• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We'll see MS releasing a barrage of new IPs next gen. But they've struck gold with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Sea of Thieves, (potentially) Outer Worlds.
If I remember correctly, the IP "Sunset Overdrive" remained with Insomniac, which is now part of Sony, so I don't think Microsoft will be able to exploit that IP beyond backward compatibility of the first game on the new system.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Can you really not understand why games like snipper clips, or ringfit adventure might not share the same appeal to the audience that gets excited for games like Last of Us, God of War, or Ghosts? There is nothing wrong with games with a more casual lean but they aren't going to scratch the same itch that Sony's "prestige" games aim for.

The problem with Microsoft's games are a little different only because outside of their handful of staples (Halo,Gears and Forza) Microsoft hasn't built the reputation for people to have any kind of blind faith that these new ip they are building will be exciting. I'm kind of interested in Rares new game but I hated Sea of thieves and the last game Rare made that I really liked was multiple generations ago. Microsoft has the burden of showing more than telling at this point and it's going to be awhile before they can.

its not like Sony's first party games were always viewed as they are today. It took a long time for Sony to build and curate their first party studios to the point that they consistently put out such a high level of quality.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
64219_8_sony-released-5x-more-ips-2018-microsoft_full.png

That's why. Sony simply launches more new IPs than Nintendo and Microsoft combined.

Also Sony usally puts more money into new IPs. The order, Horizon zero dawn, detroit, Bloodborne, death stranding, ghost of Tsushima are all big budget games that are comparable to their big franchises. They also have smaller new IPs like astro bot, Concrete genie, etc, and that all adds up.

Nintendos biggest new ips this gen so far were arms and astral chain? They obviously aren't comparable in budget to nintendo's big franchises. Splatoon was the last big new IP.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Can you really not understand why games like snipper clips, or ringfit adventure might not share the same appeal to the audience that gets excited for games like Last of Us, God of War, or Ghosts? There is nothing wrong with games with a more casual lean but they aren't going to scratch the same itch that Sony's "prestige" games aim for.

I can see Snipperclips. But games like ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit Adventure would count as bigger "New IPs" from Nintendo even if they aren't quite AAA.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
That's why. Sony simply launches more new IPs than Nintendo and Microsoft combined.

Also Sony usally puts more money into new IPs. The order, Horizon zero dawn, detroit, Bloodborne, death stranding, ghost of Tsushima are all big budget games that are comparable to their big franchises. They also have smaller new IPs like astro bot, Concrete genie, etc, and that all adds up.

When is this graph from?

Nintendos biggest new ips this gen so far were arms and astral chain? They obviously aren't comparable in budget to nintendo's big franchises. Splatoon was the last big new IP.

IMO, who gives a shit how big a game's budget is. Quality is what matters in the end.

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft hasnt proven still that it can deliver the same high quality, genre defining games like sony can, hence the lukewarm response to their endeavours.

I'd argue that Nintendo gets the same recognition, if not more.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sony is like the HBO of 1st party content. MS is like, i dunno, Starz. and nintendo is like some streaming service bespoke particular interests

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
They don't. They're ignored. Too weird, too small, not interesting at all unless the list needs to be made longer for console warring's sake. Kind of the same boat as Ring Fit Adventure and those digital-only indie-like games for Nintendo.

Aren't you the one ignoring them for sake of console warring? I mean in your post you stated

Meanwhile, Nintendo's and Microsoft's new IP cover a wider variety of genre, art style, etc. So when those same people take a look at the lists of Nintendo and Microsoft, they don't see many things they're interested in, and try to validate their personal taste and opinion. It's not that hard.

You basically painted people who like sony games with a large brush and provided a highly personalized excuse that validated your opinion.

But in all honesty, even if you look at enthusiast forums there are people who play multiple consoles and the excitement generated by them basically match aggregated review scores. The most popular games that Sony has on market happen to be single player story based games, that shouldn't take away from the fact that for every generation they also cover the widest amount of genre's with first party and second party titles. Nintendo is up there with Sony in terms of variety but what I think (my opinion of course) turns some people away is a reliance on franchise characters to fuel these forays into different genre's for nintendo. Microsoft was much better last gen in terms of variety and quality but this gen it seems as if quality suffers a bit for new IP's already released while they were shipped alongside established franchises leading to some fatigue (which strangely enough nintendo fans seem to be immune to).

Microsoft simply has to prove themselves with quality of new titles and then this type of topic will be a thing of the past because the average gamer, cares about the quality of titles and only used company brands to save themselves money and time. Starting with their new studios if MS new IP are met with critical acclaim you will see a shift in the way people talk about the companies and how they consume titles.

Microsoft hasnt proven still that it can deliver the same high quality, genre defining games like sony can, hence the lukewarm response to their endeavours.

These two as well.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They've done that with racing genre. Forza Horizon is open world racer king. Genre defining and high selling.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Single player story driven games are what's hot around here. That's the simplest explanation.

But Nintendo does get recognition here.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Snipperclips. But games like ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit Adventure would count as bigger "New IPs" from Nintendo even if they aren't quite AAA.

I don't really remember Arms being received well by very many people and it's a fighting game ,Ringfit adventure (regardless of its quality) is the type of game that would generally be looked at with the same type of indifference as most motion based games are, and as much as I like Astral chain I genuinely believe that many people look down on games with heavy anime aesthetics it's the type of game you could compare to gravity rush from Sony which also doesn't get much attention.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Both Microsoft and Nintendo had a lot of new IPs this gen, so the argument is quite baseless. Still, I don't think anyone can argue that Sony is not the publisher who invests the most in new IPs and even takes risks

S3V8

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
🇬🇧
We'll see MS releasing a barrage of new IPs next gen. But they've struck gold with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Sea of Thieves, (potentially) Outer Worlds.
Actually The Outer Worlds was released by Private Division and has nothing to do with Microsoft. I know the IP is owned by Obsidian and Obsidian is owned by Microsoft now, but still.

64219_8_sony-released-5x-more-ips-2018-microsoft_full.png

This chart is inaccurate. 5 new releases and 2 new IPs for Microsoft in 2019? Let's check.

1. Crackdown 3
2. Gears 5
3. Gears POP!
4. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition

That's it! No new IPs this year, only 4 new releases. I don't count Forza Street, because this is just rebranded re-release from last year's Miami Street.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Creating new IP when it's cheap and therefore safe to do so is easy (Sony made a bunch of new IP specifically designed for VR too, which I would count as safe, because they were low budget projects). What's not common is a publisher giving a triple A budget to a new IP, and putting their top tier developers to work on it instead of the IP they know will sell (like Sony did with Naughty Dog and The Last of Us).

Even when Nintendo did Splatoon they put together a team of "young developers" to do it, which is the safest thing they could have done. Taking their Mario or Zelda teams and putting them to work on new IP would be seen as taking a risk, but Nintendo pretty much never does that.

Microsoft doesn't create new IP period. At best they hire someone else to do it and if it works they buy the studio and make them work on it for all eternity. Hopefully they change in the future with the amount of studios they have now.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually The Outer Worlds was released by Private Division and has nothing to do with Microsoft. I know the IP is owned by Obsidian and Obsidian is owned by Microsoft now, but still.

IIRC Outer Worlds was a big reason Microsoft wanted to buy them. So more like they thought Obsidian had struck gold with the IP and wanted to be part of the gold rush? I dunno, my metaphor is falling apart.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

This chart is inaccurate. 5 new releases and 2 new IPs for Microsoft in 2019? Let's check.

1. Crackdown 3
2. Gears 5
3. Gears POP!
4. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition

That's it! No new IPs this year, only 4 new releases. I don't count Forza Street, because this is just rebranded re-release from last year's Miami Street.

That chart doesn't seem to be from this year you can take a look at source --- Here (gameindustry.biz)

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The blame is on them. They have to send the message and use their market machine to their favor. If they can't make us take them seriously it's their fault. It's not my job as a consumer to do this, I'm not paid for this. They have to convince me to take them seriously.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having spent most of this year seeing some truly unprecedented hostility towards two new IPs introduced by Sony (Days Gone and Death Stranding) I wonder where you're getting this idea from... because it sure can't be from browsing Resetera.

S3V8

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
🇬🇧
IIRC Outer Worlds was a big reason Microsoft wanted to buy them. So more like they thought Obsidian had struck gold with the IP and wanted to be part of the gold rush? I dunno, my metaphor is falling apart.
Fingers crossed for sequel to The Outer Worlds already by Xbox Game Studios 🤞
Hopefully there won't be any problems with publishing rights.

That chart doesn't seem to be from this year you can take a look at source --- Here (gameindustry.biz)
Looks like they're talking about 2019. Some nice data, but – in my opinion – if they want to compare how many games some publisher released this year, they should write somewhere all these titles.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's unfortunate that the folks mentioning sad dads are the same type to get ass sweats whenever they read kiddie game comments

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has largely failed to make any new IP's that had the same traction as Forza/Halo/Gears.

Nintendo's big hitters are still doing so well it's just not as big a deal for them to create new IP. And the ones you listed like Snipperclippers and Ring Fit Adventures will never be taken as seriously as TLOU or Spider-Man lol, come on.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Aren't you the one ignoring them for sake of console warring? I mean in your post you stated

You basically painted people who like sony games with a large brush and provided a highly personalized excuse that validated your opinion.

I've already answered this in the thread:
I meant to say all IP that those console warriors find relevant. I've edited my post. I don't mean to shit on Sony's line-up btw. I was talking about the people that engage in the kind of conversations that the OP is talking about.

And beyond that,
But in all honesty, even if you look at enthusiast forums there are people who play multiple consoles and the excitement generated by them basically match aggregated review scores. The most popular games that Sony has on market happen to be single player story based games, that shouldn't take away from the fact that for every generation they also cover the widest amount of genre's with first party and second party titles. Nintendo is up there with Sony in terms of variety but what I think (my opinion of course) turns some people away is a reliance on franchise characters to fuel these forays into different genre's for nintendo. Microsoft was much better last gen in terms of variety and quality but this gen it seems as if quality suffers a bit for new IP's already released while they were shipped alongside established franchises leading to some fatigue (which strangely enough nintendo fans seem to be immune to).

I agree with you on this. Sony's output has been of stellar quality, which has definitely helped to spread the word for their first-party games, and that's exactly where Microsoft failed with games like Ryse: Son of Rome, Recore, Crackdown 3, etc. The action-adventure genre is very popular, so when you create amazing games in that genre, obviously it will attract a lot of people. That's totally fine; I don't want to deny that. Like you say, Nintendo's efforts cover a lot more genres and their projects are also very different in terms of scope and budget. And that's exactly the point that I tried to make in my first post (and I think the OP as well).
Of course, it's also a choice of Nintendo to rather use established characters rather than create new ones, but I think that has also to do with Nintendo simply having much more valuable characters in its stable than Sony. So in a way, Sony is also more forced to go in this direction than Nintendo.

Microsoft simply has to prove themselves with quality of new titles and then this type of topic will be a thing of the past because the average gamer, cares about the quality of titles and only used company brands to save themselves money and time. Starting with their new studios if MS new IP are met with critical acclaim you will see a shift in the way people talk about the companies and how they consume titles.
I see a lot of similarities between the Nintendo of 2014-2016 and Microsoft of 2017-2019. The current platform is receiving the minimum amount of effort: complete ongoing projects, but all focus is going toward the new system. Microsoft has all been about Game Pass and xCloud and such, which are structures that will remain relevant into the next generation - these investments aren't specifically for the Xbox One. Beyond that, it's a matter of not losing the existing audience, rather than trying to expand the brand of the current system. Everyone is focused on Scarlett. They'll pull a Breath of the Wild with Halo Infinite; the newly acquired and newly created studios are all working on Scarlett content - just look at Hellblade 2's announcement, skipping Xbox One - and they didn't even release a new Forza game this year. 2019 is the first year since 2010 without a new Forza game (numbered Forza Motorsport or Forza Horizon entry). I think Microsoft will profit a lot of the preparations made under Phil Spencer's reign since 2016, and they'll be more serious competition for Sony during the next generation.

So if Sony keeps at the pace it's going at with the PS4, if Nintendo can continue the success of the Switch, and Microsoft manages to catch up thanks to the renewed focus/vision and extra muscle power thanks to acquired studios, then next generation will be very exciting, and all three console manufacturers will be in a great shape!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony has created a mixed bag of new IP's. Knack failed to really do much, The Order 1886 was by most considered a flop. They also had some success with new IP's like Days Gone but they can also be collaborations with third party such as Death Stranding and Bloodborne. They also had huge success with Horizon.

Microsoft usually starts off with new IP's but most fail to gravitate into anything. The only real new IP I can think of with legs is Sea of Thieves but that didn't set the world on fire either.

Nintendo has had some big hits like Splatoon but the other titles like 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips have very low investments compared to their big guns like Zelda. In my opinion Nintendo takes the least amount of risk for new IP's.

To me it appears Sony takes the most risk and the bigger investments and reaps the most rewards because of it.

Xbox has been sucking hard for decades with that shootbang boring racing shit.

How may Ryse, Bleeding Edge, Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Killer Instinct, Age of Empires, Flight Simulator, Recore, Quantum Break and Ori games do they need to release before they get rid of that stigma? Microsoft actually has quite a diversified list of games, the problem is most can't compete with Sony's AAA titles.

Last edited:

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well Sony is more successful with them as opposed to the competition, name me a new IP from MS this gen that did good?. Nintendo has Splatoon but that came out on the Wii U (and the other new IP's from Nintendo haven't done that good this gen). Sony simply has more success with them: Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Death Stranding... even the much maligned Knack did good.

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
sony is like the HBO of 1st party content. MS is like, i dunno, Starz. and nintendo is like some streaming service bespoke particular interests

Nah, don't insult HBO like that. Sony 1st party exclusives are like Marvel movies. Big budget, high production values, but nothing too deep in the end.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sounds like a steath console war thread to me.

Ppl have different standards on games in general unless you forgot how many smaller sony ip go to die. Nothing to do with sony getting a pass compared to other studios. Id like to know who exactly the op is referring to

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fanboyism, pure and simple. As if Sony's first parties were always godlike (PS3 and PS4 launched with fairly poor games). Nintendo's Wii U flopped but it had great games. Xbox One was a half failure compared to X360 but it had a great first year game-wise, only to slow down in the next years and pick up pace only now (next year has at least 10 Microsoft games coming that we know of). Sony also fits in the general concept of "hardcore games" of mainly single player cinematic experiences, which helps people ignore little facts like Nintendo being the GOAT at platformers or Microsoft having the most incredible racing games of the generation.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Nintendo has had some big hits like Splatoon but the other titles like 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips have very low investments compared to their big guns like Zelda. In my opinion Nintendo takes the least amount of risk for new IP's.

Even if you remove those two, you still have ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring-Fit Adventure, which have meaty budgets and full retail releases.

Even when Nintendo did Splatoon they put together a team of "young developers" to do it, which is the safest thing they could have done. Taking their Mario or Zelda teams and putting them to work on new IP would be seen as taking a risk, but Nintendo pretty much never does that.

Young developers can often provide fresh perspectives and design cultures that the old guard couldn't offer. That's why Nintendo let a young team handle it.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Microsoft and Nintendo had a lot of new IPs this gen, so the argument is quite baseless. Still, I don't think anyone can argue that Sony is not the publisher who invests the most in new IPs and even takes risks

There is simply an enormous gulf in the financial risk Sony takes launching new IP compared to MS and Nintendo. The budget of every new IP from Nintendo this gen would not add up to the budget of a single game like Horizon. That's what people see and are responding to when they praise Sony's efforts.

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played Knack, is it really a good series or are people just joking with this?

I genuinely think that Knack on the highest difficulty is a good game and that Knack 2 on the highest difficulty is a great game. 100% serious. Very challenging but ultimately rewarding. The highest difficulty forces you to learn enemy patterns because you will die a lot and quickly otherwise.

They're not good if you set them to medium and button mash your way through it, which is what I assume 99% of the people that actually have played them and dislike them did.

Definitely skip all the cutscenes though.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Because they're rarely as good. Can't think of anything they've created recently that's as good as Splatoon, Horizon, Last of Us, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.