• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Sega, if they are wanting to create a mobile game, what's a woman need to do to get a Chao Garden raising mobile game. I spent sooooo much time in them, more then the main game in Sonic Adventure 1/2 and I desperately miss Chao Garden. Would love a mobile Chao raising game.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
In the Genesis days, did you ever think Sega would stoop to this kind of shit?
37767184_10100229221644926_9126259506282496000_n.jpg

I really hate what this once beloved series has become...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Not back then, but Sega's been about that life,for a while.
segahardgirls.gif

I didn't ask for this.

BTW, this is probably the first time I post here. I actively try not to, because I realize how frustrating the rest of the forum must be, and I don't wanna intrude with my male presence in here too much.
Oh yeah, they have, but damn, that ad was blunt.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Sega, if they are wanting to create a mobile game, what's a woman need to do to get a Chao Garden raising mobile game. I spent sooooo much time in them, more then the main game in Sonic Adventure 1/2 and I desperately miss Chao Garden. Would love a mobile Chao raising game.

I want this so bad. I'd drop so much money on it tbh, it might be for the best for me that it's not a thing that exists lol

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I want this so bad. I'd drop so much money on it tbh, it might be for the best for me that it's not a thing that exists lol

Yeah, I've played more then a few mobile games but so far have managed to not spend any real money on them. A Chao Garden mobile game? I'm not sure I could continue that trend haha

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I got really into Avengers Academy for a while. And it kept being like "Oh its only $10!" and by the time I was done playing I had spent more then I would for a new console video game. XD No thanks

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Don't think I've played any Sega games.

Off topic, but I just discovered one of my toe hairs had somehow grown almost a full centimeter. It was so gross, I yanked it out right away even though it hurt.

Now I'm tempted to wax my toes and fingers. Someone tell me I'm not the only one who does this!!!!

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
death to chao!
I got really into Avengers Academy for a while. And it kept being like "Oh its only $10!" and by the time I was done playing I had spent more then I would for a new console video game. XD No thanks
this is me but with the yugioh game Duel Links instead. had to quit cold turkey a few months ago after noticing how much i was spending on packs each month. ( ._.)

Oct 25, 2017
That was the best part of sonic adventure. I loved that minigame.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
I looked up Star Ocean Amanamanananana to see how... typical it was. I was not at all surprised to see "frequent/intense sexual content or nudity" in the content descriptors. It was all I needed to know.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I've played any Sega games.

Off topic, but I just discovered one of my toe hairs had somehow grown almost a full centimeter. It was so gross, I yanked it out right away even though it hurt.

Now I'm tempted to wax my toes and fingers. Someone tell me I'm not the only one who does this!!!!
My husband periodically shaves there because he inherited hobbit hands and feet from his dad (that's what he calls them).

I looked up Star Ocean Amanamanananana to see how... typical it was. I was not at all surprised to see "frequent/intense sexual content or nudity" in the content descriptors. It was all I needed to know.
That's what Star Ocean is now. :( 2 is still one of my all-time favorites.

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm (half) Italian. I have to shave or wax basically everywhere if I don't want to cosplay as Chewbacca.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Is this worse than SNK Heroines?

I think SNK heroines is rock bottom. Difficult to get lower than that. :/

It's really rather nasty how in Japan, "heroine" seems to have this connotiation of "women wearing fetish outfit and looking distressed".

The character artist, Tony Taka, is a hentai artist. And not a very good one at that.

Explains a lot, especially the boob window with a window -.-;

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to pop in here and say hi after seeing how the women problem and female threads went down. It made me decide to use the report button more in future. I will also try to be more active in discussions on women topics.

I'm a bit of an introvert and read along, but often need some time to put my feelings and opinions into words. Some threads move so fast that I feel like running a mile behind.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start the SMT series and I hope there's not an overabundance of shit that's going to make my eyes roll into the back of my head. That Shining stuff... wow.

I have vague memories of Shining Force 2 being incredible and accessible to my much younger self. We were a Sega house growing up so Shining Force was one of my first RPGs. It's flavored every experience I've had with SRPGs ever since. Namely, "why can't I walk around?! :("

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do we think of Shantae? I bought all the games recently and I don't know if I did good. I think the art is really cute but there's no doubt it's sexualized. I don't want to just give it a pass because it appeals to me. There's some sexualization that I'm a-okay with if it feels like the character has agency and is in control of how she presents herself. I have somewhat mixed feelings but I don't feel like the art is designed entirely around the male gaze. I don't loathe Bayonetta but there's no doubt that the character and poses (like when she gets on all fours and presents her vagina to the camera and you hear a shutter click...) cheapen the character and make me squirm a bit.

And can I say how much I love love love A Hat In Time? It's a game I wish existed when I was little and 3D platformers were my JAM.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm chomping at the bit this morning. Jeez.

I just posted in the first date red flag thread something that I want to discuss here. How many of you have been out with men on dates or otherwise and gotten uncomfortable with their anger? By far this has been one of the biggest deal breakers for me in every relationship I've ever been in. The amount of seemingly good men who carry that baggage around with them is surprising. I don't know if it's just my experience or the kinds of guys I attract (or am initially attracted to) but I found dating to be a bit like playing minesweeper.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I think SNK heroines is rock bottom. Difficult to get lower than that. :/
Nah, it can get worse for sure. There are the pedo games that are rightfully banned on this site, for one.
I'm about to start the SMT series and I hope there's not an overabundance of shit that's going to make my eyes roll into the back of my head. That Shining stuff... wow.
Nothing anywhere nearly as bad as that. In the PS2/4 Persona games, there's some anime stuff, like beach trips and such with the girls in bikinis, and related dialogue, and some of the demons don't have much in the way of coverings despite having a female-esque body, but otherwise the series is very tame in that regard. Especially the SMT side.

Oh yeah, and if you want strong, non-sexualized female characters, don't miss out on Persona 1 and 2. Yes they are old and old-school, but they have some great female PCs. 2: EP has a female lead as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Nah, it can get worse for sure. There are the pedo games that are rightfully banned on this site, for one.

Urgh. :( Yeah, I don't venture there, so I probably said that way too naively. Let me rephrase: Rock bottom in franchises I played.

What do we think of Shantae?

I found it incredibly hard to finish (Pirate's curse, that is). Everything bounces, and such. Gameplay was really solid, music was great, but I didn't like the service at all. Personal taste though.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

I just posted in the first date red flag thread something that I want to discuss here. How many of you have been out with men on dates or otherwise and gotten uncomfortable with their anger? By far this has been one of the biggest deal breakers for me in every relationship I've ever been in. The amount of seemingly good men who carry that baggage around with them is surprising. I don't know if it's just my experience or the kinds of guys I attract (or am initially attracted to) but I found dating to be a bit like playing minesweeper.

It's been a long time since I've dated, but whenever men would get angry with employees just trying to do their jobs it was always a big red flag. Like if someone got frustrated at a waiter or a retail employee.

I apply the same thing to friendships lately as well. My friends now ex husband got just SO angry at a rental car place, and even got to yelling fits. It was a frustrating situation but still dude, chill. There were a couple of other similar situations, but that one was the worst. Turns out he was abusing my friend for years.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Wow that thread is full of judgemental people. Now I have a desire to start a Horse and Disney thread.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
It's been a long time since I've dated, but whenever men would get angry with employees just trying to do their jobs it was always a big red flag. Like if someone got frustrated at a waiter or a retail employee.

I apply the same thing to friendships lately as well. My friends now ex husband got just SO angry at a rental car place, and even got to yelling fits. It was a frustrating situation but still dude, chill. There were a couple of other similar situations, but that one was the worst. Turns out he was abusing my friend for years.

This so much. I had to teach my bf that if we go out late for dinner and the place only has an hour till close I'll go somewhere else. Last hour these workers are closing down stuff and cleaning since I know they don't get much time maybe 30 minutes to do it after close and I dont want to bother them.

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, men who are assholes to people working in service industries weren't getting a second date. It says a lot about their personality and how they regard and treat people generally.

I think I'm a bit desensitised to fan service by decades of JRPGs at this point because I just didn't even notice it in Shantae really. I think they're really fun games if you're like me and tend to tune that stuff out. I did find the poses in Bayonetta gross though. It has to be blatant to get to me but once it does, I have a hard time appreciating the other aspects of the game, so I ended up never buying Bayonetta 2.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Just thought of another good SMT game for women: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Only 2 playable women, but they're both good, and there's an NPC woman who is also a strong character who plays a big role too. Basically ZERO fanservice except one of them has a tattoo (that's story-related) on her chest... and she's still more covered than like 90% of women depicted in gaming.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Anger or aggression is a huge red flag for me in any part of life. I dislike being around people losing their self control. I'll immediately go in rogue/thief mode. Just slink into the shadows and be on guard for escalations. Even if I am not personally threatened by this person I will for ever be on guard and keep my distance.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

This shouldn't necessarily stifle the conversation you want to have, but that thread was made as a joke. The OP and I are on a Discord server with some other people here, and he likes to pick fun at me by deriding women who enjoy having or riding horses. He made the thread as an excuse to try and get under my skin, because he's an immature brat, so I wouldn't count on a lot of serious conversation happening there.

The last guy I dated blew up on me out of no where. We'd been acquaintances for nine or ten months, and then dated for three weeks, when he found out I'm bi and that was just too much to handle. It was as if his ego took a huge hit and he felt he had to retaliate. So he damaged some of my things and he attacked me on social media. It was so stupid on his part because nobody took his side, and he lost a lot of friends that day. But I guess in the heat of something you don't really think about the consequences.

What do we think of Shantae? I bought all the games recently and I don't know if I did good. I think the art is really cute but there's no doubt it's sexualized. I don't want to just give it a pass because it appeals to me. There's some sexualization that I'm a-okay with if it feels like the character has agency and is in control of how she presents herself. I have somewhat mixed feelings but I don't feel like the art is designed entirely around the male gaze. I don't loathe Bayonetta but there's no doubt that the character and poses (like when she gets on all fours and presents her vagina to the camera and you hear a shutter click...) cheapen the character and make me squirm a bit.
I think they do more good than harm. I like them a lot and I think most of the designs are cute. None of the characters are really doe-eyed bimbos so that definitely helps.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to pop in here and say hi after seeing how the women problem and female threads went down. It made me decide to use the report button more in future. I will also try to be more active in discussions on women topics.

I'm a bit of an introvert and read along, but often need some time to put my feelings and opinions into words. Some threads move so fast that I feel like running a mile behind.
I always feel like I'm behind too. I post, come back 30 minutes later, and now there's 5 extra pages. I feel like I can't post anymore since the topic usually has moved on.

Btw great username.

Oct 27, 2017
Basically ZERO fanservice except one of them has a tattoo (that's story-related) on her chest... and she's still more covered than like 90% of women depicted in gaming.

Ooh. I love the DDS games (I still need to go back and finish the 2nd one). People so often overlook them since they were kind of their own thing - not Nocturne, not Persona, not Soul Hackers. They are great, and the atmosphere does not really lend itself to tee-hee hotspring boob-jiggle shit. Sure, Argilla's boobs... move on their own. Because they are chewing the fuck out of her enemies, all while she looks like she's wearing some amazing bandage powersuit that she designed for junkyard fashion week. Thank god for Kazuma Kaneko. The SMT-leaning games have actual genitalia in them (vagina dentata monster, mara) , and it's meant to be scary/alien, not hot.

Yeah, men who are assholes to people working in service industries weren't getting a second date. It says a lot about their personality and how they regard and treat people generally.

Yeah for sure. It's telling how someone treats people when they think they have a power advantage. If I see anyone, man or woman, taking their shit out on someone who can't escape or would get fired or punished if they don't just take it, I find it super gross. I stop wanting to be around them. People have bad days, sure, but some people get real mean and it's like "wow there sure are things going on under the surface here."

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I used to put a lot of time and effort into my posts and then no one read or responded.

99% of the time I will write something and then just hit the "X" at the upper right because... why bother.

Unless I either intentionally jazz it up or it's an already inflammatory topic I won't get any responses.

I guess after all this time I've realized the internet is not a good place for any kind of in-depth, good faith discussion.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
SMT Devil Survivor and its sequel's character designs were done by Suzuhito Yasuda. His female character designs for me run from okay to her breasts actually look like torpedos. He is also the character designer for the Is it Wrong to Try and Pickup Girls in a Dungeon (might not be the full title) light novel.

That red flag thread seemed more like deal breakers and nitpicks. Also the horse girl hate has always seemed bizarre to me.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh. I love the DDS games (I still need to go back and finish the 2nd one). People so often overlook them since they were kind of their own thing - not Nocturne, not Persona, not Soul Hackers. They are great, and the atmosphere does not really lend itself to tee-hee hotspring boob-jiggle shit. Sure, Argilla's boobs... move on their own. Because they are chewing the fuck out of her enemies, all while she looks like she's wearing some amazing bandage powersuit that she designed for junkyard fashion week. Thank god for Kazuma Kaneko. The SMT-leaning games have actual genitalia in them (vagina dentata monster, mara) , and it's meant to be scary/alien, not hot.
I miss Kaneko's designs. :(

SMT Devil Survivor and its sequel's character designs were done by Suzuhito Yasuda. His female character designs for me run from okay to her breasts actually look like torpedos. He is also the character designer for the Is it Wrong to Try and Pickup Girls in a Dungeon (might not be the full title) light novel..

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those games tbh. Not because of the character designs explicitly though. Not a huge fan of SRPGs in general.

Oct 27, 2017
SMT Devil Survivor and its sequel's character designs were done by Suzuhito Yasuda. His female character designs for me run from okay to her breasts actually look like torpedos.

The Devil Survivor designs themselves might be ok, but I have problems looking past the style which is very R18 doujin (women = baboing, men = maybe their balls haven't dropped yet).

I miss Kaneko's designs. :(

Me too. His style feels like such a key part of the SMT PS2 era, and the cel-shaded style worked great with it. I guess the last one of those games for me was Devil Summoner Raidou 2. It felt like a real return to form, despite the different battle system.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, the sexist dogwhistling in the latest Valkyria Chronicles 4 thread made me mad (see below). I'm sure I'm going to get a quotestorm from sexists now. Oh well.

The sexist dogwhistling in this thread is why women of this site made the "female" and "ERA has a woman problem" threads.

Edit: Yup, already getting mansplained. Fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Oh god, the sexist dogwhistling in the latest Valkyria Chronicles 4 thread made me mad (see below). I'm sure I'm going to get a quotestorm from sexists now. Oh well.

Yeah, the way some people act there is gross. I just don't understand why these guys must keep pretending that these games are totally fine, totally normal, no change there. It's so utterly disingenuous.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feast your eyes on this delight of a thread.

As soon as I read the 4th post I went "oh lawd" because they dared broach the subject of pornography.

And it just went downhill from there.

I have to remind myself over and over again that most of the people posting on ERA are at least 10 years younger than me and were likely born after the "games are for boys/men" marketing started.

They have no frame of reference to the 80s and early 90s when gaming was seen as a family activity, or at a minimum an activity for both boys and girls alike.

I have to remind myself that people posting "well gaming is starting to diversify!" have a limited scope.

Honestly that's one of the things that Stranger Things Season 2 got wrong, that the gang would be amazed by a girl in an arcade.

Sometimes I want to post that women have more of a right to anger than these GG/Alt-Right dudes do, considering we were intentionally erased from the entire hobby in the mid-90s by the game industry itself.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bailed on that thread after the first page because I knew it would be a clusterfuck. Surprised it only has 4 pages still.

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't even bring myself to look. But yeah, as a girl who started gaming in the 80s -- and it was my mum who got me started, at like age 3 -- it wasn't until the mid to late 90s that I received any gender-based prejudice about it. So it's always fun being told you're encroaching on 'their' hobby by lads who weren't alive when you started it.