• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the absolute abysmal inventory management system, I really liked Xenoblade 1. I never ended up finishing it, though, because it felt like, at a certain point, they just tried to dump every single JRPG subsystem that exists onto the player, and I got overwhelmed by it all. There are individual growth trees, skills, equipment, gems/accessories, freaking crafting, lots of characters, character relationships, side quests, town building, random treasures, etc. It was just too much.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I loved Graces F story to pieces, plus the childhood arc in the beginning was so cute ad adorable. I have a huge weakness for "power of friendship" stories as I love them. Sadly there seems to be very few who share my opinion on Graces F T_T
Yeah I'm...not a fan, to put it lightly lol

I made a thread back on GAF about it and I was not kind to it. Battle system is amazing though. Best in the series, easily.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Great mail to receive in a sea of rejection emails from employment opportunities. My house in San Juan, that didn't get water service until a few weeks ago post hurricane María, and I'm being charge more than triple what I normally am for water service. That house was empty for months and only my brother is staying in it for now and he only uses it to shower and sleep before and after work. Looks like I'm just one of many getting these awful post hurricane bills with inflated numbers and we're expected to pay them.
Damn, that's awful. :( Just one thing on top of another for Puerto Ricans...

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I only played a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles when it first came out, haven't got around to the others. Also played some demos of the Tales games, but never got around to playing any of the full games, Tales of Vesperia was the one I remember wanting to get back in 2008, but never got around to it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm...not a fan, to put it lightly lol

I made a thread back on GAF about it and I was not kind to it. Battle system is amazing though. Best in the series, easily.

Yeah, met very few people who shared my views on Graces F's story sadly though just about everyone does praise it's battle system.

Great mail to receive in a sea of rejection emails from employment opportunities. My house in San Juan, that didn't get water service until a few weeks ago post hurricane María, and I'm being charge more than triple what I normally am for water service. That house was empty for months and only my brother is staying in it for now and he only uses it to shower and sleep before and after work. Looks like I'm just one of many getting these awful post hurricane bills with inflated numbers and we're expected to pay them.

I'm so sorry to hear that, that's terrible :( -hugs-

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/...20171206&nl=top-stories&nlid=61572326&ref=cta

Birth Control Pills Still Linked
to Breast Cancer, Study Finds

Women using birth control pills and I.U.D.s that release
hormones face a higher risk than those using methods
without hormones, scientists in Denmark reported.

I hope researchers keep looking into this, because it's scary :/ It's frustrating to read that they basically assumed the lower dose of hormones in modern birth control would be safer and, surprise!, that might not be true. So many women use hormonal birth control, and I don't think we have a good enough understanding of its effects.

But I have a whole lot of thoughts about hormonal birth control anyway, so...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/...20171206&nl=top-stories&nlid=61572326&ref=cta

The increase in breast cancer cases associated with hormones was also small because young women are at low risk to begin with. But the odds rose among women who used hormonal contraception for more than ten years, the study found. Among those who used hormones for five years, an increased breast cancer risk persisted even after they discontinued use, Dr. Mørch said.

Fuck. Been using the pill for almost 12 years now?

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hell ya! :3 Nostalgia/childhood memories might be the only thing preventing it from overtaking ToS' story for me. I loved Graces F story to pieces, plus the childhood arc in the beginning was so cute ad adorable. I have a huge weakness for "power of friendship" stories as I love them. Sadly there seems to be very few who share my opinion on Graces F T_T

I love Graces F- like yeah the story is generic but that's not such a terrible thing imo lol I'm a big Tales fan and I like most all of them for various reasons. I don't see anything wrong with a simple, generic anime story. I like that sort of stuff /shrug This is also why I don't go into Tales threads or anything despite loving the series since Destiny was released in NA on PS1 cause my opinion seems opposite other people's. lol

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I love Graces F- like yeah the story is generic but that's not such a terrible thing imo lol I'm a big Tales fan and I like most all of them for various reasons. I don't see anything wrong with a simple, generic anime story. I like that sort of stuff /shrug This is also why I don't go into Tales threads or anything despite loving the series since Destiny was released in NA on PS1 cause my opinion seems opposite other people's. lol

Yay another rare person who shares my love of Graces F! Haha How you describe yourself is pretty much how I am as well, those things are just things I like. Have enjoyed every Tales game I've played (some more then others) but each for different reasons as well. Yeah sadly a lot of game communities can be like that and that's why I don't really take part in any of them either. I really wish the PS1 games were available on PSN or something. Such a shame that the only real way to play them is to emulate or buy an very pricey copy of them on ebay.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
That AP thread sure is something.
My favorite was this sarcastic post, which many people accidentally missed as joking (I did too the first time).

I think women need to be more empathetic about this.

Like imagine a world where you constantly had to think about whether your actions would be perceived as flirtatious even though that wasn't your intent and it led to terrible consequences for you.

It's just not fair men alone have to deal with this. Truly without precedent.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, got sick of seeing this argument. I usually avoid those sorts of threads because my general inability to articulate my thoughts + the internet being terrible at discussion = bad times for everyone, but that line in particular is wearisome.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

From the article:
Because risk increases with age, Dr. Weiss suggested that older women may want to consider switching to a hormone-free birth control method, like a diaphragm, an I.U.D. that does not release hormones, or condoms. "It's not like you don't have a choice," she said. "Why not pursue another option?"
I know it might not have been meant that way, but her response seemed kind of dismissive. While there are IUDs that do not release hormones, the other side effects can make women hesitant to get them. The appeal of oral birth control is that it does not involve any invasive procedures. And I know for me personally, condoms do not make me feel completely comfortable when it is used as a birth control by itself.

Last edited:

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
I know it might not have been meant that way, but her response seemed kind of dismissive. While there are IUDs that do not release hormones, the other side effects can make women hesitant to get them. The appeal of oral birth control is that is does not involve any invasive procedures. And I know for me personally, condoms do not make me feel completely comfortable when it is used as a birth control by itself.
I agree. My wife has been taking oral BC for over a decade and it's as much for preventing pregnancy as it is for making her period lighter and more stable. She can't really use anything else. Also, her mom has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer so this study is worrying to say the least.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
My mom wants to get me on birth control but I've always been picky with medicines. I won't take OTC pain pills for headaches or cramps unless I feel like I'm actually dying. xP

The possible link of hormonal birth control to breast cancer is very concerning though. Many women finally get the chance to rein in out-of-control cycles and other problems only for it to possibly lead to a horrible disease? A cruel twist of fate :(

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lady I work with said that about 20 years ago she had a golf ball sized tumor removed from her liver. The docs weren't certain but they thought it was likely that being on the pill since she was a teen was a major factor.

Scary stuff.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My mom wants to get me on birth control but I've always been picky with medicines.

I'm the same way with meds these days. I take meds daily for help with my anxiety, hypothyroidism and the like but after being forced to take over a dozen pills daily for about a decade since I was was 5 by a psychiatrist who liked making up conditions that I have and my mother not knowing any better I'm pretty scarred by meds in general. Won't take pain meds unless I'm just about unable to function from a headache, pain or something else.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I'm really funny with medication, only take it if I'm really bad. All the possible side-effects and risks taking them freak me out.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I've been on the pill but I always forget to take it, and with this study I don't think I will again. Mom had breast cancer, and my aunt died from it when I was 9. No thanks.

Will stick to condoms and maybe an IUD or something.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Both my parents have had cancer (one died of it), I'm pretty sure I'm doomed no matter what I do.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I surprisingly don't have a history of breast cancer in my family. Other cancers, sure. But I haven't heard of any blood relatives getting breast cancer. Since it supposedly reduces the risks of potentially deadlier cancers, I think I'm going to stick with the pill.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pretty large family of about 150 if you include all my extended family (Grandmother had 18 kids and is now a Great Great grandmother as of a couple years ago) and none in my family have dealt with breast cancer that I know of but my grandfather and aunt died of cancer in 2004 and just lost and uncle from cancer a couple days after Thanksgiving so cancer is having a way with my family =/ I did have a scare early this year though as I developed a lump in my left breast and was greatly concerned though after getting it checked out I was thankful to learn it was non cancerous.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
My grandfather had prostate cancer but they caught it in time. Apart from that I'm not aware of any cancer in the relevant family members. High blood pressure is another story though.
Edit. Forgot to add I was on the pill for just under 10 years so we'll see what happens. My SO got fixed and was just cleared yesterday so no more BC for me, I'm ecstatic.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I want to get an IUD, but I'm not a fan of the heavier periods with a copper IUD.. and now all this about the ones that release hormones makes it iffy. :/

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of good reasons to hate on Reddit, but it does have this excellent sub:

r/ArmoredWomen

A subreddit for pictures/art of women in reasonable armor.

My SO got fixed and was just cleared yesterday so no more BC for me, I'm ecstatic.

I always find it hilarious when people refer to a vasectomy as "getting fixed." I do hope your SO didn't get his balls cut off like my poor doggo.

p8BoFgM.jpg

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy that the Game Awards (for how dumb the event typically is) gave Carol Shaw recognition. Her work at Atari was always one of note, and it's always great to celebrate the industry icons, woman or otherwise.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much easier to say fixed because I would have to look up how to spell the other lol

insight

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Not long ago I read "War's unwomanly face" by Svetlana Alexievich. It's basically about soviet women describing their experience in the army in WW2, saying things like how and why they decided to join the army, their relationship with men, what happened to them after the war... It was such a great read, I recommend it to you all.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I'm crocheting some gifts for Christmas. One of the patterns called for a 1mm hook, and I worked on it for way too long yesterday. My hand muscles are so tense and shaky today... It'll look good when I'm done, though!

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Both my parents have had cancer (one died of it), I'm pretty sure I'm doomed no matter what I do.

Yeah same. If I don't get cancer from SOMETHING it'll be a goddamn miracle. Like, I've been around smokers all my life (even now), have pale and freckled skin in the Sunshine State, and take BC pills.

I pretty much have to take the pills if I want to be able to function at work too--otherwise I miss a day or two of work due to horrible cramps (either the day of or in the middle of night beforehand so I get like no sleep), and I only get a day of sick leave a month, so... yeah. Also my cycles would be so out of whack I'd never know when it'd be coming.

I'm trying to upgrade from the pills to Nexplanon, though (aka the thing they stick in your arm). It's taking, like, forever to get everything set up though... Which is strange, considering it's one of those methods where it's like "if you want kids, we take it out and you're good to go in like a day", so I don't get the friggin' hold up.

Getting birth control just sucks :p

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory

Well...that's no good. I've got an IUD and love it (It's a 3 year one) But to be fair, l'll probably get cancer of some sort anyway. My grandmother died this year of cancer...she was 95.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
The character design thread has inspired me to seek out articles on feminists in Japan. I thought both of these were interesting and worth sharing:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2...ing-contemporary-state-feminism/#.WirhwUqnHIU

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/08/05...t-yuriko-koike-tokyo-women-governor-election/

Hell ya! :3 Nostalgia/childhood memories might be the only thing preventing it from overtaking ToS' story for me. I loved Graces F story to pieces, plus the childhood arc in the beginning was so cute ad adorable. I have a huge weakness for "power of friendship" stories as I love them. Sadly there seems to be very few who share my opinion on Graces F T_T

I love Graces f too! I didn't get super into the main plot, but I liked the cast and the skits a lot. I wound up backtracking a ton so that I could see every single skit in the game. Vesperia is my favorite, but I think Graces f is the one I've played the most. Pascal and Hubert are my faves.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy that the Game Awards (for how dumb the event typically is) gave Carol Shaw recognition. Her work at Atari was always one of note, and it's always great to celebrate the industry icons, woman or otherwise.
Oooo thanks for reminding me, I need to watch the VODs today. Geoff Keighley gave a talk at Pax West about how he started it with his own funds because he loves games and it's basically his baby. This recognition is a great sign of what he believes in and a great use of his platform. Maybe TGA can be a vehicle for change in gaming regarding attitudes towards women. We just have to hope he doesn't cave to pressure from loud assholes calling him a liberal SJW cuck or some such bullshit (I don't know if this has happened but it seems like something that would happen from simply acknowledging women's role in gaming history).

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oooo thanks for reminding me, I need to watch the VODs today. Geoff Keighley gave a talk at Pax West about how he started it with his own funds because he loves games and it's basically his baby. This recognition is a great sign of what he believes in and a great use of his platform. Maybe TGA can be a vehicle for change in gaming regarding attitudes towards women. We just have to hope he doesn't cave to pressure from loud assholes calling him a liberal SJW cuck or some such bullshit (I don't know if this has happened but it seems like something that would happen from simply acknowledging women's role in gaming history).
As expected, when the segment about her story started and when she accepted the award and made her speech, the comments were pretty awful on the YouTube feed I was watching.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.boston.com/news/health/2017/12/08/doctor-explains-breast-cancer-birth-control-study

Why you shouldn't be alarmed by the new study about breast cancer and birth control
Mason pointed out that the vast majority of the women in the study did not develop a problem and researchers did not find an increased risk of "all-cause" mortality.

"It does demonstrate a small increase in the risk of breast cancer," she said. "It's a small magnitude, 20 percent increase. And with longer duration of treatment, a 38 percent increase."

About 16 million women in the United States and about 140 million worldwide use some type of hormonal contraception, according to the AP.

A 20 percent increase does not mean that 20 percent of women who use a hormonal contraceptive will get breast cancer, Manson said. The increase amounts to about one extra case per 8,000 users per year, she said.

While researchers had access to information like how many children the woman had, her education level, her family history of breast cancer, they did not have access to other information on mammogram screening practices or clinical breast exams.

"Women who are taking a hormonal medication and are in the medical system having regular medical follow up visits may be having more regular breast exams by the clinician," Mason said. "And also they may be starting mammography earlier or having more regular mammograms."

"If there are differences in breast cancer screening, it can lead to these small increases in risk or contribute to these small increases in risk," she said.

Manson said women who already have an increased baseline risk of breast cancer due to family history or if they're BRCA positive, for example, may want to heed the study's findings.

Women in their 40s or older, who suffer from increased risk of breast cancer, may want to consider hormone-free contraceptive options, including IUDs that do not release hormones, having their tubes tied, or having their partner undergo a vasectomy, she said.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
This October my mom was released from the hospital, with the news of her of beating lung cancer. We had a huge celebration dinner and everything and life was going back to normal.

She did a PET scan last week and we found out today that it's back and more aggressive :/

She smoked for 14 years and quit about 8 years ago. I can only imagine how worse it would have been if she had never stopped...

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This October my mom was released from the hospital, with the news of her of beating lung cancer. We had a huge celebration dinner and everything and life was going back to normal.

She did a PET scan last week and we found out today that it's back and more aggressive :/

She smoked for 14 years and quit about 8 years ago. I can only imagine how worse it would have been if she had never stopped...
Sorry to hear that. =(

Here's hoping she'll beat it again!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I love Graces f too! I didn't get super into the main plot, but I liked the cast and the skits a lot. I wound up backtracking a ton so that I could see every single skit in the game. Vesperia is my favorite, but I think Graces f is the one I've played the most. Pascal and Hubert are my faves.

I'm not used to so many others saying good things about Graces F >_< haha Yeah the skits in that game are really great and Pascal only helped make them even greater (love her too). Hubert was great as well and even Malik was pretty funny. I should replay Vesperia one day soon as it's been so long, it's certainly up there in my top favorites.

I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope she's able to beat it once again and I send you both all the good wishes and hugs. -hugs-

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Damn :( Here's to hoping she beats it again.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone, I'm sure she can beat it again. Right now I'm prescribing her hugs until the doctors can move forward with treatment.