• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention I'm an only child so I was my mom's only chance. Just remembered my MIL doesn't have any grandchildren as well. She has my husband and two daughters. Both girls are over 40 and unmarried, so the ship has mostly sailed there. I think she's accepted it at this point.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lucky, I guess, my parents are the only ones that didn't pressure us to have kids. Other family bothered us, but I had a plan and I didn't care if they didn't like it, that was probably helped by my parents not saying anything about it.
If my kids don't want kids I'll understand, kids are a ridiculous amount of work and worry. I'll feel a little sad that they won't get to experience the joys of teaching their child how to walk and talk, how to read, and all those little things, but it's their choice. Maybe they'll travel the world instead or become a Splatoon world champion, who knows.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect world, I think I'd want kids. But the pressures of daily life, especially with my (relatively minor) disabilities, would just be too much for my husband and me whenever I think about it. Since there's certainly no fertility shortage and our genes are kind of shit, there's really no reason for us to have kids except out of some sense of obligation. We've had thoughts of fostering/adopting an older child, but I still think it would be too much at this point. Maybe when our herd of cats is thinned a bit and my husband has a less stressful job.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I want a kid :).

I think I'm going to start trying at the end of the year. It will mean giving up my career, but c'est la vie.

My job pays very well, but I'd rather make way less as a part time college instructor (which is what I plan to switch to) and take care of the household/child. I've always wanted to read to my kid and teach it how to play piano and do math and stuff.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I want kids. The thought of bringing kids into this messed up world is pretty disturbing to me though. I wish I could see into the future before making that sort of decision. My fiancé feels just about the same. On the other hand, I really want to see what our kids would look like :P

On a semi related topic, I just learned that the husband stitch is a thing and I'm pretty shook.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
My mother knocking on the bathroom door while I'm peeing will never not result in me getting upset with her. Why does she need to knock on the door and tell me to get out all the time to do stuff when I'll be done in a few seconds anyway. I can't tell if I'm being reasonable or just reverting to a teenager.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
My mother knocking on the bathroom door while I'm peeing will never not result in me getting upset with her. Why does she need to knock on the door and tell me to get out all the time to do stuff when I'll be done in a few seconds anyway. I can't tell if I'm being reasonable or just reverting to a teenager.
what... that's totally uncalled for of her. Have you asked her why she's so impatient?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty lucky in regards to my mother as I'm the eldest of 3 daughters at 26 but she hasn't put any pressure on me to have kids or anything. I knew I wanted to be a mother/have kids since I was around 5 (when I was much older of course haha) but with my anxiety, extremely low income/no job and bit of debt means having kids right now would be extremely reckless of me. Plan to hopefully get all that sorted by the end of next year then hopefully worry about kids afterwards.

That's just... who she is. Expects the world to move aside when she walks and for me to drop everything and help her when she randomly decides she's going to do something.

I'm sorry :( -hugs-

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Welp my husband was just diagnosed with a condition that may lead to terminal cancer in a few decades. It's not certain, but the chance is there and it's incurable. He can make some changes to lower his chances of it progressing though. He's going to get more serious in terms of lifestyle changes, and is going to make a big effort to get a less stressful job, as that's what seems to trigger his symptoms the most. Even if it's a big paycut, we don't really care as long as it offers health insurance. His health is the primary priority at this point.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Welp my husband was just diagnosed with a condition that may lead to terminal cancer in a few decades. It's not certain, but the chance is there and it's incurable. He can make some changes to lower his chances of it progressing though. He's going to get more serious in terms of lifestyle changes, and is going to make a big effort to get a less stressful job, as that's what seems to trigger his symptoms the most. Even if it's a big paycut, we don't really care as long as it offers health insurance. His health is the primary priority at this point.

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully that chance never happens and the changes have minimal effects for the both of you. I'll be wishing the best for the both of you

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Damn Linkura! I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be terrified if that happened to me or my SO. Best of luck with getting health insurance (US, I imagine? :( ugh...) and preventive care.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Linkura! I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be terrified if that happened to me or my SO. Best of luck with getting health insurance (US, I imagine? :( ugh...) and preventive care.
Thanks. Yeah, US. We have great insurance through his current employer, but it seems unlikely he can stay there with his current stress level. He's even told me that his meds generally work... except when he's being stressed at work. Not a good sign. I only work part time due to my health as well and don't work enough hours to get health insurance through my employer.

Fuck this country's shitty healthcare system.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
I want to thank everyone for the advice you gave awhile back! I have an update. The guy I was having issues with now refuses to work with any of us. Our team got shuffled around to different projects. I got on a team with one of my previous team members and another woman, which is a relief. I have no idea what happened to that other guy and frankly don't want to know, I can't imagine he's going to last long.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

That's awful news, Linkura. I hope that the changes you two plan to make work out for the best.

I'm not often piping up in this thread but it's nice to receive a reminder from the era group that you're looking out for the women here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful news, Linkura. I hope that the changes you two plan to make work out for the best.

I'm not often piping up in this thread but it's nice to receive a reminder from the era group that you're looking out for the women here.
Thanks. Upon further discussion, talking with the doctor, etc, it seems like my husband may have been spooked by Dr. Google. If he keeps a healthy lifestyle, there is really only a small chance he'll get the cancer, and it'll be decades from now. But at least it will spur some positive lifestyle changes. I have been trying to get him to exercise more for years.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Upon further discussion, talking with the doctor, etc, it seems like my husband may have been spooked by Dr. Google. If he keeps a healthy lifestyle, there is really only a small chance he'll get the cancer, and it'll be decades from now. But at least it will spur some positive lifestyle changes. I have been trying to get him to exercise more for years.

Go to google for cough causes, come out that you have cancer!

But in seriousness glad to hear that it's far more unlikely then expected, Once again wishing the best for for both of you!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Go to google for cough causes, come out that you have cancer!

But in seriousness glad to hear that it's far more unlikely then expected, Once again wishing the best for for both of you!
Thanks. This is the first real health issue my husband has had so I think he got wayyyyy too anxious about it. He has calmed down a lot now.

Funny that you mention a cough. He went to an ent and mentioned he was having recurring coughing. The ent was the one who realized it was likely GERD and referred him to a GI doctor. I fucking love our ent, he's the one doctor who finally believed me regarding my chronic sinusitis and performed my sinus surgery. <3

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh, I have GERD too Linkura . I'm not even 30 yet, am not overweight, don't drink much, etc. Mine is purely stress related, and yeah the risk of getting cancer in your esophagus is pretty high if it goes untreated.

Apparently, what all my doctor-friends have said, is that it's mostly related to either stress or poor physical health.

I was on Prilosec for like six months, but taking PPIs long term is bad too, so I got off it. Now I eat Tums like crazy, stopped drinking coffee, cut back on chocolate, and am hoping my life is less stressful eventually. We'll see.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I have GERD too Linkura . I'm not even 30 yet, am not overweight, don't drink much, etc. Mine is purely stress related, and yeah the risk of getting cancer in your esophagus is pretty high if it goes untreated.

Apparently, what all my doctor-friends have said, is that it's mostly related to either stress or poor physical health.

I was on Prilosec for like six months, but taking PPIs long term is bad too, so I got off it. Now I eat Tums like crazy, stopped drinking coffee, cut back on chocolate, and am hoping my life is less stressful eventually. We'll see.
Yeah, my husband is 41, skinny (6 feet, <160 pounds), teetotaler except for maybe once or twice a year. It's stress. Yep, his doc prescribed him Prilosec, but I know it's not good long term. Zantac had kind of stopped working for him. :/ Re: Tums, I use them too for my IBS, but apparently you shouldn't be taking more than 2000mg of calcium carbonate a day or else you risk ill effects from that. So I'm trying to limit my usage of them.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah, my husband is 41, skinny (6 feet, <160 pounds), teetotaler except for maybe once or twice a year. It's stress. Yep, his doc prescribed him Prilosec, but I know it's not good long term. Zantac had kind of stopped working for him. :/ Re: Tums, I use them too for my IBS, but apparently you shouldn't be taking more than 2000mg of calcium carbonate a day or else you risk ill effects from that. So I'm trying to limit my usage of them.

Such is the life of people with stressful jobs I guess. :<

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a perfume that smells similar to Avon's Sweet Honesty. I've been wearing it for 20+ years but I'm turning 30 soon and thinking maybe I should not be wearing a children's perfume anymore but I really, really love the scent and there's a sentimental value there.

I know this is an old as fuck post but I think I have some suggestions that can help you in case you still wondering about it. But first, you shouldn't stop wearing something you love because of silly labels! Sweet Honesty actually is part of a perfume trend that relied heavily on Chanel's vintage perfumes style (so, very chic and not childish at all). So just enjoy it!

But just in case, here are some suggestions in line with it in case you want to try it:

Blumarine - Blumarine II
Chanel - Chanel N° 22
Ulric de Varens - Ciel
Jennifer Lopez - Eau de Glow

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How to wear leggings/tights when tall? never seen a pair, even marked tall, that really worked without overstretching problems, etc.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
How to wear leggings/tights when tall? never seen a pair, even marked tall, that really worked without overstretching problems, etc.

Be like me and have stubby legs and require petite sizes at 5'8 :,( Though i tend to have the opposite problem (though mostly with skinny jeans/pants rather then leggings) where there's extra fabric on the lower butt/upper thigh area and it's fairly unflattering and wholly unrepresentative unlike the rare proper fitting pair of stubby jeans/pants as even some petite sizing can be a bit long. I understand the feels.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
More and more lately, I find myself opting out of threads I'm interested in because of the overwhelming air of hostile dismissal on this forum. I was reading the Patrick Klepek article about reviews over breakfast and went in to the thread expecting an interesting discussion, especially since it's attracted so many replies. And instead the entire first page is littered with replies that amount to "who gives a fuck? this is stupid." It's obvious most people haven't read the article and many commenters seem angry that the article even exists.

I could go on to read all 17 pages that currently exist in the thread. And then I could craft my own thoughtful post, defending Patrick's viewpoint. But I already know I'm likely to be met with dismissal myself. And instead of discussing the interesting points Patrick raises, I'll be stuck arguing that a point exists to be raised in the first place. It's an exhausting exercise in futility, and I'm not sure I want to spend a beautiful spring day engaging with it.

And it's not just that thread. I see it all the time on here. There are lots of great posters who write interesting OPs, and the first three pages of the thread are full of "ugh, whatever."

I'm only bringing it up here, because this is something I've only experienced in male-majority spaces online and it's why I usually burn out and give up on them. It seems like some sort of macho one-upmanship, but I'm not sure I have enough insight to really understand it. I just know I prefer the female-majority spaces I frequent. There can still be some tension and people occasionally try to one up each other in different ways, but being completely dismissive is looked down upon and just doesn't... happen. I feel like I can say something and I might get disagreement (and sometimes it's rude), but it feels better to get disagreement — which is still engaging with my point — than to get "this is stupid and you're stupid for posting it."

I took a break from here for a while, because I felt like the negativity was affecting my mood. And having come back, it all seems worse than before, but I'm not sure if I'm just noticing it more or if its real.

I don't know. I want to talk to people about games and other things. Have discussions. Instead, I feel like I'd be positioning myself as the "voice of reason" against an immoveable wall. Which, first of all, seems like an obnoxious way of thinking about myself, and, more importantly, isn't what I want to spend my time on when I can be enjoying myself elsewhere.

But ALL THAT ASIDE. I have a Skype interview tomorrow for a job at a library I'd love to have. I'm more than qualified and I think I'd be awesome at it, so here's hoping I finally break my streak of terrible video interviews (I hate them!!) and can get that across. It's just an initial interview, so I'm trying not to put too much importance on it. Just have to focus to advancing to that in-person interview, so I can really wow them!

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
if anyone here has a discord invite do you mind sharing? Thank you ♥

I'm only bringing it up here, because this is something I've only experienced in male-majority spaces online and it's why I usually burn out and give up on them.
I haven't noticed this discrepancy personally, but that's probably just the fact I haven't been looking for it. It is pretty weird how some people are so threatened by a conversation happening that they won't even let other people have it when they're clearly not interested. I don't know what the solution is because neither confronting it nor ignoring it seems to help.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Thanks everyone! I already work in a bookstore (look at me over here potentially hoarding all the book related jobs), but I could really use the extra income. I'm looking at moving in the fall, and my finances have been stressing me out. So I looked at a job board on the day I was panicking the most and happened to see this library job. The exact position I applied for was filled but they contacted me about one at a different branch, so... fingers crossed!

I haven't noticed this discrepancy personally, but that's probably just the fact I haven't been looking for it. It is pretty weird how some people are so threatened by a conversation happening that they won't even let other people have it when they're clearly not interested. I don't know what the solution is because neither confronting it nor ignoring it seems to help.

See this is exactly what I want to see on here! You haven't noticed the same thing, but you didn't invalidate what I said. This should just be basic communication, right??

I do think it could in large part just be because I stay on sites that let me curate what I see and don't see. Like, I stay off Twitter because it's such a trash fire, and that winds up insulating me from a lot. I think I was just hoping this could be a more positive or productive forum for talking about games, and I've been disappointed in what it feels like culture of the site has become.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
See this is exactly what I want to see on here! You haven't noticed the same thing, but you didn't invalidate what I said. This should just be basic communication, right??

I do think it could in large part just be because I stay on sites that let me curate what I see and don't see. Like, I stay off Twitter because it's such a trash fire, and that winds up insulating me from a lot. I think I was just hoping this could be a more positive or productive forum for talking about games, and I've been disappointed in what it feels like culture of the site has become.
Well I'm assuming you're being honest about your experience since really there's no reason not to.

Curiously enough, Twitter is one of the better communities as far as positivity goes for me. I try to only follow people who encourage positivity and share cool things, which I think helps reduce the amount of people who thrive on complaining and attacking.

There is a good conversation to be had about how much insulation is healthy for a person. I'm sure it's different depending on whom and where in their life they are. I know I've made liberal usage of ignore features on platforms that support them.

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone! I already work in a bookstore (look at me over here potentially hoarding all the book related jobs), but I could really use the extra income. I'm looking at moving in the fall, and my finances have been stressing me out. So I looked at a job board on the day I was panicking the most and happened to see this library job. The exact position I applied for was filled but they contacted me about one at a different branch, so... fingers crossed!

Hope the interview goes well ^_^

And while I don't know how much more common this is in male-dominated spaces, I'd say it's common in male nerd-dominated spaces. I think many people drawn to traditionally nerdy things often feel inadequate in some way. We all know how common having to prove yourself as a "real nerd" is; that doesn't come from nowhere. Sometimes it's like you're taking a damn test about your own relaxing hobby. It also doesn't help that some people tie way too much of their life to videogames, so that any sort of deviation from their "center" is seen as a personal attack. It's compounded by the fact that because they're being aggressive, they think other people are too. It's frustrating, and I also feel like we have a large amount of trolls on this site. I'm sick of typing up a paragraph or two, and someone comes along and picks out one sentence and hyper-focuses on it. I don't even engage then. It's obvious they aren't interested in a conversation.