• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh I haven't played WoW in about a year. Played it for unhealthily amount when I first got my first ever computer (was a cheap, handmedown computer from an aunt and only ran the game at 15fps MAX but I was just excited to have a computer) from middle of wrath up until mid Pandaria but then sadly the guild I was in (with a kickass woman as as co guild leader and raid leader) disbanded and having no one to play with anymore just led me to quit halfway into Draenor. Been wanting to try Legion one day as I'm starting to miss WoW as so many memories.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys it's me. I just requested a name change. Formerly Work Dog formerly Mineshaft Gap formerly Ducky McGee formerly Lemurs.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well there goes any chance of me trying the series.
The Arland and Dusk trilogies are fine and I would recommend those. Totori and Sophie are my favorites. The Mysterious series (Sophie, Firis, now this) is shitting the bed in either quality or decency depending on the game.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I have such an adrenaline rush right now.

I got a random call from a Wells Fargo Business employee who found my LinkedIn profile and asked if I was interested in a Software Analyst job (something I have prior experience in).

Interviews tomorrow, and I'm frantic. I might be able to escape from retail if they personally sought me out though! Now I just have to fight my nerves. >~>

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

I got a random call from a Wells Fargo Business employee who found my LinkedIn profile and asked if I was interested in a Software Analyst job (something I have prior experience in).

Interviews tomorrow, and I'm frantic. I might be able to escape from retail if they personally sought me out though! Now I just have to fight my nerves. >~>
HyperFerret

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017

Ahh, good luck!!!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

You got this! Think of how you might answer some basic questions (and then you can modify for whatever twist they may ask), be positive, anything "negative" ("I made a mistake once") turn into a positive ("but it taught me the importance of ____ and I've applied that to my current job in this way!")

You will do awesome!

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Good luck!!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All right, that's it, I'm pretty sure I'm fucking done with the Atelier series after this latest character design reveal. Probably should have been out after Plachta, whose design is certainly worse than this, but was holding out hope I guess?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/atelier-lydie-suelle-details-fuuko-neige-captain-buccan/

I guess my tolerance is extremely low now.
Meruru was one of the first titles I worked on at my current company.

Its character designs were not like this, though.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Good luck! -crosses fingers-

Oct 25, 2017
All right, that's it, I'm pretty sure I'm fucking done with the Atelier series after this latest character design reveal. Probably should have been out after Plachta, whose design is certainly worse than this, but was holding out hope I guess?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/atelier-lydie-suelle-details-fuuko-neige-captain-buccan/

Eugh, I always wanted to try that series too. Might try some of the older ones since those don't look too bad.

I've found my tolerance for revealing outfits on female characters getting low also. Especially since there are more titles with female main characters wearing sensible clothing. I'd rather put those higher on my backlog list.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017

You got this! Think of how you might answer some basic questions (and then you can modify for whatever twist they may ask), be positive, anything "negative" ("I made a mistake once") turn into a positive ("but it taught me the importance of ____ and I've applied that to my current job in this way!")

You will do awesome!

Good luck! -crosses fingers-

Thanks everyone, your support gives me confidence! :D

Now to just pick out the best outfit and iron it (._.`)

edit: ugh, ironing is such a hassle hahaha

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Small update but I had my interview I mentioned a couple weeks ago and was hired. I've been so busy with learning the new job while slowly phasing out my old one(I'm working part time now at the old retail rather than the soul crushing full time I used to) that I've been mostly browsing the forum rather than posting. Now that I'm more settled I'll be more active lol

HyperFerret, I hope your interview goes/went well! I'm sure you've got this.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Small update but I had my interview I mentioned a couple weeks ago and was hired. I've been so busy with learning the new job while slowly phasing out my old one(I'm working part time now at the old retail rather than the soul crushing full time I used to) that I've been mostly browsing the forum rather than posting. Now that I'm more settled I'll be more active lol

proud of ya!

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Arland and Dusk trilogies are fine and I would recommend those. Totori and Sophie are my favorites. The Mysterious series (Sophie, Firis, now this) is shitting the bed in either quality or decency depending on the game.

Relieved to hear that as I just got the first Arland game for my Vita and... yeah... I was having much the same reaction to the design upthread.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Hooray!! And good luck, HyperFerret!!!

Relieved to hear that as I just got the first Arland game for my Vita and... yeah... I was having much the same reaction to the design upthread.
Rorona is super tame and just plain adorable. <3 The remake (which the Vita version is) is really good too. It's really sad to look back at the older Atelier games that were clearly made for EVERYONE and not just pandering to perverts. :(

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So who has played Zelda BOTW? I'm finally almost done it and I started a couple weeks ago. It's such a massive time sink but I've really enjoyed most of it. I'm thinking of trying Horizon once I'm finished.
I am proud of you too, Wazzy, my love.
P5FtiWC.gif

Hooray!! And good luck, HyperFerret!!!
Thanks!

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
So who has played Zelda BOTW? I'm finally almost done it and I started a couple weeks ago. It's such a massive time sink but I've really enjoyed most of it.

I think I have about 90 hours? I absolutely love it (except for that darn inventory...). I started when it came out and finally explored Hyrule Castle sometime last month. I haven't actually beaten the game yet, but I probably will when the next DLC is announced. I just keep putting it off because I'm sad it'll be "over" even though I know I can keep playing. I even did all the shrines and now I'm just messing around doing sidequests and farming dragon parts.

My favorite part of Zelda games growing up was always just running around Hyrule, so I should've known I would be into it lol

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
So who has played Zelda BOTW? I'm finally almost done it and I started a couple weeks ago. It's such a massive time sink but I've really enjoyed most of it. I'm thinking of trying Horizon once I'm finished.

BOTW is great, but it is by no means the best Zelda. The bosses are mediocre and unoriginal from each other; they're different variations of the same thing. I thought the Divine Beasts were cool, but they weren't too challenging compared to other Zelda dungeons we've experienced in the past. I like how the game gives you a wide variety of options in choosing how to go about accomplishing a certain task; it gives you an objective, and however you do that in whatever order is up to you. The weapon system is annoying and it made me not want to fight anything for fear that my weapons would break mid-battle. The world is also kind of boring; there's nothing to explore, really. Aside from a few shrines and some lizards or whatever, there's really no point to traversing the landscape. I liked the shrines and the puzzles, but I wish they had made less, but bigger dungeons instead, like older Zeldas. They tried something new, and it kind of worked out well, so I can't really fault them for that.

Horizon is beautiful, both graphically and in terms of its characters and narrative. The story is compelling, immersive, and mysterious, and Aloy is a likeable protagonist. She's strong-willed, independent, and probably one of the most positive examples of women in gaming in recent memory. The world has a ton of stuff to find in it, and although the side quests aren't particularly strong and there really isn't much incentive to do them, I found myself enjoying them anyway because I loved Aloy and her adventures that much. The crafting system is just okay, IMO, but crafting in any game isn't really indicative of overall gameplay, so whatever. I won't fault Zelda for it, either.

In other words, I think you'll really like Horizon and you should definitely play it.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Horizon is so beautiful. I love the geography of the Southwest U.S. and they accomplished such a gorgeous combination of realism and a painterly look for the game. Also the robots are really cool.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
The Air Force Academy is in the game, it's one of the viewpoints.

credit-cdphe-state-co-us-sony-interactive-entertainment.jpg

Thought that was pretty cool!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I enjoyed BotW, but was not blown away by it like many people were. I thought the story was really lacking, and the dungeons were kinda mediocre. I hate weapon durability in games too. I liked that you could pretty much go anywhere on the map, though, and the non-linear way to tackle quests and such.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I was actually surprised so many people loved BOTW right away. They changed so much that I thought it'd be more immediately controversial.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you get the suped up Master Sword from the last DLC, that goes a long way toward fixing the problems with weapon degradation. I found the game a lot more fun when I could just fight or hit objects with impunity.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks again to everyone wishing me good luck. I just got back from it.

Now to do the "will they or won't they?" dance.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is great, but it is by no means the best Zelda. The bosses are mediocre and unoriginal from each other; they're different variations of the same thing. I thought the Divine Beasts were cool, but they weren't too challenging compared to other Zelda dungeons we've experienced in the past. I like how the game gives you a wide variety of options in choosing how to go about accomplishing a certain task; it gives you an objective, and however you do that in whatever order is up to you. The weapon system is annoying and it made me not want to fight anything for fear that my weapons would break mid-battle. The world is also kind of boring; there's nothing to explore, really. Aside from a few shrines and some lizards or whatever, there's really no point to traversing the landscape. I liked the shrines and the puzzles, but I wish they had made less, but bigger dungeons instead, like older Zeldas. They tried something new, and it kind of worked out well, so I can't really fault them for that.

Horizon is beautiful, both graphically and in terms of its characters and narrative. The story is compelling, immersive, and mysterious, and Aloy is a likeable protagonist. She's strong-willed, independent, and probably one of the most positive examples of women in gaming in recent memory. The world has a ton of stuff to find in it, and although the side quests aren't particularly strong and there really isn't much incentive to do them, I found myself enjoying them anyway because I loved Aloy and her adventures that much. The crafting system is just okay, IMO, but crafting in any game isn't really indicative of overall gameplay, so whatever. I won't fault Zelda for it, either.

In other words, I think you'll really like Horizon and you should definitely play it.
Zelda bosses are trash on the whole though, making an entire fight revolve around using the dungeon/game's gimmick ad nauseum guts the dance between attack patterns and openings that makes boss fights in video games fun in favor of forcing you to wait constantly for a jarringly inorganic "puzzle" opening even when the enemy isn't shooting.

Most modern boss fight design is really awful, really, if you want a real fight crack open some old 2D platformers or Kid Icarus: Uprising. If a game isn't constantly giving you windows to attack and just forcing you to measure your priorities on whether or not you should, it's doing it wrong.

Although I object to the "no point in exploration" thing purely on the basis of the reaction I had to visiting the glowing mountain while it was glowing. The amount of point exploring in the game has is directly proportional to the amount of cynicism you have about exploring in the first place. IDK sometimes I found it cool just to sightsee, resource gathering is obviously worthless but every once in a while there's just a place worth being for itself.

Or maybe BotW is only a good game for people who think the typical Zelda gameplay loop is dull, stilted, inorganic and unfun, IDK.

But the merits of women protagonists more just make me go back to trying to come up with designs myself, because Aloy's design looks chokingly busy to the point of being unmemorable and most other women protagonists are either dressed awkwardly or have the most boring casual wear I've ever seen. I mean I can't draw well, but if I can draw to the point of objects being identifiable then that's enough to think the issue over.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I already have 307 posts/messages here? Damn. It doesn't feel like it.

BOTW is alright but unlike any other Switch game I have if I'm not playing it I have zero urge to play it. I'm not big on Zelda in the first place though (though I own like half the series why do I keep doing this to myself).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Honestly I think the Mysterious triology has some of the most unpleasant art in the series. Not trying to hate on the artist since they are probably given a concept to work with, but it just lacks the charm the Arland and Dusk have. Rorona had the dancer girl who showed some skin but it did not look so tacky in my opinion.

Congrats to everyone on the job hunt!

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I'm not big on Zelda in the first place though (though I own like half the series why do I keep doing this to myself).

I feel like I do this with some series, because I keep thinking I should like it. Like there's a lot of things I would usually like. But then it's just kind of okay for me, and I wind up shrugging and going "that was fine I guess."

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I feel like I do this with some series, because I keep thinking I should like it. Like there's a lot of things I would usually like. But then it's just kind of okay for me, and I wind up shrugging and going "that was fine I guess."
That's me with Mario. I love basically every other popular platformer, so I should like that one too, but I just don't :(

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Good luck and congrats you jobbers ;p

To add to the Atelier discussion, I've been very disappointed with the Mysterious games in both art directions and gameplay, which makes me really sad because I used to love the series to piece. Arland trilogy is great, Dusk starts strong (imo) really drops off with the plot (Escha & Logy was really overly easy too), but I played like... 3 hours of Sophie and just noped out of there. It wasn't even fun :( I haven't played Faris but I was advised not to bother by my Atelier gaming buddies so... I never picked it up.

I'm hoping the next trilogy is better.