• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geno Still in Smash as a DLC Character?

• Yes of course

Votes: 73 7.9%
  • Hell Nah

Votes: 552 59.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 20 2.2%
  • Sora pls

Votes: 88 9.5%
  • Waluigi Time

Votes: 194 20.9%

• Total voters

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I feel like these sorts of arguments are conflating "relevancy" within the games and series the characters appear in and relevancy to present-day gaming at large. In the latter sense, Geno is about as relevant as K Rool because it's unlikely that either are going to appear again in any upcoming games (short of Nintendo deciding to revive the Kremlings...which I'd still say is more likely to happen than SMRPG getting some sort of sequel). But if you're trying to imply that Geno means as much to the Mario series (or at this point, even the subseries of "Mario RPGs") than K Rool means to DK, well...that's just flat out incorrect.

I thought Geno was fine enough as a character in SMRPG back when it first came out, cool but unspectacular. The immense and feverish amount of push for him in Smash specifically really boggles my mind at this point, though. You can love the character and hope for a miracle I guess, but at least be willing to recognize that the odds are absolutely not in your favor for something like that happening. It would be like me constantly pining for Mike Jones from Startropics to be a DLC fighter, yeah I technically could drive that train if I wanted to, and find ways to explain away everybody pointing out why it would be unlikely under the guise of "rules don't matter," but I can recognize in my heart that it's a losing battle and be happy for what is being added while also considering other, more logically-likely options to put support behind.
I agree with all of this. I sometimes wonder why Geno of all people. Like yeah I get it, he's mysterious and cool, but I mean why THEM of all of characters. I WISH this was about Mike Jones.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible. The way Sakurai unceremoniously brought back the costume without acknowledging the fans (a group he has acknowledged in the past and even subscribed to himself) could be a setup for a surprise.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
why are ppl so obsessed with such an obscure character?

Geno who?

Sakurai better add in this genos instead as dlc just to twist the knife even deeper.

AmbitiousRegalDogfish-max-1mb.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ice Climbers was an intentional deep cut from Nintendo's own library though, a character meant to be surprising but that they wouldn't really have any issues with implementing, like Game and Watch or Wii Fit Trainer. Once they need to start negotiating with an outside party, then they need to be more selective with who they pick.
more specifically, the Ice Climbers were chosen as representatives of the early NES lineup

eat your heart out, Balloon Fighter

Axumar

May 13, 2020
DK games K. Rool has been in:
DKC1
DKC2
DKC3
DKL1
DKL2
DKL3
DK64
DK Konga
DK King Of Swing
DK Jungle Climber
DK Barrel Blast

Metroid games Ridley has been in:
Metroid
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Zero Mission
Metroid Prime 3
Other M
Samus Returns
Metroid Prime Pinball

Even if I'm generous and add Fusion (which is a clone of Ridley), that's 11 appearances for K. Rool vs. Ridley's 9.

I stand corrected. I completely forgot about those later GBA/DS games.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Geno ain't making it in. So as punishment for the puppet getting a Mii costume, we are probably getting another Fire Emblem character.

And you think Corrin and Byleth were bad, this character is really that mysterious female character who possesses the Crest of Flames datamined from Three Houses' source code and not only they'll reveal that character in Smash first, it'll just be Edelgard but as a Nabatean that likes to punch shit and voiced by Sumire Morohoshi/Cristina Vee.

WA

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Yes.

Yes.

It's weird that people are using a late 90s failed cartoon on a failed niche network as proof that the general public knows who K. Rool is but I mean, sure.

People aren't saying that K. Rool is a cultural icon, just that he's more well known than this Geno guy. The show was garbage and didn't set the world on fire popularity-wise, but objectively he has one more TV credit and over ten more videogame appearances than Geno ever did.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Which literally proves my point that I made above.

Made-up rules by fans.
Your last post literally had this "He's a DLC mii costume already and None of the returning smash 4 miis got upgraded so far." That's making up a rule
TIL basic reasoning is just "making up rules" and therefore irrelevant.

People are just working by what is likely vs what isn't, to go about it any other way is just irrational. No one is saying it's flat-out impossible, just very unlikely based on previous patterns.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
All I can say is, as the end of the pass arrives, the more heated the discussion will be. And I don't think the more requested characters are getting in.

Axumar

May 13, 2020
Was Geno ever in smash before the Mii costume included in Smash WiiU/3DS? Is there any reason to believe Nintendo values this character?

Genuinely asking if Geno appeared as a trophy or sticker before the 4th iteration of smash. If not, then it's a noticeable jump in popularity. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo capitalize on this trend.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory Point of Comparison; Prior Ban for the same infraction
I don't know if this is stage 1: denial, or stage 3: bargaining
Sorry for bringing politics into this, but Geno fans are acting just as delusional as cultists of Donald Trump who refuses to acknowledge the results of the election & Joe Biden as President.

Good fucking grief.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Was Geno ever in smash before the Mii costume included in Smash WiiU/3DS? Is there any reason to believe Nintendo values this character?

Genuinely asking if Geno appeared as a trophy or sticker before the 4th iteration of smash. If not, then it's a noticeable jump in popularity. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo capitalize on this trend.
the overall third party presence in Smash was extremely limited before the 4th iteration

(Geno is a third party character)

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
And fans of RPGs know who Geno is.

"Fan of fighting games" is still a niche group of people. Only Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have characters with mainstream appeal.

The difference between these two genres is that Smash is a fighting game, not an RPG. Even if Terry wasn't more famous than Geno (which he is), he is still part of the lineage that birthed Smash in a way that Geno never will be. That's why including him always made sense and including this, frankly, completely niche and somewhat irrelevant character, doesn't (btw a huge % of RPG fans won't know who he is, or at least wouldn't were it not for smash discourse).

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
All I can say is, as the end of the pass arrives, the more heated the discussion will be. And I don't think the more requested characters are getting in.
Oh my goodness, I forgot there will definitely be "pissed-off" comments and buckets of salt raging through the Smash community by the end of this current pass.

On one hand, I don't want to see what happens, but on the other hand, I wanted to see the epilogue / aftermath of the whole thing.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Oh my goodness, I forgot there will definitely be "pissed-off" comments and buckets of salt raging through the Smash community by the end of this current pass.

On one hand, I don't want to see what happens, but on the other hand, I wanted to see the epilogue / aftermath of the whole thing.
Just imagine if Nintendo closes with a 1st party character. Veins are going to popped.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

That Nintendo even put forward the effort to get him for a Mii Costume at all is, in my mind, already them "capitalizing on the trend" of Geno's fan demand. It's an achievement for the people that have been clamoring for his inclusion in Smash for basically two decades now despite nearly no logical reason behind his specific inclusion being likely or even all that sensible.

But of course as we've seen with things like Shovel Knight, Sans, and others, inclusion in Smash never actually "counts" unless they're a fully-built and unique newcomer fighter, and anything less than that is perceived as an insult to the fanbase instead. I'm honestly at the point now where I feel like the health of the community would be better off if assist trophies and mii costumes didn't exist at all, because people seem to be entirely ungrateful for the effort put into them anyway.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think the thing for Geno fans to do is just instead become one of those posters who inexplicably insist the next fighter will be a Steven Universe character.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I get that. It didn't stop a cameo in the first Mario and Luigi. Though the cameo isn't in the remake for some reason.

Geno's cameo in Mario & Luigi required approval from Square:

979.png

Which is presumably why it's not in the remake. Brawl only had third party content from the Sonic and Metal Gear franchises.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I want Geno in and I think it's possible Sakurai would still put him in if it was solely up to him, but they've said multiple times that Nintendo gives Sakurai the possible options that he chooses from. I highly doubt that Nintendo put Geno on the table. Unless Sakurai did some weird deal with Nintendo to only do another pass if they allow a sixth character (Geno) or some insane shit like that then I highly doubt he's getting in, but anything's possible I suppose.

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I don't think it's going to happen, but the people who sit here and pretend that Nintendo abides by any kinds of rules anymore are the actual delusional ones.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Geno being in smash is the kind of crazy stockholm syndrome nintendo fans have with smash, just like pro smash player demanding nintendo foster their pro scene when they clearly have no intention of doing so.

Geno will never be a unique character in smash. Never. Ya'll need to come to terms with it.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Sorry for bringing politics into this, but Geno fans are acting just as delusional as cultists of Donald Trump who refuses to acknowledge the results of the election & Joe Biden as President.

Good fucking grief.
GENO WILL BE THE NEXT SMASH FIGHTER

ⓘ 𝗢𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗮𝗹𝘀𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Hard facts: Geno will never ever be a DLC character for Smash.
Super Mario RPG wasn't even released in Europe, how do you expect to push fighter pass sales with such a character?

In Japan they print huge posters as advertisements and put them up in train stations for new characters, Geno has like zero credibility to warrant such a spot.
The only way he gets into the game is as part of the launch roster, DLC is absolutely impossible.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
After seeing the (terrible) mii outfit of geno I don't think we will get him as an actual character in smash now for sure.

I guess there is still a very slim chance we could get geno but in case we dontt (and we probably wont) I've already started hiring a team of lawyers to fiile a lawsuit against nintendo if geno doesn't make the cut.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Look at the five Mii costumes that were just released along with Sephiroth. Four Final Fantasy costumes and Geno. One of these is not like the others. Why is Geno grouped in with the Final Fantasy set? Answer: because he's Square property; so he's getting released alongside Sephiroth, who is also Square property. This was the moment that made the most sense to release the Geno costume.

If Geno was actually going to be released as a character in a few months, then the above reasoning wouldn't hold. There would be no need to awkwardly group him together with Final Fantasy if there was going to be a whole event centered around Geno.

If you like, you can say Nintendo was "trolling" by doing this. But at that point, you're just grasping at straws. The Geno fanbase is not so special that Nintendo would structure its marketing campaign around a petty desire to troll you.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Look at the five Mii costumes that were just released along with Sephiroth. Four Final Fantasy costumes and Geno. One of these is not like the others. Why is Geno grouped in with the Final Fantasy set? Answer: because he's Square property; so he's getting released alongside Sephiroth, who is also Square property. This was the moment that made the most sense to release the Geno costume.

If Geno was actually going to be released as a character in a few months, then the above reasoning wouldn't hold. There would be no need to awkwardly group him together with Final Fantasy if there was going to be a whole event centered around Geno.

If you like, you can say Nintendo was "trolling" by doing this. But at that point, you're just grasping at straws. The Geno fanbase is not so special that Nintendo would structure its marketing campaign around a petty desire to troll you.

There is a subset of the Smash fanbase who genuinely believes Sakurai is Willy Wonka and everything he does is wacky 5D chess.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
why are ppl so obsessed with such an obscure character?

Geno who?

Sakurai better add in this genos instead as dlc just to twist the knife even deeper.

AmbitiousRegalDogfish-max-1mb.gif
I don't think characters from a different medium than games will ever get added. Maybe as a spirit, but that's it. It's why we won't ever see Goku even though people keep asking for him. Yes, Bandai Namco owns the license to create Dragon Ball games and use the likeness of DB characters in games. But if they ever lose the license rights to Goku's likeness would have to be renegotiated with the current license holder just to keep selling Goku. It's too much of a hassle. It's easier to keep it within gaming IP since most game characters are owned by their respective publisher.