• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys mind if I quote some of your posts saying you are avoiding the thread (I can remove the usernames), just to show the rest of ERA what it's like for women to read threads like these?

I would do that only to show that no, it's not just "4 radical fringe feminists on an internet forum" who are exasperated by this topic, by showing that many DO care but just can't be arsed to engage in further debate.

I don't mind either. It's really disheartening to see how this was supposed to be a new start for everyone yet minorities still being talked down to or straight up ignored.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I just found a really neat project.

My favorite is the D.VA one! (by Ena Kim)

GirlGifChallenge_DVA_EnaKim_GIF.gif
Those are absolutely amazing! I love that D.va one and the variety of ladies chosen is awesome!

Just wanted to chime in: if you're considering Shutterfly, try Zno. I think the latter has much higher quality.
Thanks for the suggestion! That's actually one I haven't heard of before. I'll check them out for sure.

I've also been slowly catching up with the thread, but I will admit that I am also guilty of just flat out ignoring those types of threads or really anything that has to do with the treatment of women in games and sexualization in media. I probably shouldn't, but I try not to make a habit of arguing with brick walls that have no interest in trying to see things from your perspective and just think you're out to take away their sexy video game characters.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Didn't the guy who created that thread said he didn't care if the designs were sexist or not? I mean, that tells you everything you need to know really.

edit: wait sorry, I mean one of the main posters in that thread didn't care if it were sexist or not. Some of the designs they liked were pretty horrendous animu ones lol.

But yeah, I really can't be bothered with those types of threads. Most people do not want to hear minority's opinions. It's very selfish.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the guy who created that thread said he didn't care if the designs were sexist or not? I mean, that tells you everything you need to know really.

But yeah, I really can't be bothered with those types of threads. Most people do not want to hear minority's opinions. It's very selfish.
Nah, this was more of a response to that thread. The first thread was by a dude and was basically "not all sexy women are bad, okay?" And this one was created by one of the reGALS; "why women criticize sexualized designs" and things got heated

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Nah, this was more of a response to that thread. The first thread was by a dude and was basically "not all sexy women are bad, okay?" And this one was created by one of the reGALS; "why women criticize sexualized designs" and things got heated
Oh that's right, I'm getting my threads mixed up haha.

I always love the excuses of terrible designs like "she breathes through her skin" or her butthole is on display throughout the game to show how vulnerable she is to the player or somethinggggggggggg augghhhhhh. Just admit that pervy men make these games to sell to the masses of horny young men.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's right, I'm getting my threads mixed up haha.

I always love the excuses of terrible designs like "she breathes through her skin" or her butthole is on display throughout the game to show how vulnerable she is to the player or somethinggggggggggg augghhhhhh. Just admit that pervy men make these games to sell to the masses of horny young men.

I almost spit my tea out lmfao

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks guys. Posted your quotes. I doubt it'll really help, but maybe a few people will gain some awareness... maybe...

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After that one thread, I keep noticing every time someone in here says "guys".

XD

/non sequitur

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
Something that came up in the other thread that I wanted to talk about but don't really want to post there, so I'll post here, is the idea of women being interlopers in game spaces. I've been playing games for almost 30 years, so I've seen just about everything, and this argument has been around for awhile but I think it became the most prevalent around a decade ago. Think about that, a decade. Some of the guys using that argument were probably just starting to play games themselves when the argument became popular. You'd think at some point women would just be in games, but no, always the invader.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After that one thread, I keep noticing every time someone in here says "guys".

XD

/non sequitur
There was that early thread ("early" being like a week ago) that asked if you often used "guys" as a catch-all term to mean everyone, and I said I didn't. But since then, I've realized that I actually do and just never thought about it, and now I try not to for real.

kliklik

Oct 26, 2017
Orio - I think you're bang on. I saw it emerge with the Wii's launch, which was just about a decade ago. I was on various Nintendo forums at the time, and there was an unmistakeable growing resentment over Nintendo's blue ocean strategy. "Casual gamers" was used as a euphemism for female players and often interchangeably, barely concealing their disdain. The sentiment was that with Nintendo paying attention to a female audience, resources were being diverted from creating games for hardcore (male) gamers. Now we had Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and a bunch of casual junk aimed at women! That women, due to their lack of skill, were the root cause of dumbed-down games. It did sound very us (male hardcore gamers) vs them (interloping female casual players), as if women were the enemy – sirens who were leading devs astray until the entire gaming industry gets beached on the rocks.

Nat 619

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, everyone. I found this through that other thread, which was pretty exhausting just to read, let alone try to post. Credit to those of you who can do it.

Late to the FF6 chat, but it's definitely worth it. I liked Terra as a character (though she's not as interesting as Celes), but I find her annoying in Dissidia.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
kliklik It's true, the resentment over the Wii's success (which extends beyond just women to older gamers, parents and kids) was really disturbing. The fact that that resentment STILL lingers shows a really pathetic hatred at the idea that anything could be successful in the game space without going through their gatekeeping. That if they don't like it, it must be not for real gamers, or the games themselves aren't real.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't until about the late 80s and early 90s--when video games were marketed as toys for boys--that the idea cropped up that games weren't meant for girls, and the developers responded to the dropped female audience. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy that has only been brought into question recently.

I grew up with pokemon and every kid in my first grade class either had a gameboy or watched kids play one, as pokemon was a genderless and fun game experience. I had sixth graders challenging me to battle, I had fourth graders trading with me to fill their pokedexes. It didn't matter your age or gender. Games were for everyone was the message I got.

But as I started to use the internet, I came across guys that were mad that girls were playing "their" games. I never came across this attitude in real life so I thought it was a joke. And maybe it was, at first. But I think the mid 2000s with it's pandering character designs, dudebro marketing and generic white man protagonists only solidified this idea. I remember about 2006 to 2008 I took a video game hiatus (maybe I was tired of being told I couldn't play them). The game that brought me back was The World End With You. I loved it to death. A game were it was just a fun romp like the RPGs I used to play, with a modern setting and better writing than most games of my youth? Sign me up!

Then I played Assassin's Creed, and realised that games were evolving on a technological scale. I played more games, ignoring the whiny boys. I sunk a ton of time to the Assassin's Creed multiplayer and became a top player. I was having fun again! The Last of Us had a great character in Ellie and Naughty Dog steamrolled a company that removed her from an advertisement, and fought to put her on the box art in clear view. Yes, I thought, the game industry is improving!

So I always want to just roll my eyes when guys say that "that's just how game design is". No, it's not! Ask for change in the industry, don't support games that you don't agree with their design choices. Go to panels or Q&As and ask them why something is like is, if they can't rationalize it logically in two seconds you know they didn't think about it. Make them think about it.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,
I use guys all the time as a generic term for a group, I see no reason to change it. I still call people dude from time to time regardless of gender. Just wanted you guys to know.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't until about the late 80s and early 90s--when video games were marketed as toys for boys--that the idea cropped up that games weren't meant for girls, and the developers responded to the dropped female audience. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy that has only been brought into question recently.

I grew up with pokemon and every kid in my first grade class either had a gameboy or watched kids play one, as pokemon was a genderless and fun game experience. I had sixth graders challenging me to battle, I had fourth graders trading with me to fill their pokedexes. It didn't matter your age or gender. Games were for everyone was the message I got.

But as I started to use the internet, I came across guys that were mad that girls were playing "their" games. I never came across this attitude in real life so I thought it was a joke. And maybe it was, at first. But I think the mid 2000s with it's pandering character designs, dudebro marketing and generic white man protagonists only solidified this idea. I remember about 2006 to 2008 I took a video game hiatus (maybe I was tired of being told I couldn't play them). The game that brought me back was The World End With You. I loved it to death. A game were it was just a fun romp like the RPGs I used to play, with a modern setting and better writing than most games of my youth? Sign me up!

Then I played Assassin's Creed, and realised that games were evolving on a technological scale. I played more games, ignoring the whiny boys. I sunk a ton of time to the Assassin's Creed multiplayer and became a top player. I was having fun again! The Last of Us had a great character in Ellie and Naughty Dog steamrolled a company that removed her from an advertisement, and fought to put her on the box art in clear view. Yes, I thought, the game industry is improving!

So I always want to just roll my eyes when guys say that "that's just how game design is". No, it's not! Ask for change in the industry, don't support games that you don't agree with their design choices. Go to panels or Q&As and ask them why something is like is, if they can't rationalize it logically in two seconds you know they didn't think about it. Make them think about it.

Wonderfully written, thanks for writing this :D

My experiences were similar, except through a gay male lens. I never felt like gaming was ever for a specific type of person, but for everyone. I grew up on Pokemon too and share a lot of those same perspectives. It wasn't until I started frequenting the internet till I learned how gate-keepy the subculture is. I never knew asking for more gay characters and humanized women would elicit such defensive responses. They feel like we're taking their toys away and that they somehow "earned" them. There's also a lot of double standards. (Side note: Obviously when I say "they" I only mean a specific demographic of men, not all of them.)

Western games are at least progressing at a decent rate, Japanese games are still making their way it seems (and in some ways, have regressed).

And then there's the whole "let the creator do what they want" shtick, which was never the point. Their creation isn't immune to criticism, most people accept that for things like narrative and gameplay but draw some proverbial line when it comes to representation. I wonder why.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hi, everyone. I found this through that other thread, which was pretty exhausting just to read, let alone try to post. Credit to those of you who can do it.

Late to the FF6 chat, but it's definitely worth it. I liked Terra as a character (though she's not as interesting as Celes), but I find her annoying in Dissidia.

Hey a mod in the Why women criticise sexualised character designs thread mentioned this place exists and a lot of you didn't wanna touch that thread like me due to how tiring that is

how you going peeps
Also shout to Persephone for making all these super articulate well written topics
Hey, welcome to you both!

I noticed that I use "guys" a lot. I also use dude regardless of gender haha.

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help the guys, I think it might be a regional thing to me.

Just waded into that thread, don't know why I did that...

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! Just found this thread thanks to the mod post in that other one. It's a huge relief after reading just 2 pages of that.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
"dude" has been gender-neutral to me for so long i can't even imagine it having been used otherwise
Hahah same here. I try not to use it online because of regional differences, but to me everything is "dude". My brother, my dog, my computer... xD

edit: "Bro" too, I just remembered. Everything is either bro or dude heh xP

Last edited:

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a fan of the Wii's success because I felt it "ruined" Nintendo for me. I really loved a lot of the GameCube output, but the Wii's focus on motion control was extremely off-putting.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Also found this place after seeing the mod post in you-know-what-thread, so um. . .hiya!

I just made an account at the old place right before it burnt down, but I managed to luck into slipping into here pretty quick.

. . .I'm stuck on how to follow that up, haha.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Whoa, didn't think my post would attract so much... <Diablo voice> fresh meat.

You know what to do, ladies. Get 'em in the Hazing Grinder of Doom!

....What? We're not doing this anymore? Oh...

No but seriously, hi there, glad to have y'all with us :)

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know, the title didn't mimic GirlGAF so it was hard to find. Tried to fix it!

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
well for a positive topic
Anyone watching the good place?

This is SUCH a good show! I haven't seen last week's episode, but everything about it makes me happy. I love how absurdly hilarious it is, and how it tends to go all in on its plots. Sad that we're going to have to wait until January for more episodes!

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm dying to make a thread called "Do you date/hook up with short people."

But that's just cruel.

Sera - OMIGOD I LOVE THAT SHOWWWW.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Short and/or balding people***.

***we all know what people means.

"WOMEN ARE SUCH SHALLOW EMOTIONAL CREATURES INCAPABLE OF LOVEEEEEEEEEEE. THE WORLD IS SO HARD."

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever make a women's fashion OT? I don't have a link to one and I'm not sure one was made.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, another one here who's just learned of this thread, so happy to have found you :) *flops onto sofa with pint mug of tea* I had an account at the old place for a while but mainly lurked so I doubt anyone knows me!

Been reading the sexualisation thread and I just can't bear to get involved tbh, literally what is the point, I'm too old now to argue with dudes on the internet telling me what the females should think, ive spent too much time doing that in the past and it's just pissing in the wind. Before I even read the thread I wondered how long itd be before someone mentioned romance novel covers and someone actually posted some, I was lmao. They'll never get it.

well for a positive topic
Anyone watching the good place?

Yes, it's utterly fantastic, dat first season OMG, and Ted Danson is an utter treasure. I love how on the surface it seems like your average silly sitcom but it's actually really well plotted and the characters are fantastic.