• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Calliope Do we have the same mother? Haha

Would happy make all of you pancakes but sadly kinda notpossible to get them to you in any safe, consumable way. Wonkavision when?

My favorite pancakes are blueberry ones, I love blueberry pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc.. the best and adding a bunch of fresh blueberries to pancake mix is the best but sadly blueberries werent ob sale this month. Will check next month when I go grocery shopping again. Could probably go the frozen route too though.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Calliope Do we have the same mother? Haha

Would happy make all of you pancakes but sadly kinda notpossible to get them to you in any safe, consumable way. Wonkavision when?

My favorite pancakes are blueberry ones, I love blueberry pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc.. the best and adding a bunch of fresh blueberries to pancake mix is the best but sadly blueberries werent ob sale this month. Will check next month when I go grocery shopping again. Could probably go the frozen route too though.[/QUOTE}
The same thought ran through my mind when I read your post! 'Hm, this is sounding awfully familiar.....' lol

Blueberry pancakes (and waffles too!) are delicious! Fresh blueberries are such a nice addition to mix since they don't turn to mush when added and you get that nice pop of flavor when you find a bite with one. I'll eat almost any type of pancake though but once they start turning into more of a dessert than a breakfast, I usually bail. Whip cream and stuff like strawberry syrup seem too sweet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Proper fresh whipped cream isn't too sweet because it only gets like half a teaspoon of sugar or less per pint of heavy cream.

But I only make that with a stand mixer, I'm not hangin around holding even an electric hand mixer for ten minutes straight.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese Cheesecake is the best dessert.

Edit: And not a dessert, but jianbing is the greatest breakfast food on this earth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love you all but I notice a lot of talking and not a lot of delicious food picture posting.

Fruit tart is one of my favorites. It's so pretty...

MivSJpr.jpg

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here ever feel hopelessly outgunned in the cooking department compared to your mom? I feel like I'm so behind in the ability to cook and do general... mom things compared to my mom. I lost a button on my dress and I'm going to have to watch a youtube video on how to fix it. And buy thread. And buy needles. And find a place where I can get an identical button.

It'd be one thing if I learned other life skills in place of these things like how to work on cars or circuit boards or something.

Even just now, you said that about Fruit Tart crusts being bad but my mom makes them like a delicious buttery sugar cookie. I want one so bad and I have no idea how to make it. D:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
On the cooking department, yeah. My Mom always insist on cooking herself and never allowed me to experiment, so my cooking ability is Zero. Only thing I do well is baking.

Thankfully, the other abilities like sewing I picked up when I was in an exchange program and lived by myself. It helped me grow a lot in the independence aspect.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Same here. It isn't that my mom's skills are lacking, rather she's horribly averse to seasonings, marinades, dressings etc. I have no idea why. Her salads never have a drop of dressing on them and whenever I have dinner with her I have to season what I can with salt and pepper.

She's a great baker though. Night and day difference and she doesn't seem to mind using salt there. Go figure.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely outgunned cooking wise by my Mom (and my Dad). I don't teally feel the need to learn too much since my fiancée is a much better cook then me. I can make basic stuff, and possibly more complex recipes, but it will take longer. I'm not really bothered by it.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a better cook than my mom. She likes to just throw everything in a pot and hope for the best. If you give her a recipe she can't just follow it she has to "make it her own" for better or worse. She isn't the best at judging what changes will be good and often just chooses the easiest route.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My mother-in-law is an amazing cook and I can never hope to beat her. ;_;

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Does anyone here ever feel hopelessly outgunned in the cooking department compared to your mom? I feel like I'm so behind in the ability to cook and do general... mom things compared to my mom. I lost a button on my dress and I'm going to have to watch a youtube video on how to fix it. And buy thread. And buy needles. And find a place where I can get an identical button.
:

I'm the same on needles, I can't stuff a sock regardless how much I tried. Just never got taught how to. My grandmother used to do that kind of thing all the time, but as a skill it just got lost.
Learned how to cook though, almost as good as my grandmother could.

My mother is good at cooking and baking when she wants to be, but when I visit, she's happy if I cook for her instead, she's not really fond of it and likes if people cook for her, for a change - and it gets her more than her usual five dishes she makes for herself.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I learned that I am not the best judge of how a recipe will turn out lol.
When I make something from a cookbook that isn't to our taste, I take a sharpie and put an X through it so I never make that mistake again. It's MY cookbook, I can write in it if I like lol.

PixelParty

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in my family is a dreadful cook. They refuse to use any spices. They won't cook with garlic or onions (too spicy, they say). They are adverse to all vegetables that aren't a potato.

My mom is also from the era of cooking meat into a dried husk.

Everything is drier than toast and bland. I didn't like meats at all until I was on my own and taught myself how to cook. I ate my first salad was when I was in my mid-20s. I had my first strawberry at age 20.

So yeah, I always cook for my parents.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in my family is a dreadful cook. They refuse to use any spices. They won't cook with garlic or onions (too spicy, they say). They are adverse to all vegetables that aren't a potato.

My mom is also from the era of cooking meat into a dried husk.

Everything is drier than toast and bland. I didn't like meats at all until I was on my own and taught myself how to cook. I ate my first salad was when I was in my mid-20s. I had my first strawberry at age 20.

So yeah, I always cook for my parents.
That reminds me of my uncle. His mother would always cook steak super well done. To this day, he doesn't like meat. He's a pescetarian.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My parents, too, basically overboiled and overcooked everything. Vegetables, meats, etc.

Luckily, my husband is a far better cook. I still can't cook, but whatever. I used to think I hated steak and vegetables, but it turns out I just don't like tough, dried sawdust, or smelly mush.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started on a road trip with my fiance yesterday.

Laaaaaaawd this has been a great trip and we're only one day in. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back on topic I wish I could grill at my apartment. I adore grilled veggies. Carrots and peppers especially are yum.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I started on a road trip with my fiance yesterday.

Laaaaaaawd this has been a great trip and we're only one day in. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back on topic I wish I could grill at my apartment. I adore grilled veggies. Carrots and peppers especially are yum.
I loooove road trips!! I'm one of those weirdos who would rather drive everywhere than fly, just because I love the journey so much.

Safe travels and have a great time. Where are you headed?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Hello everyone! So pleased to receive an invite to participate in the thread.

I've recently been cooking a lot more and I really love it. I'm still not amazing at multi-tasking for various dishes at the same time, but I'm getting there. I'm all about finding new recipes on pinterest.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We have some family event this weekend so I was told to cook carrots.

After shuddering at the thought of cooking the poor things (seriously, I love raw carrots, but cooked is bleeehhhh), I asked my mum if I was supposed to use any particular recipe....and got silence. So I turned to google and found something about roasting them with fresh thyme, which is like the only edible thing growing in my garden. I picked some thyme out of the lawn and washed it; here's hoping it tastes good on carrots.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
We have some family event this weekend so I was told to cook carrots.

After shuddering at the thought of cooking the poor things (seriously, I love raw carrots, but cooked is bleeehhhh), I asked my mum if I was supposed to use any particular recipe....and got silence. So I turned to google and found something about roasting them with fresh thyme, which is like the only edible thing growing in my garden. I picked some thyme out of the lawn and washed it; here's hoping it tastes good on carrots.
Sounds delicious. <3

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Thyme is my favorite spice, as long as it's not ground. Fresh and dried are awesome, but ground is like dirt.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That shorts/pants thread has me wondering how weird I am.

I travel with an emergency change of clothes in my car just in case some shit goes down and I need to change. I have a pair of comfortable shoes, jeans, a shirt, a bra, socks, and underwear in a bag in my trunk. I've never heard of anyone else ever doing this but I like to think that if my car breaks down and I'm wearing a dress and heels or wedges I have a back-up in case I have to walk several miles or change a tire or something.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh gosh, I'm up a creek if I didn't keep a change of clothes in my car. One time after ballet class my fiancee and I were hungry and hadn't packed a change of clothes, so we just went to a bar in our leotards. It was a silly fun experience, but not one I intend to recreate.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come to think I'm gonna start carrying around a whole survival kit. What are some essential things that might come in handy in an emergency situation? I'm thinking a box of matches or a lighter, a nice flashlight, $100 in cash, a baggie of feminine products, A quart of oil, WD40, jumper cables.

I had to change a tire once and I couldn't for the life of me get the nuts off. I was literally jumping on the tire iron and it wasn't turning. It wasn't until I got my hands on some WD40 that I could get it to budge. :X

And a AAA membership.

I'm gonna be that person who's always prepared now. Would I be going overboard?

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
hey guys, kept slipping my mind to post in here, but hello! can't wait to hang out with you all! i'm really glad i got the invite so quickly — ironically, i didn't get approved for the sunken place until the very day shit hit the fan, lol. how's that for timely?

i actually need to vent a bit, if that's ok. i was hanging out in the park, killing time with a book until my shift, when some guy walks up to me and sits on my bench. i give him the cold shoulder, pretend he's not there, until i feel him burning holes into my forehead, so i force myself to look him in the eye.

he asks me what i'm doing. i tell him, in about four words, that i'm waiting for my shift to start. still doesn't get it, asks what game i'm playing. i tell him, it's a book. what book? decide to be honest — romance of the three kingdoms.

he seems to get it, picks himself up and walks away. i breathe a sigh of relief... until he comes back again, asking for my name. i cut to the chase, decide to be not so truthful, and tell him i'm a lesbian— which is at least half-true— so buzz off. you never know with some guys unfortunately, some of them positively drool over the idea of forbidden fruit, but this one got the picture and peaced out.

man, why are some guys like this? he really thought he was slick, too, like he's god's gift to mankind. seriously, like he's really gonna make me, some rando, fall head over heels for him just by showing up. how'd he like it, if some random chick shoved her nose in his business? it's not the bar, buddy, it's the park.

guess that's what i get for not bringing my headphones, huh?

anyway, on a lighter note, i always being a change of clothes everywhere, lol. i'm a bit of a fashionista, so i hate feeling underdressed. i even iron them and keep them in a sealed baggie, so they'll stay in tip top shape. i thought i was the only person who did this, so i feel a little less weird now, haha!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys, kept slipping my mind to post in here, but hello! can't wait to hang out with you all! i'm really glad i got the invite so quickly — ironically, i didn't get approved for the sunken place until the very day shit hit the fan, lol. how's that for timely?

i actually need to vent a bit, if that's ok. i was hanging out in the park, killing time with a book until my shift, when some guy walks up to me and sits on my bench. i give him the cold shoulder, pretend he's not there, until i feel him burning holes into my forehead, so i force myself to look him in the eye.

he asks me what i'm doing. i tell him, in about four words, that i'm waiting for my shift to start. still doesn't get it, asks what game i'm playing. i tell him, it's a book. what book? decide to be honest — romance of the three kingdoms.

he seems to get it, picks himself up and walks away. i breathe a sigh of relief... until he comes back again, asking for my name. i cut to the chase, decide to be not so truthful, and tell him i'm a lesbian— which is at least half-true— so buzz off. you never know with some guys unfortunately, some of them positively drool over the idea of forbidden fruit, but this one got the picture and peaced out.

man, why are some guys like this? he really thought he was slick, too, like he's god's gift to mankind. seriously, like he's really gonna make me, some rando, fall head over heels for him just by showing up. how'd he like it, if some random chick shoved her nose in his business? it's not the bar, buddy, it's the park.

guess that's what i get for not bringing my headphones, huh?

anyway, on a lighter note, i always being a change of clothes everywhere, lol. i'm a bit of a fashionista, so i hate feeling underdressed. i even iron them and keep them in a sealed baggie, so they'll stay in tip top shape. i thought i was the only person who did this, so i feel a little less weird now, haha!

Even with headphones, there are guys that simply don't get it. You could parade with a sign that says "I'm not interested, don't speak to me" and they still wouldn't get it, lol.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh so my fiance are on a road trip almost back home (went to visit his 'rents in Colorado.) and I had to go to some random the E.R. today because I was feeling sick and had a really bad pain in my side/abdomen.

I'm actually still here waiting on the results. I hope I don't have a damn kidney stone. :/

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a gallbladder. Lol. That was way worse. It's not a kidney stone though I found out. It's a UTI so that's pretty fun I guess.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
UTi's aren't pleasant, I've had 1 mild one and 4 major ones within the past 10 weeks and most likely currently have a 5th major one (will know Thursday). Been on as many antibiotic regimens but it just keeps coming back shortly after each 5-7 day antibiotic course ends. Hopefully it heals easy/fast for you!

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never one in my kidney before. Let that be a lesson to go pee after doing anything. We've been on a road trip and yeah. I feel stupid. Thanks for the kind words! I feel icky as hell. I was POSITIVE it was gonna be a kidney stone.

Last edited:

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
hey! i had an uti before, it was the worst, felt like i pissing fire— but i got through it! make sure to drink lots of fluid—like, lots, i'm talking about drowning yourself—and keep up on the antibiotics and you'll be right as rain in no time. thank god it wasn't a kidney stone, though. those are a nightmare.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
UTi's aren't pleasant, I've had 1 mild one and 4 major ones within the past 10 weeks and most likely currently have a 5th major one (will know Thursday). Been on as many antibiotic regimens but it just keeps coming back shortly after each 5-7 day antibiotic course ends. Hopefully it heals easy/fast for you!
Man, and I thought my 2 in a month was bad.

Being a woman is fucking terrible sometimes. Though my husband got a bad uti once somehow. That was interesting.

PixelParty

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I had over 10 UTIs in 7 months once... we eventually figured out the source. It's really gross, so I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag.

So obviously I kept going back again and again to the doctor, and the results always came back the same. UTI from the same bacteria.

We went through all of the usual stuff where the doctor assumes you are a completely disgusting moron until finally the doctor realized that I know not to wipe poop into my vagina (obvs).

After the 5th month, the doctor said, "Do you have shared laundry?"

Well, this was in San Francisco so yeah, we did.

Doctor: "I think they aren't getting the water hot enough or sterilizing the machines and that's what's causing you to get these frequent UTIs."

Of course my husband didn't believe it, thought that was absurd and impossible, the doctor's an idiot, and so on.

UNTIL...

a month later I got a terrible rash on my boobs that wouldn't go away with over the counter creams, so back to the doctor I went. This whole time I was have non-stop UTIs. I would get it, take the week of antibiotics, have one or two days of relief and then get another UTI.

Anyway, the doctor revealed to me that

I HAD ATHLETE'S FOOT ON MY BOOBS!!!!

From the fucking shared laundry.

I had been repeatedly and endlessly exposed to god-knows-what from washing my bras and underwear in these shared laundry machines (which we had to PAY TO USE, FOR FUCK'S SAKE), which is what was giving me the UTIs.

After getting FUCKING ATHLETE'S FOOT ON MY BOOBS my husband finally believed it was the laundry facilities that were causing the UTI problem.

The only solution was to move to a different place and by that time my endless rounds of UTIs had traveled upwards and upgraded to a kidney infection. Which in retrospect was a good thing because they used much stronger drugs to get rid of the kidney infection, it finally went away and my UTIs never returned.

The end.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can we please not post shock horror fiction in this thread plz

;_;

Seriously though that's awful and I'm glad you solved it, that sounds like a fucking nightmare!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I'm never gonna use those shared laundry machines.

I'm getting my own washer, thank you very much.