility for the failure to justify it. Win win for execs like him. We all know GameStop has lay-offs coming and it won't hurt the execs to sign up.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting move.

Go from Nintendo at the top of their game, to a company at the very much opposite.
Good luck Reggie, I think you're gonna need it. I hope you turn the ship around

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given Nintendo's eCommerce / online approach feels about 15 years behind the times, I am not sure this is a great get.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's like Phil Harrison leaving Sony to join Atari all over again.

I wish Reggie the best of luck. I've no doubt he'll be getting paid a lot of money for the privilege and will have his finger hovering over the ejector seat button to jump out just before it crashes.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He was around for the Wii U. He's been under more stress than this.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Reggie joins board

Kicks Ass Takes Names

Uses contacts to arrange sale of still profitable stores to Nintendo

Stores rebranded to Nintendo Store USA

Retires again with even more money

Avacyn

Jan 14, 2020
I dislike GameStop but I wish Reggie the best of luck. Hopefully he can turn things around for the company.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Can a mod or the OP update this thread a bit? So many people are still not getting it. Board members help shape a company's role, but they're not necessarily involved in a day to day to role at the company. Many are not. He's not becoming the CEO or the President.. he, along with a few other new board members, are going to try and help them get back on track while they maybe still can.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It's super common for retired Chief Execs to end up on a bunch of corporate boards of companies in related industries. Being on a board is a cushy part time job. Even for a failing company. He'll probably just vote on some acquisition offers or be used as a relationship bridge, etc. Certainly nothing shocking or wtf worthy here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hey, he either gets payed on the way out, or he gets payed, saves the company and then gets payed even more.

For him it's a win-win