• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel so out of place re the creepy DMs lol. It's such a rare occurrence, if ever, for me.

But yeah, noticed it a bit more too lately.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even dare look at it cus I know how it would go. How bad was it? Not brave enough to sneak a peak lol
It's not that bad imo, but I have a certain attitude variance from monkey lol.

One woman saying a thing To a male means all women believe it, of course. No other woman contradicting her will ever be listened to because that first lady writes in runic.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
"Tall men get paid more and are more likely to become CEOs" --> "Oh well"
"A woman said to me she'd never date a man shorter than her" --> [mass theorising about why women are like this]

And as for bald men, who are no doubt thinking of stereotypes about the pathetic, sweaty, middle-aged bald loser. Gee, I wonder who proliferated that character archetype?

Men engaging other men about either of these traits being undesirable happens on era at least once a year for each of them, but I don't think they appear together in one thread all that often, so I appreciate the efficiency in figuring out how to blame women for them not getting laid.

I would love to know the overlap between men who lament women turning them down because they're too short/bald and the men who insist that certain things are "just a preference" (hair colour, specific body types, race, etc.)

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that bad imo, but I have a certain attitude variance from monkey lol.

One woman saying a thing To a male means all women believe it, of course. No other woman contradicting her will ever be listened to because that first lady writes in runic.

Also other men saying that they are relatively short or bold and not experiencing it as a problem also get more or less ignored. Well I guess it is quite human to look for information that enforces what you already believe. Still sad though.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I just think it's interesting how modern online dating has turned the tables on men. As in, now they're realizing what it's like to not be considered as a partner solely on your looks.

I mean, as a chick, I've always felt it was that way for a long time for us. Sure, we can be smart or nice or chill, but if we weren't pretty it's like being short and bald. Physical appearance has always been most important for us.

I don't really think it's a big deal. I mean, people have physical preferences. I wouldn't prefer anyone with a complex about their height or hair. I'm shallow too ofc, my husband is tall with thick, luscious hair and I like it and would be lying if I said I preferred otherwise, but who cares. It doesn't affect me if I think majority of dudes would prefer a lady that is younger than me with bigger boobs and a prettier face. I'm sure tons of men have ruled me out because of that in the past. Physical preferences are what they are.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Meet the heroic hacker of the capitol hill riots

She did absolutely AMAZING work! She's the best!

Just before Amazon suspended Parler's web hosting at the end of the weekend, she could scrape and archive 99 percent of all posts from Parler.

The story:
arstechnica.com

Parler’s amateur coding could come back to haunt Capitol Hill rioters

Some 80 terabytes of posts, many already deleted, preserved for posterity.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wanted to share with you all what's the possibly the coolest thing you'll see today:
rdlrpabg6wa61.png

Looks like a JRPG final boss in her final form :D

Apparently it's a depiction of this Slavic goddess

Bonus: slavic female-fronted metal band Arkona wrote a song about her!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to share with you all what's the possibly the coolest thing you'll see today:
rdlrpabg6wa61.png

Looks like a JRPG final boss in her final form :D

Apparently it's a depiction of this Slavic goddess

Bonus: slavic female-fronted metal band Arkona wrote a song about her!

This is neat! Though I admit I thought I was looking at Wednesday from Adams Family when I saw her face haha

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I already made a thread about a video essay today, so I'll just drop this here. I saw this when it first came out and I've been waiting for an essay like this since.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I already made a thread about a video essay today, so I'll just drop this here. I saw this when it first came out and I've been waiting for an essay like this since.

Will watch. I've been seeing a lot of these pop up in the last year or so.

youtu.be

The Redemption of JENNIFER'S BODY | Explained

Try out HelloFresh! https://bit.ly/30QCqMuGet $80 off and FREE shipping by using code AMANDA80 ~~Wanna support the show?~~https://www.Patreon.com/AmandaTheJe...

Less in depth and more about the movie itself but she spends about the first 8 minutes talking about the marketing.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

We definitely owe Megan Fox and Diablo Cody a huge apology!! Jennifer's Body is such a great movie. I love it so much.

That was a very good (and very infuriating) video, thanks for sharing.

Another great essay I really like about Jennifer's Body is this one. I very highly recommend you give it a watch when you got time. It's amazing:

I think I'll rewatch the movie tonight.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I don't know if I'm brave enough today to make a thread about this. I can imagine the first few tl;Dr posts >.<

At least I have more video essays to watch now whee!

Thanks guys.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I don't know if I'm brave enough today to make a thread about this. I can imagine the first few tl;Dr posts >.<

At least I have more video essays to watch now whee!

Thanks guys.

I would love a thread about this! But yeah, it would need to be properly framed... Take your time :)

I can't (actually I can) believe what Diablo Cody had to face with both Juno and Jennifer's Body...

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I would love a thread about this! But yeah, it would need to be properly framed... Take your time :)

I can't (actually I can) believe what Diablo Cody had to face with both Juno and Jennifer's Body...
I did it >.<

www.resetera.com

Why Jennifer's Body Failed

This is the essay I've been waiting for since I watched Jennifer's Body in theaters and was baffled by the reception. I know a lot of people are going to have knee-jerk reactions to this topic, so all I ask is you keep an open mind and watch the video.

This is me just throwing it on a page and hoping it's framed well enough and seeing what happens lol

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I did it >.<

www.resetera.com

This is the essay I've been waiting for since I watched Jennifer's Body in theaters and was baffled by the reception. I know a lot of people are going to have knee-jerk reactions to this topic, so all I ask is you keep an open mind and watch the video.

This is me just throwing it on a page and hoping it's framed well enough and seeing what happens lol

Yay! Once I watch the video, I'll be sure to comment.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I did it >.<

www.resetera.com

Awesome! Writing a preliminary post now. Depending how the discussion goes, I will definitely post more. I have a lot to say about this.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I'm a bit bummed out that the conversion in the Jennifer's Body thread couldn't really take off around the premise of the OP. Most posts seem to be drive-by comments without any consideration for the reasons a thread was made about this movie.

I'm beginning to understand what a lot of you were saying about women being ignored in this forum and how things were forced through the perspective of men a lot of times... and all of this is sadly really typical for a conversation about Jennifer's Body.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't go in this thread for your mental health if you're having a bad day.
Same ol same ol.

www.resetera.com

Taylor Swift calls out Netflix for sexist joke

TSwift went off on Netflix for featuring a show with a deeply sexist "joke" I guess this raises an interesting question - should Netflix be held responsible for the regressive contents of its shows?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Any of you have seen the new YA movie Moxie from Netflix?

I watched this yesterday evening and thought it was pretty good! It's a kind of light feminist activism story with high school students. It was funny and touching, very well done. One thing I absolutely loved in this is how they highlighted it was OK and important for men to also take part in feminism. We very rarely see that much needed aspect in stories and I thought it was well made in a very natural way, especially for a YA movie.

It was funny to me how they highlighted a few songs from Bikini Kill. As cliché as it is, I thought it worked well. And it definitely brought me back to my teenage years so of course I liked it, lol! And shout out to Amy Poehler as the mom, she was perfect!

I looked at some reviews this morning and wow... it has not been well received at all. And I completely disagree with most of what I read. A lot of them are saying the movie doesn't go far enough and that this kind of "feminism 101" isn't needed for today's youth. Regarding the first point, well, it's a YA movie, what do you expect exactly? And about the second, I completely disagree that it isn't needed. I would argue that it's more needed than ever, especially when it's made in such an accessible and respectful way as in this movie. And once again, I was impressed about the message it's sending about feminism and men. I don't see that aspect a lot in "feminism 101" stuff.

So all in all, I had a good time. If you like YA stuff, it's a good movie.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a bit bummed out that the conversion in the Jennifer's Body thread couldn't really take off around the premise of the OP. Most posts seem to be drive-by comments without any consideration for the reasons a thread was made about this movie.

I'm beginning to understand what a lot of you were saying about women being ignored in this forum and how things were forced through the perspective of men a lot of times... and all of this is sadly really typical for a conversation about Jennifer's Body.
To be fair, it's not just women who are ignored. People not reading OPs and posting drive-bys reacting to the thread title is a forum-wide problem across every single type of topic there is. 😂

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Allen v. Farrow thread just sent me into a tailspin. I'm feeling close to a panic attack for the first time in years.

Think I'm done with Era, at least for now. Love y'all and wish you all the best.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I made a thread about an amazing video essay by Broey Deschanel talking about bisexuality in film and TV, femme fatale characters, cat-and-mouse spy thrillers, the feminine gaze, and how the TV show Killing Eve fits into all that. I think some of you might find this interesting.

I particularly like the part about the feminine gaze, and Fiction, it made me think a bit about the conversation we recently had about the movie Jennifer's Body.

Go take a look!

www.resetera.com

Broey Deschanel: Killing Eve, bisexuality in film and TV, spy thrillers, and the feminine gaze

Here's a brilliant video essay by (the great) Broey Deschanel about bisexuality in film and TV, femme fatale characters, cat-and-mouse spy thrillers, the feminine gaze, and how the TV show Killing Eve fits into all that. Highly, highly recommended! As far as video essays go it's not that long, a...

Last edited:

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ughhh is there anything that can be done about heavy bleeding?

I am on day three of my period and it's kicking my ass this time around. There's just a lot of blood. I'm using one of those big pads and even then it's having a hard time soaking in all my body is letting out. It's been a long while it was this bad and honestly it feels like this is the worst it's been.

Any tips or I just gotta ride this wave of extremely heavy flow?

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Ughhh is there anything that can be done about heavy bleeding?

I am on day three of my period and it's kicking my ass this time around. There's just a lot of blood. I'm using one of those big pads and even then it's having a hard time soaking in all my body is letting out. It's been a long while it was this bad and honestly it feels like this is the worst it's been.

Any tips or I just gotta ride this wave of extremely heavy flow?
It won't help in the short term, but going onto birth control pills really lightened my flow in general. I wouldn't say I was a heavy bleeder before, but now it's rare for my period to last more than 3-4 days.

Otherwise, you might want to consider a diva cup (they make them to accommodate for heavy flows) or super tampons. I absolutely hate pads.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It won't help in the short term, but going onto birth control pills really lightened my flow in general. I wouldn't say I was a heavy bleeder before, but now it's rare for my period to last more than 3-4 days.

Otherwise, you might want to consider a diva cup (they make them to accommodate for heavy flows) or super tampons. I absolutely hate pads.
I worry about bcp because my mom has had bad reactions to them and so I worry I may too. But i probably need to do more. My period has been a bit out of balance in the last year. I had months where it was lasting more than a week recently.

Didn't bother me because the flow wasn't heavy. Just annoying not knowing when it would end.

But currently this amount of heavy flow is unbearable. Can't stand up without feeling so much come out. I don't mind pads. Too nervous to try tampons or diva cups. I worry i will still notice it's there and it will be uncomfortable. Though honestly a diva cup might be better suited to a bad given my current flow.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I worry about bcp because my mom has had bad reactions to them and so I worry I may too. But i probably need to do more. My period has been a bit out of balance in the last year. I had months where it was lasting more than a week recently.

Didn't bother me because the flow wasn't heavy. Just annoying not knowing when it would end.

But currently this amount of heavy flow is unbearable. Can't stand up without feeling so much come out. I don't mind pads. Too nervous to try tampons or diva cups. I worry i will still notice it's there and it will be uncomfortable. Though honestly a diva cup might be better suited to a bad given my current flow.
Totally feel you on the pill. I've been on it for five years and I'm starting to rethink it. I had a really bad adjustment phase, and I've steadily gained a fair amount of weight since I started it. I'm not saying the pill is fully at fault, but I have definitely had side effects.

A friend of mine however had horrific periods — I'm talking laying on the floor in pain on a regular basis — and the pill resolved that. Sometimes the pros outweigh the cons.

I was very reluctant about tampons until I tried them. Now I use them almost exclusively. Again, I get the hesitancy for sure. I love them. Still haven't worked myself up to a diva cup personally, but I would like to. They're way more environmentally friendly.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

If it is an option, you might want to contact your OBGYN's office as I believe there are some non-birth control prescriptions that could help with extreme period pain/blood flow.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i set up an appointment. I can't do this again if it happens next cycle. Thought yesterday was the last of it but i'm starting to have heavy flow again today.

/_\ i really don't want to wfh again this week cuz i'm not as productive when i wfh and i've left my coworker by herself to handle all the new staff.

This really sucks.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I will say that I had incredibly heavy periods that nearly caused me to have to have transfusions, and the only thing that cured them was a hysterectomy, but mine was a weird case (birth defect that led to me having two uteruses)

I couldn't use tampons and overnight pads were the only thing that helped, but I'd have to change them constantly and wear two at night.

I'm really glad I no longer have to deal with it and I hope the doctors can help you out.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who's generally extremely reluctant to poke my nose into spaces which aren't for me, because, well, that's what white dudes do best.

That being said, I'm looking for some advice for my niece when it comes to online gaming.
Basically she's way into gaming (mostly FPS and horror) and I recently helped her mom get her a good gaming PC.
She has a bunch of male friends who also game online but it doesn't seem like they'll be playing any specific games together, but rather using something like hotmic.io and checking in on each other while playing.
Meaning whatever game she's playing will either be single-player or multiplayer with (ew) randoms.
If she's just doing deathmatch, fine, she can just mute everyone. I'm thinking more about if she wants to play something like Apex Legends or CoD: Warzone with a squad. That would necessitate dealing with others.

Now, she's got some skin on her nose, consistently calling out and debating sexist asshole teenagers and reporting pedos.
That being said I don't want her to have to do those things, because even if she puts on a tough act (and this could just be me projecting) I can't see anyone dealing with that garbage without being affected to some degree.

What I'm wondering is basically if there are any spaces for anyone who might want to play cooperative shooters but not deal with complete trash, sexist idiots.
This could be both in terms of games with generally decent player bases, but also social circles (forums etc.) open to people who might not want to be called horrible things for just being non straight male-identifying.

If I still should've kept my nose out of this thread I would gladly be told so, because I'd rather know and not make this into a less comfortable space for anyone.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who's generally extremely reluctant to poke my nose into spaces which aren't for me, because, well, that's what white dudes do best.

That being said, I'm looking for some advice for my niece when it comes to online gaming.
Basically she's way into gaming (mostly FPS and horror) and I recently helped her mom get her a good gaming PC.
She has a bunch of male friends who also game online but it doesn't seem like they'll be playing any specific games together, but rather using something like hotmic.io and checking in on each other while playing.
Meaning whatever game she's playing will either be single-player or multiplayer with (ew) randoms.
If she's just doing deathmatch, fine, she can just mute everyone. I'm thinking more about if she wants to play something like Apex Legends or CoD: Warzone with a squad. That would necessitate dealing with others.

Now, she's got some skin on her nose, consistently calling out and debating sexist asshole teenagers and reporting pedos.
That being said I don't want her to have to do those things, because even if she puts on a tough act (and this could just be me projecting) I can't see anyone dealing with that garbage without being affected to some degree.

What I'm wondering is basically if there are any spaces for anyone who might want to play cooperative shooters but not deal with complete trash, sexist idiots.
This could be both in terms of games with generally decent player bases, but also social circles (forums etc.) open to people who might not want to be called horrible things for just being non straight male-identifying.

If I still should've kept my nose out of this thread I would gladly be told so, because I'd rather know and not make this into a less comfortable space for anyone.

I'm curious. How old is she and is she herself looking for less toxic games or places?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Her beat bet is find a community that is against that sort of thing to hang out with. Which is hard. I've found a few "safer spaces" through streamers on twitch but that's hit or miss and establishing yourself with the community is kinda difficult.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious. How old is she and is she herself looking for less toxic games or places?
She's 12, turning 13 in a month. That being said, compared to her peers, she seems to already be well into what's basically an accelerated teenage phase (starting about 2+ years ago) with everything that entails. She's also on the spectrum and seems to (hopefully) be coming out on the other side of a pretty bad bout of depression.

I'm glad you asked me whether she's looking for these spaces herself because it forces me to analyse my own motivations. She's not asking me, and my question was more preemptive than anything. Basically, I want to be able to have some semblance of an answer if she were ever to ask me. That being said I don't want to be paternalistic or overbearing, because even though I want to protect every member of my family from harm, she can make her own decisions and me barging into her space could easily push her away at this stage in her life.

Whenever she comes to complain about the abusive idiots that she's been pushing back against, she does so with a mix of exhaustion and also, I feel, pride. She wants us to know what they said and what her reply was. Meaning that there seems to be both positive and negative feelings connected to it, although I'm very unsure of the proportions and the long-term effects.

Maybe young people just assume that the entire online gaming sphere is toxic and bigoted, and that precludes them from ever asking the question "are there non-toxic gaming spaces?" because the notion of such a thing isn't even a part of their world?

Her beat bet is find a community that is against that sort of thing to hang out with. Which is hard. I've found a few "safer spaces" through streamers on twitch but that's hit or miss and establishing yourself with the community is kinda difficult.
That's a good idea. I was thinking about communities which I interact with and which seem to attract people who agree with the viewpoints of tolerance of whomever they're formed around (MinnMAx, Insert Credit, Easy Allies), but maybe that's too simplistic.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
She's 12, turning 13 in a month. That being said, compared to her peers, she seems to already be well into what's basically an accelerated teenage phase (starting about 2+ years ago) with everything that entails. She's also on the spectrum and seems to (hopefully) be coming out on the other side of a pretty bad bout of depression.

I'm glad you asked me whether she's looking for these spaces herself because it forces me to analyse my own motivations. She's not asking me, and my question was more preemptive than anything. Basically, I want to be able to have some semblance of an answer if she were ever to ask me. That being said I don't want to be paternalistic or overbearing, because even though I want to protect every member of my family from harm, she can make her own decisions and me barging into her space could easily push her away at this stage in her life.

Whenever she comes to complain about the abusive idiots that she's been pushing back against, she does so with a mix of exhaustion and also, I feel, pride. She wants us to know what they said and what her reply was. Meaning that there seems to be both positive and negative feelings connected to it, although I'm very unsure of the proportions and the long-term effects.

Maybe young people just assume that the entire online gaming sphere is toxic and bigoted, and that precludes them from ever asking the question "are there non-toxic gaming spaces?" because the notion of such a thing isn't even a part of their world?

That's a good idea. I was thinking about communities which I interact with and which seem to attract people who agree with the viewpoints of tolerance of whomever they're formed around (MinnMAx, Insert Credit, Easy Allies), but maybe that's too simplistic.

Considering her age it is appropriate that you are looking out for her. I do the same thing for my 12 year old. Being available to talk to about her experiences in online gaming is maybe the most helpful thing you can do. Talking about what kind of behaviour she encounters, how it makes her feel and how she handles it can give her an opening if needed. The only unsolicited advise I would maybe give to her is that it is good to monitor your mood. If you are low on energy or just a bit blue, then it is better for that moment to avoid a game that has more toxic players. You don't want that toxicity to seep in, in an unguarded moment.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Considering her age it is appropriate that you are looking out for her. I do the same thing for my 12 year old. Being available to talk to about her experiences in online gaming is maybe the most helpful thing you can do. Talking about what kind of behaviour she encounters, how it makes her feel and how she handles it can give her an opening if needed. The only unsolicited advise I would maybe give to her is that it is good to monitor your mood. If you are low on energy or just a bit blue, then it is better for that moment to avoid a game that has more toxic players. You don't want that toxicity to seep in, in an unguarded moment.
Thanks; I really appreciate your insights. I might talk to her a little bit about adapting to mood fluctuations.
I suppose the worst case scenario is to have to internalise everything that you're exposed to online because you lack a pressure release. Talking to her parents and me about it is probably a good sign and a helpful venting tool.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Thanks; I really appreciate your insights. I might talk to her a little bit about adapting to mood fluctuations.
I suppose the worst case scenario is to have to internalise everything that you're exposed to online because you lack a pressure release. Talking to her parents and me about it is probably a good sign and a helpful venting tool.
The worst case scenario is quite a bit worse than that actually, considering her age. Monitoring it kinda important

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
The worst case scenario is quite a bit worse than that actually, considering her age. Monitoring it kinda important
I'm sorry; I worded that poorly because in my mind there are implicit worsening effects down the road from a lack of pressure venting. The worst case first reaction to toxicity is internalising it; which then could bring with it a cascade of other knock-on effects. She has a history of self-harm as a coping mechanism for her mental state in general, so we are all too aware of other potential manifestations. I appreciate you bringing it up.

Last edited: