• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which climax was your favorite?

• I. The Phantom Menace -- Duel of the Fates/Attack on the Droid Control Ship/Battle of Naboo

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • III. Revenge of the Sith -- Obi-Wan vs Anakin/Yoda vs Palpatine

Votes: 83 11.2%
  • IV. A New Hope -- Attack on the Death Star

Votes: 81 10.9%
  • V. The Empire Strikes Back -- Escape from Cloud City/Luke vs Darth Vader

Votes: 156 21.1%
  • VI. Return of the Jedi -- Battle on Endor/Death Star II/Luke, Vader and the Emperor

Votes: 282 38.1%
  • VIII. The Last Jedi -- Battle at Crait/Luke confronts Kylo Ren/Poe learns to be a leader

Votes: 97 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 20 2.7%

• Total voters

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
While TROS isn't a good movie, and the climax should have been much better, there exists in the movie a certain baseline of drama because of talented actors who sell the characters' emotional beats. TPM and AOTC are drama-less with ROTS being the only prequel having some pathos because the ending is a lead-in to a beloved story. But did anyone REALLY care about those characters?

TROS is far better acted, but I would strongly disagree about the movie not being drama-less. It makes anti-dramatic choices at nearly every turn, undercutting things with mounds of exposition, undermining potentially dramatic twists mere scenes later and then ignoring all the potential character drama that could come from it. The climax is so inert because Ben's sudden and improbably flip to the light isn't even explored (does he even have *any* dialogue in the back half of the movie), the whole palpatine thing is just convoluted plot nonsense that actively weakened Rey as a character, and there wasn't even any satisfying action to satisfy on a purely visceral level.

The prequels all have terrible dialogue and wooden acting, but at the very least stuff like revenge of the sith at least attempts to satisfy a dramatic arc that has been developed over the movies, and tries to stage things in ways that progress and have the characters doing stuff beyond a flacid and static confrontation with a subpar plot device. It's a low, low bar but TROS didn't even satisfy that criteria.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm gunna go with ESB. ROTJ would be there but it ends way too lightly and wraps everything up with a bow.

TLJ is up there and Luke/Crait is some of the very best Star Wars ever written.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I chose ROTJ. Even though TPM is my least favorite of the 9 (yes, I think it's even worse than AOTC) I thought about that one as I really quite like the Darth Maul battle. The music really elevates that scene as well.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
ROTJ is such a perfect climax for the Luke/Vader story. Throne Room is one of the top scenes in the whole saga.

But I'd find it hard to pick one if it wasn't for that. TLJ and ESB have excellent climax, so does ANH and Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn't know which one to pick if it wasn't for the throne room scene in ROTJ

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
RotJ.
The way it cuts between the three threads of the moon surface, space and deathstar interior is brilliant. Especially for it's time.

Duel of the Fates was good, but Anakin vs the droids was bad, so TPM wasn't great.
AotC had ninja Yoda and some cool Jedi fights, but the film was such a confused mess that the ending wasn't satisfying at all.
"I have the higher ground", Sheev vs. parkour ninja Yoda and Padme dying of a broken heart were so silly that RotS was just awful.
ANH was great. The trench run was brilliant. Narrowly loses to RotJ.
ESB was good, but a bit of a downer and clearly just setting up the sequel.
TFA was a bit shit. I had to look at the first post to even remember what happened. Some fight in the snow and then Kylo forgets how to force jump as a chasm slowly and conveniently separates our characters. Finn and Chewie blow up the don't-call-it-a-mk3-deathstar with some explosives after no-one notices them because Han just died or something.
TLJ was very good for Luke's part, and the cinematography for all the scenes on Hoth-but-with-salt was really good (just look at the images in the OP)
Rogue One was a terrible videogame ending, following some really arbitrary McGuffins (you have to climb the tower and plug a thing in and climb another thing and pull a lever) with characters we didn't really care about and lots of deaths that just kinda happened. Then Darth Vader appeared for 30 seconds because you all remember how badass he was, right?
I've not seen Solo or TRoS. Don't really care about them.

If we take the final episode of The Mandalorian as the finale, then that was very good, though there is some serious dissonance in "I think those were the last stormtroopers, we control this planet now" and the previous scenes implying that Grand Moff Gus arrived with a large entourage (what happened to his fleet, since I don't think they all arrived on the one TIE fighter that Mando destroyed). Still, it was cool and Giancarlo Esposito is the best ever casting of a Star Wars bad guy (even if it's a little close to being Gus Fring in SPAAAAACE).

May 26, 2018
Definitely Return of the Jedi. The emotions of Vader testing Luke + a space battle so spectacular and well-executed that it gave birth to my love of the Rebel Alliance.

The ground battle is the weak link, but still has good moments.

Last edited:

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Despite its flaws, the climax of RotJ is why it's my favorite of the entire SW universe. Huge emotional payoff upon conclusion. I also loved seeing the dependency between the space and ground battle; it really upped the excitement for me as a child.

Oct 27, 2017
The throne room in Jedi is hands down the best of Star Wars. Period.

The emotional payoff is so good. Nothing else compares.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Return of the Jedi is a very uneven film in my eyes, but I have to give it this one. The throne room scenes are far and away the best part of the movie.

"whoa the prequels have such cool lightsaber choreography"

Please.

9ic5tz7no3a9.gif

The Last Jedi's was pretty badass as well, and yes, even Rise of Skywalker for how silly and animu it got.

Yep! The Luke vs Vader stuff in ROTJ is the peak of Star Wars for me.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Luke, Vader and the Emperor at the end of ROTJ was well done, even when you factor in the arc of the PT. The ST doesn't really add much to the over all story because so much of it is horribly explained.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
VI is the culmination of fantastic work with Vader and Luke in ESB. The throne room scene with palps, luke and vader is the best scene in all 9 movies. Perfection.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
In terms of climaxes I'd go:

1. ROTJ
  2. ROTS
  3. TLJ
  4. TPM
  5. AOTC
  6. TROS
  7. ANH
  8. ESB
  9. TFA

I rank ESB/ANH so low because they've been parodied and referenced so often that they've lost most of their effect for me. TROS skids by because I want to look at all the ships again.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
  1. Return Of The Jedi - The moment luke starts violently swiminging at vader, the music, the one shot track. All amazing
  2. New Hope: The Attack on the death star is iconic for a reason
  3. Revenge Of The Sith - Anakin Vs Obi, Order 66, Birth of vader and luke and the death of padme with john williams great score. Yoda going into hiding too. All sets it up perfectly.
  4. Empire - A great moment to end on, han captured, leia and luke both making it out by the skin of there teeth.
  5. Rogue One: All the character get great send off, the fightings and cinematography is top notch and the darth vader moment is perfection.
  6. The Last Jedi: Luke coming back, the fight in the throne room and on crete were all super well done.
  7. Phantom Menace - The Maul Fight (the rest of the battles kinda suck) with qui gons death and the mystery surrounding anakin are all done very well
  8. Solo - I actually like the ending. The relationship between han and woody harrelsons character was pretty fun, and I liked Kiras twist ending.
  9. TROS: The states are out the ass stupid, basically just a replica of return of the jedi with so little punch.
  10. Force awakens. Outside Of Han dying which is done really well, its just a new hope again. 0 Points. Plus I actually can't remember that much of it
  11. Attack Of The Clones. Worst movie with the worst end. Jesus this movie sucks

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Last Jedi. Some of the stuff before it was a bit uneven, but the movie's climax in the Throne Room and on Crait is absolute peak Star Wars. I love it. It's the main reason I love it so much.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's ROTJ, even though it's my, well, least favourite movie of the OT.

Luke vs Vader vs the Emperor is the best lightsaber battle.
The Rebel fleet vs the 2nd Death star is the best space battle.

Exciting, quotable, emotionally impactful.

Also, Ewoks...

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Return of the Jedi. That's all executed VERY well. And there's not much to that movie beyond the throne room.

Attack of the Clones has the best ending though with that wedding and that music.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
ROTJ - obvious reasons

ROTS - Anakin vs Obi...yoda vs emp...vader formation with padme death and then the binary sunset. A spectacular sequence only slightly mired by Vader's noooo

ESB tied with TLJ

AOTC gets an honorary mention due to the actual end scene setting up the clone war and the doomed wedding.

The rest are meh

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This poll made me realize that the whole series has really good climaxes, even the movies I'm not a fan of.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
While TROS isn't a good movie, and the climax should have been much better, there exists in the movie a certain baseline of drama because of talented actors who sell the characters' emotional beats. TPM and AOTC are drama-less with ROTS being the only prequel having some pathos because the ending is a lead-in to a beloved story. But did anyone REALLY care about those characters?
ROTS made me care about characters I did not care about previously in Ep I & II

TROS made me stop caring about characters I cared about in VII & VIII

ROTS wins...

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ending if RoTJ is by far the best ending by a technical viewpoint. The sound mixing is incredible. It is a HT reference scene.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's really RotJ for so many reasons such as emotional payoff, cinematography, music, and editing. Luke going ham on Vader is probably the best scene in the franchise.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Empire may be a better overall film than ROTJ, but yeah the Luke/Vader/Emperor segment in ROTJ is the high point of the franchise.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I might have to change my vote to ROTJ from ANH which I said yesterday.

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

is hands down the best line in all of Star Wars, and it's part of the best sequence (throne room, endor, space battle) in the entire saga.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RotS >> RotJ >>>>>>>>>> none of the others come close.

Sith has two fantastic fights both with good emotional moments and a fantastic score. When Duel kicked in during the Yoda/Sideous parts the first time I saw it I lost my shit.

Jedi was the fantastic final duel between Luke and Vader (with, again, great music), the best space battle in the series followed by the Death Star 2 run, and Anakin's moment of redemption. I don't care as much about the Endor stuff but it's still fine and not enough to bring it down much.

I quite like Rise's climax but was let down pretty big by the space battle.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017
honestly speaking i don't really have favorite "climax". i guess if anything i have a favorite moment, and it was when Finn struggled to use the light saber in the force awakens. its the only thing that felt "real" to me.

g6o5MvA.gif