• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
A common argument for fans of PlayStation is that Sony Interactive always introduces new IPs, unlike Nintendo and Xbox Game Studios. Who supposedly just rehash the same properties over and over again. But even when Nintendo and Microsoft do introduce New IPs, they're usually brushed off, or given a BS criteria as to what supposedly counts.

In Xbox's case, the argument is somewhat more valid as Microsoft failed to release a lot of compelling games this generation. But even when they start trying to get back on track with new games like Bleeding Edge, Grounded, and Everwild, the response is usually met with lukewarm reception, or "Filler for Game Pass". The problem lies in the multiplayer focus of these titles. And while I would like some single player offerings from Xbox that aren't the B&Bs (Halo, Forza, Gears) in the future, I don't see why being a multiplayer game should be a factor to write them off.

In Nintendo's case, even now they get unfair treatment from ERA regarding New IPs. Like Microsoft, the argument was somewhat valid with the Wii U, as Nintendo mostly relied on sequels to Wii games and safe platformers to carry the console, thus creating a severe lack of variety in the console's library, compounded by the overall lack of third party support. But with the Switch, Nintendo has introduced games like 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Sushi Striker, Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and The Stretchers. When these games are listed, they're usually wrote off as "Casual", "not AAA", "not as popular as Splatoon or Mario", and various other reasons for why they supposedly don't count. Even taking out the two eShop games, That's still 6 new games in under 3 years. I'm of the belief that a game doesn't need to be the biggest thing in existence to be great. Sure, games like Ring Fit may not be AAA, but they're still quality experiences that count.

So in terms of new IPs, why do you think Microsoft and Nintendo aren't taken as seriously as Sony?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Because (edit: all, for those people, relevant) new Sony IP are in the same genre of 'singleplayer story-driven adventure', sometimes open world, sometimes not, sometimes with guns, sometimes with melee combat, usually with a photorealistic art direction. So all these games are interesting to a certain group of people, and they get used to a lot of new properties that they like from Sony. Meanwhile, Nintendo's and Microsoft's new IP cover a wider variety of genre, art style, etc. So when those same people take a look at the lists of Nintendo and Microsoft, they don't see many things they're interested in, and try to validate their personal taste and opinion. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's new IP generally (not always) tend to be colorful and family-friendly, which is generally not taken super seriously by the people who love Sony's oeuvre. Something like Snipperclips or ARMS doesn't really scratch the serious-game itch that a Last of Us fan is looking for. That said, I don't really think anyone DOUBTS Nintendo's first party. Their in-house games are remarkably consistent (barring the occasional faceplant), and even people like me who generally aren't into anything Nintendo makes aside from Mario and Zelda and Smash can respect their output.

I think Microsoft's situation is a bit more complicated. For a long, long time Microsoft has basically just been "if you want to play multiplayer, please play here", and modern Sony really cut its teeth and built its empire on curated, high-profile single-player experiences. If you're a big fan of huge single-player games, Microsoft's not really the place to go, and their recent acquisitions, while clearly aimed at dispelling that notion, have yet to produce any results thus far. That may/will change next gen, but as of right now, if you're a big single player gamer there isn't a HUGE amount of draw to that platform.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Because the new Sony IP are all in the same genre of 'singleplayer story-driven adventure', sometimes open world, sometimes not, sometimes with guns, sometimes with melee combat, usually with a photorealistic art direction. So all these games are interesting to a certain group of people, and they get used to a lot of new properties that they like from Sony. Meanwhile, Nintendo's and Microsoft's new IP cover a wider variety of genre, art style, etc. So when those same people take a look at the lists of Nintendo and Microsoft, they don't see many things they're interested in, and try to validate their personal taste and opinion. It's not that hard.
FPBP.

Hell, you even see some Nintendo fans not counting Ring Fit Adventure when it's a really well made RPG. Because it's a Fitness game.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Different strokes and tastes for different folks. I think MS pooched the bed this generation canning Lionhead Studios, thus no Fable, No Scalebound, No JRPG ala Lost Odyssey. I think 360 helped them cover alot of genres but this gen has deflated all hype for there IP other than FPS. Still have faith that MS will do better next gen, Phil does not want a repeat of Xbox One launch or his ass is on the line.

Regarding Nintendo, Nintendo had released some new IP's to cover different genres, might not be cinematic but its fun. Arms, Splatoon, etc. at this point in time, Nintendo doesn't need new IP, there 1st party can sell millions and keep going indefinitely.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Because they probably just had the worst generation a first party had since maybe Atari and Jaguar.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Hell, you even see some Nintendo fans not counting Ring Fit Adventure when it's a really well made RPG. Because it's a Fitness game.

Playing Ring Fit Adventure recently, It has all the trappings of what one would consider a "Core" Nintendo IP. Quirky Characters, uniquely designed villans and bosses, and a cohesive, structured theme and aesthetic. It's very much like Splatoon and ARMS in that sense. But because it involves exercise, and you need a peripheral to play it, it's tossed into the "Casual" pile almost immediately. Really, it's much closer to a "Splatoon" type game that Wii Fit is.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Because people think anything Microsoft and Nintendo make games for babies and Sony makes games only the really cool hardcore players play.

Its stupid AF, there was literally a dumb ass post the other day about how if Sony started making games with Frozen 2 graphics theyd rather play on mobile phones than ps5.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because the new Sony IP are all in the same genre of 'singleplayer story-driven adventure', sometimes open world, sometimes not, sometimes with guns, sometimes with melee combat, usually with a photorealistic art direction. So all these games are interesting to a certain group of people, and they get used to a lot of new properties that they like from Sony. Meanwhile, Nintendo's and Microsoft's new IP cover a wider variety of genre, art style, etc. So when those same people take a look at the lists of Nintendo and Microsoft, they don't see many things they're interested in, and try to validate their personal taste and opinion. It's not that hard.

I would love to know how Erica, Astro Bot and Concrete Genie fit into this.

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
if you're new IP is not story driven cinematic adventure then you're not really going to get the attention of gamers nowadays. MS has some new ips that are like that but largely ignored due to being mediocre (ryse, quantum break) so they mostly stick to sequels this gen. nintendo does what nintendo does which are games for everyone. sony does it too but you can see that it will be largely ignored because its not a cinematic game (concrete genie, knack, tearaway)

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Huh?

People adore Nintendo IP, new and old. Sony's new IP attempts are met with varying amounts of acclaim and success.

Don't get caught up in message board fodder.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Nintendo's new IP generally (not always) tend to be colorful and family-friendly, which is generally not taken super seriously by the people who love Sony's oeuvre. Something like Snipperclips or ARMS doesn't really scratch the serious-game itch that a Last of Us fan is looking for. That said, I don't really think anyone DOUBTS Nintendo's first party.
I mean this is factually false. Enormous numbers of people on ERA and the old forum insisted that both Splatoon and Astral Chain would do "worse than Wonderful 101 numbers" at launch.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo absolutely gets respect. They aren't taken as "seriously" only because they aren't doing "serious" realistic mature storytelling games. But they are well respected.

MS may in the future, but they have to prove themselves. They are in a similar tonal wheelhouse to Sony but their games are hardly ever as good. Unlike Sony, they haven't had a consistently high-quality game output. That could change in the future with all the recent acquisitions.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They don't. They're ignored. Too weird, too small, not interesting at all unless the list needs to be made longer for console warring's sake. Kind of the same boat as Ring Fit Adventure and those digital-only indie-like games for Nintendo.
But you said all new Sony IPs fit in the same mold. But that's not really true. They're the most successful, but Sony certainly branches out from that mold.

Astro Bot is one of if not the highest rated VR games. It's incredible and worth the PSVR purchase.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Console War rhetoric; arguing in bad faith
Xbox has been sucking hard for decades with that shootbang boring racing shit.

Second, Nintendo is seen as a homogeneous entity that can only the same output kiddie/ family friendly content in an effort to be the Disney of videogames. A lot of people don't even realise Nintendo has several devs under their house.

Sony has a long history of much more variety for their best selling genre games. They went from platformers to racing games to 3rd person adventure, and while their diversity has narrowed since the PS2, it's still seen as the most to offer. You can have siblings each with popular titles that are completely different, while Xbox is the Gears/ Halo/ Forza machine and Nintendo seen as the Mario/ Zelda Smash box.

If a casual doesn't like those titles on Xbox and Nintendo, they don't dig much deeper for options, while with Playstation a casual who doesn't FPS racing games or platformers can still find well made, well reviewed games easily.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
But with the Switch, Nintendo has introduced games like 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Sushi Striker, Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and The Stretchers.

You just gave terible examples. 1-2 switch is hardly what you would consider an IP, as it's a collection of mini games based on real activities. Snipperclip, The Stretchers and Sushi Striker are probably really niche, as I didn't even know they existed. Ring Fit is interesting, but hardly something you'll see turned into a long lasting franchise (see Wii sports). Astral Chain is a Bandai Namco game, we don't even know if Nintendo owns the rights to the IP or if it's only for that one game. Splatoon and Arms are newish IPs that are fairly respected and admired by everyone as innovative and interesting, as was Xenoblade when released (despite it not being new new). The thing is, when you compare the long lasting IPs created the past two generations there's no contest as Sony made a much bigger pool of assets and is clearly benefitting for it (Nintendo still has the bigger and more relevant pool of IPs tho, obviously)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MS hasn't been taken seriously since Mass Effect 1 and Halo 3. Halo got its lunch eaten by CoD and Mass Effect became multiplatform before crashing and burning on its forth entry. Forza is the only franchise to actually grow since then and even today it has to fight against GT for any respect though it has lapped it in features entries ago.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Astral Chain is a Bandai Namco game, we don't even know if Nintendo owns the rights to the IP or if it's only for that one game
What? It's developed by Platinum. And yes, Nintendo does own the IP for that game. If you want to know what IPs Nintendo owns, and what they don't, just look at the copyright info on the title screen.

What new Nintendo IP has come out to great acclaim?
I'm actually struggling to think of one. Splatoon and then what else?

Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo Labo are three of the most well recieved ones.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People don't talk about every Sony new IP. Concrete Genie is great, but people aren't talking about it.

It's the same for MS and Nintendo, people only talk when it's a huge thing like Splatoon.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
A common argument for fans of PlayStation is that Sony Interactive always introduces new IPs, unlike Nintendo and Xbox Game Studios. Who supposedly just rehash the same properties over and over again. But even when Nintendo and Microsoft do introduce New IPs, they're usually brushed off, or given a BS criteria as to what supposedly counts.

In Xbox's case, the argument is somewhat more valid as Microsoft failed to release a lot of compelling games this generation. But even when they start trying to get back on track with new games like Bleeding Edge, Grounded, and Everwild, the response is usually met with lukewarm reception, or "Filler for Game Pass". The problem lies in the multiplayer focus of these titles. And while I would like some single player offerings from Xbox that aren't the B&Bs (Halo, Forza, Gears) in the future, I don't see why being a multiplayer game should be a factor to write them off.

In Nintendo's case, even now they get unfair treatment from ERA regarding New IPs. Like Microsoft, the argument was somewhat valid with the Wii U, as Nintendo mostly relied on sequels to Wii games and safe platformers to carry the console, thus creating a severe lack of variety in the console's library, compounded by the overall lack of third party support. But with the Switch, Nintendo has introduced games like 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, Sushi Striker, Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and The Stretchers. When these games are listed, they're usually wrote off as "Casual", "not AAA", "not as popular as Splatoon or Mario", and various other reasons for why they supposedly don't count. Even taking out the two eShop games, That's still 6 new games in under 3 years. I'm of the belief that a game doesn't need to be the biggest thing in existence to be great. Sure, games like Ring Fit may not be AAA, but they're still quality experiences that count.

So in terms of new IPs, why do you think Microsoft and Nintendo aren't taken as seriously as Sony?

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are among the highest-rated games of the decade and everybody constantly praises them, how do people suddenly not take Nintendo seriously here?

In MS's case, from the last third of last-gen to half of the current one (except for some interesting experiments like Sunset Overdrive and Ori) they were basically Halo-Forza-Gears machines. You might say that Sony and Nintendo do the same, rehashing their IPs, but their games generally improve the formula whereas (with the exception of Forza) things have been slowly declining on Xbox.

For a long time, MS simply didn't invest in exclusive games. They only started recently, with the acquisition of a few studios but that doesn't automatically guarantee they'll all be releasing 90+ gems. Some of those studios are really promising but part of what makes Nintendo and Sony great at running their own is being great at deciding which new IPs to pick and how many resources to allocate to them.

People don't have double standards, just different expectations.

S3V8

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
🇬🇧
• Compulsion Games – new IP, already in works​
• Double Fine Productions – new IPs, already in works next to Psychonauts 2 or will be after that​
• XGS Publishing – new IPs, Tell Me Why is one of them, another unannounced project/s is/are in development​
• The Initiative – probably new IP​
• inXile – new IP, already in works​
• Ninja Theory – new IPs, probably already in works next to polishing Bleeding Edge and further development of Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
• Obsidian – new IPs, already in works​
• Playground Games – new IP, if they're not doing Fable
• Rare – new IPs, now with EVERWILD and somewhere in the future with something new​
We just need to be more patient for the next generation. For sure it will be much better than current one.​

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Because sony is the only stuido that makes true AAA games

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
But you said all new Sony IPs fit in the same mold. But that's not really true. They're the most successful, but Sony certainly branches out from that mold.

Astro Bot is one of if not the highest rated VR games. It's incredible and worth the PSVR purchase.
I meant to say all IP that those console warriors find relevant. I've edited my post. I don't mean to shit on Sony's line-up btw. I was talking about the people that engage in the kind of conversations that the OP is talking about.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
In my opinion it all comes down to the budget that each one gives to their new IPs.
When was the last time you saw Nintendo or MS giving to their new IPs the scope, budget and marketing Sony gave to Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima, for example ?
All of Nintendo and MS new IPs are treated by Ninty and MS as fillers for their heavy hitters meanwhile at Sony it feels like their new IPs are made to be their next big ones.
My personal perspective.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It only counts as a new IP if it's single-player, narrative-driven, mature, AAA, and has photorealistic graphics!

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They don't. They're ignored. Too weird, too small, not interesting at all unless the list needs to be made longer for console warring's sake. Kind of the same boat as Ring Fit Adventure and those digital-only indie-like games for Nintendo.

So it has nothing to do with fanboys and more to do with people subjectives interests?

They get glossed over constantly that's how. When have you heard someone is excited for ps5 because of any of those or there follow ups, or excited because of knack 3 but they were serious?

They don't? Astro Bot for exemple has been one of the most talked about VR game this year, there's also seems to be some excitement over Dreams even though it's a pretty "niche" game in the grand scheme of things.

I don't really get this thread, 3rd person single player games are popular here, of course people are going to talk about them more. And what you're saying here is that it even happens with Sony.

So what's the problem exactly?

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't. All three makers have been putting out some great FP content lately. Even Xbox has started to make a come back and they were asleep for a few years there.

Don't get caught up in the "Nintendo doesn't do new things" and "Sony only makes the same game" bullshit that people peddle on this forum.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
All of Nintendo and MS new IPs are treated by Ninty and MS as fillers for their heavy hitters meanwhile at Sony it feels like their new IPs are made to be their next big ones.

I say in the case of Nintendo, they prefer to start small and then gradually grow into something bigger. Splatoon had a very modest budget for the first game, but it slowly grew in scope and content with the sequel. ARMS will likely be the same way. This isn't always the case though, Astral Chain for example, could rival anything Sony puts out.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Honestly Microsoft's new IPs this gen have just been a bunch of AA games, and I'm just not interested in that.

I want big AAAs. It has nothing to do with single player focus (I actually prefer multiplayer).

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
They don't. All three makers have been putting out some great FP content lately. Even Xbox has started to make a come back and they were asleep for a few years there.

Don't get caught up in the "Nintendo doesn't do new things" and "Sony only makes the same game" bullshit that people peddle on this forum.

This. Right now, I think we're going to be in a Golden Age of First party development from all the big three. Each of them are putting out promising and genre defining games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Because what Sony does each generation is to kill a large part of its single player ip to make room for new single player ip according to how fashions evolve. Apart from Gran Turismo there is virtually no important First Party alive from Sony receiving new games since PSX. Of PS2 only God of War and Ratchet remain.

Some people prefer that because if you don't like one generation, you may like the next one more.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Huh?

ReCore?
Ryse?
Quantum Break?
Ori?
Sunset Overdrive?

Sony also put out PLENTY of sequels. Uncharted (2 games), God of War, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Infamous.

They both put out plenty of sequels and new IPs. Sony's new IPs were just more successful

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see MS releasing a barrage of new IPs next gen. But they've struck gold with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Sea of Thieves, (potentially) Outer Worlds.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to know how Erica, Astro Bot and Concrete Genie fit into this.

Sony absolutely releases other types of games, but I don't think it's controversial to say that their bread and butter this gen has been their 'prestige' games. Those are by and large the most prominent games in their exclusive lineup, those are the games that get the big marketing pushes and the big budgets. Based on how well those games sell they've found an audience that they're really good at tapping into, one that they'd be silly to not focus on. I'd love to see Sony pump that type of money into games that are more my preference like RPGs, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.