• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That line from Shrek popped into my head the other day and it wouldn't leave me alone until I made waffles.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I thought we already had the breakfast food thread. :P
Definitely french toast. I see the poll came to its senses since I checked it last. :P

Welcome, Conditional-Pancakes!

I totally missed this thread! Also, technically if we combine the super powers of Crêpes with Pancakes, they overwhelmingly win this poll, as they should :D

That line from Shrek popped into my head the other day and it wouldn't leave me alone until I made waffles.

Been craving waffles for some weeks now, but I've also been very lazy and have not made them yet. Such is my life.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
It's interesting that a dish called "French Toast" barely feels French to me. We don't eat those much, even less in the forum that American households eat it. Maybe it's just a regional thing though, but we have a variant called "Pain Perdu", but it looks nothing like it, it's baked in the oven in the shape of a pie like this:

bWFbEz1.png

I remember my mum might have made some several times during childhood, but I haven't cooked any myself in my entire life, ahah.
I definitely eat Waffles and Pancakes way more often.

However, the best of the best is: Crêpes, aka the superior form of pancake: bigger and wider, so more filling, can be folded or rolled for practical eating, and due to being thin, you can eat a lot of them at once! Also can be eaten as a proper dish, and it's delicious as hell with food like ham, cheese and an egg -for the most basic variants- (although buckwheat galettes are very likely the superior way to go for this). Truly the superior food here.

Anyway, nevermind my rambling, I just love crêpes a lot I guess, it really is one of my fave comfort food I can cook easily whenever I feel like it.

Tu0m1L3.gif

Earlier in my life I was in a relationship with someone from the Brittany region of France. She taught me all about Crêpes. And salted butter. And cidre. A lot about cidre actually :p

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I currently am in a relationship with someone from Brittany as well. Not gonna lie, they have good food.
Will have to remember that when I visit Europe next year when deciding what cities/area's of certain countries to visit (hopefully this virus stuff is finally over by then and travel is safe/restrictions lifted to even let me visit) thinking of visiting up to 3 different countries with France being one of them. I'm half french and half portuguese , my first/last name being french and I took 3 years of french back in high school, should remember enough of it so know the absolute most basic of things haha

My American diet is as basic as can be, excited to try lots of things wherever I go.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Will have to remember that when I visit Europe next year when deciding what cities/area's of certain countries to visit (hopefully this virus stuff is finally over by then and travel is safe/restrictions lifted to even let me visit) thinking of visiting up to 3 different countries with France being one of them. I'm half french and half portuguese , my first/last name being french and I took 3 years of french back in high school, should remember enough of it so know the absolute most basic of things haha

My American diet is as basic as can be, excited to try lots of things wherever I go.

To be fair, and I hate to be this person, but I have yet to find a corner of France that doesn't have good food to discover and enjoy. Every part of France has several unique regional delicacies worth tasting. I enjoy shitting on my country for many valid and legitimate reasons, but if there's one thing we're not entirely shit at, it's food :'D

Hope you'll be able to have that amazing trip sooner rather than later, it's always a blast to visit new countries just for the food only tbh.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, and I hate to be this person, but I have yet to find a corner of France that doesn't have good food to discover and enjoy. Every part of France has several unique regional delicacies worth tasting. I enjoy shitting on my country for many valid and legitimate reasons, but if there's one thing we're not entirely shit at, it's food :'D
*Cries in British*

When British food comes up, I like to remind everyone that I grew up on my own ethnic food and wasn't born here. One good thing about being an immigrant. 😏

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Hey there, most of my actual breakfasts are way more likely to look like a banana, a bowl of Special K, or a bowl of plain oatmeal, than either of the food mentioned thus far in this thread. And a cup of tea, always.
Most of the time I don't eat breakfast at all lol

My life is a mess and I'm so ready to have a normal job

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So I decide to check this thread for the first time in a while and I leave drooling. Crepes and cider and pancakes ahhhh. Some French friends of mine took me to an authentic place in my city and their crepes and cider are still in my heart.

At least now I have this warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a group of humans who like delicious and wonderful things.

Nov 27, 2019
I don't even go in for breakfast foods most of the time (there are only so many configurations of eggs, pork products, and batter I can tolerate), but this thread is giving me cravings like nothing else.

My wife will probably think I'm dying if I pitch any of this for breakfast this weekend.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Might have to clean up the Pokeball waffle maker for tomorrow morning after reading the replies in here.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
So in the last few months I learned something about urinary tracks infections and how they can wreak havoc for older women. Apparently older woman (think 70+) can have infection without any of the common symptoms like pee of fire and 65 trips to the bathroom to squeeze it out drop by drop. And without symptoms you don't go to a doctor for treatment and the infection just runs wild. Ending in blood sepsis And a delirium. This happened to my mother and it was horrible. I don't know if any of you are taking care of an older woman, but maybe my experience can help you spot it early on because apparently it is not uncommon.

I was visiting my mother with the kids one morning and she seemed a little of. She was slow to respond to questions and said she felt a tired, but was not able to articulate what was wrong exactly. I went back later that day and she told me there was nothing wrong and that it would pass as most things do. Next day I called and she wasn't feeling better, but we had a normal conversation about an appointment with her eye dr and I left it at that. So the next day I was working from home and stopped by to see how she was doing. I found her still in bed with dinner from the night before burnt on the counter. She was happy to see me and she Said she felt fine. I called a doctor who came by and called an ambulance for her. My mother kept insisting she was fine. Nothing wrong what so ever.

At the ER things got worse. She saw things that weren't there. Kept asking how many children I had exactly, because she saw three of them running around (there weren't any and I have two). They discovered the blood sepsis fast and kept her there. I went home at midnight and promised to return the next afternoon at visiting hours. The nurse called me the next morning and asked me if I could come sooner because my mother refused to eat. When I got there she did not recognise me. She didn't know where she was. She asked my name and welcomed me to the looming course. Nothing has ever prepared me for this. My mother was active and mentally sound. She has also been an OR nurse all her life and completely at home in anything medical.

Three horrible weeks followed. She kept seeing people and animals coming through the walls. Sometimes recognising me and sometimes not. Thing dropping to the floor and shattering. Holes in the floor that weren't there. Threads and animals in her food. And it only subsided with the treatment of the sepsis and some anti psychotics. She was most herself when I was there and the staff invited me to stay and care for her as much as I could. It was crushing and pure love al at once.

She has been home for a couple of moths now and doing fine again. Lost a lot of strength and weight, but mentally completely herself again. I wrote this because maybe some of you are also caring for an elderly woman and knowing that this exists may help you and her getting treatment in an earlier stage.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Holy shit, WHAT

UTIs can do that?? What the actual fuck?

I'm so sorry for what you and your mom went through Lady Catherine de Bourgh. This is horrifying. I'm glad she's okay, but goddamn, this... this gave me shivers. I had no idea this could happen.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, WHAT

UTIs can do that?? What the actual fuck?

I'm so sorry for what you and your mom went through Lady Catherine de Bourgh. This is horrifying. I'm glad she's okay, but goddamn, this... this gave me shivers. I had no idea this could happen.
Me neither. After I told what happened at work, I had 4 or 5 people saying that a family member of theirs also experienced it. One even told that her grandmother had it multiple times. The nurses who came by to help my mother a few days when they discharged her the first time (got re admitted 3 days later) also told us it is quite common, but there is a lot of shame around this subject.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I just saw this Twitter thread about the Reply Guys phenomenon. I thought it was an absolute delight! It made me laugh so much! I'll share it with you. Read the whole thread, it's so worth it!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Cool thread
www.resetera.com

Name the greatest women warriors in history

I was watching some historical videos and came upon Khutulun: a Mongol noblewoman, directly related to Genghis Khan, who was one of the greatest warriors and wrestlers of her time. Marco Polo described her as a superb warrior. She was the favorite child of her father Kaidu, who would often seek...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Cool thread
www.resetera.com

Name the greatest women warriors in history

I was watching some historical videos and came upon Khutulun: a Mongol noblewoman, directly related to Genghis Khan, who was one of the greatest warriors and wrestlers of her time. Marco Polo described her as a superb warrior. She was the favorite child of her father Kaidu, who would often seek...

[Hidden content]
I figured that'd be happening in that thread and didn't click for that reason

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New site features allow an OP to repost itself at the top of each page; would that be particularly useful in this topic? My thought is, probably y'all would prefer to keep conversation going instead?

But if i'm backward I'll enable that feature.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Hello, this thread made me realize that I haven't had french toast in like two years, which is something I need to do something about right away. If I have the motivation. Which I think I do for french toast.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Relevant to a couple recent threads but I didn't want to make a thread on this for obvious reasons

www.dailydot.com

The ‘AT&T Girl’ is tired of sexual harassment online

'All of these "milk" and "milkies" comments ... it hurts my feelings.'
Unfortunately this happens to just about any public facing woman who meets conventional standards for attractiveness. Step outside those conventions (i.e. be anything but white and thin) and you still get the sexual comments but they also tell you they want you to die.

Truly don't understand why anyone is browsing fuckin telecom ads to get their jollies

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this happens to just about any public facing woman who meets conventional standards for attractiveness. Step outside those conventions (i.e. be anything but white and thin) and you still get the sexual comments but they also tell you they want you to die.

Truly don't understand why anyone is browsing fuckin telecom ads to get their jollies

Sadly, wouldn't be surprising if Stephanie Courtney (Flo from the Progressive Insurance Commercials) has dealt with all of this over the years too and she just hasn't said anything publicly.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I made apple crisp. so I'm eating it for breakfast because i'm all about health, and fruit is healthy.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I made apple crisp. so I'm eating it for breakfast because i'm all about health, and fruit is healthy.
I went to my aunts wedding Friday and at the reception there was a fruit and cheese platter as an appetizer and I had some fresh pineapple and cantaloupe. I told myself after that "well I ate healthy so now it doesn't matter how much cake I eat afterwards"!

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I told myself I'd give up on this till after the pandemic but my current bra is annoying me so what does anyone know about higher bra sizes?

I already tried r/abrathatfits and did get some advice but the bra that i ordered from one of the suggestions is so far off and I'd feel bad asking again. Pretty much all brands either fall short on my cup size or band (42G) or have incredibly limited selection that isn't useful for me.

Ideally I'm looking for something like a sports bra or at least something without underwire and relatively compressing because i'm not out to my family so it would be useful to have it fairly hidden and i'm still having growth so underwire works better. Also ideally I get it from Amazon so the package isn't identifiable if someone else in my family picks it up.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I like their color scheme and I hope her and her partner have a good season.

It was a very pretty color scheme. My two younger sisters were both bridesmaids, their dresses were teal too, they were beautiful dresses.

Thank you! They've been together for over 5 years and their wedding was originally scheduled for April but was delayed multiple times due to COVID, I'm happy for them.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
because raisin bread is rolled like a dual sided cake roll, and those fruit breads are just dumped in a loaf pan

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I told myself I'd give up on this till after the pandemic but my current bra is annoying me so what does anyone know about higher bra sizes?

I already tried r/abrathatfits and did get some advice but the bra that i ordered from one of the suggestions is so far off and I'd feel bad asking again. Pretty much all brands either fall short on my cup size or band (42G) or have incredibly limited selection that isn't useful for me.

Ideally I'm looking for something like a sports bra or at least something without underwire and relatively compressing because i'm not out to my family so it would be useful to have it fairly hidden and i'm still having growth so underwire works better. Also ideally I get it from Amazon so the package isn't identifiable if someone else in my family picks it up.
Bra's are tricky and I would recommend going to a specialty store if available, safely accessible and comfortable for you. I have 32C and can only find one brand that fits really well. Cup shapes, even within the same size, differ a lot so I go to a store once every few years and buy a few. Reluctantly I might add because I hate bra's with a vengeance and only wear them for work underneath clothes that would to easily show that I'm not wearing one. With work from home being almost indefinitely for my company I doubt I will have to replace the last ones any time soon.