• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I've been busy lately, but happy belated Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans! I managed to avoid my family Thanksgiving (which I dread every year), so things worked out well for me.

I'm working the closing shift right now, but it's super slow in the store unfortunately :( I work in a small independent book store, and it's easily the best job I've ever had. We were actually starting to make a healthy profit and then they started doing construction right on top of us. Customers keep thinking we're closed for renovations, and business has slowed way down. It suuuucks, and I hope we can pull out of it soon.

Also I was all "eeeh I don't have time to play the Witcher 3" but I just started playing Trails in the Sky, so.... yeah. I really like it so far! I was worried I wouldn't, because I kept hearing it was slow. But it's charming and the characters are fun. It's technically "slow" I guess, but that hasn't been a bad thing.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
Anyone have any recommendations for a perfume that smells similar to Avon's Sweet Honesty. I've been wearing it for 20+ years but I'm turning 30 soon and thinking maybe I should not be wearing a children's perfume anymore but I really, really love the scent and there's a sentimental value there.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also I was all "eeeh I don't have time to play the Witcher 3" but I just started playing Trails in the Sky, so.... yeah. I really like it so far! I was worried I wouldn't, because I kept hearing it was slow. But it's charming and the characters are fun. It's technically "slow" I guess, but that hasn't been a bad thing.

I was one of those who found the first one slow and I really wasn't too into it... the second one really pulled me in, though- it's so good. Glad to hear you're liking the first one, tho! I think if you like the first one already, the 2nd one is really gonna be a wild ride. lol I also love Estelle. <3 Always great to have another awesome female lead in the world!

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want to contribute to other more general threads but I watch some of them and just... nah I'm good with my few OT's.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Asukui - yeah sometimes I start typing something out and then go... just not worth it.

Happy happy weekend y'all! Hope everyone is refreshed and ready!!!

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could participate in those threads more but I get lightheaded and stuff when people argue with me so I avoid it most of the time. Probably anxiety related tbh

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
tfw you are the only woman in a thread and someone brings up something related to women and all the men rush to tell you your perspective on women stuff is bullshit, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Idk if it's just me but I find the threads pertaining to social issues in games here on ERA to be more grating than the old place. A lot of mansplaining and dismissal and general pessimism against certain topics pertaining to social issues. I didn't frequent the old place too much but I don't remember avoiding those threads altogether like I find myself doing here.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a lot of trolls are 'monitoring' threads like those on other sites and are possibly posting in them because they have an active interest in shifting the tone of this site to one you'd see in literally every other gaming forum. I've kinda stopped reading threads like those now too because they are so grating. I already just lurk when it comes to those topics because I don't have it in me to argue about it, but it is nice to see that there's push back from some users that you would never see elsewhere. As for if the old place was like this, I think it varied at times, and there wasn't an off-site effort to fuck with it like there is now. There was always drive-by 'but my T&A!!!!' posters, but they seem way more numerous around here for the time being.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
the fact that I even feel compelled to say this in the relative safety of this thread but can't bring myself to venture into the threads where it's happening anymore says so much

i just can't when they glom onto any use of 'women' as a catch-all for 'women who specifically are/feel affected by this' to trot out: you don't speak for women. Yeah, neither do you, bud, so why not try listening to the one you're talking to? I can speak for one woman, myself, you can't speak for any at all, womp

And of course so many conveniently have this colleague/acquaintance/a cosplayer they saw on twitter who they assume is okay with the topic at hand (and I'm so sure they've spoken at length about it... lol) and it's like they expect that person's existence to magically nullify all valid criticisms. It's not actually a revelation that women have varying perspectives unless you were previously operating under the illusion that we're a hivemind.

tl;dr I'm tired but bless this thread

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I just report a bunch of shit. It's pretty easy to tell when people aren't trying to contribute to a discussion, and moderation has been great at responding to reports so far.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Apparently a lot of trolls are 'monitoring' threads like those on other sites and are possibly posting in them because they have an active interest in shifting the tone of this site to one you'd see in literally every other gaming forum. I've kinda stopped reading threads like those now too because they are so grating. I already just lurk when it comes to those topics because I don't have it in me to argue about it, but it is nice to see that there's push back from some users that you would never see elsewhere. As for if the old place was like this, I think it varied at times, and there wasn't an off-site effort to fuck with it like there is now. There was always drive-by 'but my T&A!!!!' posters, but they seem way more numerous around here for the time being.
I can absolutely assure you there's tons of people watching Era like a hawk, waiting for their chance to shitpost and troll, and it's annoying as all hell. With the demise of the old place and the founding of Era, those places lit up again like new year's eve.
Anyhow, it's not my position to say, but I guess I'd like to encourage y'all to keep participating, I'm at least somewhat sure the mods this time around will have an open ear if shit goes down. It's always great to have more input on these topics so even idiots like yours truly do understand things better, and the announced safeness of Era was one of the things I really liked when the site went up.

bai,
buf

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I can absolutely assure you there's tons of people watching Era like a hawk, waiting for their chance to shitpost and troll, and it's annoying as all hell. With the demise of the old place and the founding of Era, those places lit up again like new year's eve.
Anyhow, it's not my position to say, but I guess I'd like to encourage y'all to keep participating, I'm at least somewhat sure the mods this time around will have an open ear if shit goes down. It's always great to have more input on these topics so even idiots like yours truly do understand things better, and the announced safeness of Era was one of the things I really liked when the site went up.

bai,
buf
Love you baby cakes

Feel free to stop by whenever <3

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Sup my fellow ladies. I'm new to Era, wasn't on gaf before, but wanted to be part of a community and have people to talk to.
Hey, welcome!

Also, don't feel that some of you can't discuss things on here because of others, staff are always trying to keep on top of things, just hit the report button if anyone is being a major douche.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Is...is that the appropriate description to send?

Lol.
Haha, if you want. I mean, it usually helps to describe exactly what you found inappropriate about the post, but I have seen some person just put something like "this guy is a dick" before in the report lol. To be honest, though, it's usually quite obvious what the problem is by looking at the post.

thanks, this place seems like a safe haven from all the douchebaggery in most online forums.
Yeah, the staff are trying to make it good place for discussion without all the crap that you usually get on forums, but some bad eggs do get through sadly.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I started reporting more, and most of them are "REALLY?" or something along the lines.

I think it's self explanatory TBH.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sup my fellow ladies. I'm new to Era, wasn't on gaf before, but wanted to be part of a community and have people to talk to.
Welcome!

I do wonder how many like you (that were never on GAF) there are here. I imagine the percentage must be fairly low right now, but will of course grow over time.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a perfume that smells similar to Avon's Sweet Honesty. I've been wearing it for 20+ years but I'm turning 30 soon and thinking maybe I should not be wearing a children's perfume anymore but I really, really love the scent and there's a sentimental value there.
Honestly, sniff out some different kinds, but dont feel pressed to switch your perfume just because it's a "children's perfume". Who cares, you need to feel good not others. If you can't find another one I don't see the use in looking for one that smells similiar just to buy one that is not branded childish?

My bf for example still loves the one from when we met, and I still got that in my shelf.

Morrigan said:
I imagine the percentage must be fairly low right now, but will of course grow over time.
Dont think so, from what I have heard the email provider pool accepted is larger than the other side, also the time window with no special email required...

Also for quite sometime (still on going?) registration process wasn't handpicked here on Era which sped the process up but also lets through some people who were unreasonably denied access to the other place. (Sadly also some who should have denied here too, but the mod team is fast.)

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I sweatergod that sexualized designs thread still going blows my mind. It must be a requirement that every even semi-shitty man on Era has to pop in there at least once to tell women they are wrong.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that I have a strong desire to stick it to men and wish to purge all objectified fictional women from the annals of history.
My first target: Eve.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you, like, super pumped for the game and totally in love with her?

I SEE THROUGH YOUR LIES
So desperate for your gotcha moment. I was talking about the Biblical Eve.
Wait, are you talking about The 3rd Birthday? Less said about that, the better. And that Eve is An Actual Child, so how dare you?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
So desperate for your gotcha moment. I was talking about the Biblical Eve.
Wait, are you talking about The 3rd Birthday? Less said about that, the better. And that Eve is An Actual Child, so how dare you?
Yeah I thought you were talking about The Third Birthday, lol.

I saved myself the torment and never played it, so I wouldn't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sweatergod that sexualized designs thread still going blows my mind. It must be a requirement that every even semi-shitty man on Era has to pop in there at least once to tell women they are wrong.

I feel too exhausted to go into threads like that now. Which is probably not helping, because women staying out means it becomes even more of an echo chamber, but it seriously drains me of my will to do anything. Even post to non-toxic threads.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been posting in it lately but I read a few pages every so often. I had a good chuckle at the latest perma-ban from the thread.

"Yeah, that's right, ban me you idiots! Hahaha, got 'em! 8) Successfully trolled! Lololol"

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I've been feeling like social justice threads have been a little more hostile to basically the idea of social justice than the old forum. But I agree that there are a lot of trolls trying to sound reasonable, and hopefully they'll get weeded out when they slip.

I do wonder how many like you (that were never on GAF) there are here. I imagine the percentage must be fairly low right now, but will of course grow over time.

I used to lurk on GAF but I didn't have an account. I decided to just go for it when the switch happened.

I was one of those who found the first one slow and I really wasn't too into it... the second one really pulled me in, though- it's so good. Glad to hear you're liking the first one, tho! I think if you like the first one already, the 2nd one is really gonna be a wild ride. lol I also love Estelle. <3 Always great to have another awesome female lead in the world!

Happy to hear the 2nd game kicks it into gear! I've been stressed lately, so the chill vibe of the 1st is what I need tbh.

Someone got me Trails of Cold Steel a while ago. I popped it in my Vita, switched it on, and... it starts updating me on the plot because apparently it was Trails of Cold Steel II lol. They could've made the "II" a little more obvious on the box. So then I decided I might as well go all the way back to Trails in the Sky since that's what everyone recommends. And that's the story of how I got here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I love that even though I'm not a mod or involved with the decision making here in any way, I'm still getting blamed by a couple of people for mods poking the figure thread. I didn't even know anything was going on here with them! The grudges some people hold, man.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's your fault forever, Aeana.
Plus your avatar looks like you meant to do it and were just hoping not to get caught.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey that ladytaint detail was pure art

I started watching Big Little Lies yesterday and it is excellent. I didn't think I could get that into a drama about rich people, but it's a smart show.

There are spoilers in the article, don't click if you plan to watch

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/big-little-lies-is-a-commentary-on-gender-bias.html

Big Little Lies was a little series (only seven episode, which is limited even by limited-series standards) about very big things: domestic abuse, the nature versus nurture aspect of violence, the psychological damage caused by rape, the burdens and blessings of motherhood, and the way women can be each other's worst enemies and greatest boosters. But perhaps more than anything else, this show was about the natural human instinct to pass judgment on others, especially when those others are female. Every element of the series, from the behavior of its birthday-party-sabotaging principals to its basic narrative structure, spoke to the pervasiveness of gender bias.

As I've noted before, a lot of critics and writers (mostly, though not all, male) jumped to conclusions with regard to the entire show, describing Big Little Lies as a prestige-y version of a vapid nighttime soap even though each episode provided increasingly strong evidence that it was something deeper and more nuanced. Apparently you didn't have to look too far to find a real Greek chorus as predisposed to throw shade as the members of the Otter Bay community.

Speaking of which: Even though the observations offered by the members of that gossipy Greek chorus often felt redundant or disruptive to the show's flow, they also served an important narrative and thematic purpose, too, by reminding us how society skews our biases with regard to women.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I didn't know Persona was infamous for its highly sexualized women tbh. My husband and some coworkers play all the games. I never played any and watched my husband play Persona 5, but it didn't really appeal to me yet. I'd love a game similar to Persona 5 if there was a female lead, I think (or if it felt balanced?)

That's probably what I loved so much about FF9. Although Zidane was clearly the lead in the beginning, it really didn't feel like that as the game went on.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
I didn't know Persona was infamous for its highly sexualized women tbh. My husband and some coworkers play all the games. I never played any and watched my husband play Persona 5, but it didn't really appeal to me yet. I'd love a game similar to Persona 5 if there was a female lead, I think (or if it felt balanced?)

That's probably what I loved so much about FF9. Although Zidane was clearly the lead in the beginning, it really didn't feel like that as the game went on.
Persona 2 might be for you, but that's a much older title.