• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Someone do a fashion and beauty thread!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to start it because I plan to start the subscription box thread, haha.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I can make a makeup and fashion thread but it'd be pretty bare bones. I don't follow any blogs or vlogs. My fashion sense is basically browsing Forever XXI every once in a while, and heading over to wornontv.net after I catch up on Modern Family or Pretty Little Liars or whatever. So it wouldn't be a repository of useful links per se, just a starting point for discussion to take place.

Include

Oct 25, 2017
Make up thread would be nice, though I usually wear very light stuff (primer, fondation, blush, eye-liner, eyeshadow and a tint), I don't do any countering or super elaborate make up. It's just very basic 15mn stuff to get ready to go to work.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A make-up thread would be a great idea. I have been trying to experiment with make-up more. Before it used to be just a lipstick and mascara. Now I'm trying some eye shadows, eyeliner and experimenting with colours more. The eye shadow set I bought seems to be for Halloween (all colourful and full with sparkle), probably not a good idea to use for work XD

I feel like I recognize the username but I'm not a 100% sure xD This forum is becoming better by the minute. So many VIII fans popping out. Also I will continue to do so here and you should join the FF comm since it's chill so far. I'll also try to get the VIII ps4 thread up if it ever get's announced but we will see how fast I can get that going or if I'll ever even get the chance to make it.

I had no idea FFVIII fans are already highly represented here. That's great news. I don't usually reply on the community threads but I'll take a look at the FF community thread.

It still hurts that SE skipped on FFVIII and went for FFIX ;(

I also have thick hair, and it has definitely taken a lot of work to get it to look non-messy every day. I have an awesome hairdresser and that helps. I usually wash my hair ever 2-3 days, using dry shampoo on the days in between. I'm currently loving Philosophy's Amazing Grace Dry Shampoo. I apply a leave-in conditioner when I get out of the shower. I wring out my hair and let it air-dry for a bit, then go over it with a ceramic flat-iron. I use a CHI, but I've heard great things about the Baby Bliss brand. I always use a heat protectant spray before I do that. I use a cheapo curling want after that to give it some way. I usually apply Moroccan oil to my hair for shine, but that's mostly because my hair is really coarse and dry. I try to get my hair cut about every 8 weeks, but in practice, I probably get it cut every 12-16 weeks with bang trims in between. Thick hair is a pain, but it can be tamed and look great!

Picture

Thank you so much for the detailed write-up. Most of what you mentioned sounds new to me because I was always afraid of damaging my hair and preferred to keep it natural. I'll look into the products that you mentioned and give some of them a try. Your hair looks gorgeous! Is that your natural hair colour?

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be one to make this, but I'd love a nail art thread, too! I always feel naked unless I have some polish on. Essie is my life.

Essie is great. Before I was using cheap nail polish that chipped easily and then switched to Essie after a recommendation. I had no clue that polish could dry so fast and last that long.

It is expensive but it is worth it as a deterrent from ruining my nails because of nervous biting.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hi ladies!! Super glad to have made it over to the new place...I'm trying to be more active than I was before.

I'd also really like a Subscription Box Thread now, come to think of it. I know we have my subscription addiction and other nice sites, but I'm always skeptical when it's so big. Any chicks here do subscription boxes that would like to review theirs? If so, let me know :D
What kind of review? Like overall impressions or the individual items?...

I used to have ipsy and glossybox at various times in the past, I've currently been subscribed to Sephora Play for over a year. That's pretty limited, I know there's tons of fun boxes out there now.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to do eye makeup when you can't see shit without your glasses on.. is hard. I envy people who can draw nice neat lines.

This is me. Can't see shit. I'm getting a little better but occasionally still need help.

I'm going to be so fucked when i end up alone :( in general i don't use makeup. Just for special occasions.

I want to start using makeup more. But that would require me waking up early. Haha! ^^`

Also does it seem weird when a coworker suddenly starts doing something so vastly different? Like would i be shocking my coworkers if i did start using makeup more? I actually worry a bit about this.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, I went from wearing no makeup a month ago to wearing a full face of makeup most days. I don't know if anyone would find this helpful but this was my journey...

I found a few beauty vloggers on YouTube that I liked, that had skintones similar to mine, and that was great for helping me figure out what look I wanted without spending a lot of money.

Then I went in to my local beauty store (Ulta) and I asked the employee that was doing makeup to help me find a foundation match, and they helped me with general makeup tips and keeping it in budget. I found that doing these two things have helped me find makeup I like, that doesn't wreck my skin, without spending more than I can afford buying makeup that wouldn't "work" for the look I like.

So that is what I did, and it's worked out pretty well for me so far.
Thanks for the advice! I'll need to start looking at some youtube vids... It's gonna be hard to get used to the feeling of wearing make up as well. lol The only times I've ever work make up were for dance recitals when I was a kid and on my wedding day pretty much.

Also a subscription box thread would be neat! I don't subscribe to any fashion ones, but I like to try different snack ones and have been trying out some scrapbooking ones.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is me. Can't see shit. I'm getting a little better but occasionally still need help.

I'm going to be so fucked when i end up alone :( in general i don't use makeup. Just for special occasions.

I want to start using makeup more. But that would require me waking up early. Haha! ^^`

Also does it seem weird when a coworker suddenly starts doing something so vastly different? Like would i be shocking my coworkers if i did start using makeup more? I actually worry a bit about this.

Aw don't worry. :) It's not weird. Just do a little bit at a time and gradually add to your routine.

I usually only bother with concealer and tinted lip balm cuz it takes me too much time to get ready.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No, I just went from wearing no makeup to wearing obvious makeup and the only thing that happened was some of my lady co-workers said I looked nice. The dudes either didn't notice or didn't say anything.

Although my co-workers know I don't take their crap so your mileage may vary.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hi ladies!! Super glad to have made it over to the new place...I'm trying to be more active than I was before.

What kind of review? Like overall impressions or the individual items?...

I used to have ipsy and glossybox at various times in the past, I've currently been subscribed to Sephora Play for over a year. That's pretty limited, I know there's tons of fun boxes out there now.

Ooh that's perfect! I was imagining just like photos, comments, thoughts, even prices of full size products.

I have fabfitfun. I actually looked into Sephora play, Target, and Amazon but too many boxes are too pricey.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys ever make your own pasta?

Hahaha no. I've read recipes on how to do it, and just threw the book in the air. I don't have the time or energy to make my own pasta or shells filled with things, like ravioli or pierogi. Those are things I order from restaurants or buy premade.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh that's perfect! I was imagining just like photos, comments, thoughts, even prices of full size products.

I have fabfitfun. I actually looked into Sephora play, Target, and Amazon but too many boxes are too pricey.
Oh how is fabfitfun? One of the scrapbookers I follow on youtube did an art kit for them in the summer and I've been meaning to look into them.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm all in favour of a make-up thread... so that posts about make-up can stop filling up this thread :D

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a good person to make any beauty makeup or fashion threads. Someone else please do! Or y'know, if you already did, I'll put your beautiful link in the OP when you @ me.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I can make a fashion thread if no one else is up for it. Is there anything people would want besides store and fashion blog links?

Thank you so much for the detailed write-up. Most of what you mentioned sounds new to me because I was always afraid of damaging my hair and preferred to keep it natural. I'll look into the products that you mentioned and give some of them a try. Your hair looks gorgeous! Is that your natural hair colour?

Thank you! The ends are dyed and I have highlights. I avoid all-over color because my hair grows really quickly.

Trying to do eye makeup when you can't see shit without your glasses on.. is hard. I envy people who can draw nice neat lines.

I have this problem too. I can handle mascara but eyeliner is a huge struggle. I have thought about trying those little stencil things, but I'm not sure they actually work.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really wear makeup, but if you include nail polish in that I'd be down. I have a RIDICULOUS amount of nail polish.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I have a makeup/cosmetology thread about ready to go. Can I run it by someone here so I can feel better about having not made any serious mistakes nor missed something obvious?

I need a volunteer please (◡‿◡✿)

Last edited:
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not nearly knowledgeable for that. I only just started trying to make myself look nice for the first time in my life and I'm still having trouble trying to figure out what places sell stuff I like. also i know nothing about other styles that I'm not really into. id really benefit from someone else making a thread tho :P

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the time or energy to make my own pasta or shells filled with things, like ravioli or pierogi. Those are things I order from restaurants or buy premade.

I totally agree with this. The only exception is when I get together with my sis to wrap like five pounds of wontons to freeze.

That is an endeavor that's more about drinking a lot of martinis and shooting the shit though, so it's pretty fun.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My family makes a bunch of different pasta.
we do haluski, gnocchi, pierogi, some generic soup noodle and I think theres a bunch more
Haluski is the easiest since you only need to mix like eggs, flour, and water (I think) and just drop small gobs into a pot of boiling water.
Pierogi takes 2 days to do right but is way better than anything you could get at a store or restaurant

(not sure if pierogi is pasta but its already been mentioned so *shrug*)

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It went not so great. I haven't done it since because I'm horrendously lazy.
The only advice I can give is don't underestimate the amount of flour for dusting the dough. And fold and roll a lot, is what I've heard, I guess to help with the integrity.
But if all else fails, IronERA might be able to help you.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is a light, fun, not serious conservation I had with my husband a moment ago about appearance.

We all know about the hot/crazy scale from How I Met Your Mother, but I was telling him that it really should be the hot/effort scale. As in, the hotter you are, the less you have to try.

(I'm saying this in a joking manner, inspired by him asking what I meant when I said I wasn't bright enough to not try at all but enough to get away with my college grades [which I was reading to him and he was shaking his head].)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Pumpkin spice! October cookies haha.

What kind of cake, QV?
Sounds yummy! Though I wish I was more of a fan of pumpkin spice then I am, I don't mind it but I don't love it either but I feel like I'm missing out on the fall flavors.

I got some Halloween cake mix and some orange vanilla frosting that has orange pumpkin and black bat sprinkles so it'll be cute. I also got a package of Keebler fudge stripe cookies, chocolate frosting and some Hershey kisses so I'm going to flip the cookies chocolate side up, add a little chocolate frosting in the middle and put the Hershey kiss on top to make cute little witch hat cookies. Lastly I got some hot dogs/Pillsbury crescent rolls and going to cut the rolls into strips and make mummies in a blanket. Looking forward to Tuesday, can share some images of the final products if anyone's interested.

indigo blue

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Pumpkin spice! October cookies haha.

What kind of cake, QV?

Ohhhh that sounds delish! Never tried pumpkin spice cookies

I got some Halloween cake mix and some orange vanilla frosting that has orange pumpkin and black bat sprinkles so it'll be cute. I also got a package of Keebler fudge stripe cookies, chocolate frosting and some Hershey kisses so I'm going to flip the cookies chocolate side up, add a little chocolate frosting in the middle and put the Hershey kiss on top to make cute little witch hat cookies. Lastly I got some hot dogs/Pillsbury crescent rolls and going to cut the rolls into strips and make mummies in a blanket. Looking forward to Tuesday, can share some images of the final products if anyone's interested.

I'd maybe choose to go diabetic over this list. Post all of the pictures pls

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds yummy! Though I wish I was more of a fan of pumpkin spice then I am, I don't mind it but I don't love it either but I feel like I'm missing out on the fall flavors.

Those sound so fun! Haha. Lots of baking! Make sure to take pictures, they sound really cute.

Ohhhh that sounds delish! Never tried pumpkin spice cookies

http://whisk-kid.com/2012/10/stunt-soft-frosted-ginger-chunk-pumpkin-spice-cookies.html

Cooooookies.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
We all know about the hot/crazy scale from How I Met Your Mother, but I was telling him that it really should be the hot/effort scale. As in, the hotter you are, the less you have to try.

I'd love to see some data on a study like this. I don't know how you'd gather it though :P

Because while it's fun to point out people who don't have to try, the other possible thing at play is that of the people who don't try we're just more likely to notice the hot ones.

Being domestic today and baking cookies. I love baking.

Baking is one of my favorite things to do with people! I'm jealous haha.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'd maybe choose to go diabetic over this list. Post all of the pictures pls

Haha I've been very strict with my diet the past week in preparation of being able to eat the above and steal some of my younger sisters candy guilt free! :3

Those sound so fun! Haha. Lots of baking! Make sure to take pictures, they sound really cute.

http://whisk-kid.com/2012/10/stunt-soft-frosted-ginger-chunk-pumpkin-spice-cookies.html

Cooooookies.

Yeah! Will certainly take some pictures before everything's eaten up!

(Gonna bookmark that recipe to try one day as those images look really good!)

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MTO9P0B.jpg

I like this thank you for making it for me. <3

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
Hi gals! I can't believe I missed this thread while looking through the etc hangouts, I'm glad to have found it n_n